shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this sapphire have an acceptable window?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate selling anything..haha

ME TOOOO! Oh lordy - it's like selling your house - same kind of stress! Half the time I prefer to pull the diamonds and sell the metal for scrap - always a huge loss, but at least no stress!

I have to say, I'm glad you're going a different direction. You've been paring down recently and this might have been a retrograde step.

I hear you re lavender spinel tho - I love lavender anything! But it has to be true lavender - not grey. I love all the purples! <3

Will look forward to hearing where you land with this.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
ME TOOOO! Oh lordy - it's like selling your house - same kind of stress! Half the time I prefer to pull the diamonds and sell the metal for scrap - always a huge loss, but at least no stress!

I have to say, I'm glad you're going a different direction. You've been paring down recently and this might have been a retrograde step.

I hear you re lavender spinel tho - I love lavender anything! But it has to be true lavender - not grey. I love all the purples! <3

Thanks @mrs-b I really love the setting..so I would like to keep it..I’m going with a precision cut lab gem..This way I don’t have to worry about windows...It will just be a fun ring to wear without throwing a ton of money into the ring I will only wear occasionally..I’m moving over to the appropriate thread. XOXO everyone!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @MamaBee -

I don't think that's a window. I think the darkness it's picking up is the top of whoever is wearing it. I think they were wearing a red top and it's giving the gem a deep purple looking center, that might be posing as a window-ish effect.

My feeling, tho, is that it's a little small for your setting and will sit a tad low. The color also seems a little weak to me, but as @Rfisher said - it's all about price. All up, I'd give it a 6/10 compared to a great fitting, great color sapphire, but a 9/10 if that's your budget and you're just looking for a nice sapphire and diamond ring you can wear from time to time. If you intend to set the stone then sell the ring, I'd give it a 10/10, as it would be a great way to rehab a very pretty setting and make it wearable for sale.

Question tho - you now have a ring-to-end-all-rings. *Would* you wear this? Do you wear right hand rings? Does it have any sentimental value? Your new diamond is absolutely top range, and I can imagine you getting a setting to match that. It would be mighty hard to *not* wear that ring, so - would you wear this one *with* it? I mean- that's a whoooole lotta bling - is that your taste? If so - awesome! if not - this might not be the way forward for you.

Just some food for thought.

(...and I support you whatever you do! I mean - it's a sapphire and diamond ring! How bad can it possibly be?!)

:mrgreen:

Yeah...everything @mrs-b said. LOL! Sorry @MamaBee . I'm completely ignorant of colored stones and can only say whether I personally like the color and think its pretty. I do totally agree with @mrs-b about whether you will wear it though compared to your other beauties.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @mrs-b I really love the setting..so I would like to keep it..I’m going with a precision cut lab gem..This way I don’t have to worry about windows...It will just be a fun ring to wear without throwing a ton of money into the ring I will only wear occasionally..I’m moving over to the appropriate thread. XOXO everyone!

i think that's the perfect way forward! Good decision.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah...everything @mrs-b said. LOL! Sorry @MamaBee . I'm completely ignorant of colored stones and can only say whether I personally like the color and think its pretty. I do totally agree with @mrs-b about whether you will wear it though compared to your other beauties.

Thanks @LLJsmom! I trust your eyes...That’s why I asked you..You may not know about gems but I had faith you would know a good one or a bad one..haha

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @LLJsmom! I trust your eyes...That’s why I asked you..You may not know about gems but I had faith you would know a good one or a bad one..haha

You're so sweet @MamaBee . I'm not sure I trust my eyes. LOL! I think the color is very pretty and I love the color of the stone. Reminds me of tanzanite. Personally, I think the fact that it's not quite the perfect size would bother me. I don't see any windows though. And I really like the style of the cut. What's weird about colored gem stones to me is when I see them cut like MRBs. When they're cut like an MRB I expect them to sparkle. But the whole point of colored stones is not the sparkle, but the COLOR. Anyway, I can't wait to see what direction you go with this. The setting is really lovely and colored stone would look perfect in it. Sorry again though. I wish I was more knowledgeable, but I'm afraid to say too much. I would probably be wrong.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're so sweet @MamaBee . I'm not sure I trust my eyes. LOL! I think the color is very pretty and I love the color of the stone. Reminds me of tanzanite. Personally, I think the fact that it's not quite the perfect size would bother me. I don't see any windows though. And I really like the style of the cut. What's weird about colored gem stones to me is when I see them cut like MRBs. When they're cut like an MRB I expect them to sparkle. But the whole point of colored stones is not the sparkle, but the COLOR. Anyway, I can't wait to see what direction you go with this. The setting is really lovely and colored stone would look perfect in it. Sorry again though. I wish I was more knowledgeable, but I'm afraid to say too much. I would probably be wrong.

Thanks @LLJsmom I passed on it. I already told David I’m going in a different direction for a stone..:cool2:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Your video was so far away I could not tell. What I could see was at an angle. Tilt window? Window? To small in the video to tell.

But that is neither here nor there.

Do not let anyone sway you here one way or another. If you like the stone that is all that matters. If you do not. That is all that matters.

The price is fine. Sometimes people here forget color and clarity is always the biggest price factor. The only way it is not is if it had a window so large you can read a whole paragraph of a newspaper and the stone is flat it could skip across a pond. A big pond.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your video was so far away I could not tell. What I could see was at an angle. Tilt window? Window? To small in the video to tell.

But that is neither here nor there.

Do not let anyone sway you here one way or another. If you like the stone that is all that matters. If you do not. That is all that matters.

The price is fine. Sometimes people here forget color and clarity is always the biggest price factor. The only way it is not is if it had a window so large you can read a whole paragraph of a newspaper and the stone is flat it could skip across a pond. A big pond.

Thank you @fredflintstone It seemed daunting to me. I gave up..haha

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay..An update. I contacted Gene from Precision Gems. He said it would be hard to cut a stone to fit in the setting because of the curvature of the bezel. It looks like I’m going to go for the said sapphire windowed or not!

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee, I’m happy you are getting the sapphire. It looks beautiful in the setting and the stone looked gorgeous. I love the color and it looks so pretty and feminine in the setting. Colored stones look beautiful with a halo. It was obvious you were excited about it in your original post. I’m all for buying things that make us happy.

Nancewbl

Rough_Rock
Okay..An update. I contacted Gene from Precision Gems. He said it would be hard to cut a stone to fit in the setting because of the curvature of the bezel. It looks like I’m going to go for the said sapphire windowed or not!

I think the ring with the new stone is absolutely beautiful. I also really like natural stones so I am very happy you decided to get it. I'll bet you will wear it often.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the ring with the new stone is absolutely beautiful. I also really like natural stones so I am very happy you decided to get it. I'll bet you will wear it often.

Thank you @Nancewbl! David Klass said he will set it and send it to me. If I don’t like it I can return it and he will take it back. I love the man second to my husband! Not really...but I like him a lot!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @
@MamaBee, I’m happy you are getting the sapphire. It looks beautiful in the setting and the stone looked gorgeous. I love the color and it looks so pretty and feminine in the setting. Colored stones look beautiful with a halo. It was obvious you were excited about it in your original post. I’m all for buying things that make us happy.

Thank you @Calliecake David said he’ll set it and send it to me. If I don’t like it he will take it back.

The color is beautiful and it fits your setting so well. I don't think the window (if there is one) would detract much from its beauty!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to tell you @MamaBee that I really love the color and the clarity. It just shimmers like the sea. I think it will look fab and am glad you’re going to try it. Dk will take it back so no loss of it doesn’t wow you.
Can’t wait to see it! And it will be perfect as a rhr if you are comfortable with one.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to tell you @MamaBee that I really love the color and the clarity. It just shimmers like the sea. I think it will look fab and am glad you’re going to try it. Dk will take it back so no loss of it doesn’t wow you.
Can’t wait to see it! And it will be perfect as a rhr if you are comfortable with one.

Thank you @Slick1 I don’t wear large right hand rings..mainly bands and small rings. It’s actually too much bling for me at one time..What am I saying?! :eek2: Haha I would wear it with the channel set band I bought for the setting on my left hand. I loved them together. If we ever get out of this Covid mess I’ll have more opportunity to wear it.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm much more forgiving of 'imperfection' in CS and I think the color is a beautiful periwinkle. It has personality and I agree it has a wonderful water quality. I'm excited to see it up close. I think you may end up liking it more than you think.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm much more forgiving of 'imperfection' in CS and I think the color is a beautiful periwinkle. It has personality and I agree it has a wonderful water quality. I'm excited to see it up close. I think you may end up liking it more than you think.

Thank you @ItsMainelyYou! I know my color preferences are different than many people. I prefer a lighter blue..I was quite happy to see the lighter blue color outside. I’m very curious to see what it looks like in person.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update! Bad news! I told David I wanted the sapphire...There was a miscommunication between us because I was wondering why it was taking a while to set..so I contacted him. He sent it back...I thought maybe I didn’t make myself clear..I did find where I told him I wanted it but it was buried in lots of emails between us. Back to square one. If he can get it back I’m sure he’ll try...but I’m sure it’s gone. Oh well..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update again! Haha He got it back! He’s setting it now..He said I didn’t have to pay until I know I like it! The man is a saint!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @ItsMainelyYou! I know my color preferences are different than many people. I prefer a lighter blue..I was quite happy to see the lighter blue color outside. I’m very curious to see what it looks like in person.

I am right there with you, this is the color I am hoping to find.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am right there with you, this is the color I am hoping to find.

Thank you @cellimom..I really like that it has a touch of lavender in it..I’m crossing my fingers!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I personally like the color. The fact that its got a window will be something only you'll know if you find tolerable or not. Certainly I'm a color whore first and foremost though....lol Still with that, there are things I just won't tolerate, unless the material happens to be dead on rare and I know I wouldn't ever be able to get it at any price that wouldn't send me into a tailspin.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First I was disappointed and then thrilled. Yay!! He is a saint!! Can’t wait to see it. Love the color!

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I think it will be gorgeous and love the color. Can’t wait to see it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results