shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this sapphire have an acceptable window?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

72AC8AAD-B444-400C-9A63-44147918461B.jpeg
6DABCAE4-5815-4937-BDB4-A4456D20BCB0.jpeg

I had DK remove my cushion diamond to reset into a bangle. David found this sapphire that fits in my setting perfectly. It looks like it has a window. This is the same sapphire I posted before..but that was inside. I asked for a video of it outdoors. The second one is indoors...Opinions please! Thank you!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi MamaBee I think it looks pretty nice. It’s a nice color and sapphires are hard to photograph. I have several cushion sapphires. They are smaller than this and and yes they do have some windows but they are quite nice. It looks great in your ring.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi MamaBee I think it looks pretty nice. It’s a nice color and sapphires are hard to photograph. I have several cushion sapphires. They are smaller than this and and yes they do have some windows but they are quite nice. It looks great in your ring.

Thank you @marcy! I was hoping you would answer because you have such a lovely collection.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks MamaBee. The cushions I have definitely don’t perform like my rounds but I actually really like their chunky facets.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee it is a pretty color. From the short video it looks acceptable window wise (all I can see is the center area which almost looks like a bit culet (which I like lol) but I really would like to see it move more slowly in a longer video to get a better idea...what does David think? I would trust his judgment. I hate windows in colored gemstones. I really hate them.

But since @marcy gave it the seal of approval she is the expert and I would go with her! It is such a pretty color.

Share the outdoor video when you get it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Acceptable" is based on personal tolerance. I dislike windows and so I am biased. The only time I give it a pass is if it is extremely small, the colour is superb and the material is very rare.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Acceptable window - to some - will also be related to price.
Acceptable for $500 stone? Sure.
Acceptable for $5000 stone? Maybe not?

it’s nice to be able to utilize your old setting :)

@Rfischer The sapphire is $2350. I would like your opinion if I should pass. Thanks!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Acceptable" is based on personal tolerance. I dislike windows and so I am biased. The only time I give it a pass is if it is extremely small, the colour is superb and the material is very rare.

@chrono So you think I should pass? It would cost $2350. Thanks

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee it is a pretty color. From the short video it looks acceptable window wise (all I can see is the center area which almost looks like a bit culet (which I like lol) but I really would like to see it move more slowly in a longer video to get a better idea...what does David think? I would trust his judgment. I hate windows in colored gemstones. I really hate them.

But since @marcy gave it the seal of approval she is the expert and I would go with her! It is such a pretty color.

Share the outdoor video when you get it.

Thank you @missy..I don’t think he’s bothered by windows. He offered me an aquamarine a while ago for a different ring that had a window in the center. IDK

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks MamaBee. The cushions I have definitely don’t perform like my rounds but I actually really like their chunky facets.

Your rings and sapphire are gorgeous @marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @missy..I don’t think he’s bothered by windows. He offered me an aquamarine a while ago for a different ring that had a window in the center. IDK

Yeah then you need more videos I think to see if it’s acceptable to you. I am not a fan of windows if they’re noticeable when the stone is set.

voce

Ideal_Rock
The video and the outdoor shot look quite nice, but the indoor photo doesn't wow me. How do you feel towards this sapphire? Would you reach for it and wear it enough? Would you be seeing it more often in the indoor or outdoor environment? Those would be considerations besides the pricing I would ask myself.

Also, just curious--is the setting close to a calibrated size? If so, I'd ask to have that sapphire set aside for the time being but have David try looking for something better.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah then you need more videos I think to see if it’s acceptable to you. I am not a fan of windows if they’re noticeable when the stone is set.

@missy I don’t like windows either. I just sent David an honest email saying I posted for opinions here. I also asked for his opinion. I’m not even sure I’m looking at a window. I’m hoping someone will just tell me what they think. I’ll get back to him later.
I want to use my setting but I don’t want a window that’s the main focus. I would rather have something cut to fit.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The video and the outdoor shot look quite nice, but the indoor photo doesn't wow me. How do you feel towards this sapphire? Would you reach for it and wear it enough? Would you be seeing it more often in the indoor or outdoor environment? Those would be considerations besides the pricing I would ask myself.

Also, just curious--is the setting close to a calibrated size? If so, I'd ask to have that sapphire set aside for the time being but have David try looking for something better.

@voce Thank you..Yes it’s an almost perfect fit. That’s kind of hard for a cushion..especially for the existing setting that was made for my diamond.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I don’t like windows either. I just sent David an honest email saying I posted for opinions here. I also asked for his opinion. I’m not even sure I’m looking at a window. I’m hoping someone will just tell me what they think. I’ll get back to him later.
I want to use my setting but I don’t want a window that’s the main focus. I would rather have something cut to fit.

Calling @tyty333 she is knowledgeable about windows. I agree getting something perfect for you so you’ll wear it is key. Otherwise there’s no point. You don’t need unworn jewelry laying about. You want to love it so you’ll enjoy wearing it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's definitely a window. I see it in the still pictures too, only that it is harder to make out due to the shadowing onto the stone but you can still see it. It probably won't bother most people but as I said, personal tolerance.

ETA
I see that it is bezel set, which makes the decision making more difficult. Let's go back to the main point. Do you LOVE the colour? Will you wear this ring often? Do not get the stone just for the sake of it fitting into the setting. It's ok to have an empty setting sitting around for a while.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If me, and I was already able/willing to entertain the thought of a custom cut
( and that brings its own caveats of ‘will I love it/color’ after it’s done and paid for upfront)
I’d have the setting and stone sent to me before setting so I could see myself in multiple of my own environments.
I’d also be asking what accommodations need to be made to the setting to accept this current sapphire? If any? Longer prongs, wider bezel......covering all bases...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If me, and I was already able/willing to entertain the thought of a custom cut
( and that brings its own caveats of ‘will I love it/color’ after it’s done and paid for upfront)
I’d have the setting and stone sent to me before setting so I could see myself in multiple of my own environments.
I’d also be asking what accommodations need to be made to the setting to accept this current sapphire? If any? Longer prongs, wider bezel......covering all bases...

Thanks @Rfisher I’m sure David could set it exactly like it was when I had my diamond in it. My other concern is this will be an occasional ring. I absolutely love the setting but don’t want to spend tons of money on a stone. I’m willing to do a different gem..but finding one to fit like this one will be a challenge.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's definitely a window. I see it in the still pictures too, only that it is harder to make out due to the shadowing onto the stone but you can still see it. It probably won't bother most people but as I said, personal tolerance.

ETA
I see that it is bezel set, which makes the decision making more difficult. Let's go back to the main point. Do you LOVE the colour? Will you wear this ring often? Do not get the stone just for the sake of it fitting into the setting. It's ok to have an empty setting sitting around for a while.

@chrono I’m unlucky that I don’t have any gems at the moment...so I’m pretty clueless. All the other factors like zoning wouldn’t probably bother me. My daughter-in-law has an aquamarine with a little window in the middle. It was the first thing I noticed. I think a bigger one would bother me. I would rather have a less expensive well cut gem than a higher priced stone like a sapphire with a window. That’s not saying I think the $2350 is too expensive. It just comes down to how much I want to spend on a stone in an occasional ring.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour is nice it looks quite clean from the photos/videos.

The window is not glaringly obvious to me personally. Whether that is acceptable or not is down to personal preferences entirely.

Some would say no to any window, whereas some would accept a small window if the stone's other qualities such as colour and the amount of inclusions greatly appeal them.

DK :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The colour is nice it looks quite clean from the photos/videos.

The window is not glaringly obvious to me personally. Whether that is acceptable or not is down to personal preferences entirely.

Some would say no to any window, whereas some would accept a small window if the stone's other qualities such as colour and the amount of inclusions greatly appeal them.

DK :))

Thank you @dk168 I may consider an alternative........

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @MamaBee -

I don't think that's a window. I think the darkness it's picking up is the top of whoever is wearing it. I think they were wearing a red top and it's giving the gem a deep purple looking center, that might be posing as a window-ish effect.

My feeling, tho, is that it's a little small for your setting and will sit a tad low. The color also seems a little weak to me, but as @Rfisher said - it's all about price. All up, I'd give it a 6/10 compared to a great fitting, great color sapphire, but a 9/10 if that's your budget and you're just looking for a nice sapphire and diamond ring you can wear from time to time. If you intend to set the stone then sell the ring, I'd give it a 10/10, as it would be a great way to rehab a very pretty setting and make it wearable for sale.

Question tho - you now have a ring-to-end-all-rings. *Would* you wear this? Do you wear right hand rings? Does it have any sentimental value? Your new diamond is absolutely top range, and I can imagine you getting a setting to match that. It would be mighty hard to *not* wear that ring, so - would you wear this one *with* it? I mean- that's a whoooole lotta bling - is that your taste? If so - awesome! if not - this might not be the way forward for you.

Just some food for thought.

(...and I support you whatever you do! I mean - it's a sapphire and diamond ring! How bad can it possibly be?!)

:mrgreen:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @mrs-b and my thought is that you need to be realistic with yourself about whether you'd wear it or not. I think $2350 is fine if you like the sapphire and can see yourself enjoying the ring, but if in reality you're not going to reach for it often, it doesn't make sense to me tho spend two grand on something that's going to sit inside your jewelry box.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi @MamaBee -

I don't think that's a window. I think the darkness it's picking up is the top of whoever is wearing it. I think they were wearing a red top and it's giving the gem a deep purple looking center, that might be posing as a window-ish effect.

My feeling, tho, is that it's a little small for your setting and will sit a tad low. The color also seems a little weak to me, but as @Rfisher said - it's all about price. All up, I'd give it a 6/10 compared to a great fitting, great color sapphire, but a 9/10 if that's your budget and you're just looking for a nice sapphire and diamond ring you can wear from time to time. If you intend to set the stone then sell the ring, I'd give it a 10/10, as it would be a great way to rehab a very pretty setting and make it wearable for sale.

Question tho - you now have a ring-to-end-all-rings. *Would* you wear this? Do you wear right hand rings? Does it have any sentimental value? Your new diamond is absolutely top range, and I can imagine you getting a setting to match that. It would be mighty hard to *not* wear that ring, so - would you wear this one *with* it? I mean- that's a whoooole lotta bling - is that your taste? If so - awesome! if not - this might not be the way forward for you.

Just some food for thought.

(...and I support you whatever you do! I mean - it's a sapphire and diamond ring! How bad can it possibly be?!)

:mrgreen:

Thank you @mrs-b! @voce I agree that I wouldn’t wear it often..because most likely I would wear it on my left hand with the diamond band I purchased for that setting. I don‘t like rich saturated color which is less expensive..which is great. I like light pastel and medium color in everything..pretty much..It’s soothing to me. A light blue sapphire or lavender spinel would be my favorites...I just don’t know that I’ll find a cushion to fit in there without having a custom cut..I don’t want to pay that for an occasional setting. I think I’m going to pass on this stone..XO

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @mrs-b and @voce
I just remembered you don’t wear right hand rings. Don’t rush into this. Think about it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @mrs-b! I agree that I wouldn’t wear it often..because most likely I would wear it on my left hand with the diamond band I purchased for that setting. I don‘t like rich saturated color which is less expensive..which is great. I like light pastel and medium color in everything..pretty much..It’s soothing to me. A light blue sapphire or lavender spinel would be my favorites...I just don’t know that I’ll find a cushion to fit in there without having a custom cut..I don’t want to pay that for an occasional setting. I think I’m going to pass on this stone..XO

Maybe consider selling the setting?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone. I think I’m going to go in a different direction..XOXO

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results