shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this cushion have a bowtie? Or just bad lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there any way to tell from pics if a cushion has a bowtie? This stone was recommended to us by Mark at ERD, who I would tend to trust, but in the picture he sent us it looks like it might have a bow tie. Or do you think it might just be the lighting? Is there any way to tell if it''s just the lighting?

Thanks!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
I would ask Mark and trust him for now (you can change your mind after you inspect it personally). Cushions require movement to really see how they return light under the table. At different angles different facets will reflect the light and others will be a little darker.

Isn''t "bowtie" observed through the width of the stone rather than the length? If so, what you are seeing here is not really "bowtie" at all.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 4:05:25 PM
Author: boston_jeff
I would ask Mark and trust him for now (you can change your mind after you inspect it personally). Cushions require movement to really see how they return light under the table. At different angles different facets will reflect the light and others will be a little darker.

Isn''t ''bowtie'' observed through the width of the stone rather than the length? If so, what you are seeing here is not really ''bowtie'' at all.
That''s my understanding.

And I too think you should just ask Mark, he''ll be honest.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the quick advice! I also thought bowties were only seen on the sides...and Mark said this is a great stone and he really has no incentive to tell us otherwise since he would have to call it in for us. So I will probably just trust him now that you guys also have the same opinions of bowties as me.

I just don''t want to bother him too often! THANK YOU!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 4:19:16 PM
Author: neatfreak
Thanks for the quick advice! I also thought bowties were only seen on the sides...and Mark said this is a great stone and he really has no incentive to tell us otherwise since he would have to call it in for us. So I will probably just trust him now that you guys also have the same opinions of bowties as me.

I just don''t want to bother him too often! THANK YOU!!!
Well there ya go.
2.gif

And you''re welcome!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks pretty nice to me. Anyone can take a picture that either exacerbates or eliminates any bowtie effect a stone might have....so it helps to see the stone in different lighting conditions, or in person.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should ask ERD what faceting patern reflects the effect in the image....?
Does he have a correct faceting sketch he can show you?

What is the Total Depth?

It does look like an interesting face-up....

FacetReflect.JPG

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depth is 68% and table is 55%. It seems to face up nicely compared to others of it''s size, and I think those are in a good range right?

What I love about it is it''s another ex/ex cushion, which seem to be hard to find.

As for the faceting...I asked for a cushion brilliant, but don''t know the facet pattern other than that. I''ll have to find out...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 3:50:25 PM
Author:neatfreak
Is there any way to tell from pics if a cushion has a bowtie? This stone was recommended to us by Mark at ERD, who I would tend to trust, but in the picture he sent us it looks like it might have a bow tie. Or do you think it might just be the lighting? Is there any way to tell if it''s just the lighting?

Thanks!
No... I don''t see a bowtie here - this stone is cut on a quadrant type (my personal unofficial term lol) and a bowtie requires facets at 3/6 o''clock rather than facet JUNCTIONS at those locations like this stone you''ve posted has.

It doesn''t look exactly like a modern cushion either though... it''s unusual. That could be a good thing! But it looks uinfamiliar to me.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 4:44:50 PM
Depth is 68% and table is 55%. It seems to face up nicely compared to others of it''s size, and I think those are in a good range right?

What I love about it is it''s another ex/ex cushion, which seem to be hard to find.

As for the faceting...I asked for a cushion brilliant, but don''t know the facet pattern other than that. I''ll have to find out...
that does not look like a cushion brilliant to my eye. It looks like some sort of modified. It might even be a 4pav main. See if you can get a copy of the cert including the "inclusion plot" (which will act somewhat like a blueprint of the facets).

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2007 4:48:25 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 3/5/2007 4:44:50 PM
Depth is 68% and table is 55%. It seems to face up nicely compared to others of it's size, and I think those are in a good range right?

What I love about it is it's another ex/ex cushion, which seem to be hard to find.

As for the faceting...I asked for a cushion brilliant, but don't know the facet pattern other than that. I'll have to find out...
that does not look like a cushion brilliant to my eye. It looks like some sort of modified. It might even be a 4pav main. See if you can get a copy of the cert including the 'inclusion plot' (which will act somewhat like a blueprint of the facets).
According to the cullet facet shape..., Cehra is right!!!!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
To me it still looks like an 8pav main "modern" cushion, although a little different from the ones I typically have seen... these have beenn described to me as an "X, X" cushion (facets create one 'X', facet junctions create the other 'X')-- this is what Cehra calls the "quadrant" cushion... with a 4pav main, you would not have the X going through the middle of the stone (instead you would have the mains here)... in the picture it looks like there are facet junctions here, not mains.

I think the confusion is that some certs call the "quadrant" cushions "cushion brilliant" and others call them "cushion modified brilliant" despite the same facet plots... and I'm pretty sure ERD calls these cushion brilliants...

This one looks a little different because it is elongated and might have an open culet.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2007 5:10:40 PM
I think this is an 8pav main cushion... what has been described to me as an ''X, X'' cushion (facets create one ''X'', facet junctions create the other ''X'')-- this is what Cehra calls the ''quadrant'' cushion... with a 4pav main, you would not have the X going through the middle of the stone (instead you would have the mains here)... in the picture it looks like there are facet junctions here, not mains.

I think the confusion is that some certs call the ''quadrant'' cushions ''cushion brilliant'' and others call them ''cushion modified brilliant'' despite the same facet plots... and I''m pretty sure ERD calls these cushion brilliants...

This one looks a little different because it is elongated and might have an open culet.
NEWS FLASH!!!

Even GIA has tons of mistakes matching up the right plots/sketches or names to the Cushions they grade!!!!
I have seen plenty of identical Cushions with a certain uniformed faceting arrangement get GIA reports made from all different names and plots!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
That was basically my point, so we don''t disagree... that 8pav main "modern" cushions can be "cushion brilliants" or "cushion modified brilliants"--

I was just saying that it looks most like an 8pav main modern cushion to me.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've got the plot: Any idea what it is? I guess it doesn't really matter because I do love the facet pattern on it regardless...but I am certainly curious! Now just need to get the BF moving before someone else takes it!

pico22fcert.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m no cushion expert, but I am a beauty expert, and that stone is beautiful!
28.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I think Jeff if right, my bet is it's one of the Daniel K style of cushions that's called cushion brilliant on the report with 8 "rotated" mains. The 4 larger ones result in the diamond-shaped culet, and two thinner mains terminate at the points of the culet top and bottom. There was no bowtie in the stone like this that I saw. More sparkle than big flash, but performs very well.

edit - yep
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 5:10:40 PM
To me it still looks like an 8pav main ''modern'' cushion, although a little different from the ones I typically have seen... these have beenn described to me as an ''X, X'' cushion (facets create one ''X'', facet junctions create the other ''X'')-- this is what Cehra calls the ''quadrant'' cushion... with a 4pav main, you would not have the X going through the middle of the stone (instead you would have the mains here)... in the picture it looks like there are facet junctions here, not mains.

I think the confusion is that some certs call the ''quadrant'' cushions ''cushion brilliant'' and others call them ''cushion modified brilliant'' despite the same facet plots... and I''m pretty sure ERD calls these cushion brilliants...

yeah if you look at where the mains hit - the 8 hit the culet... but if you eliminated the culet they wouldn''t all hit the center point... that''s why it looks like a 4main to me. It could go either way really...

The confusion over what they use on their certs is maddening, isn''t it? LOL

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2007 5:19:38 PM

I''ve got the plot: Any idea what it is? I guess it doesn''t really matter because I do love the facet pattern on it regardless...but I am certainly curious! Now just need to get the BF moving before someone else takes it!
If that is the plot on the report...., 90% its the wrong plot.
Based on the culet facet shape...., there are no eight pavilion facets reaching the culet area. (period).

Plus the 8 mains (on both pavilion and crowns) are not aligned the same.
The image still seems like a beautiful cushion to me.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 5:24:56 PM
Author: DiaGem

I''ve got the plot: Any idea what it is? I guess it doesn''t really matter because I do love the facet pattern on it regardless...but I am certainly curious! Now just need to get the BF moving before someone else takes it!

Based on the culet facet shape...., there are no eight pavilion facets reaching the culet area. (period).

Interesting... That is odd considering that it is the plot that is on the GIA cert. Maybe they need to do some more research on cushions on PS!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

oh I dunno DG lol - the other 4 could hit the culet *barely* :D

Just an aside - you have no idea how much I love having several cushion lovers to discuss/debate this stuff with :) :) :)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I actually think it totally does look like a modern cushion...I think it's a fabulous stone and that is by no stretch a bowtie....I think it's fabulous!

Edited: I just saw the plot and it is totally a modern cushion...It's a tad rectangular which might make it look a little diff from mine...I can't imagine passing that up...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 5:28:07 PM

Interesting... That is odd considering that it is the plot that is on the GIA cert. Maybe they need to do some more research on cushions on PS!!!
if they''re doing their research here, does that mean I get to name the cushions? Because if I get to name them, I''m gonna come up with something better than 4pavmain and quadrant and these other silly terms I use LOL How about a nod to Jeff and have "8 equitorial facets" and "8 equitorial junctions" LOL

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2007 5:28:07 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

oh I dunno DG lol - the other 4 could hit the culet *barely* :D

Just an aside - you have no idea how much I love having several cushion lovers to discuss/debate this stuff with :) :) :)
I seriously doubt it!!! Anyway you look at it...
IT IS STILL THE WRONG PLOT!!!!

Enjoy the debate...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
maybe i''m missing something..it totally looks like a more rectangular verion of mine which is that plot and ex/ex...

whatever. who cares. LOL.... It''s awesome.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 5:29:40 PM
Author: moremoremore
I actually think it totally does look like a modern cushion...I think it''s a fabulous stone and that is by no stretch a bowtie....I think it''s fabulous!

Edited: I just saw the plot and it is totally a modern cushion...It''s a tad rectangular which might make it look a little diff from mine...I can''t imagine passing that up...

Regardless of what it is...I am REALLY REALLY hoping that my BF won''t give it up! We''ll just have to wait and see. I told him I was butting out of it now that he is armed with my PS knowledge. And I''m trying really really hard to do it!
17.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2007 5:33:51 PM

Date: 3/5/2007 5:29:40 PM
Author: moremoremore
I actually think it totally does look like a modern cushion...I think it''s a fabulous stone and that is by no stretch a bowtie....I think it''s fabulous!

Edited: I just saw the plot and it is totally a modern cushion...It''s a tad rectangular which might make it look a little diff from mine...I can''t imagine passing that up...

Regardless of what it is...I am REALLY REALLY hoping that my BF won''t give it up! We''ll just have to wait and see. I told him I was butting out of it now that he is armed with my PS knowledge. And I''m trying really really hard to do it!
17.gif
Good luck on it..., like I said..., it looks like an interesting beautiful Diamond.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
If anything, I see some darkness going the long way (north-south). Difficult to tell in a single pic though.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Your picture looks fabulous compared to what Mark sent to me. I didn't even show it to my boyfriend because he would have never allowed Mark to send it to us. He would have given up on it just from that pic. It was so bad that all I could determine was that I liked the shape. There were a lot of dark areas and Mark said he tried several times and couldn't get a better pic. The stone matched all my criteria on paper and Mark said that even thought the pic was bad he hoped I would look at it because he thought it would satisfy my request. I just asked Mark outright if there was a bowtie. He said no, we trusted Mark and we are thrilled with the stone.

I'm going to try to attach the pic that Mark sent to me. That will make you feel better...lol

Sorry, right now I don't have a way to attach pics from my camera or I would send you a good one for comparison to ease your mind. Just because of my good experience with Mark, I say you may want to just have a look
2.gif

Good luck!

Edited to say: Big and blurry...not sure that helped much. My stone actually looks a little longer than this, too, so the shape didn't even photograph well....lol

cushion011607.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 5:58:20 PM
Author: dianne
Your picture looks fabulous compared to what Mark sent to me. I didn''t even show it to my boyfriend because he would have never allowed Mark to send it to us. He would have given up on it just from that pic. It was so bad that all I could determine was that I liked the shape. There were a lot of dark areas and Mark said he tried several times and couldn''t get a better pic. The stone matched all my criteria on paper and Mark said that even thought the pic was bad he hoped I would look at it because he thought it would satisfy my request. I just asked Mark outright if there was a bowtie. He said no, we trusted Mark and we are thrilled with the stone.

I''m going to try to attach the pic that Mark sent to me. That will make you feel better...lol

Sorry, right now I don''t have a way to attach pics from my camera or I would send you a good one for comparison to ease your mind. Just because of my good experience with Mark, I say you may want to just have a look
2.gif

Good luck!

Edited to say: Big and blurry...not sure that helped much. My stone actually looks a little longer than this, too, so the shape didn''t even photograph well....lol
LOL!! I know what you mean - I think the pic at the top of this thread is maybe THE best stone shot I''ve seen from Mark. If you know what you''re looking for and you trust him though, it really is just verification. I don''t think his shots would have been helpful to me early in my search though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results