shape
carat
color
clarity

Does it look completely stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 9:24:16 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
TL when you look at the Tiffany and you look at yours, it''s incredibly hard to justify Tiffany''s ludicrous prices isn''t it? I know you''ve taken extreme close ups of the ring which emphasizes the metal around the rim so can you take a photo of the ring on your finger at ''normal'' length please? I bet it looks hubba hubba licious! I love it anyway but would love to see a more normal perspective ................... off to find a Spess now!!!! I WANT ONE! See what you''ve done to me? lol
LD,
You mean to tell me that there''s actually a gem variety you don''t have???!!
6.gif

Thanks for the kind words, and yes, when I got the ring, the first thing that came to my mind was Tiffany and they''re incredibly ridiculous pricing. I think a Tiff&Co sales rep once mistook LaurenThePartier''s LOGR legacies as one of their own. She wrote about it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 9:43:08 AM
Author: cellentani
Well, I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to settings, but seeing a bit of the rim doesn't bug me much on your ring. Seriously, IRL, I'd be so drawn to the spess, I'd hardly even notice, especially when seeing it at an angle (or when you're telling me to back-off 'cause I'm getting too close!). Does the stone sit high because of the bezel rim? I finally won an auction for one of those, and I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do, but I'm thinking about having LOGR take off the bezel (so it doesn't stick up at all) and add prongs. Do you have a profile shot?

And, I'm so jealous you have a spess in that size - pretty amazing!

ETA: TL, have you ever gotten 18K white gold from LOGR? I was wondering if it would be less grey. I know you didn't find much difference in the RG 18K.
Cellentani,
Thanks for your kind words.

Unless you look super close, the rim is not noticable, and all you do notice is the big orange color of it. The spessartite is 3.5 carats, but is cut a bit shallow, so it does look huge. The halo also helps to make it look larger. It has a small window, but it completely disappears in the setting, which is also nice.

I don't have any 18K white gold rings from LOGR. I do have an 18K yellow and an 18K rose gold ring from LOGR, and there is a slight difference in the warmth of those gold colors in comparison to their 14K counterparts.

I'll try to get a profile shot. It does sit a little high, but for this stone, I'm glad it does so that the light gets in. I would worry about it going a bit dark if it was sitting lower, or bezeled for that matter. The jeweler just added prongs to the bezel. I wonder how much LOGR would charge to add prongs to this since it cost $120 to add four prongs to this one. It is something that he can probably do for an extra charge.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 9:42:36 AM
Author: icekid
It seems to fit fairly well given a cushion setting for an emerald cut stone. You need to work on those photos though, all of that brown...
3.gif
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 12:46:45 AM
Author: sleepyspinel
What a pretty tangerine bauble you have there! It looks REALLY big too, gotta love the magnification effect of the good old halo ;-)
Congrats
12.gif

Date: 7/17/2009 11:29:46 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
From further away, but not perfectly head on.
Thanks Sleepy, you are very kind.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 1:16:14 AM
Author: Lovinggems
Beautiful stone and ring, it''ll look gorgeous on your hand, glad your jeweller was able to do a nice job positioning the stone.
12.gif
Thank you LG!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 11:08:26 AM

TL when you look at the Tiffany and you look at yours, it''s incredibly hard to justify Tiffany''s ludicrous prices isn''t it? I know you''ve taken extreme close ups of the ring which emphasizes the metal around the rim so can you take a photo of the ring on your finger at ''normal'' length please? I bet it looks hubba hubba licious! I love it anyway but would love to see a more normal perspective ................... off to find a Spess now!!!! I WANT ONE! See what you''ve done to me? lol
LD,
6.gif

Thanks for the kind words, and yes, when I got the ring, the first thing that came to my mind was Tiffany and they''re incredibly ridiculous pricing. I think a Tiff&Co sales rep once mistook LaurenThePartier''s LOGR legacies as one of their own. She wrote about it.
Don''t be silly TL of course I have one!!!! I just don''t have a gorgous one I can set!!!!! Where would you recommend for a great Spess (not expensive) with more orange/yellow than brown?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hey TL, can I threadjack? I think I want to put my pink tourm in YG, and since you have both 14K and 18K, which would you recommend? I''m thinking that 18K might be a little too warm.... And of course, if you think I''m nuts for using YG instead of WG, you should tell me that too. And here''s my pink tourmaline

Thanks, TL.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 11:38:38 AM

Date: 7/18/2009 11:08:26 AM

LD,
6.gif

Don''t be silly TL of course I have one!!!! I just don''t have a gorgous one I can set!!!!! Where would you recommend for a great Spess (not expensive) with more orange/yellow than brown?
Well, great spess are very very hard to come by these days, but if you want a fine Fanta orange color, with a lower cost, go for a stone under 2 carats. They start to get exponentially higher as the carat weight increases. I am at a loss to where you could get a true neon fanta orange one for a low cost. My 4 carat pear shape is a very neon orange with no yellow or brown, and I bought that 6 or 7 years ago or so, and it was $500 back then!!

If anyone knows, I would love to find out. The new Loliondo stones are lovely and neon, but many of them tend to be on the yellow side, and very included. The Nigerian stones tend to be cleaner, but more on the brown side, and the Nambian ones, which were supposed to be a pure orange, are supposedly mined out.
8.gif
I suspect my pear is Namibian because it has wispy veils that Richard Wise indicates is native to the Namibian material, and it was part of a parcel of very included stones. The pear was the only clean stone. It has some inclusions, but they are not visible unless you look very closely.

This new stone is supposedly Namibian, but I have my doubts. I think it''s Nigerian because it''s very clean and it has a slight brown modifier, but I love it regardless. However, I think you want a true Fanta stone, and they''re just not around anymore, at least not for inexpensive pricing. Good luck on your search!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 11:52:20 AM
Author: cellentani
Hey TL, can I threadjack? I think I want to put my pink tourm in YG, and since you have both 14K and 18K, which would you recommend? I''m thinking that 18K might be a little too warm.... And of course, if you think I''m nuts for using YG instead of WG, you should tell me that too. And here''s my pink tourmaline

Thanks, TL.
The yellow gold tends to bring out more of the orange in the stone and the white brings out more of the pink in your pictures. Therefore, it depends on what you like better. Hope that helps. The LOGR 18K is warm, but not super yellow.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not easy to spot the airline unless a person stares pretty hard. Your jeweller did a good job on it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 10:17:28 PM
Author: Chrono
It''s not easy to spot the airline unless a person stares pretty hard. Your jeweller did a good job on it.
Thanks Chrono,
I was wearing it all day today, and it gave me quite a bit of enjoyment and I forgot all about the fact that there''s a cushion bezel under that stone. It''s not very noticable.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So your usual jeweller set this one? He''s back from vacation or wherever he went?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 10:20:53 PM
So your usual jeweller set this one? He''s back from vacation or wherever he went?
Yes, my usual jeweler, "Merry Richards" in Glenview and Oakbrook, IL. I highly recommend them for setting work. The benchperson that sets my stones, "Moe," is very good, and has dealt with all my exotic and sometimes softer gems. The other benchperson (I forget his name), is good as well. They go between both stores all the time. They''re not on vacation, but they have new summer hours, and the benchperson isn''t as available during the week as a result.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring!!!!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks PrincessPlease!

More pictures taken outside on an overcast day.

Here's one showing more red in the stone as it's tilted. Slightly out of focus, but I like the red in this shot.

TLspessred.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Profile shot for people that wanted to see how high the stone sits up there.

TLspessprofile.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a faraway shot for people wanting to see how it looks at arm's length. The top appears to be showing an airline, but it's not. It's the shadow of the stone on the metal.

TLfarawayspessshot3.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, you finally filled that setting!!!!!!!!
36.gif

Looks pretty in there - Now my mind is spinning for settings for my step cut spess.
11.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 2:03:46 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
36.gif

Looks pretty in there - Now my mind is spinning for settings for my step cut spess.
11.gif
Did you get it yet? I'm dying to see pics.

I really recommend step cut spessartites. I wish I could show a video of the giant flashes of color. You can't really capture it with a picture.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 2:04:48 PM

36.gif

11.gif
Did you get it yet? I''m dying to see pics.

Nope, still a ways off. Probably not until late August at this point. I promise I will post pics. I hope there''s no yellow or brown in it, and I have been assured that it doesn''t, but we shall see.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 2:06:59 PM

Date: 7/19/2009 2:04:48 PM

36.gif

11.gif
Did you get it yet? I''m dying to see pics.

Nope, still a ways off. Probably not until late August at this point. I promise I will post pics. I hope there''s no yellow or brown in it, and I have been assured that it doesn''t, but we shall see.
emcry.gif
I can''t wait that long!!!
emcry.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 1:46:44 PM
This is a faraway shot for people wanting to see how it looks at arm''s length. The top appears to be showing an airline, but it''s not. It''s the shadow of the stone on the metal.
ahh Love them both. They look fantastic!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You bought a step cut spessartite? Did you start a thread on it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 3:48:43 PM

Nope, still a ways off. Probably not until late August at this point. I promise I will post pics. I hope there's no yellow or brown in it, and I have been assured that it doesn't, but we shall see.
Chrono,
She purchased the AJSgems one that you had recommended to her at one time!
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 4:25:56 PM

Chrono,
9.gif

Oohhh.....

Lauren,
Did you request additional pictures?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 4:28:55 PM

Chrono,
9.gif

Oohhh.....

Lauren,
And thank you for posting that spess originally, Chrono!

I did, and he sent them to me, but looking through my email, I can''t find where I put that email for the life of me. He sent me 2 additional photos, and neither of them looked like it had any brown secondary, looked like slight yellow secondary, but I''ll have to wait to see it in person. I also didn''t see a window, because the original pic led me to believe there may have been one.

I''m nervous about it, mostly because I''ve had many spess purchases go wrong in the past, so I''m hoping my luck improves with this one.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
W
30.gif
W TL the handshot above is phenomenal. It just looks like molton lava. Seriously lush.

Your pear is the colour of what I really want but I can''t find any on the market with a brown secondary
38.gif
You did really well with that stone didn''t you?

I''ve found one that Dan has just cut but (a) it''s an octagon cut and I''m struggling to think how to set it and (b) it''s maybe too red. Interestingly, Dan says he very rarely sees brown in the Nigerian material - so maybe yours is Nigerian?????

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I think it came out great.....really looks beautiful!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 6:02:20 PM
W
30.gif
W TL the handshot above is phenomenal. It just looks like molton lava. Seriously lush.

Your pear is the colour of what I really want but I can't find any on the market with a brown secondary
38.gif
You did really well with that stone didn't you?

I've found one that Dan has just cut but (a) it's an octagon cut and I'm struggling to think how to set it and (b) it's maybe too red. Interestingly, Dan says he very rarely sees brown in the Nigerian material - so maybe yours is Nigerian?????
LD,

Thank you again!! You are so kind.
Actually, I have to disagree with Dan
emembarrassed.gif
. The Nigerian material tends to be more on the brown and red side, and I've heard that from gem experts as well. I actually think this asscher spess is Nigerian. It's also very very clean, which is indicative of spessartites from Nigeria as well.

I hope you can find the spessartite of your dreams!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 5:27:23 PM

Date: 7/19/2009 4:28:55 PM

Chrono,
9.gif

Oohhh.....

Lauren,
And thank you for posting that spess originally, Chrono!

I did, and he sent them to me, but looking through my email, I can''t find where I put that email for the life of me. He sent me 2 additional photos, and neither of them looked like it had any brown secondary, looked like slight yellow secondary, but I''ll have to wait to see it in person. I also didn''t see a window, because the original pic led me to believe there may have been one.

I''m nervous about it, mostly because I''ve had many spess purchases go wrong in the past, so I''m hoping my luck improves with this one.
We NEEEEEED to see those photos Lauren!! Please!??? Maybe they can resend them to you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results