shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone like amber?

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
i love amber, and have lots of amber + silver jewellery. I can't say I like the ones with bugs though...guess I just don't like bugs. But, I know it's cool, and worth a lot too. But, I've never heard of blue amber. I do have some green amber, it's really nice. Got any pictures of blue amber? that sounds cool. I guess because I have Polish/Ukrainian background, I love amber, it's in the blood... :wavey:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
whoops. Posting issues.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a yellow amber pendant and a "cherry amber" pendant - no idea if it's real or not, it's pretty dark but cool in that it gives off red flashes.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I am generally non squeamish, but that page of amber bugs is just so wrong.

URGH.

Ok, I have decided that while amber is cool, I prefer the ones with plants in them.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately the "bug filled" amber market is a bit dubious. Lots of insects are put in amber (some man made amber that you wouldn't know the difference) and sold as the real deal. You can buy bug filled amber and although they're not plentiful, you can get some that have been authenticated. I bought a piece for a very dear friend of mine several years ago and a piece for myself also. I bought from these people (after checking them out). Their prices give you an indication of general pricing - which by the way depends on what type of bugs are in the amber and how complete they are/not. Normal flys, ants etc are not as valuable as rarer bugs.

http://www.ukge.co.uk/UK/fossils-amber.asp?gclid=CJ-3zOKm9akCFcRO4QodwFVaWA

Irrespective of value, I have to tell you that I find them fascinating!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results