shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have a square diamond (especially an asscher) which is kite set?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I finally found a lovely asscher and can't decide how to set it.

20210219_115503 (2).jpg

I've had all kinds of ideas, and was originally thinking about setting it with my trapezoid side diamonds from an old setting. I was balancing the stone in the setting (which was designed for a rectangular centre diamond) and couldnt help being drawn to the look of it when it was rotated in the setting:

20210219_120916.jpg

I had always imagined setting it in the most traditional way, square on. I dont think that the trapezoids would work with the diamond in this orientation. They are mostly covered up by the centre diamond in this photo so it kind of works but once they were fully visible I think it would look strange.

I had a look to see if I could find many examples of kite-set asschers but there were very few.

Here's one I found:

1613947972238.jpeg

I would like to maximise finger coverage and l do like the idea of some kind of 3 stone arrangement, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

If anyone has any photos to share, including finger shots, of kite set asschers or other square diamonds I would love to see them.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Ibrakeforpossums I seem to think that you may have a lovely kite-set asscher but I couldnt find the photos. If I have this right, I would love to see some photos of your creation. :D

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I pre
I finally found a lovely asscher and can't decide how to set it.

20210219_115503 (2).jpg

I've had all kinds of ideas, and was originally thinking about setting it with my trapezoid side diamonds from an old setting. I was balancing the stone in the setting (which was designed for a rectangular centre diamond) and couldnt help being drawn to the look of it when it was rotated in the setting:

20210219_120916.jpg

I had always imagined setting it in the most traditional way, square on. I dont think that the trapezoids would work with the diamond in this orientation. They are mostly covered up by the centre diamond in this photo so it kind of works but once they were fully visible I think it would look strange.

I had a look to see if I could find many examples of kite-set asschers but there were very few.

Here's one I found:

1613947972238.jpeg

I would like to maximise finger coverage and l do like the idea of some kind of 3 stone arrangement, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

If anyone has any photos to share, including finger shots, of kite set asschers or other square diamonds I would love to see them.

I prefer this look than the traditional setting.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20201114_092045.jpg Diamondhoarder, I'm so excited to learn you found an Asscher and what a luminous diamond it is! Please tell us about it and where it came from when you're ready. I didn't look at who sent it, I just went, OMG, that's amazing.
Photo here of my accidently kite-set 1.77 Asscher with side baguettes and two small RBs tucked into the prongs, which you would have to be psychic to actually see. I chose side baguettes because I've never had such a thing and didn't realize what a cliché it is, but I 'm so happy with it. Don't care. My finger is a 6.25 US size and this gives very nice coverage. I think your idea of using the traps is wonderful, an unusual proportion and a bit edgy. I love it. If you like the kite-set appearance, go for it. I didn't expect it and fell in love in 15 minutes.

Do you realize how influential you are lately? La2020 just posted a beautiful criss-cut ring which was at least inspired by one of yours and the other young woman posted a ring - H & A from GOG - in a winter landscape that I think was also guided or encouraged by something you have. I have a .73 square CC radiant from JA for which that I'm trying to find a bracelet. My motivation was lifted shamelessly from your CC square radiant from B2C. It's a J but clean and incredibly fiery. I would never have bothered to look but for your photos and guidance. I have to thank you.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_20201114_092045.jpg Diamondhoarder, I'm so excited to learn you found an Asscher and what a luminous diamond it is! Please tell us about it and where it came from when you're ready. I didn't look at who sent it, I just went, OMG, that's amazing.
Photo here of my accidently kite-set 1.77 Asscher with side baguettes and two small RBs tucked into the prongs, which you would have to be psychic to actually see. I chose side baguettes because I've never had such a thing and didn't realize what a cliché it is, but I 'm so happy with it. Don't care. My finger is a 6.25 US size and this gives very nice coverage. I think your idea of using the traps is wonderful, an unusual proportion and a bit edgy. I love it. If you like the kite-set appearance, go for it. I didn't expect it and fell in love in 15 minutes.

Do you realize how influential you are lately? La2020 just posted a beautiful criss-cut ring which was at least inspired by one of yours and the other young woman posted a ring - H & A from GOG - in a winter landscape that I think was also guided or encouraged by something you have. I have a .73 square CC radiant from JA for which that I'm trying to find a bracelet. My motivation was lifted shamelessly from your CC square radiant from B2C. It's a J but clean and incredibly fiery. I would never have bothered to look but for your photos and guidance. I have to thank you.

Yes! I fell in love with @diamondhoarder's criss-cut and then subsequently her square H&A too! I have actually bookmarked most of her posts... :lol:

@Ibrakeforpossums , what an amazing Asscher you have there! :kiss2: the kite setting is lovely! [Edit] Did you post any more photos of this lovely Asscher in PS? I would love to see them!

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
How kind of you to say! I bought that Asscher because the photo was so butt-ugly. My goldsmith told me I got very lucky.
I follow diamondhoarder as well, she has the most discerning eye. I saw your ring yesterday morning and it just gave me joy. I felt good all day when I thought about it. I stepped out a bit expressing it would be very nice but it knocked me out. That's the beauty of this board, joy from something someone else has.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I just saw another one on insta that's a belcher style..

Wow what a funky and amazing combo! I never would have put 2 + 2 together....that's why sometimes it is good to leave it to the designers to come up with something cool!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Wow what a funky and amazing combo! I never would have put 2 + 2 together....that's why sometimes it is good to leave it to the designers to come up with something cool!

Lol that's why we come here to bring all the design and inspiration together. But yes I agree, leave it to the designers lol we can use elements of their design that already works :)

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How do you feel about a bypass setting?

kite-set-swirl-diamond-asscher-cut-engagement-ring-in-white-gold-FDENRAS9009ANGLE3-NL-WG.jpg

Its pretty but I want to achieve a more symetrical look and keep some sort of deco vibe with the design.

Why yes. Yes I do! Here you go!

Nala that is a beautiful asscher and in a very unsual setting. Your asscher looks a great size, do you mind me asking the dimensions?

How do you get on with the cleaning regime for your lovely ring? I have a powerful ultrasonic which I intend to use to keep my asscher really clean, but I suspect I may be limited in what kind of setting I have for it if I want it to be ultrasonic-safe and not risk losing any diamonds.

I think I saw a really nice setting by Ashley Zhang.

asscherhalo.PNG

Wow - spectacular!

Thats simple and elegant and a little bit different. I like it.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondhoarder my asscher is a .91–I forgot dimensions tbh. I don’t really wear it—it sits in bank vault, lol so no issues with cleaning! I have way too many right hand rings!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you :) Its a H VVS1 1.59cts from Blue Nile. I had actually already ordered a different one from JA which was larger but I colour and VS1 with plenty of red in the ASET but the windmills weren't perfect. There was quite a wait to get the diamond shipped and in the meantime caught sight of this one on BN and thought OMG I have to have that one! So I cancelled the other order and then had another long wait for the BN diamond. But it was worth it. I was really nervous buying it without an ASET image, but based on what I had seen from the listing I decided it was worth while.

Here's the ASET image I took at home using my ASET scope:

20210221_204625.jpg

It seems to perform amazingly well in all lighting conditions and I am in love with the step pattern and the large clipped corners. The windmills on this one really draw the eye deep into the stone which is what the JA one I was considering was missing. I have loads of photos and video (havent got much else done since it was delivered last week :lol:) and will do a thread on it at some point soon.

Ah yes, I remember this ring from another thread, its stunning! I don't think the baguettes are a cliche at all, they compliment your stone really nicely. Do you get lots of comments on it when you wear it? I think that the orientation is really eye-catching because its unexpected but works really well on square stones, and it gives great finger coverage. That looks quite the rock! :kiss2: Do you have any hand shots?

Little old me???...... encouraging people to spend out on hard-to-find fancy cut sparklies???? :naughty: :D I swear the search for the unusual cuts which also perform well and pack a visual punch is quite the addiction :lol: And since there are limits to what I can add to my collection its so good to be able to come onto PS and share in other people's lovely sparklies and swap tips and observations on how to hunt them down.

PS has turned me into a diamond nerd :lol:, especially where fancy cuts are concerned. I love learning all about what makes each type special and seeing how they look in photos and videos (and if I'm really lucy, in person).

I'm glad you love your JA ideal square radiant and that you persevered through the off-putting order process. The fire from those cuts is really amazing and makes them really special. I'm looking forward to seeing how you decide to set it

I know you mentioned a 3-stone setting, but I really like the halo one posted above! Very art deco and great finger coverage!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just saw another one on insta that's a belcher style..

Lovely asscher in this ring. And a very unusual setting idea.

Lol that's why we come here to bring all the design and inspiration together. But yes I agree, leave it to the designers lol we can use elements of their design that already works :)

Agreed. PS is an amzing resource for honing down design ideas.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondhoarder my asscher is a .91–I forgot dimensions tbh. I don’t really wear it—it sits in bank vault, lol so no issues with cleaning! I have way too many right hand rings!

Wow, it looks bigger than 0.91cts somehow. Maybe in part due to the orientation and the lovely setting. Sad to think of it languishing in a bank vault though!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it looks bigger than 0.91cts somehow. Maybe in part due to the orientation and the lovely setting. Sad to think of it languishing in a bank vault though!

Ty! And I know! I am not proud of my hoarding but I love the idea that I have an asscher in my collection! At some point, I just envision helping my 9 nieces with their engagement rings—should they come to me for help—I will sacrifice my stones at that point!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Ty! And I know! I am not proud of my hoarding but I love the idea that I have an asscher in my collection! At some point, I just envision helping my 9 nieces with their engagement rings—should they come to me for help—I will sacrifice my stones at that point!

Nala, that is SO beautiful! At least wear it while on PriceScope.
Would one of your nieces' families adopt me?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Thank you :) Its a H VVS1 1.59cts from Blue Nile. I had actually already ordered a different one from JA which was larger but I colour and VS1 with plenty of red in the ASET but the windmills weren't perfect. There was quite a wait to get the diamond shipped and in the meantime caught sight of this one on BN and thought OMG I have to have that one! So I cancelled the other order and then had another long wait for the BN diamond. But it was worth it. I was really nervous buying it without an ASET image, but based on what I had seen from the listing I decided it was worth while.

Here's the ASET image I took at home using my ASET scope:

20210221_204625.jpg

It seems to perform amazingly well in all lighting conditions and I am in love with the step pattern and the large clipped corners. The windmills on this one really draw the eye deep into the stone which is what the JA one I was considering was missing. I have loads of photos and video (havent got much else done since it was delivered last week :lol:) and will do a thread on it at some point soon.
The center is what appeals to me, too. I want to think I might fall in as the diamond twirls in the video. Looking forward to the thread, that diamond is killer.
Ah yes, I remember this ring from another thread, its stunning! I don't think the baguettes are a cliche at all, they compliment your stone really nicely. Do you get lots of comments on it when you wear it? I think that the orientation is really eye-catching because its unexpected but works really well on square stones, and it gives great finger coverage. That looks quite the rock! :kiss2: Do you have any hand shots?

I posted one of my meathook reaching for the cat a few months ago. Today Google is folding her many arms like a Hindu goddess and keeping me from my photographs. Sigh.

Little old me???...... encouraging people to spend out on hard-to-find fancy cut sparklies???? :naughty: :D I swear the search for the unusual cuts which also perform well and pack a visual punch is quite the addiction :lol: And since there are limits to what I can add to my collection its so good to be able to come onto PS and share in other people's lovely sparklies and swap tips and observations on how to hunt them down.

PS has turned me into a diamond nerd :lol:, especially where fancy cuts are concerned. I love learning all about what makes each type special and seeing how they look in photos and videos (and if I'm really lucy, in person).

I'm glad you love your JA ideal square radiant and that you persevered through the off-putting order process. The fire from those cuts is really amazing and makes them really special. I'm looking forward to seeing how you decide to set it

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, that is SO beautiful! At least wear it while on PriceScope.
Would one of your nieces' families adopt me?

Hahaha! Ty! Tbh, none has asked for help yet! I really hope they do bc I’ve put it out there! We will see.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20201114_091444.jpg Found it, Google was looking the other way. 6.25 finger. Carrying water will coarsen your fingers. People notice when SO says, "Look at her ring."
I'm all over Nala's ring right now, and the one with the halo. And the traps!!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the prism shifter setting from Erstwhile! I think the asscher set "kite-wise" is my favorite: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4DO5WyBjYy/

Thanks for linking that - its beautiful!

IMG_20201114_091444.jpg Found it, Google was looking the other way. 6.25 finger. Carrying water will coarsen your fingers. People notice when SO says, "Look at her ring."
I'm all over Nala's ring right now, and the one with the halo. And the traps!!

That looks so lovely on your hand, its definitely eye-catching to have it set this way. Hmmm, lots for me to think about.......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results