shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Anyone Else Feel Close To Panic?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I haven't been to the shore but in the parks around here people are masked up outside. People walk on the roads here and they're masked up. Unfortunately the park just across the way has been closed since March; my daughter and I can't figure out why.

Durring lockdown our national and regional parks, kids playgrounds even were all out of bounds because if you get hurt out hiking someone has to come out to rescue you and not on my does that put them at risk of catvhing covid but its directing prevouse health resources away from where it is most needed
fishing and boating was also banned
a few weeks of harsh lockdown was very much worth it for us and its paid off

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are theories that JFK was assassinated because he had planned to do away from the Federal Reserve system. Similar thing with Andrew Jackson and Lincoln.
I don't want to hijack AGBF's thread with an extensive discussion of the Federal Reserve system, but I want to express my concern for the shakiness of your sources. E.g., Andrew Jackson wasn't assassinated; he died of natural causes at his home, The Hermitage, 7+ years after his tenure as President. Richard Lawrence, who had not succeeded in killing Jackson in 1835, reportedly thought a new National Bank (which Jackson opposed) would pay him money -- but Lawrence also believed himself to be King Richard III & that he (somehow) was accordingly due monies from the US.
Abraham Lincoln could not have possibly been targeted for assassination because he wanted to "do away" with the Federal Reserve system; there was nothing even remotely like that in place in the mid-1860's. The National Banking Act of 1863 simply established a uniform national currency to be issued by nationally chartered banks -- to address the problems arising out of the hodgepodge of currency issued by roughly 8,000 state-chartered banks. But the country's decentralized banking system remained intact (in a manner of speaking, if you disregard all the calamitous bank "runs") until 1913. That particular, putative reason for President Kennedy's assassination rests on a seriously flawed -- or purposefully misleading -- rendition of his Executive Order 11110 concerning the issuance of silver certificates & its import. For an explanation of why that conspiracy theory -- ardently propounded by (no surprise) by Jim Marrs -- is divorced from reality, see, e.g.,

voce

Ideal_Rock
@MollyMalone I thank you for the fact check. I am well aware that the assassination attempt against Andrew Jackson did not succeed. What Jackson, Lincoln, and JFK had in common was that they all had intended for the US government to print its own money, and Lincoln's assassin claimed he had friends in high places in Europe. The conspiracy theorists say this refers to the Rothschilds and the other bankers in Europe. Of course, there is no real substantive proof for these theories. I do not purport to know what is the truth, but if the Federal Reserve has private investors who receive 6% of the profit as statutory dividends, I do not view the Federal Reserve as acting only for the public good.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want to hijack AGBF's thread with an extensive discussion of the Federal Reserve system, but I want to express my concern for the shakiness of your sources.

Correcting historical facts, or even debating what those facts are, is not a hijack, Molly; it is a necessity for civilized discussion. Thank you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MollyMalone I thank you for the fact check. I am well aware that the assassination attempt against Andrew Jackson did not succeed. What Jackson, Lincoln, and JFK had in common was that they all had intended for the US government to print its own money, and Lincoln's assassin claimed he had friends in high places in Europe. The conspiracy theorists say this refers to the Rothschilds and the other bankers in Europe. Of course, there is no real substantive proof for these theories. I do not purport to know what is the truth, but if the Federal Reserve has private investors who receive 6% of the profit as statutory dividends, I do not view the Federal Reserve as acting only for the public good.

It is not a charitable institution, but it was created by Congress for the public good and it has its counterpart in every other civilized country. Each one has a central bank. I see it as neither angel nor devil.

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF , these are indeed tumultuous times with much bleak uncertainty and sadness. I'm not yet panic-stricken myself, but that is, I imagine, subject to change. And it's not as if I'm Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm bubbling over with lighthearted optimism throughout my waking hours.. I am grieving for what has been lost -- but perhaps less so than if I had not been here in NYC for 9/11. That marked a loss of "innocence" for me in that it brought home, literally and figuratively, that givens cannot be taken for granted.

How I wish you, Deb -- and so many others here on PS and around the globe -- could be the recipient of an extended respite of idyllic pampering instead of being the one to provide endless devoted care, energy, and attention to others in their lives. Since I don't have that magic wand, I'll share this link to a recording of Arthur Rubinstein playing Beethoven's Emperor Concerto. Its rollicking beauty always puts a smile on my face & I hope it's an antidote for other people too!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Durring lockdown our national and regional parks, kids playgrounds even were all out of bounds because if you get hurt out hiking someone has to come out to rescue you and not on my does that put them at risk of catvhing covid but its directing prevouse health resources away from where it is most needed
fishing and boating was also banned
a few weeks of harsh lockdown was very much worth it for us and its paid off

Well ours were all closed too, but then they opened up.....except for the one right near me. It's just very odd.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In stores, yes. Outside when one cannot social distance however, no. I’m in Monmouth county but we’ve been in Ocean county as well. Plus more urban NJ areas. My experience is nobody outside that we see is wearing masks.

Good luck on your antibody test today.

We’re cycling in Sandy Hook now and wow there’s so many deer here today. They’re not wearing masks either :lol:

895A0B91-3865-4BEE-9111-52267CD9E635.jpeg

0A1AD76C-F5D7-4DC5-BB92-90FC66503505.jpeg

84D1574D-0337-4E3B-B200-C29EE4E4C309.jpeg In 1980’s I lived in Sea Bright and then Aberdeen. We went to the Beach at Sandy Hook all the time. It must have changed a lot! I never saw deer there or trees! sea Bright had no beaches, just sea wall. I hear that changed. Does a sandy Hook still have a nude beach?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF , these are indeed tumultuous times with much bleak uncertainty and sadness. I'm not yet panic-stricken myself, but that is, I imagine, subject to change. And it's not as if I'm Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm bubbling over with lighthearted optimism throughout my waking hours.. I am grieving for what has been lost -- but perhaps less so than if I had not been here in NYC for 9/11. That marked a loss of "innocence" for me in that it brought home, literally and figuratively, that givens cannot be taken for granted.

How I wish you, Deb -- and so many others here on PS and around the globe -- could be the recipient of an extended respite of idyllic pampering instead of being the one to provide endless devoted care, energy, and attention to others in their lives. Since I don't have that magic wand, I'll share this link to a recording of Arthur Rubinstein playing Beethoven's Emperor Concerto. Its rollicking beauty always puts a smile on my face & I hope it's an antidote for other people too!

Thank you so much for this glorious picture and music. I adore classical music. I have never heard this piece. I sat in my chair, stared at the picture and listened. Totally relaxing......

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for this glorious picture and music. I adore classical music. I have never heard this piece. I sat in my chair, stared at the picture and listened. Totally relaxing......
Oh I'm so glad you like it!!

(That particular recording dates back to the mid-60's, so the sound quality-balance isn't the best. But it's the same as the record my parents had in their stereo library back when, so there's a soft spot in my heart for it :)))

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I'm panicking. But, I have an anxiety and panic disorder. My coping mechanism is panic attacks unfortunately. I've been having them weekly for the past 15 years. Thankfully this whole covid thing isn't making it worse (or perhaps it's so bad now that it makes no noticeable difference). This year has been really difficult so far - family deaths, family lingering sickness, friends diagnosed with cancer, etc.. My mom is still coughing up blood and her covid diagnosis was in April!

I don't watch any news but sometimes read various news sources. I'm trying to ignore all the negative, selfish, hateful, stupid people and focus instead on those who are kind and considerate.

@missy is that 7th ave? If so, I walk to that ghost almost everyday! My husband likes their coffee and I go along to sanitize him since he's not as careful as I am. =)2

Many prayers and positive thoughts to all who are suffering. I think it's okay/ normal to be stressed in this environment. I just hope that you find peace every now and then and that being here looking at jewelry brings you some joy. And that interacting on here also bring some measure of joy. I certainly enjoy reading the well thought out posts here =)2.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In 1980’s I lived in Sea Bright and then Aberdeen. We went to the Beach at Sandy Hook all the time. It must have changed a lot! I never saw deer there or trees! sea Bright had no beaches, just sea wall. I hear that changed. Does a sandy Hook still have a nude beach?

They do LOL. As for trees and deer they are all around. One of the things I just love about living here are the trees in combination with the sea. It is gorgeous. All the green grass and trees and colorful flowers and the blue the sea. I didn't know there was a time without trees here. They are mature big beautiful trees everywhere you look.

Do you miss the area at all @AprilBaby? Do you live near the sea now?
No matter where we move (if we move) I hope to always be by the sea. I find it calming and restorative and healing and rejuvenating. All that and more. The sound of the waves, the gentle roar of the ocean, the salty sea air, the nature all around. I love it.

beachsunrise.jpg

@missy is that 7th ave? If so, I walk to that ghost almost everyday! My husband likes their coffee and I go along to sanitize him since he's not as careful as I am. =)2

Yes it is! We went back on Sunday to pick up our mail and other miscellaneous items. Some bling too because of course I missed my bling. I love both our homes and miss Brooklyn when we are at the beach and miss the beach when we are in Brooklyn though I fully enjoy each when we are there. We are fortunate they aren't that far apart yet when we are there it feels a world apart if you kwim. One day, when this is all over we should meet at the Hungry Ghost (or if my favorite chocolate and tea place is still open we should meet there) @dizzyakira.

Yes, I'm panicking. But, I have an anxiety and panic disorder. My coping mechanism is panic attacks unfortunately. I've been having them weekly for the past 15 years. Thankfully this whole covid thing isn't making it worse (or perhaps it's so bad now that it makes no noticeable difference). This year has been really difficult so far - family deaths, family lingering sickness, friends diagnosed with cancer, etc.. My mom is still coughing up blood and her covid diagnosis was in April!

Sending your mom bucketloads of healing dust @dizzyakira and gentle hugs to you. I am so sorry for all the loss and heartache you and your family went through this year. Hoping things get better soon and life calms down.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Of course @missy! "When this is all over" is a cause for celebration. Tea and chocolates? Two of my favorite things! =)2

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I'm so glad you like it!!

(That particular recording dates back to the mid-60's, so the sound quality-balance isn't the best. But it's the same as the record my parents had in their stereo library back when, so there's a soft spot in my heart for it :)))

Thank you for posting the link, Molly. I didn't post feedback about the music yesterday because I didn't have time to listen to the entire concerto until bedtime.. (I skipped to the ending earlier since you had raved about it.)

I could't have idenntified the piece, but as soon as I heard a recurring theme I realized I had heard it before. It is obviously very famous and must have been played on the radio in various incarnations many times during my lifetime.When my father was younger he liked many types of classical music, even opera. As he aged, he became more and more particular. For the last forty years of his lfe he was listening only to chamber music, string quartets or quintets if I happened to stumble on some.

When he was very ill I made sure he had a CD player and headphones with some good string quartets. I even read some reviews and bought some CDs that were new ad written up as great for people who loved string quartetes of the type he did. I remember his face lighting up when he first heard one of those new CDs. It must have been very good music. He was a connoisseur!

At any rate, thank you very much for posting.

Deb :wavey:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They do LOL. As for trees and deer they are all around. One of the things I just love about living here are the trees in combination with the sea. It is gorgeous. All the green grass and trees and colorful flowers and the blue the sea. I didn't know there was a time without trees here. They are mature big beautiful trees everywhere you look.

Do you miss the area at all @AprilBaby? Do you live near the sea now?
No matter where we move (if we move) I hope to always be by the sea. I find it calming and restorative and healing and rejuvenating. All that and more. The sound of the waves, the gentle roar of the ocean, the salty sea air, the nature all around. I love it.

beachsunrise.jpg

Yes it is! We went back on Sunday to pick up our mail and other miscellaneous items. Some bling too because of course I missed my bling. I love both our homes and miss Brooklyn when we are at the beach and miss the beach when we are in Brooklyn though I fully enjoy each when we are there. We are fortunate they aren't that far apart yet when we are there it feels a world apart if you kwim. One day, when this is all over we should meet at the Hungry Ghost (or if my favorite chocolate and tea place is still open we should meet there) @dizzyakira.

Sending your mom bucketloads of healing dust @dizzyakira and gentle hugs to you. I am so sorry for all the loss and heartache you and your family went through this year. Hoping things get better soon and life calms down.

My dream was a house in Ocean City but instead I ended up in Chicago. I miss the shore like crazy! I’m from Philly originally. When I need my ocean fix we take a cruise or go to Holland, Michigan. You can almost pretend you are at the shore on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan. I can’t say I miss Aberdeen. Hubby worked for Bell Labs in Holmdel.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, (mostly for Voce)

I don't know if this point has been covered but the stockholders of the Federal Reserve are not secret. They are banks. All federally chartered banks are shareholders, and some state chartered banks as well. They return all money, except 6%, to the US Treasury. The system is really set up for the banking system. At present, with interest rates so low the Gov't can borrow at a low cost. When the economy improves revenue in the form of taxes pays the debt off. During Bill Clintons tenure as Pres. he had a surplus in the Treasury. We have run surpluses before. Printing of money, which is the money supply is usually to keep credit markets open, which is crucial to the economy.

I used keep my money in Treasury bills at the Fed. Its the safest place to put your money. China deposits a lot of their money at the Fed. Now if the dismantled the Fed, I would panic.

Annette

voce

Ideal_Rock
@smitcompton where can I see a list of shareholders/banks? If there is no such information listed publicly, I consider the shareholders to be private, whether individuals or institutions like banks. Even federally chartered banks could have undisclosed private shareholders. Just because there's a layer of a banking institution in between doesn't mean there are no individual investors involved. The modern financial system is very complicated. I doubt even 1% of the US population understands how complicated financial instruments could be.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I was doing fine till my cousin, sister and their friend group got Covid. It’s way to close to home. But I take precautions and I don’t really go anywhere, where they don’t wear mask and party together. Makes me paranoid thou

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I am afraid.
I will probably have to step away from the internet to get my bearings, because I’ve become addicted to the constant barrage of bad news and general dystopia. Scrolling through YouTube after dinner tonight landed me on Dan Bell’s channel, which specializes in dead mall documentaries. For some reason seeing the ruins of 80’s exceptionalism made me cry. I had just chatted with my dear friend on the phone who was once my supervisor at a mall shop, and while everything is still fine for her, I hung up feeling like it was an actual goodbye. This must surely be irrational and a result of over-emotion.

It seems like the fear has permeated everything around me and unplugging from news might be the best solution for a while. Of course, sticking my head in the sand won’t create positive change. But maybe it will help me relax a bit. Tension is a bad thing now.

Wishing everyone peace and comfort. And some of that for me too.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce , there are no private investors -- and never have been. At the time the Federal Reserve Act was enacted (1913), Congress authorized the Organization Committee to offer shares in one or more Reserve Banks to individuals, partnerships, and corporations that were not banks within the Reserve Bank District.for which the shares were being offered -- but only if the Organization Committee concluded that member bank "subscriptions" were not sufficient to raise the initial capital of $4 million/each prescribed by Congress. The Act further provided that no individual or eligible business entity could purchase or hold more than $25,000 aggregate of such public stock; moreover, those investors had no voting rights (member banks get 1 vote each, no matter what their size-their holdings).
See the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th full paragraphs on numbered page 253 of this PDF of Public Law 63-43.

But because each Federal Reserve Bank was able to raise the $4 million capital through member stock sales, no public stock was offered. The legislative authority to offer public stock is no longer "on the books."

Here's information re the identity of the shareholders in the NY Reserve (the usual subject of this line of conspiracy theories) that Institutional Investor reported in February they received via a Freedom of Information Act request:

Not au courant, but a solid, readable explanation of the Federal Reserve's history, functions-operations from the Congressional Research division of what is, in essence,our national Library:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * When my father was younger he liked many types of classical music, even opera. As he aged, he became more and more particular. For the last forty years of his lfe he was listening only to chamber music, string quartets or quintets if I happened to stumble on some.

When he was very ill I made sure he had a CD player and headphones with some good string quartets. I even read some reviews and bought some CDs that were new ad written up as great for people who loved string quartetes of the type he did. I remember his face lighting up when he first heard one of those new CDs. It must have been very good music. He was a connoisseur!
What a splendid gift, Deb -- but that's not the only reason I think you were a wonderful daughter!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce , there are no private investors -- and never have been. At the time the Federal Reserve Act was enacted (1913), Congress authorized the Organization Committee to offer shares in one or more Reserve Banks to individuals, partnerships, and corporations that were not banks within the Reserve Bank District.for which the shares were being offered -- but only if the Organization Committee concluded that member bank "subscriptions" were not sufficient to raise the initial capital of $4 million/each prescribed by Congress. The Act further provided that no individual or eligible business entity could purchase or hold more than $25,000 aggregate of such public stock; moreover, those investors had no voting rights (member banks get 1 vote each, no matter what their size-their holdings).
See the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th full paragraphs on numbered page 253 of this PDF of Public Law 63-43.

But because each Federal Reserve Bank was able to raise the $4 million capital through member stock sales, no public stock was offered. The legislative authority to offer public stock is no longer "on the books."

Here's information re the identity of the shareholders in the NY Reserve (the usual subject of this line of conspiracy theories) that Institutional Investor reported in February they received via a Freedom of Information Act request:

Not au courant, but a solid, readable explanation of the Federal Reserve's history, functions-operations from the Congressional Research division of what is, in essence,our national Library:

I'm convinced now that because of the egalitarian voting, no private individuals have control over Federal Reserve decisions. However, the information you posted does not address the profit sharing. Yes, the Fed was created with capital from member banks, and the profit is shared among member banks, presumably proportionally to the number of shares each bank owns. However, the member banks may be owned by individuals, so the 6% statutory profits from the Fed can still go into the pockets of the 1% in finance. There is still no publicly available list of all the banks that own shares in the Fed, is there?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
When the virus took off in China I saw it coming this way and I was truly panicked in January and February. I remember lunch with a co-worker about that time and she chatted with me about a trip to Europe in September. I asked her if she really thought it would happen. She had not even contemplated it all could change and her trip could be in jeopardy. I saw it coming for us in slow motion.

At first, I spent too much time on Reddit watching medical staff talking about the terrible and horrible disease. It became a personal Boogeyman. I had more than one anxiety attack. I had an anxiety disorder years ago and apparently only need one good pandemic to bring it back out. Yay.

Anyhow, I am still afraid, but am starting to learn to live with it. I am noticing that the media accounts of the pandemic and the numbers don't add up. I refuse to make it political and I don't care about which "side" is leaning which way.

Saying all of that - if you go to worldometer and look at the logarithmic chart, you'll see that we're not increasing rapidly, but on a constant trajectory we've been on for a while. The projected death rate is forecast downward after this short couple of weeks. A very few people have had this virus and there is no reason to think that anything will change in the short term. We just need to hang on for a little while longer and keep up our guard and have hope. It's so deadly for some people, but it is not inevitable for everyone.

The vaccine will be out by late fall to early winter (I believe) and once that happens everything changes. We just need to make it one day at a time. We're already in August - we can live through this another 4 or 5 months. Goals - goals...then we can see family and friends again.

Wash hands, wear masks.

Last edited:

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
The projected death rate is forecast downward after this short couple of weeks. A very few people have had this virus and there is no reason to think that anything will change in the short term. We just need to hang on for a little while longer and keep up our guard and have hope. It's so deadly for some people, but it is not inevitable for everyone.

Wash hands, wear masks.

I don't want to take away from the main question AGBF posed (or add to anxiety), but I do want to reiterate, based on personal experience, that I think the coverage of this virus is way too black and white. Death isn't the only negative outcome of this infection. I know a surprising number of healthy, fit people who 3, 4, 5 months after infection are still having aftereffects from fairly mild cases. We do not yet fully know or understand all the long-term potential consequences of this.

Amen to wash hands, wear masks

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The closer we get to September with no answers from NYC schools about WTF they're doing and what's going on with medical accommodation the more anxious I get. It's less than a month away. Large districts all around the country are announcing remote only, come on NYC!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@moneymeister I saw this coming from Jan/Feb as well. My fiance's reaction was like that of most Western media at the time. "Isn't it going overboard to lock up millions of people by force? The cure might be worse than the disease." Only time could correct this attitude, and show everyone how serious we need to be to stop it.

I was panicking months before everyone else. The difference from moneymeister is that I could only panic for so long before becoming inured, jaded. I am no longer panicking. Doctors here in the US have experience with the pandemic now, and know how to treat it. That's all I can ask for. Fatality rate isn't as high as I thought. I think I would want to get some immunity to this disease, before I have a baby and start a family.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I think I would want to get some immunity to this disease, before I have a baby and start a family.

I know I am a voice screaming from the void on this, but I was pretty cavalier about it too until I saw it up close. You DO NOT want immunity (inasmuch as it exists, which of course is open to debate) to this gained the hard way. Trust me-- you do not.

My daughter is about to have an MRI for persistent dizziness when she exercises
My H is about to have an endoscopy for upper GI issues that started with the virus and still haven't gone completely
My doctor, who had it in March, still hasn't recovered her sense of taste and smell
A good friend who tested antibody positive in April, May and June has now tested negative in July and August
Another friend, an avid cyclist, runner and rower is struggling after walking up a flight of stairs two months after recovery

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I don't want to take away from the main question AGBF posed (or add to anxiety), but I do want to reiterate, based on personal experience, that I think the coverage of this virus is way too black and white. Death isn't the only negative outcome of this infection. I know a surprising number of healthy, fit people who 3, 4, 5 months after infection are still having aftereffects from fairly mild cases. We do not yet fully know or understand all the long-term potential consequences of this.

Amen to wash hands, wear masks

I am in no way cavalier about this disease. The effects seems to be multi-system and very nasty for some people. I don't want it nor do I think I'll be okay. The crazy things about it - it's such a Russian Roulette effect for some people. I personally know of someone with congestive heart failure, she weights over 400 lbs, is an uncontrolled diabetic. She resides in a nursing home as she is too fragile to live alone. It came through her home and killed people nearby. She just had a cough and no fever four weeks out, and no noticeable lingering effects....why?

Then, we see the young and strong succumb to a terrible disease course. It must have to do with genetics at some level. It's so scattered in response.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Saying all of that - if you go to worldometer and look at the logarithmic chart, you'll see that we're not increasing rapidly, but on a constant trajectory we've been on for a while.

A steady increase on a logarithmic chart represents an exponential increase. Each increase in level on the vertical axis is a power of 10 higher than the one before. The number of world-wide cases increased by about 3 million for May, 4.4 million for June, and 7.2 million for July. That isn't a constant linear rate.

Sorry - not trying to add to the panic! Just clarifying some math.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results