shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Anyone Else Feel Close To Panic?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in no way cavalier about this disease. The effects seems to be multi-system and very nasty for some people. I don't want it nor do I think I'll be okay. The crazy things about it - it's such a Russian Roulette effect for some people. I personally know of someone with congestive heart failure, she weights over 400 lbs, is an uncontrolled diabetic. She resides in a nursing home as she is too fragile to live alone. It came through her home and killed people nearby. She just had a cough and no fever four weeks out, and no noticeable lingering effects....why?

Then, we see the young and strong succumb to a terrible disease course. It must have to do with genetics at some level. It's so scattered in response.

@moneymeister I hear you. I've read multiple articles about populations that seem immune to Covid-19, and research into why some people aren't as affected as others, i.e. cytokine storms vs mild symptoms and little to no lasting effects. There's even a theory about blood types and an increase in acute symptoms and continuing health issues after recovery. We know so little about this virus and can only go by what is predictable so far--that it's highly contagious. I'm shooting for a personal balance of healthy fear and managing my lifestyle in a way that is responsible but also fulfills my emotional and mental needs (and obviously the financial sort).

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes I am in a state of panic...we all just got over a Covid scare with my son (tested negative) now we find out that his boss has it...he wasnt around him so that wasnt an issue, but now another person has tested positive where he works, now son has been around him....arghhhhhhh, they both wore masks and all that but the stress of it all is really starting to get me, I feel like I could crawl out of my skin I am so stressed...plus I have other stress factors in my life going on....I have to remind myself to take a deep breath and take it all one day at a time.....

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
A steady increase on a logarithmic chart represents an exponential increase. Each increase in level on the vertical axis is a power of 10 higher than the one before. The number of world-wide cases increased by about 3 million for May, 4.4 million for June, and 7.2 million for July. That isn't a constant linear rate.

Sorry - not trying to add to the panic! Just clarifying some math.

I appreciate that clarification. I was looking at this chart and saw the curve appear to slow down....and yikes.
okay...mask and wash hands. I notice the r factor for my state has picked up as well and the certainty range has increased in time.

screenshot (40).png

voce

Ideal_Rock
I know I am a voice screaming from the void on this, but I was pretty cavalier about it too until I saw it up close. You DO NOT want immunity (inasmuch as it exists, which of course is open to debate) to this gained the hard way. Trust me-- you do not.

My daughter is about to have an MRI for persistent dizziness when she exercises
My H is about to have an endoscopy for upper GI issues that started with the virus and still haven't gone completely
My doctor, who had it in March, still hasn't recovered her sense of taste and smell
A good friend who tested antibody positive in April, May and June has now tested negative in July and August
Another friend, an avid cyclist, runner and rower is struggling after walking up a flight of stairs two months after recovery
I'm getting on in my age and would like to conceive a child naturally while I still can. I think immunity gained the hard way, with antibodies, can help protect a fetus in my body; not so with shots. I want a child at this point, but am scared of what the virus would do to a fetus or a newborn. I just don't think I can put off having a child forever. Ideally I'd want to birth two--a daughter and a son.

I am in no way cavalier about this disease. The effects seems to be multi-system and very nasty for some people. I don't want it nor do I think I'll be okay. The crazy things about it - it's such a Russian Roulette effect for some people. I personally know of someone with congestive heart failure, she weights over 400 lbs, is an uncontrolled diabetic. She resides in a nursing home as she is too fragile to live alone. It came through her home and killed people nearby. She just had a cough and no fever four weeks out, and no noticeable lingering effects....why?

Then, we see the young and strong succumb to a terrible disease course. It must have to do with genetics at some level. It's so scattered in response.

Any disease has to do with genetics. Someone had posted on PS a study linking the severity of symptoms from COVID with the prevalence of a piece of Neanderthal DNA found on chromosome 3. I just thought that was super interesting.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate that clarification. I was looking at this chart and saw the curve appear to slow down....and yikes.
okay...mask and wash hands. I notice the r factor for my state has picked up as well and the certainty range has increased in time.

screenshot (40).png

I think this graphic helps your case better:
1596650445239.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Any disease has to do with genetics. Someone had posted on PS a study linking the severity of symptoms from COVID with the prevalence of a piece of Neanderthal DNA found on chromosome 3. I just thought that was super interesting.

Thanks, @voce . That study sounds so interesting - I'm going to go find it. How it hits different populations is so unusual.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am afraid.
I will probably have to step away from the internet to get my bearings, because I’ve become addicted to the constant barrage of bad news and general dystopia. Scrolling through YouTube after dinner tonight landed me on Dan Bell’s channel, which specializes in dead mall documentaries. For some reason seeing the ruins of 80’s exceptionalism made me cry. I had just chatted with my dear friend on the phone who was once my supervisor at a mall shop, and while everything is still fine for her, I hung up feeling like it was an actual goodbye. This must surely be irrational and a result of over-emotion.

It seems like the fear has permeated everything around me and unplugging from news might be the best solution for a while. Of course, sticking my head in the sand won’t create positive change. But maybe it will help me relax a bit. Tension is a bad thing now.

Wishing everyone peace and comfort. And some of that for me too.

About a week ago I stepped away from FaceBook. I always had it in the background and my husband was positing things that made me want to get in the car and poke him with a sharp stick (sigh). He's a great husband, super supportive, affectionate, loving, steady....but OMG, the politics.

Anyhow, after stepping away I noticed I am feeling so much better. I do drop in for a few minutes a day to check on my family, but I don't sit there and feast on the worst of humanity. It is helping!
Thank God.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't say how I really feel here. It's all becoming a big chore. I am feeling very negative. I have books to read. That would distract me. I just need to force myself off the net.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I am afraid.
I will probably have to step away from the internet to get my bearings, because I’ve become addicted to the constant barrage of bad news and general dystopia. Scrolling through YouTube after dinner tonight landed me on Dan Bell’s channel, which specializes in dead mall documentaries. For some reason seeing the ruins of 80’s exceptionalism made me cry. I had just chatted with my dear friend on the phone who was once my supervisor at a mall shop, and while everything is still fine for her, I hung up feeling like it was an actual goodbye. This must surely be irrational and a result of over-emotion.

It seems like the fear has permeated everything around me and unplugging from news might be the best solution for a while. Of course, sticking my head in the sand won’t create positive change. But maybe it will help me relax a bit. Tension is a bad thing now.

Wishing everyone peace and comfort. And some of that for me too.

I haven’t watched the news or talked about Covid in months and was doing great. Like mentally really well until everyone kept messaging me and calling me To talk about it. I think it’s a great idea for you to not watch the news and take a break because it really makes a big difference

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't say how I really feel here. It's all becoming a big chore. I am feeling very negative. I have books to read. That would distract me. I just need to force myself off the net.

Or just take the internet in the way you want to so you can enjoy it. Ignore all the "news" about the pandemic and the election (if that bothers you) and take what you want from it and leave the rest. Pick and choose what appeals to you.

I do that all the time especially now. Too much unpleasantness everywhere and I just leave it and move to things I want to see and enjoy.

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 6.42.53 AM.png

And music (for me) makes everything feel better if you kwim. Even when I cannot concentrate on my favorite activities (reading used to be one) I can always let music take me away to a happier place. Maybe it can help you too @lyra? (((HUGS))).

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
This would be the perfect time for a big project or self-improvement project. For example, writing a book, learning to play a musical instrument or getting decently good at painting or sewing (with online lessons), doing a bunch of online workouts and getting into great shape, painting your house, etc.

Yep, I tell myself that every day. Now all I have to do is pick one and get started on it haha.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results