carat
color
clarity

Documenting Yellow Fluorescence

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI All!
There's so much discussion about fluorescence. IMO it's one of the biggest "wildcards" about assessing a diamond.
Yellow diamonds with blue fluorescence are heavily discounted due to the fact that a percentage of fl diamonds are hazy. Also, blue and yellow are kind of opposite in terms of color- so some fluorescent yellow diamonds' color is not as pure as an inert diamond.
But sometimes there are no ill effects, and the discount is not justified.
I recently shot a video showing how a yellow diamond turns blue under a UV lamp- IMO, the fluorescent diamond in the video is one that does not suffer ill effects of fluorescence. But it clearly changes color!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool! i just love fluorescence and phosphorescence. Luckily I have had one yet where the fluorescence impacted the diamond negatively.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What do they look like in full daylight next to each other?
Is it enough UV to activate the blue in the diamond to a large degree or only under a UV lamp?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent video and a cool stone, thank you for posting!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What do they look like in full daylight next to each other?
Is it enough UV to activate the blue in the diamond to a large degree or only under a UV lamp?
Great question old friend!!
The video was taken in natural lighting- near an open window. Theres sufficient UV in the lighting to activate fluorescence- iow if the stones color would visibly change, it would have

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great video @Rockdiamond! I love diamonds that exhibit unique (non blue) fluorescence. Here's a photo of a melee stone at the bottom of my wife's pendant with green fluor.

IMG_20190531_135554686.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results