shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think the jeweler tried to take advantage of me? platinum solitaire setting

BECHA

Rough_Rock
I bought a 2 ct. lab diamond and went to a local jeweler to set it. I specified that I wanted a flat sided simple solitaire ring 2mm wide by 1.8mm high, and the jeweler seemed to get an idea. When discussing the bottom of the ring (I thought I wanted tapered) he specifically said that he will add "more platinum" for another $200 so it won't be tapered. Total came up to 1400 w/tax. When I went to evaluate the ring, I found this:

The whole design is tapered and the ring is very thin/light. I did mention several times that I wanted it to be comfortable so it won't stick out too much. When measured, the widest part came out to be 2.2 (the tip of the bowtie near the prongs), the whole bowtie I think was made to save metal, and the bottom is only 1.2mm, I told him I've read it should be at least 1.8mm thick for a better wear and we were charged extra for it to be 2mm. He offered to refund $200. I said that if it was 1.5mm I would agree, but at 1.2mm I am afraid it will not wear well. He presented me with calculations on that orange piece of paper stating that the difference between 1.5 and 1.2 mm is small, and I am too focused on millimeters, while he made a ring to the best proportions. I took pictures and left a ring there. In my opinion it is not much of a ring for the money. At this stage I think I'd like my money back (wish me luck for trying to get back my deposit) but wanted to get an independent opinion first. What do you think?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if their intent was to take advantage of you, but if you asked for something specific, and what they delivered was not what you asked for, you have the right to get your deposit back. I would not set a 2 carat lab diamond on such a flimsy setting. It would make the ring look cheap IMO, and a 2 carat lab diamond is not cheap!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would not be happy with the bottom of the shank being only 1.2mm thin, even in platinum!!!

Based on what I can read so far, and am fully aware it is only one side of the story, I believe the ring had been made wrong, and the jeweller is trying to convince you that it is acceptable at a lower price as a concession.

If it had happened to me, I would reject it as I believe it is not substantial enough for daily long term wear.

Was there a CAD being made for the OP to approve by any chance?

DK :))

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
1.2mm for a daily wear ring is asking alot of it, even if it is in platinum and hand forged.

i don't feel it is substantial enough to withstand usual and typical daily wear and use. that area of the ring endures the most "wear and tear"

i would not be alright with it, whatsoever ...

BECHA

Rough_Rock
Was there a CAD being made for the OP to approve by any chance?

There was no CAD, the jeweler spent bigger part of the appointment trying to sell us wedding bands, I did however used one of the bands as an example of exact hight/width/shape I wanted for my e-ring settings

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 1.22 is too thin for the bottom. TBH - I also think 1.5 is too thin. He didn’t make what you hired him to do so I would give him the option to remake it to the specs agreed upon or if he doesn’t want to continue the business relationship to refund your money and walk away.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"He presented me with calculations on that orange piece of paper stating that the difference between 1.5 and 1.2 mm is small, and I am too focused on millimeters, while he made a ring to the best proportions"

Yeah but the basis for your original agreement seems to have been the mm specifications. And the percentage difference between 1.5 and 1.2 is quite large, about 1/4 of the size again. Whats more from what you are saying he was acrually supposed to deliver 2 mm (and 1.5 was your absolute lower bound for acceptable). I dont get how he got from 2 mm to 1.2 mm, didnt personally think it would be a problem and then proceeded to argue you shouldnt think it is a problem either (thats a big difference in size). If you have never worked with him before, and dont have any other experiences to draw on then I am going to suggest you save yourself some grief -- as he is not listening to what you are asking for and arguing against it when it is pointed out that he ignored the original terms of your agreement. Also those arguments are flimsy, as the difference between 1.2 and 1.5 is significant. And it only gets worse when you consider his original benchmark was supposed to be 2 mm (not 1.5 which was the largest forgivable deviation).

Thus he can never deliver what you want. I dont know. You wouls have gotten a better impression of him in person, maybe I am too harsh -- but Id be crawling out of my skin.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a work sheet specifying your requirements?
It is always appropriate to get paperwork, in exchange for your deposit, that outlines your requirements.
Discussions about your Ring design ie width, height and the implications need to be discussed BEFORE you commit and pay a deposit. If your desires aren’t practical ie band too thin / too thick, height too high, not high enough, style and number of prongs, the jeweller explains upfront and you agree (or not) to his suggestions. This is just sensible, everyone is on the same page and it’s in “black and white”.
I’d ask that either the ring be remade as you require or alternatively take your business somewhere else.

abbit

Rough_Rock
My wedding ring is 1.35mm thick and 3mm wide. Had it almost 10 years and no signs of it wearing thin. However if it's not to your specifications that is not right. My e ring was 1.8mm and I do notice the difference in thickness.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry this is not going well. How much deposit did you put down? From experience I now just walk away from any jeweler who I don't have good interactions with. I can hold a grudge and don't like looking fown at my hand and remembering an unpleasant experience. If you can get the deposit back, great. If you have to walk away from the money, and can afford it, do it. Your request was simple, the style is classic, so you will be able to find a stock setting or get another jeweler to make it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They made it incorrectly and are now trying to save their money by convincing you that they’re right and you’re wrong.

The opposite is true: You’re right and they’re wrong. Push for a full refund and don’t look back - they either can not or will not do what you actually want; neither is promising.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results