shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you sleep with your engagement ring on?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I usually take off all my jewellery when I''m at home as well, including my ring, watch, and chain. So I don''t sleep or clean in it. Sometimes I wear it when I''m putting on lotion, though.

I wear it to the gym as well.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
I dont wear it while Im sleeping... I''d probably scratch my face or something.. so i steer clear from that!! I also only wear it when Im going somewhere.. but when Im at home.. I dont wear it because Im usually cleaning and I want to maintain its pristine condition... LOL im silly I kmow... But its stays in its box ALOT.... :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds may be hard, but they are not that tough (Jade is a LOT tougher, even though it is quite soft). They also have perfect cleavage. Hit it in the wrong place and you may well end up with two diamonds! Diamonds can also chip without a huge amount of difficulty.

No setting should be worn 24/7. Sleeping in your rings can cause the prongs to catch on the sheets and start to lift a little - next thing you know, the stone has worked loose and fallen out somewhere.

Delicate settings - especially with pave - run the risk of getting bashed out of shape and loosing stones.

If you wear a ring all the time, the stone will get very dirty - and even if you clean them with a US, it's not a great idea to do it every day or to put a ring with pave in a US.

I wear my e-ring when I go out or if we have people over and I'm not doing major cooking or anything. At home it goes in it's box along with my w-band. I also have a small box in my bag in case I am carrying heavy shopping or something (picking up heavy bags/suitcases is an easy way to bend your ring and risk losing stones).

blissfulbride

Shiny_Rock
omg I use to sleep with my ring on, and it ruin my DKNY 600 dollar duvet set, because it pulled on the treads. I take it off every night now ! lol

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I wear mine all the time except when I''m at the gym or in the shower. It''s kinda cheesy, but FI and I don''t live in the same city right now, and wearing it at night makes me feel closer to him. But I guess after hearing what Pandora said, I might rethink wearing it while I''m sleeping.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 9:33:05 AM
Author:mayachel
What activities warrant taking off your engagement ring? I feel just a tad silly, because I am ridiculously excited, but overwhelmingly practical at the moment. This means, I''m wearing my ring for maybe 20% of the day. No real hard labor, but it comes off to do dishes, laundry, majority of my work, because I have to wash my hands a zillion times a day...I''m also taking it off and putting it in its box at night, which does have the plus side of being excited to put it on in the morning...
Not silly at all - very sensible!

Everytime I ever go home, I have to ''confiscate'' all my relatives'' e-rings and take them off for a good soak and a scrub and put them through my US. They all insist on wearing them 24/7 and they look
14.gif

My mother has now learnt to take her e-ring off - the last time I cleaned it, I had a look with a loupe and the prongs had worn down so much that one of the diamonds was being held in by gunk. It has now been reset.

Do take your ring in every 6 months and have the prongs checked - or buy a loupe and learn how to check them yourself.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear my wedding band almost at all times, only take it off to clean it (after shower in the morning) and if I''m doing something really messy with my hands. I do wear it to sleep.

In the beginning, I wore my engagement ring that way. I started taking it off to sleep when I caused some damage to the prongs that way. It got SO cloudy in the shower, and it was easier just to take it off. So then I was taking it off for sleep, and not putting it back on until after my shower.

Now I mostly leave it off until I''m leaving the house. Sometimes I''ll have the impulse to go put it on while I''m at home, but usually not. I like wearing just my band
1.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
I always remove my ering and diamond earrings before going to sleep. Since I am meticulous about keeping them clean, I hate the thought of sleeping and possibly (shock/horror) inadvertently touching the diamond.
20.gif
Also, I don''t like the idea of the possibility of the prongs catching or of bashing myself or FI with my ring by accident. <-- don''t ask.
1.gif

I find that, for the most part, as soon as I get home or shortly after, I take off my diamond jewelry and place it in it''s home. Just don''t want to take the risk of getting comfortable wearing them all the time and getting lazy about taking the off for tasks that they really should be removed for, i.e., cleaning, cooking etc.

I love your perpsective ... It''s true! It is exciting to open up your ring box in the morning and pull your sparkly beauty out ... Another terrific reason to take it off before bed.
36.gif
For whatever it''s worth, I think that they way that you are treating your ring is right ... You are preventing damage and preserving it''s beauty.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 1:29:51 PM
Author: Pandora II

Do take your ring in every 6 months and have the prongs checked - or buy a loupe and learn how to check them yourself.

Thanks Pandora, I actually wouldn''t have thought of checking the prongs.

Mostly, I don''t want to scratch up the band, or feel like I''m inadvertently bashing the stones. I know these things will all happen over time, but don''t want to purposely put it in harms way.

(eewwww digging meat parts out of the ring) or making cookies (ewwww digging cookie dough out of the ring)

Allie, this made me laugh so hard! Eww is right.

ETA: I get excited every morning before I leave too when I get to put it on!!

Yay Luvthemstrawberries!I totally know what you mean. I''m thinking when the newness wears off I might be a little more lackidasical about it.

9.gif

It''s so much fun seeing everyone''s different ways of handling their rings (yikes pun!)

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I did when we first got engaged, then I managed to scratch both of us with it. Now it goes in its special box next to the bed at night. It also has places where it lives when I''m doing housework/cleaning, labwork, or anything else where it might get damaged.

dreaming of the day

Shiny_Rock
I don''t really take off my ring for anything. Sometimes when I shower (if I remember), and putting on lotion. Other than that I do everything in it - sleep, clean, cook. Mine is micro pave too, but I guess I just feel that it is meant to be worn and if I can''t wear doing my regular everyday things than I am not getting all of the enjoyment out of it I should be!
If something happens to it, like a stone pops out, than I will get it fixed, no big deal. I would rather not be extra careful and get it fixed when need be, and luckily no problems so far!

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
I sleep with mine on, now. I didn''t at first, but I tried it and I don''t have problems with scratching myself. My fingers tend to swell up and down a lot, and taking it off and on a lot is a pain (literally), so I usually just leave it on. I do take if off for sex!! I''m afraid I''ll scratch FI. I also take it off if I''m working out with weights or machines at the gym, or when I''m kayaking, skiing or backpacking. I keep it on if I''m just doing a dayhike, and I also wear it during spinning class. I''ll be really happy once I have my band, because I plan to wear that sucker everywhere, even during the times I take off my e-ring. I''ll probably never take it off, literally.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2008 2:06:54 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
I always remove my ering and diamond earrings before going to sleep. Since I am meticulous about keeping them clean, I hate the thought of sleeping and possibly (shock/horror) inadvertently touching the diamond.
20.gif

OMG! I hate touching the diamond too! I HATE it when people are like "Oh that''s such a pretty diamond! How big is it? Can I see it?" SO I hold my hand out...AND THEY TOUCH IT WITH THEIR OILY FAT FINGERS RIGHT ON THE TABLE! AHHHH!!!!
32.gif

Drives me crazy! I want to say DON''T DO THAT! GRRR!
32.gif
But then I feel like I''m being mean bc they were just admiring my perrdy ring!
20.gif

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2008 4:11:30 PM
Author: marchswallowbird
I sleep with mine on, now. I didn''t at first, but I tried it and I don''t have problems with scratching myself. My fingers tend to swell up and down a lot, and taking it off and on a lot is a pain (literally), so I usually just leave it on. I do take if off for sex!! I''m afraid I''ll scratch FI. I also take it off if I''m working out with weights or machines at the gym, or when I''m kayaking, skiing or backpacking. I keep it on if I''m just doing a dayhike, and I also wear it during spinning class. I''ll be really happy once I have my band, because I plan to wear that sucker everywhere, even during the times I take off my e-ring. I''ll probably never take it off, literally.

ROTFWL! I''ve taken it off for that as well because my diamond so set so high! LOL!
20.gif

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
My rings have bead-set pave and I still wear them all the time, with the exception that I do remove my engagement ring when I''m baking or applying lotion.

I was super paranoid about my engagement ring at first and removed it all the time. I remember we went to a concert a week after we were engaged, and I was even afraid to clap!!! Now it''s just like a part of my finger.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Stephanie, you''re funny. I don''t care if people touch my ring but for some reason I hate it when they ask to try it on, unless they are really close friends of mine (and even then...).

Marchswallowbird, I never thought about scratching someone else with my ring! But I knew a woman (with a whopper of a diamond) who taught little kids, and she told me that once when she went to hug a child she scratched the kid''s face!!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I'm like fiery and pocahontas. I only wear it when I go out, excluding jogging or swimming. I keep it locked in my desk then because I don't trust the gym locker room. At home it stays in my box. Once I went out with FI to lunch, and told him to turn around because I forgot to wear my ring
3.gif

Now I watch Friends episodes and cringe whenever I see Monica cooking with her ring on. I'm sure real Chefs don't do that...And remember that episode when Rachael baked her ring in Lasagna?
23.gif

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 9:37:43 AM
Author: fieryred33143

Author:mayachel
What activities warrant taking off your engagement ring?
Getting home.

Seriously, I don''t wear my ring at home at all. I have a routine as soon as I get home: hang up my purse, grab a bottle of water, and put my ring in its box.

On Fridays, I will put the ring away and sometimes won''t see it again until Monday morning.
I am pretty much the same way, except I almost never go out so the rings are off my finger often.

Whenever I leave the apartment (unless it is to go to the gym or cattery where I volunteer) I put the ring on. It comes off within an hour of getting home usually. I love my rings to death but I have a tendancy, when my hands are idle, to take them off and leave them places LOL.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I never wear my rings to bed. I take them off before bedtime and put them on again in the morning when I go out. I alternate between wearing them all or just the wedding band, or wedding band/stacking ring. If I''m at home for the day they don''t go back on at all. If I''m home and take them off to do dishes they don''t go back on.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I normally take mine off before I go to bed. I''ve slept with it on a couple of times but not often.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I only take mine off to shower. I put on lotion, clean the ring, then put it right back on. My fingers don''t swell when I sleep, and none of my prongs are sharp, so I don''t need to take it off when I go to bed. Once I get a wedding band, I might wear it less . . . but probably not. If something happens to it--c''est la vie. That''s why I have a great insurance policy.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I take mine off when I get home if I plan on doing houswork, washing etc, but I put it back on every night and wear it all the other times. I always wear it to bed as my arthritic knuckles tend to swell overnight, and I have trouble getting it back on for the first hour or so in the morning.

I never ever leave the house without it! I have once got to the end of the street and had to turn back for my ering, I couldn''t leave it at home. I only ever place it straight into the box when I take it off, I never leave it lying around the place.

You have to remember to enjoy your rings too. There is no point being so obsessive to take it off to protect it, if it means you never wear the thing. You could be hit by a bus tomorow - do you want to know you weren''t wearing your diamonds when it came time for lights out? Not me.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I wear my ring every moment. I only take it off to shower and do things like dishes. I only take it off if there is a safe place to put it. I''m a bit paranoid about losing it. So I figure that it''s safer on my finger. And I''m forgetful so i''d forget to put it back on in the morning. And I feel naked without it.

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
i take it off pretty much when i get home from work. i dont like doing dishes or cooking with it on or anything like that...and i dont put it back on until i take a shower the next day....its just my routine with it now

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 4:21:37 PM
Author: redrose229

Date: 12/18/2008 2:06:54 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
20.gif

OMG! I hate touching the diamond too! I HATE it when people are like ''Oh that''s such a pretty diamond! How big is it? Can I see it?'' SO I hold my hand out...AND THEY TOUCH IT WITH THEIR OILY FAT FINGERS RIGHT ON THE TABLE! AHHHH!!!!
32.gif

Drives me crazy! I want to say DON''T DO THAT! GRRR!
32.gif
But then I feel like I''m being mean bc they were just admiring my perrdy ring!
20.gif
29.gif
32.gif
ME TOO!!!

PSer CONFESION:::: I actually carry a glasses cleaning cloth around in my bag (microfibre cloth designed to clean spectacles etc) and it''s perfect for removing annoying table smudges when someone oggles your diamond
37.gif
Ok, feeling really stoopid now
40.gif

DF is a darling though - he has learnt to hold my hand without smudging my stone now - bless him
9.gif

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
I vary. Sometimes I''ll take it off when I''m doing housework, and othertimes I won''t. I''m a teacher, and I use my hands a lot, but I always wear my ring when I''m at school. I almost always sleep with my ring on, but I absolutely never shower with it on. I take it off when I wash my hands, and I try to remember to take it off before I go to the gym, but sometimes I''ll forget and just wear it rather than leave it in a questionable locker with a questionable lock. If I''m cooking it comes off (seriously, ground turkey bits in a ring is REALLY NASTY!).

My husband feels slighted if I don''t wear it, or he''ll immediately think I''ve lost it :razz: He''ll say, "where''s your ring? Why aren''t you wearing it? Did it fall down the sink?!"

He''s even more girly about it than I am, haha!

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I wear mine 24/7. It's definitely not ideal for the ring - I am VERY hard on it. Thank goodness I have no pave. Unfortunately, I do have a pretty little yellow diamond hidden on the palm side that is always filthy, because I don't take the ring off when I put on lotion or cook etc. I cleaned it this weekend, and lo and behold, you could tell what colour the diamond is! I need to do that more.

I've chipped a facet of my sapphire, which made me absolutely sick to my stomach. But in my defense, it was while I was using the ladies room at work - not someplace I would have thought to take it off! An incautious gesture smacked it against the wall.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
Fortunately, I'm the only one who can see the chip.

As for the swelling at night thing, I have a horseshoe shaped permanent guard that adjusts the size, so I can get it off even when my fingers are at their largest, but it doesn't spin or fall off when they shrink. I highly recommend them!

ETA: I guess my answer might be different if my ring had prongs or sat up much above my finger, but I have a semi bezel set EW in an thick platinum band, so it's pretty sturdy, and won't scratch us.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I wear mine when I leave the house. Around the house it is variable, but I never wear it to bed (like Sparklicious, I also like being able to open up the box every day and see it to remind me of the proposal), to cook, to clean, or to work out.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I take my ER off when I go to bed and put it on in the morning after drying & styling my hair. (I hate the thought of the hair product covering my diamond!)
My wedding band is a plain Platinum band. I'm so glad that I chose it because it never comes off.. I wear it 24/7, I even wore it in the hospital when having my children
1.gif

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring is the Michael B princess, and wedding band is the 3-sided pave ring from his flat band collection, so both are ALL pave. It makes me nervous to wear them when I know I''m going to be hard on them. I will wear only my band to work if I know I have a "physical" day ahead of me, but otherwise I wear both. As soon as I am home for the day, both rings come off and go into the cleaner to soak until the next morning. I never sleep with them on- I read in Martha a long time ago that this is very bad for your ring
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results