shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you sleep with your engagement ring on?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
What activities warrant taking off your engagement ring? I feel just a tad silly, because I am ridiculously excited, but overwhelmingly practical at the moment. This means, I''m wearing my ring for maybe 20% of the day. No real hard labor, but it comes off to do dishes, laundry, majority of my work, because I have to wash my hands a zillion times a day...I''m also taking it off and putting it in its box at night, which does have the plus side of being excited to put it on in the morning...

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 9:33:05 AM
Author:mayachel
What activities warrant taking off your engagement ring?
Getting home.

Seriously, I don''t wear my ring at home at all. I have a routine as soon as I get home: hang up my purse, grab a bottle of water, and put my ring in its box.

On Fridays, I will put the ring away and sometimes won''t see it again until Monday morning.

xpuff

Rough_Rock
I wear my ring 99% of the time. I take it off to put on lotion and that''s it!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Before, i wouldn't really take it off, minus when I'd bake things that would get all gooey in my ring and doing dishes. I have been taking it off lately when I shower, but that's about it. (I also make sure that I pull the little stopper down in the bathroom sink before I take it off, just in case I were to knock it into the sink!)

I just love wearing it too much!

ETA I do take it off to put on lotion of any kind, face or hand.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I NEVER take my ring off and I do mean NEVER...really the only time I take it off is when I am making meatballs (eewwww digging meat parts out of the ring) or making cookies (ewwww digging cookie dough out of the ring) other than that it is always on, shower, sleep Etc. Is that crazy?

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
My FI gets really upset when i don''t wear my ring so i have a crystal ring holder by the sink when i am doing dishes, and there is one in my bathroom for when i am washing my hands, and one in my bedroom for when i am sleeping. otherwise i am wearing it.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I wear it when I''m sleeping. The first morning we woke up as an engaged couple FI dug my hand out from under the covers and said "Yup! Not just a dream! It happened!"

I take it off and drop it in my jewelery cleaning solution when I''m showering. Once I''m done putting on face lotion and brushing my teeth I pull the stopper in the sink, remove it from the cleanser, brush it a little, rinse, and stick it back on my hand. It also comes off for doing dishes and any sort of cooking that involves getting my hands dirty.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
I don''t wear my rings when I''m at home and I can''t seem to remember to put them on when I leave the house lol.....my hubby always gives me a hard time about it...we joke around that I''m his girlfriend and not his wife when I don''t have my rings on lol which is about 80% of the time.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2008 10:00:14 AM
Author: AllieLuv83
I NEVER take my ring off and I do mean NEVER...really the only time I take it off is when I am making meatballs (eewwww digging meat parts out of the ring) or making cookies (ewwww digging cookie dough out of the ring) other than that it is always on, shower, sleep Etc. Is that crazy?

I do the same thing. However, my ring is just a plain WG cathedrial. I plan on getting it reset into a very nice Bev. K setting and so I''ll probably me less hard on it because it has micropave (I think...maybe just pave?) and I don''t want it to get hurt. It looks super delicate. I wish you could pop the stone in and out of a setting so you can change it for whatever your doing!
20.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I got mine a week ago, and I'm still very careful with it. I wear it around home if I'm not doing anything rough, but I don't wear it for doing dishes, showering, sleeping, cooking, working out. I have a fear of something happening while I sleep and waking up and never being able to find stones among the sheets. I wash my hands a lot too. I'm only just now getting a little used to the idea that it's usually safe when I use the restroom and wash my hands as long as I don't fling my hands really hard, haha.

I plan on getting a few ring holders for around the house. For now it stays in its box when not on my finger at home. I haven't had to take it off yet when not at home, but I need to get a pouch for its home in my purse when that need arises.

After being on here a while and asking lots of ring questions, I was told by many that NO e-ring is made to wear 24/7, including diamonds. As my jeweler said, we know we're engaged, that's really what matters!

ETA: I get excited every morning before I leave too when I get to put it on!!
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Mine comes off for almost everything too. Off as soon as I hit the door when I get home. I don''t do dishes, or clean in it. I slept in it once, and the prongs sratched a furrow in my neck, so that was a no go.... LOL.

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
i only take mine off when i put lotion on,go to the gym,shower,and cook things that involve manual hand squishing... other than that its on my finger

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I wear my all the time except when...I''m showering, washing my hands, doing dishes and cooking. My finace gets a little upset when I wear it to the gym. I do take it off sometimes when I lift weights but other than that...always on.

ociopia

Rough_Rock
I wear mine all the time. I sleep in it, bathe in it, everything (well if I made meatloaf, I''d take it off.)

Other than getting it dirty, why are people taking theirs off so often?

I have a cappucino-maker and I steam clean it every morning. I love it to be sparkly!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 9:58:51 AM
Author: cammy85
Before, i wouldn't really take it off, minus when I'd bake things that would get all gooey in my ring and doing dishes. I have been taking it off lately when I shower, but that's about it. (I also make sure that I pull the little stopper down in the bathroom sink before I take it off, just in case I were to knock it into the sink!)

I just love wearing it too much!

ETA I do take it off to put on lotion of any kind, face or hand.
I do the exact same thing!! I lost my DY necklace down the drain in a hotel a few months ago. Luckily they didn't have hidden plumbing (and I didn't have the water running!!), so I could just take it apart and pull it out, but I will never make that mistake again.

Cbs- C gets irritated with me as well if I'm not wearing it for some reason.

I NEVER take my ring off, other than showers, washing my face, and playing sports. I learned my lesson about removing rings the hard way, with a DY ring FI got me for Christmas two years ago. I eat, sleep, wash dishes and clothes in my ring. I love wearing it!!

ETA: I only have one place in our home that I am allowed to put it, when I do take it off.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 10:31:33 AM
Author: ociopia
I wear mine all the time. I sleep in it, bathe in it, everything (well if I made meatloaf, I''d take it off.)

I have a cappucino-maker and I steam clean it every morning. I love it to be sparkly!
Mine has pave all over it so i am terrified about loosing a stone.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

I take mine off any time my hands will be wet, because my fingers taper and the silly things fall off, LOL.
I''ve also scratched the bejeebers out of rings wearing them to do housework, so off the new setting comes.
1.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I wear mine everyday - although, when i get home from work - every piece of jewelry comes off, including my wedding set.

I have 2 pave bands as well as a pave setting for my engagement ring - i don''t want to be too rough on the set - plus, I''ve dinged it far too many times for comfort, so I take the safe road and take them off when I don''t HAVE to wear them
1.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
When I first got my engagement ring, I wore it all the time. I loved it so much, and it was so beautiful that I hated to leave it even for a moment! I never took it off...in the shower, to bed, cooking, cleaning, working...whatever...it was on my finger, and that''s saying a lot since when I first became engaged, I was working in a hairs. Then, I knocked loose a prong, I stopped wearing it all the time...and only when I am out and about and never at home, no matter what.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 10:36:47 AM
Author: geckodani

I take mine off any time my hands will be wet, because my fingers taper and the silly things fall off, LOL.
I''ve also scratched the bejeebers out of rings wearing them to do housework, so off the new setting comes.
1.gif
Ditto - my fingers taper and swell up and down a lot, so sometimes it''s kind of loose. I''m also very clumsy, especially around the house. My hands tend to accidentally knock into all sorts of things, they have their own minds. I worry about a small diamond falling out or breaking a prong eventually. I know the metal''s strong, but everything has a scratching and breaking point.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 9:37:43 AM
Author: fieryred33143

Date: 12/18/2008 9:33:05 AM
Author:mayachel
What activities warrant taking off your engagement ring?
Getting home.

Seriously, I don''t wear my ring at home at all. I have a routine as soon as I get home: hang up my purse, grab a bottle of water, and put my ring in its box.
What Fiery said! Outside of the home, I don''t wear my ring to the gym, yoga studio, or to do any kind of manual labor (i.e. shovel snow, gardening, etc.). Also, if I''m already home and I have to make a quick trip to the convenience or grocery stores etc. I''ll opt to keep my ring tucked away in it''s box.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

Jewelry for me is just jewelry. The only material thing that has sentimental value to me is my necklace because it was the first gift FI ever gave me and he went through so much just to get it. It never, ever comes off. As soon as I get home I take everything else off especially my ring. I hate wearing rings period. I find them annoying. I have no concern about it getting dirty. I wash dishes with the big yellow gloves since I like to wash with really hot water so if my ring was on, it wouldn''t get dirty. And when I clean I wear latex gloves since normal household cleaning supplies makes my skin very dry when I come in contact with it (I have really sensitive skin). I tried taking a shower with the ring on once and it kept getting caught in my sponge.

Plus when I sleep, my fingers swell.

Dani-The same happens to me! The other day I went back upstairs to get my laptop because I had walked out without it. When I walked in, FI was standing there with my laptop and my ring in his hand, just shaking his head LOL

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I wear my ering most of the time. I have a job where I travel to manufacturing plants so I can't wear it on the plant floor (no jewelry except for a plain wedding ring without any stones on it). I will wear it to the plant for meetings and things and just take it off to go out on the plant floor; I don't leave it at home because I really like to wear it. I take it off if I'm doing cooking stuff with my hands (kneading bread comes to mind) and to put on lotion, but that's about it. Other than that I don't do hard labor really, but I'd take it off if I was doing stuff outside like yardwork (we don't have a yard right now, so I don't have to worry about that). I don't wear it in the shower either.

I do take it off for bed and put it in my jewelry box. However, when I'm traveling (usually one to two nights per week) I'll often wear it to bed, just because I like waking up in the middle of the night and knowing it's there. I can't sleep next to FI, so I like to have my ring on.

I'm planning to get a plain band when we get married. I'll be able to wear it in the plants, wear it to bed, wear it out hiking, etc. I plan to leave my wedding band on all the time.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 10:27:42 AM
Author: emeraldlover1
I wear my all the time except when...I''m showering, washing my hands, doing dishes and cooking. My finace gets a little upset when I wear it to the gym. I do take it off sometimes when I lift weights but other than that...always on.
Ditto, plus when I use lotion. Otherwise, I always wear them. For those who take their ER off so much, do you/will you always take your WB off to, or wear that more often (or 24/7)? Just curious...especially if it''s a solid WB without diamonds/pave.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
I pretty much wear it all the time, like my watch. I really do love my ring so I don''t mind wearing it, plus the fiance picks on me when I don''t wear it. I used to take it off for exercising, but after running my first 1/2 marathon with it on, b/c I wanted something of my fiance with me since he couldn''t be there, I keep it on for that now too. The only times I end up taking it off is for cleaning dishes, cleaning house, cooking/chopping, and when I wash my hands/shower. I just hate having water in between the ring and my fingers and sometime, if the water is cold, the ring gets loose
emcrook.gif

Other than that, I love to wear it!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 12:08:28 PM
Author: lovinsparkles

Ditto, plus when I use lotion. Otherwise, I always wear them. For those who take their ER off so much, do you/will you always take your WB off to, or wear that more often (or 24/7)? Just curious...especially if it''s a solid WB without diamonds/pave.
I plan on a plain platinum band and will wear it more often - probably sleeping, mild cooking, etc. But I may still take it off when doing rough things, like yardwork or in the gym. Even if there''s no stones, I don''t want to scratch it more than I have to.

I have entertained the idea of an extra plain white gold band for going to the gym (ward off the creepies, haha my gym has some) and for far off trips where I wouldn''t want to wear diamonds but still want a band on.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Mine stays on all the time. iI do give it a little clean most days though if it has got gunky during the day, which invariably it will seeing as I work in a school!

I used to take it off for washing dishes etc but I don''t bother now.

Mine is a modest 1/3 carat diamond ring anyway, quite modest. If it were a more elaborate one liek many of you have I would takle it off for sleep, washing etc too though.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take my rings off to:
- Sleep
- Hand-wash dishes
- Shower
- Put on lotion
- Hike/rollerblade/ski/run/swim, basically anything athletic where I might fall, sweat, get swollen hands, etc.

I pretty much wear my rings all of the time, excluding during the above activities. I do wear it when I cook now, but I didn''t at first.

I soak my rings in jewelry cleaner every night, so they''re nice and shiny when I take them out each morning.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 12:08:28 PM
Author: lovinsparkles

I would wear a band more often. I still wouldn''t wear around the house. If its a solid wb (which it won''t be) then I probably would wear 24/7.

I''ve never thought of taking off my e-ring as being such a big deal. Actually the night FI proposed, I didn''t sleep with it on either. I don''t think I''ve ever slept with it on. And when I travel, especially internationally, I never bring it with me.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I''m with Fiery - when I get home, I take my ring off and put it away. But Joe doesn''t like it when I don''t wear my ring in public, so I''ll put it back on if we go out - even just for a stroll around the neighborhood.

I should really wear a 5 - 5.25 size ring, but mine''s a 5.5 because my hands swell in summer and I''m uncomfortable with things fitting closely (I often wear shoes half a size too big, too - and my friends sometimes tell me my clothes are too big, but i don''t like anything tight! psychoanalyze me if you must.) - so i think it might come off if i wore it to sleep.

When I exercise outside or in the gym, I have a silver band with another white stone that I wear instead, because i don''t care if that gets knocked around a bit or bends, or whatever.

Oh, also, when I went on job interviews in the fall I didn''t wear the bling, because law firms apparently don''t like to hire young women who could get pregnant soon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results