shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you sleep with your engagement ring on?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

modernsparkler

Brilliant_Rock
I am so happy I am not the only one who limits ring wearing in any activity that may be dangerous! I take off my ring and ALWAYS put it in its box for sleeping, showering, dishes, even when I have to reach my hands into the washer/dryer, and the gym. It is the Imperial Crown from Jack Kelege and even though all of the small side diamonds are prong set, I just try to be extra careful since I plan to wear this baby for 50+ more years!!!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 5:42:32 AM
Author: honey22

Date: 12/18/2008 4:21:37 PM
Author: redrose229

Date: 12/18/2008 2:06:54 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
I always remove my ering and diamond earrings before going to sleep. Since I am meticulous about keeping them clean, I hate the thought of sleeping and possibly (shock/horror) inadvertently touching the diamond.
20.gif
OMG! I hate touching the diamond too! I HATE it when people are like ''Oh that''s such a pretty diamond! How big is it? Can I see it?'' SO I hold my hand out...AND THEY TOUCH IT WITH THEIR OILY FAT FINGERS RIGHT ON THE TABLE! AHHHH!!!!
32.gif
29.gif
32.gif
ME TOO!!!

PSer CONFESION:::: I actually carry a glasses cleaning cloth around in my bag (microfibre cloth designed to clean spectacles etc) and it''s perfect for removing annoying table smudges when someone oggles your diamond
37.gif
Ok, feeling really stoopid now
40.gif

DF is a darling though - he has learnt to hold my hand without smudging my stone now - bless him
9.gif
me too ... I''m always cleaning it with my cloth after people have defiled it with their greasy fingers. I also carry a loupe in my purse. Do I have a problem?
25.gif

Glad that the fi''s learn quickly, aren''t we. Mine will say, if he''s touched it by accident ... oops, I touched the diamond. Too cute.

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
I clean my ring at least once a day before leaving the house, and I do touch-ups throughout the day with those eyeglass cleaners, too! It is part of my morning routine; shower, hair, makeup, hand lotion (which I put on the back of my hand only, not the fingers/ring) and then I take the little brush, dip it in the cleaner, and give the ring a quick clean and rinse. Once a weel or so I put it in the ultrasonic cleaner. I don''t have any pave, my sidestones are all channel set. I did this on purpose because I wanted to be able to wear my ring as much as possible without having to be afraid of losing a stone.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I wear my rings when I go out of the house or when we have company... all other times they are in the box
1.gif

Idealistic

Shiny_Rock
I don''t wear my ring at home at all. The only time I wear is when I''m out and about.

Idealistic

Shiny_Rock
I don''t wear my ring at home at all. The only time I wear is when I''m out and about.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I don''t wear mind when I am asleep, working out, playing sport, at home (except when I feel like making rainbows on my walls) I essentially only wear it when I am going out.

Reason I don''t wear it that often is that I am freaked as hell of damaging it, I adore my ring and I want it to last a lifetime.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
i used to sleep with it on when I first got it, then stopped because my fingers swell at night. I take it off when i shower or put on lotion. It''s on for pretty much everything else. Usually leave it on when I clean because I always wear gloves.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I sleep with my ring on! Sometimes, though, I take it off in the middle of the night. (I like to put my hand under my pillow!) It''s like a security blanket... I feel so naked without it. It just makes me feel like I''m connected to FI -- kind of like he''s holding my hand. Cheesy, I know!!!
41.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
The only times I take my ring off are when I clean it and when I''m kneading bread dough. I guess I''m lucky that I don''t have problems with my fingers swelling or the prongs scratching me...I''m horrible about remembering to put jewelry on in the mornings, so if I had to take my ring off, it would never get worn! I''m glad I don''t have a e-ring that needs much coddling, and my wedding band will be plain platinum -- I plan never to take it off.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
All my jewelry comes off the moment i get home. I''m just not comfortable wearing it at home. Besides, I always think I''ll break/bend, or lose something if I''m doing housework.

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
I wear my e-ring all the time except for when I shower and clean the kitties litter boxes (just in case! LOL) and any other kind of cleaning or 'labor' task OR messy task (such as cooking/baking). If I actually went to the gym (a total waste of a year's membership because I never did go..LOL), I would probably have taken it off. I definitely sleep in it and do most everything else with it on, but what's funny is that as I type this, I'm NOT wearing it, as I got out of the shower a while ago and didn't put it back on. Honestly? My finger feels really naked without it. Sometimes I'll realize I'm not wearing it when I've just gotten into my car and I'll run all the way back into the house and upstairs to get it...with the car running. :) I just don't feel right without it!! I'm sure that once I've got my WB to go with it, the e-ring may stay at home more often, but I just really like having a ring on that finger. :) And, like someone else mentioned, I'm no good with remembering to put jewelry on in the morning, so if I wasn't already wearing it, I'd probably forget all the time!

As for what someone else said about why they don't wear it while showering - I've accidentally worn it a few times and it gets caught in my loofah, yes, but WORSE is when I'm trying to wash my hair and the prongs yank at my hair and get caught! UGH!

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/20/2008 4:59:55 PM
Author: Bliss
I sleep with my ring on! Sometimes, though, I take it off in the middle of the night. (I like to put my hand under my pillow!) It''s like a security blanket... I feel so naked without it. It just makes me feel like I''m connected to FI -- kind of like he''s holding my hand. Cheesy, I know!!!
41.gif
I think that is the sweetest! I wear mine to bed sometimes too, but my fingers swell at night sometimes and it hurts!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2008 5:37:19 PM
Author: JerseyGrl81

Date: 12/20/2008 4:59:55 PM
Author: Bliss
41.gif
I think that is the sweetest! I wear mine to bed sometimes too, but my fingers swell at night sometimes and it hurts!
Me, too! You two are a beautiful couple, btw! I wonder if we''ll stop sleeping with our e-rings on when we''re a lot older? I don''t think there will ever be a time I won''t want to wear my e-ring! It''s like my blanky!

LinusBlanky.gif

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
I take mine off when I shower or handle chemicals. Also when I swim, and sometims when I work out.

My husband gets very upset when it isn''t on, and it always dissolves into, "well I NEVER take MINE off". Yes, well, yours does not have any stones in it.
38.gif
Oy.

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
My ering comes off my finger as soon as I come home. It goes right into my jewelery box in its own safe spot. I also don''t usually wear it on the weekends unless we are going out somewhere. Also I take it off when I work out, shower, wash my hands, clean the house, or cook. My FI used to get miffed about it, but then he understands how picky I am about my ring...and he gets it now. He now just shakes his head and laughs. :) It was funny b/c I took my ring to get cleaned today at the jeweler before we go home for Christmas and they laughed at me because to them it wasn''t really dirty. (I have an Ultrasonic at home too) ....they said I would be disgusted most likely by what some people do with their rings!!

I guess I''m picky...but hey aren''t most of us here on PS??

31.gif
Merry Christmas everyone!

:)ILE

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I wear my rings all the time except when doing dishes/cleaning, showering, and working out.

moogle

Rough_Rock
I also remove my ring when I get home. I don''t think I''d sleep with it on, I''d probably end up scratching myself with it during the night.
9.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2008 11:37:01 PM
Author: Tuckins1
Yes, I wear my rings all the time except when doing dishes/cleaning, showering, and working out.

Afterthought- My hubby also wears his all the time, except in the shower. He says that it''s a part of him now, and he actually freaks out a little if he (god forbid) forgets to put it on after showering and leaves the house without it! My ring''s prongs are very thick and kind of rounded on top, so it''s almost impossible to scratch myself or anyone. I too am very anal about cleaning my ring, and I HATE it when I see a big smudge right across the table!!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 1:03:28 PM
Author: Pandora II
Diamonds may be hard, but they are not that tough (Jade is a LOT tougher, even though it is quite soft). They also have perfect cleavage. Hit it in the wrong place and you may well end up with two diamonds! Diamonds can also chip without a huge amount of difficulty.

No setting should be worn 24/7. Sleeping in your rings can cause the prongs to catch on the sheets and start to lift a little - next thing you know, the stone has worked loose and fallen out somewhere.

Delicate settings - especially with pave - run the risk of getting bashed out of shape and loosing stones.

If you wear a ring all the time, the stone will get very dirty - and even if you clean them with a US, it''s not a great idea to do it every day or to put a ring with pave in a US.

I wear my e-ring when I go out or if we have people over and I''m not doing major cooking or anything. At home it goes in it''s box along with my w-band. I also have a small box in my bag in case I am carrying heavy shopping or something (picking up heavy bags/suitcases is an easy way to bend your ring and risk losing stones).
Could not agree more!Jewelry is not indistructable...should come off when you sleep,shower,around chemicals(and hairspray & makeup) and heavy work...precious metals and gem stones need proper care and feeding...prongs are worn down and pulled back,gems chipped and scratched,chain links are stretched out and high polished surfaces are dulled when jewelry is not properly cared for....you would not sleep,shower or do lawn work in a silk evening gown...treat jewelry(especially pearls,turquiose,opals,emeralds ect)with the same respect as other valuables.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I wear mine most of the time and ALWAYS when I go out of the house! I love wearing it, but it''s a garnet center stone and pave set on the sides so I don''t want to be too rough with it. I hate going out in public without it, I always seem to have some guy strike up a conversation with me because they can''t see I''m taken- that''s one of my favourite things about being married!! The obvious symbol of attached-ness is right there for people to see. It makes me feel loved and lucky and think about Wifey all day long when I stare at it!

debzy103

Shiny_Rock
I wear my ring out of the house, but basically take it off as soon as I get home. I''d rather not chance it getting banged up or damaged at home. And the only jewelry I sleep in is my earrings anyway, so it would definitely come off before bedtime anyway. The longer you''re wearing your ring, you''ll see you get into certain habits.

I went on a cruise a few weeks ago and most of the time my ring was locked in the safe in our room. I basically only wore it at night - to dinner, the show. Then it''d go in the safe until the next night''s dinner. i didn''t want to risk wearing it on the islands in the Caribbean or swimming or anything. By the end of the cruise I missed wearing my ring so much!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I always wear mine out of the house, but when I get home it goes it''s special ring dish. I also usually take it off when washing my hands at work (I am a Foods teacher, so I''m always washing my hands) but sometimes I get nervous I will lose it in my classroom so I leave it on.

I never wear it to bed, shower or swimming, I went on a cruise this summer right after we were engaged but I kept it in the safe when at the pool, it only came out when we were going out at night or if I was sure I wasn''t stopping by the pool.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 5:39:42 PM
Author: poshpepper
I wear my rings when I go out of the house or when we have company... all other times they are in the box
1.gif
ditto--I also don''t wear them shopping--they get in the way.

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
I usually take my ring off at night, but not always. The reasoning is because sometimes my fingers swell up and it is just uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results