shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own a gun? What kind? What do you use it for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I happen to enjoy shooting (target practice), and I am currently waiting for my application to go through for my conceal carry permit (takes 90 days here). I have friends in the military and law enforcement, and FI really enjoys it too, but I've been around guns for the most part since I was little.

I now own my own pistol, a Sig P239 9mm. It's my only one right now. I had plans to get a Kahr I really loved, but it was a 9mm also, so I may look for it in a 40 now. They're getting hard to find right now though, so we'll see. Next up on my list is a Ruger revolver I've had my eye on (hehe the wallet's got to get a little fatter first
2.gif
).

FI owns a Smith and Wesson 40, and recently got a Sig P229 40. Haha, he loves his Sig. Next on his list is a shotgun he's wanted since he was little, but I can't remember what exactly.

I've always liked BB guns.
5.gif
And we shot a 22 in the conceal carry class, and that was actually really pleasant.

Anyway, as I stated above, we only use them for target practice right now. But I do plan to carry one once I get my permit. Not everywhere, but anywhere I feel the need, now that I'm educated on all the laws and am starting to get some practice with my own gun.

So do you own a gun(s)? What kind? Is it for work, play, or protection? I think it's an interesting topic, since I've read that quite a few of you on here carry guns by choice or have them with your job. I read that many of you are expert marksmen or instructors too.

(Note: This is purely a conversational and learning thread. Please, no judgements/arguments about gun laws, ownership, etc.)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We own a .45mm XD hand gun. FI also has a WWII era Mosen Nagant (sp?), which is a Russian rifle. When we go to the range I usually rent a .22mm pistol because the kick from the XD is pretty bad.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
double post.

OMG

Rough_Rock
style="WIDTH: 89.8%; HEIGHT: 72px">Date: 3/3/2009 4:13:27 PM
Author:luvthemstrawberries

Anyway, as I stated above, we only use them for target practice right now. But I do plan to carry one once I get my permit. Not everywhere, but anywhere I feel the need, now that I''m educated on all the laws and am starting to get some practice with my own gun.

Excuse my ignorance......but where do you live that you can carry a gun if you want to? I live in Canada (Toronto) and the only people who carry guns around here are cops and people who drive armored trucks.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Certain occupations (other than police) can carry concealed weapons. Fi used to deliver court documents to people and he had a carry permit. He also had a permit when he worked in construction (he often had expensive tools etc with him in bad areas). Anyone can apply for a carry permit, but whether you''re granted it is another story. Different states have different laws. We have our handgun for home safety and target practice. FI and I don''t carry it around for fun or on a daily basis. It stays in the safe next to the bed and only comes out if we''re going to the range or if we have an intruder. FI and I both have licenses to handle and purchase guns.

Berries-why do you feel the need to carry a concealed weapon on a daily basis (or when you feel the need)?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in Rhode Island

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I have a hot glue gun I use for arts and crafts.
9.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Former owner of a Walther PPK and a S&W Model 637 Chief’s Special Airweight .38. Current owner of a Keltec P11 9mm.

I carried a concealed weapon for 13 years here in LA (unpermitted). My feeling was that it wasn''t going to get pulled out unless my life was in danger, and it only get''s pulled to fire, ergo I''ll shoot first and answer questions later.

Now I''m older and I just don''t bother.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I don't own one. My temper is slow to anger but when it boils, it's probably not a good idea to have a gun anywhere near me!
11.gif

My brother is a cop so we had a gun in the house for years. It made me nervous.

But I did go to a shooting range years ago and admit that was pretty fun. Talk about stress relief!!

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
We own two. A Mossberg shotgun (closely resembles their 500 J.I.C Cruiser) that we use for target practice (I switch between bird and double-ought buck shot) and have for home protection.
We also have a 9mm, a Beretta PX4 Storm. I use it a lot for target practice and I love it because it''s comfortable in my small hands, it has a rotating barrel for accuracy and durability, and field stripping and cleaning it it is practically fool proof.
HH, I really like shooting .22s. They are so comfortable and I can usually get a nice little grouping with them.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
There seem to be certain states that have permits to carry concealed weapons. I didn''t know that till about a week ago. A guy I work with has one in the state of . . . hmm. . . Florida maybe? He lives in IL though and IL doesn''t have that type of permit. He keeps hoping. . . and I keep wondering why he feels the need to carry concealed??

My FI has guns. I have no clue what type. But he''s an avid hunter. So he has a case full of them! I don''t have one personally. But I have shot guns. Growing up as a farmer''s daughter and all. . . we''d shoot aluminum cans in the river. . . "green" I know!
20.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:42:54 PM
Author: PaulaW
We own two. A Mossberg shotgun (closely resembles their 500 J.I.C Cruiser) that we use for target practice (I switch between bird and double-ought buck shot) and have for home protection.

We also have a 9mm, a Beretta PX4 Storm. I use it a lot for target practice and I love it because it''s comfortable in my small hands, it has a rotating barrel for accuracy and durability, and field stripping and cleaning it it is practically fool proof.

HH, I really like shooting .22s. They are so comfortable and I can usually get a nice little grouping with them.

Yea, I have little hands and not a lot of upper body strength, so it''s nice to have something I can manage.

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
I don't usually post in these parts, but this one got my interest.

I have a .40 Taurus and DH has a .45 Ruger. DH also does reloading as a hobby.
I would like to get a .45 Kimber Ultra-Carry, someday...

We use ours to go target shooting at the range, but they were also purchased for home security purposes.

And Strawberries, we have Concealed Carry in MO too...

Kat

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:37:29 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Former owner of a Walther PPK and a S&W Model 637 Chief’s Special Airweight .38. Current owner of a Keltec P11 9mm.

I carried a concealed weapon for 13 years here in LA (unpermitted). My feeling was that it wasn't going to get pulled out unless my life was in danger, and it only get's pulled to fire, ergo I'll shoot first and answer questions later.

Now I'm older and I just don't bother.

Pear-my Keltec 9mm is currently my carry gun, nothing wonderful to shoot-but is compact enough!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:46:03 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
There seem to be certain states that have permits to carry concealed weapons. I didn''t know that till about a week ago. A guy I work with has one in the state of . . . hmm. . . Florida maybe? He lives in IL though and IL doesn''t have that type of permit. He keeps hoping. . . and I keep wondering why he feels the need to carry concealed??

My FI has guns. I have no clue what type. But he''s an avid hunter. So he has a case full of them! I don''t have one personally. But I have shot guns. Growing up as a farmer''s daughter and all. . . we''d shoot aluminum cans in the river. . . ''green'' I know!
20.gif

My brother in law is a gun junkie (seriously, he owns 5 mausers)and he feels the need to have a FL carry permit ''just cause he can...'' even though he lives in NJ. We are in no way gun nuts and we both believe in regulatory oversight pertaining to background/psych evals prior to licensing and purchasing any gun, hand gun or otherwise.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
a few less than last week

different ones

they make my apartment smell good

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:26:41 PM
Author: OMG

Excuse my ignorance......but where do you live that you can carry a gun if you want to? I live in Canada (Toronto) and the only people who carry guns around here are cops and people who drive armored trucks.
No ignorance at all, no worries! I live in North Carolina. You have to go through a series of steps for it, including a conceal carry course, application, almost $200 in fees for the course and application. The application includes background checks and basically they check you on everything. Once you have a conceal carry permit, you no longer have to have pistol permits to buy a gun. Before, you had to have a pistol permit for each gun, and there was a limit to the number you could get in a certain time period (I think that limit prolbably still applies with the conceal carry).

The laws go by state - some states have permits for it, some don't. This is the website for ours: http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enforcement/cle_handguns.jsp

You don't technically have to have a conceal carry permit. You can openlcarry if you so choose - which is allowed in most states. But this way it can be carried in your car, or if you're walking down a downtown street and don't want to advertise the fact that you have a gun (which is usually smart
2.gif
).

This website gives a lot of good info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry_in_the_United_States

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
i used to have quite a few shooters-class 3 & regular guns-this is one of my favorites-only one of 50 ever produced-called the [hammer]-made from a benelli shotgun with a 10" barrel-12 gauge-holds 3 rounds & fires auto. the sights have been removed so one must know this weapon to aim properly-a very fun item & a conversation peice-a federally licensed item-lots of fun...

m7621.JPG

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 5:17:26 PM
Author: strmrdr

different ones

I''m picturing you getting up in the a.m. in your jammies, stretching your arms overhead, looking around, taking a few deep sniffs, then saying with a satisfied grin...."Mmmmmmm, I love the smell of Hoppe''s No. 9 in the morning"
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 5:55:32 PM

different ones

I''m picturing you getting up in the a.m. in your jammies, stretching your arms overhead, looking around, taking a few deep sniffs, then saying with a satisfied grin....''Mmmmmmm, I love the smell of Hoppe''s No. 9 in the morning''
9.gif
Really? *I''M* wondering what strm''s apartment smells like without the guns!!!
23.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 5:55:32 PM

different ones

I''m picturing you getting up in the a.m. in your jammies, stretching your arms overhead, looking around, taking a few deep sniffs, then saying with a satisfied grin....''Mmmmmmm, I love the smell of Hoppe''s No. 9 in the morning''
9.gif
Oh my GOSH that made me LAUGH HARD
9.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:31:01 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Certain occupations (other than police) can carry concealed weapons. Fi used to deliver court documents to people and he had a carry permit. He also had a permit when he worked in construction (he often had expensive tools etc with him in bad areas). Anyone can apply for a carry permit, but whether you''re granted it is another story. Different states have different laws. We have our handgun for home safety and target practice. FI and I don''t carry it around for fun or on a daily basis. It stays in the safe next to the bed and only comes out if we''re going to the range or if we have an intruder. FI and I both have licenses to handle and purchase guns.

Berries-why do you feel the need to carry a concealed weapon on a daily basis (or when you feel the need)?
I don''t necessarily feel the need to carry a gun on a daily basis. We''ve applied for our conceal carry permits, for one thing so that we don''t have to apply for any more pistol permits in the future. But I got the permit so I could be prepared and have a weapon when I found myself in a situation where I felt I need some protection.

I work downtown and would probably carry it on my several-block walk to work. There are situations at work where I have to get the staff car for a trip, and park it by myself at night in an excluded parking lot. However, since I work for a government agency, I''m not allowed to have a weapon on govt property, including the staff cars or parking lot.

I mainly plan to probably keep it in my vehicle and have it when I find myself in a situation where I feel protection would be beneficial. I''m not paranoid, but you hear so many things... one about a girl who got kidnapped from a Target parking lot in broad daylight... I know a woman personally who was kidnapped from a WalMart parking lot in broad daylight. I''m very wary while walking back and forth to work about turning my e-ring over, or making sure my hand is in my pocket. I just like to be really safe, and I''d rather be protected and not need it than find myself in a situation where I need extra protection and don''t have it. Self defense class is on my list of things to do soon. I think about things like the fact that people could SO easily know my schedule just by watching me every day.

I also took the class to learn the gun laws - it was really beneficial. I''m now pretty educated on self defense in the home and what will be ruled self defense or not. It''s surprising what you''re not ''allowed'' to do to an intruder in your own home. (''allowed'' being the key word... FI and I already have a pact that we will do whatever is necessary to protect ourselves and our family when our lives/safety are threatened.)

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:37:05 PM
Author: tlh
I have a hot glue gun I use for arts and crafts.
9.gif
Hehe tlh you make me laugh.
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
like MC would say...drama thread!!
31.gif

anyway, i own a 9 mm,if i had to i would use it to shoot criminals.

and....i say no to gun control til all the criminals turn in their guns.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:37:29 PM

I carried a concealed weapon for 13 years here in LA (unpermitted). My feeling was that it wasn''t going to get pulled out unless my life was in danger, and it only get''s pulled to fire, ergo I''ll shoot first and answer questions later.

Now I''m older and I just don''t bother.
Hehe FI wanted me to get a Walther because that''s what James Bond carried.
3.gif

The shoot first and questions later is our philosophy when it comes to the laws that don''t allow us to protect ourselves in a situation. There aren''t many, but some are nit picky about it. Yes it is the law, but I will never stand by and not pull my gun just because the law says I''m not supposed to, if our lives are threatened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:42:42 PM
Author: TravelingGal
No, I don''t own one. My temper is slow to anger but when it boils, it''s probably not a good idea to have a gun anywhere near me!
11.gif

My brother is a cop so we had a gun in the house for years. It made me nervous.

But I did go to a shooting range years ago and admit that was pretty fun. Talk about stress relief!!
Yes it is very good stress relief!!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:42:54 PM
Author: PaulaW
I think Mossberg is the brand FI wants. Little side note: the instructor for our conceal carry course had done a study when he worked with a weapons firm, and it was AMAZING to hear all the calibers of ammo that actually will bust straight through an apartment wall (or even a house wall) and into someone else''s home. Even most shotgun ammo will do it. There were only limited sizes that were good for protection and not dangerous for neighbors.

You talked about the Beretta being comfortable in your hand - that''s the reason I got my Sig P239 - it''s a subcompact, and it fits my hand PERFECTLY.
9.gif

I like shooting 22s also - very comfortable. In the conceal carry course, he was amazed at the grouping I had with it. I hadn''t shot one in a long time - it was really pleasant.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guns in general terrify the crap out of me, so I''d be the last one in the world who should have one. I''d probably accidentally kill someone/something/ or myself. What''s weird is I grew up in a household full of guns, mostly rifles. The most I personally have ever been able to manage (my hands sweat just talking about guns LOL), is a bb-gun my husband has from when he was a kid. We shoot it at targets in the backyard sometimes, and I find that pretty fun. I can see how target practice would be a stress reliever for some (not me!). Whole other league here.
3.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:46:03 PM
Author: hoofbeats95

My FI has guns. I have no clue what type. But he''s an avid hunter. So he has a case full of them! I don''t have one personally. But I have shot guns. Growing up as a farmer''s daughter and all. . . we''d shoot aluminum cans in the river. . . ''green'' I know!
20.gif
Hehe we shot tin cans on the tree stumps and fence posts at my uncle''s and grandpa''s houses.
9.gif

And we shot paper targets against the trees in the woods next to my parent''s house with our BB guns in the city limits (subdivision) when I was little.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:47:49 PM
Author: got2goldens
I don''t usually post in these parts, but this one got my interest.

I have a .40 Taurus and DH has a .45 Ruger. DH also does reloading as a hobby.
I would like to get a .45 Kimber Ultra-Carry, someday...

We use ours to go target shooting at the range, but they were also purchased for home security purposes.

And Strawberries, we have Concealed Carry in MO too...

Kat
Yeah Missouri is one of the states that has reciprocity with North Carolina - we can conceal carry in each other''s state with our own state''s permit.

FI and his friend in the army are SOOOO wanting to get into reloading. They''ve done so much research. It''s just a lot of money to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results