shape
carat
color
clarity

do you notice newbies don''t post on hangout? wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 7:40:27 PM
Author: jjc
Hi, I''m a newbie
35.gif

I read a lot of threads in Hangout, but most of the time they sound like conversations between really good friends, so I don''t post because it might seem weird? Like a stranger who randomly butts into a conversation you''re having with a friend - which, I guess I''ve just done. Oops
4.gif
But it''s always fun just to read
1.gif

Same here. :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny DF, now you got them all out!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 10:13:04 PM
Author: Deelight
I think that sometimes newbies feel intimidated - either that or they are really focused on the ring and then leave.
why?
33.gif
some of us aren''t liberals
rotflmao2.gif

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:32:28 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Date: 3/26/2009 10:27:10 PM

Author: Dancing Fire

Hi, I''m a newbie
35.gif

I read a lot of threads in Hangout, but most of the time they sound like conversations between really good friends, so I don''t post because it might seem weird? Like a stranger who randomly butts into a conversation you''re having with a friend - which, I guess I''ve just done. Oops
4.gif
1.gif
i don''t have any good friends here,only good enemies.
16.gif
Don''t let him fool you, he''s got a big fan base here.
1.gif

jjc,

I look forward to getting to know you. We are a nice bunch for the most part!!!!
9.gif
35.gif

Hi Kaleigh! Thank you, I am so looking forward to getting to know you too!!
21.gif

DF - You know you are loved here! But I will indulge you...yes, you have so many enemies here
2.gif

and to my fellow newbies - I''m so glad to know I''m not the only one that feels like this!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:09:01 PM

Hi, I''m a newbie
35.gif

4.gif
1.gif
16.gif
1.gif

jjc,

I look forward to getting to know you. We are a nice bunch for the most part!!!!
9.gif
35.gif

21.gif

DF - You know you are loved here! But I will indulge you...yes, you have so many enemies here
2.gif

and to my fellow newbies - I''m so glad to know I''m not the only one that feels like this!
9.gif
We were all newbies at some point or other. Glad to see many of you joining in the fun!!!!
35.gif
The more the merrier. And the more we can tease DF. He loves it!!!!
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

21.gif

2.gif

9.gif
jjc
we talk to everybody here.just keep in mind there are a few
nuts.gif
37.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:21:30 PM

21.gif

2.gif

9.gif
jjc

nuts.gif
37.gif

I''ll say
25.gif

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:23:31 PM
Date: 3/26/2009 9:33:33 PM

Author: equestrienne

DF- I get more of a response to posts I make in LIW. I lurk more than I post currently. When I browse many threads, people usually have already said what I was thinking in their posts.
2.gif
I don''t have many nice jewelry pieces or projects to share and I am not having a kid/parenting, planning a wedding, contemplating a purchase, or looking for advice. I feel like a wallflower PSer, LOL.
Deb said...i''m not allowed to post on LIW.
9.gif
There''s a reason for that.
2.gif
Poor girls won''t run from their computers if you''re keepin'' your creepin'' over here.

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:21:30 PM

21.gif

2.gif

9.gif
jjc
nuts.gif
37.gif
LOL- That''s for sure!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are still on a mission -- they haven''t yet slowed down long enough to be captivated by the Hangout''s siren song.

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 7:45:08 PM
Author: packrat

Welcome jjc! It''s hard to feel like the new kid on the playground wondering if you can join in the game all the cool kids are playing.

Thank you, packrat!
1.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
<--- n0000b.

I <3 hangout.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love meeting new people, I get sad when some of the newbs don''t stay. And I''m almost surprised by some of the posters on here who descible themselves as wallflowers are ones whose posts I do make a point of reading!

I didn''t post on here for the longest time myself because well, it seemed like the lounge or the park or the plaza and I was too project focused to want to lounge. I guess I assumed other newer members felt the same.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first joined, it took me a while to get to 'Hangout' because that option wasn't there on the drop down 'Forum' menu. I once clicked on 'Forum' by mistake, and discovered 'Hangout' (and then there was light
9.gif
)

Just fabulous. More forums to spend (/waste
3.gif
) time!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 8:45:56 PM
Author: sammyj

Date: 3/26/2009 8:13:47 PM
Author: TheBigT
I''m not such a newbie and I still feel like most hangout posts are conversations between really good friends. I also feel weird sometimes posting on hangout threads...or just like no one''s gonna read what I write anyway.

2.gif
I couldn''t agree more, TheBigT!
My sentiments exactly. I''ve decided to be a little more adventurous recently, so I hope I''m not boring/annoying people with my posts
5.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 10:46:55 PM
Author: AprilBaby
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Ditto!

Well done, DF!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 7:45:43 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 3/26/2009 7:30:02 PM
Author: HollyS
I think maybe most newbies are developing online relationships to people with whom they share a common bond -- usually the jewelry/diamond posters.

Just off the top of my head, I''d say about 35, maybe 40% stay around and post on all of PS after they are engaged, married, whatever. Others got what they needed and left.
.000000000000001% of guys stay
The rest are drive by posters
This place is drowning in estrogen.
maybe we need a car talk and a gun talk forum :}

newbie>Which shotgun goes best with this tux and what size shot is needed to stop a fleeing Honda?

kewl dude> We need pix of the shotguns!!
neenerneenerguy.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi, I''m a newbie
35.gif

4.gif
1.gif
16.gif
1.gif

jjc,
9.gif
35.gif
Naaahhh, I don''t like DF!!
2.gif
9.gif

ONLY KIDDING!! I''m def one of DF''s biggest fans!!
9.gif
9.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 6:23:02 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 3/26/2009 7:45:43 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 3/26/2009 7:30:02 PM
Author: HollyS
I think maybe most newbies are developing online relationships to people with whom they share a common bond -- usually the jewelry/diamond posters.

Just off the top of my head, I''d say about 35, maybe 40% stay around and post on all of PS after they are engaged, married, whatever. Others got what they needed and left.
.000000000000001% of guys stay
The rest are drive by posters
This place is drowning in estrogen.
maybe we need a car talk and a gun talk forum :}

newbie>Which shotgun goes best with this tux and what size shot is needed to stop a fleeing Honda?

kewl dude> We need pix of the shotguns!!
neenerneenerguy.gif
GIRL POWER, YAY!!
36.gif
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m really sad to hear that some new members don''t feel comfortable joining in with threads. I love hearing lots of different points of view.

I think if you are used to ''chatting'' online its easier to start talking to people. If you aren''t I can imagine it can feel scary.

I was a little bit nervous to begin with but now I''m fine. I haven''t stopped talking since!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome to all you newbies! Feel free to jump in anywhere, we don''t mind.
35.gif

I started off posting in Rocky Talk. Don''t think that wasn''t intimidating.
yikes2.gif
Made Hangout look like a piece of cake.
lol.gif

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 6:17:42 AM
Author: Phoenix

Date: 3/26/2009 10:46:55 PM
Author: AprilBaby
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Ditto!

Well done, DF!
36.gif
lol, my thoughts exactly! Hey, meeting new people is always fun!
2.gif

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
It is difficult to jump in when it comes to posting in Hangout.
12.gif
I don't think it's done maliciously, but at times things are posted by long time members and specific details are omitted but implied, and because others were around when the original situation happened it makes sense to them and they respond to the vague post. I've seen people ask for clarification on things like this and were ignored or told it didn't matter what the history was, that they didn't want to discuss the details of the past. It can make us feel like we're not in the 'need to know' group and therefore an outsider of sorts.

Some of us want to participate more, but maybe we're shy or feel unimportant. Both of which would only be exasperated by the relationships that already exist here. JJC said it pretty well. To put it simply, it's hard being the new kid in high school when everyone one else has known each other since grade school.
2.gif

I do wonder, at what post count do you no longer consider someone a newbie?
3.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 8:16:02 AM
Author: girlie-girl
It is difficult to jump in when it comes to posting in Hangout.
12.gif
I don''t think it''s done maliciously, but at times things are posted by long time members and specific details are omitted but implied, and because others were around when the original situation happened it makes sense to them and they respond to the vague post. I''ve seen people ask for clarification on things like this and were ignored or told it didn''t matter what the history was, that they didn''t want to discuss the details of the past. It can make us feel like we''re not in the ''need to know'' group and therefore an outsider of sorts.

Some of us want to participate more, but maybe we''re shy or feel unimportant. Both of which would only be exasperated by the relationships that already exist here. JJC said it pretty well. To put it simply, it''s hard being the new kid in high school when everyone one else has known each other since grade school.
2.gif

I do wonder, at what post count do you no longer consider someone a newbie?
3.gif

TWO.
9.gif

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I'm pretty new to hangout, and I don't post often because I like to get the feel of a place before I jump in and say something stupid :)

My former roommate told me about pricescope in relation to the LIW board, so that's where I started posting, and BWW is where I jumped to after that because of the crazy wedding planning stage. I've started to poke around a bit more, but it's like girlie-girl said - when everyone else knows each other so well, it seems awkward to jump in - even though we want to be "known" too :)

There's my two shiny copper pennies for ya!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think most noobies get hung up in the SMTR/rocky talky/proposal/LIW threads. Then, once they''re thoroughly addicted to PS, they venture into the other threads...

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 7:45:08 PM
Author: packrat

Hi, I''m a newbie
35.gif

4.gif
But it''s always entertaining just to read
1.gif

Welcome jjc! It''s hard to feel like the new kid on the playground wondering if you can join in the game all the cool kids are playing.
True... esp when they are playing DODGEBALL!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 8:27:34 AM
Author: KatyWI
I''m pretty new to hangout, and I don''t post often because I like to get the feel of a place before I jump in and say something stupid :)

My former roommate told me about pricescope in relation to the LIW board, so that''s where I started posting, and BWW is where I jumped to after that because of the crazy wedding planning stage. I''ve started to poke around a bit more, but it''s like girlie-girl said - when everyone else knows each other so well, it seems awkward to jump in - even though we want to be ''known'' too :)

There''s my two shiny copper pennies for ya!
i do it all the time
16.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before there was an LIW forum, Hangout and SMTR was where all of the LiW-centric threads started. Once the LIW forum opened, I think a lot of people who were "project focused" on getting engaged, just sort of stayed there and SMTR.

Welcome to all the new posters! This forum is extremely helpful in a vast number of areas. I don''t know how often we recognize it, but despite diamonds, PS has helped me to plan my quick wedding, my trip to Italy, my next purse/shoe purchase, and given me a recipe or two to try.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results