shape
carat
color
clarity

do you notice newbies don''t post on hangout? wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 7:35:37 PM
Author: Steel

Oh it is Musey, by all means. But I think saying:

''There are lots of threads on this, do a search''

is not a great reply. In fact I can''t think why you* would post such an unhelpful response unless it is to come off in a ''go away, this is my sand-pit'' way (
23.gif
). I stand to be corrected but I feel where the post says something like this

'' Welcome Musey
35.gif
. Ther are lots of threads on (e.g. diamond cluster rings that resemble a stork in flight), just search for storks + cluster. I think (e.g.) Musey#1 had a great stork ring let me check. ETA: Yup here it is linkytocrazystorkring.pricescope.com Or you might be interested in my diamond studs here: steel''searringsthatlooknothinglikeastorkunlessyouareverynearsighted.pricescope.com, they look like birds to me! What do you think?

the OP should be informed and the thread developed.

*ETA: Not directed at the lovely Musey..Mwuah.
I think that would be taking it a bit too personally. I see nothing wrong with "There have been lots of threads on this, if you type in "x" in the search box above in the right hand corner, you''ll find a ton of info."

Perhaps stated in the way you mentioned, it comes across as curt (and obviously could be phrased better), but I personally don''t get people who come into a forum and don''t take the time to do searches.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 10:59:04 PM
Author: TravelingGal

is not a great reply. In fact I can''t think why you* would post such an unhelpful response unless it is to come off in a ''go away, this is my sand-pit'' way (
23.gif

'' Welcome Musey
35.gif
. Ther are lots of threads on (e.g. diamond cluster rings that resemble a stork in flight), just search for storks + cluster. I think (e.g.) Musey#1 had a great stork ring let me check. ETA: Yup here it is linkytocrazystorkring.pricescope.com Or you might be interested in my diamond studs here: steel''searringsthatlooknothinglikeastorkunlessyouareverynearsighted.pricescope.com, they look like birds to me! What do you think?

I think that would be taking it a bit too personally. I see nothing wrong with ''There have been lots of threads on this, if you type in ''x'' in the search box above in the right hand corner, you''ll find a ton of info.''

Perhaps stated in the way you mentioned, it comes across as curt (and obviously could be phrased better), but I personally don''t get people who come into a forum and don''t take the time to do searches.

You know, it really would never occur to me to do searches in a social forum! Maybe in an informational one, but in DH? If I were looking for specific information or advice I might think to do a search (I''m familiar with the process in other online communities) but when I''m just "hanging out" I just like to talk!

So in case I ever start a topic that''s been done to death, I''d prefer to be one of those ignored posters rather than one of the chastised posters, if that''s an option...
7.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 12:14:28 AM
Author: KatyWI

Date: 3/28/2009 10:59:04 PM
Author: TravelingGal

23.gif

'' Welcome Musey
35.gif

I think that would be taking it a bit too personally. I see nothing wrong with ''There have been lots of threads on this, if you type in ''x'' in the search box above in the right hand corner, you''ll find a ton of info.''

You know, it really would never occur to me to do searches in a social forum! Maybe in an informational one, but in DH? If I were looking for specific information or advice I might think to do a search (I''m familiar with the process in other online communities) but when I''m just ''hanging out'' I just like to talk!

So in case I ever start a topic that''s been done to death, I''d prefer to be one of those ignored posters rather than one of the chastised posters, if that''s an option...
7.gif
To clarify Katy, I''m talking mostly informational here (basically Rocky Talky). People come and go so much on PS that even if a topic has been done in hangout before, it''s fun to see what the new responses might be. Obviously I don''t expect people do to searches on "pepsi or coke?" and other just for fun topics.
2.gif

Usually RT is where most PSers tell newbies to do a search.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Got it :)

I don''t think I''ve ever posted in RT! I glance through it sometimes, and recently found a few threads that reminded me I should check it out more often! But mostly it just makes me wish I had more money for the jewelry fund.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Concerning RT, I sometimes tell a new poster to try a search if their query is a very basic one and the info is readily available either in the knowledge section or the archives, if I have time I will link for them so it depends - I do try to offer them some help to start them off in any case.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 8:35:12 AM
Author: Lorelei
Concerning RT, I sometimes tell a new poster to try a search if their query is a very basic one and the info is readily available either in the knowledge section or the archives, if I have time I will link for them so it depends - I do try to offer them some help to start them off in any case.

Ditto, I have been guilty of telling people they can/how to do a search for info it in RT, If it is SMTR I try to make the effort to link them to some previous threads as a springboard to their searches and research - I don''t mean it snarkily though and I hope it never came across that way.

Lozza YAY your avatar is back now my head can stop from ''spolding
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results