shape
carat
color
clarity

do you notice newbies don''t post on hangout? wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Honestly, I had no idea it existed--for at least 6 months after I joined. I got a clue b/c Mara kept mentioning "hangout" and I began to navigate the board.

cheers--Sharon

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 11:39:06 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Honestly, I had no idea it existed--for at least 6 months after I joined. I got a clue b/c Mara kept mentioning ''hangout'' and I began to navigate the board.

cheers--Sharon
Second that. I had never scrolled low enough to get past the first two sections... then I kept hearing about a "Cupcake" thread, and I had to find out where it was.
18.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 11:47:32 AM
Author: meresal
Second that. I had never scrolled low enough to get past the first two sections... then I kept hearing about a ''Cupcake'' thread, and I had to find out where it was.
18.gif
Ha ha!!! I''m a newbie and I just found the "Cupcake" thread yesterday and I spent waaaaay tooooo looooong looking at it! YUMMO!
18.gif

I agree with what many others have already said...I started out at RT and was pretty focused on my project. Then my project got put "on hold" but I was already hooked so I started venturing out.

jjc really summed it up well for us newbies. It can be really intimidating...everyone already knows each other so well! It is also a little scary posting on "heated" threads, escpecially when your opinion differs somewhat from the majority. YIKES! But, I guess I''m a little daring and I''m jumping in where I can.
31.gif

I must say I was really, really excited when I reached my 100th post and became a "Cut Rock"! I''m hooked and I can''t wait to get to know everyone better!
9.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I wonder what constitutes a newbie: number of posts or length of time.

I finished discovering all of the sections of PS maybe three months ago
32.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 6:34:39 AM
Author: Maisie
I''m really sad to hear that some new members don''t feel comfortable joining in with threads. I love hearing lots of different points of view.

I think if you are used to ''chatting'' online its easier to start talking to people. If you aren''t I can imagine it can feel scary.

I was a little bit nervous to begin with but now I''m fine. I haven''t stopped talking since!

I feel the same. It took me a while to be comfortable posting in hangout, now I can''t stop!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 8:45:56 PM
Author: sammyj
Date: 3/26/2009 8:13:47 PM

Author: TheBigT

I''m not such a newbie and I still feel like most hangout posts are conversations between really good friends. I also feel weird sometimes posting on hangout threads...or just like no one''s gonna read what I write anyway.

2.gif

I couldn''t agree more, TheBigT!

Haha I''m with you guys! It doesn''t bother me though.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:12:39 PM
Author: Elmorton
I think it''s because every time a newbie finds hangout and posts what they think is a fun, interesting question, we all jump in to post links that look something like this:

Hi, glad you could join us, we talked about this last week - here ya go:

www.pricescope.com/idealbb/youreasillyheadgobacktowhereyoucamefrom1243885

Use the search function. Thanks!!

2.gif
OMG LOL

This happened to me so many times and I see it happening a lot also. I started a thread once in hangout a while ago and got the same response. I was e-embarrassed.

courtney5638

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 7:40:27 PM
Author: jjc
Hi, I''m a newbie
35.gif

I read a lot of threads in Hangout, but most of the time they sound like conversations between really good friends, so I don''t post because it might seem weird? Like a stranger who randomly butts into a conversation you''re having with a friend - which, I guess I''ve just done. Oops
4.gif
But it''s always fun just to read
1.gif
I definitely agree with jjc. I usually post(well, mostly lurk
2.gif
) in BWW, but recently discovered Hangout. I read a lot of the threads, but sometimes I just don''t feel qualified to comment, it all depends.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I think it's because every time a newbie finds hangout and posts what they think is a fun, interesting question, we all jump in to post links that look something like this:

2.gif
LOL true true true true

ETA: That and I find my Hangout threads fall to the bottom of the line real quick
39.gif
Whereas my other ones (LIW typically) stay hot for awhile
36.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I think I was a member of this site for a year or so before I really started posting in DH. I wasn''t intimidated or anything, it just wasn''t on my PS radar because the name of the thread threw me. I used FHH as my social outlet, and I figured DH was just more diamond chat....little did I know! But now that I do, DH is by far my favorite!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JJC and some of the others summed up my feelings pretty well - the new kid trying to get into the conversation, others (most often Deco) have said what I''d have said, etc., or my opinion would run counter to the prevailing tide, so I tend to post only on things where I think I have some specific knowledge. Plus I''m a west coaster so by the time I get around to posting, many people have toddled off.

And this is going to sound really stupid, but I hadn''t taken the time to figure out how to upload an avatar so I felt kind of generic. Thanks to Neatfreak who recently posted the instructions for resizing on a Mac so voila! It''s a brand new me (or at least my dog).

fuzzypill

Rough_Rock
Agree with jjc. I joined pricescope quite a while ago and have stayed on to lurk, mostly for the sparklies and new jewelry ideas. However, I''m quite a wallflower and internet "shy" so I choose not to post unless something really moves me.

I think the regulars have no idea how many "newbies" or lurkers follow your conversations. I personally find them really informative and entertaining!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 7:47:22 PM
Author: fuzzypill
Agree with jjc. I joined pricescope quite a while ago and have stayed on to lurk, mostly for the sparklies and new jewelry ideas. However, I''m quite a wallflower and internet ''shy'' so I choose not to post unless something really moves me.

I think the regulars have no idea how many ''newbies'' or lurkers follow your conversations. I personally find them really informative and entertaining!
I wish you''d jump in, we have such a great time here.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 8:29:59 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 3/27/2009 7:47:22 PM
Author: fuzzypill
Agree with jjc. I joined pricescope quite a while ago and have stayed on to lurk, mostly for the sparklies and new jewelry ideas. However, I'm quite a wallflower and internet 'shy' so I choose not to post unless something really moves me.

I think the regulars have no idea how many 'newbies' or lurkers follow your conversations. I personally find them really informative and entertaining!
I wish you'd jump in, we have such a great time here.
1.gif
Ditto, everybody should! And you all shouldn't feel like just because your posts don't get directly addressed, that everyone is "ignoring" you. Why, look at all the posts I've got, and I still can't get them all addressed. *sniff*

2.gif

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 8:13:47 PM
Author: TheBigT
I''m not such a newbie and I still feel like most hangout posts are conversations between really good friends. I also feel weird sometimes posting on hangout threads...or just like no one''s gonna read what I write anyway.

2.gif

I agree.

I''m not new-- I''ve been a lurker way before signing up.. but usually the hangout is ab long time members.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I feel like reciting the commercial for the Jetta...I think it was the Jetta....

In life there are drivers and there are passengers...some people just like to watch and not not participate.
9.gif

Then again, it took me a month or so to go from lurker to poster in BWW, and months after that to discover there was even a Hangout.

35.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 3:09:53 PM
Author: Bia

I think it''s because every time a newbie finds hangout and posts what they think is a fun, interesting question, we all jump in to post links that look something like this:

2.gif
LOL true true true true

ETA: That and I find my Hangout threads fall to the bottom of the line real quick
39.gif
36.gif
Agreed!! Nothin'' like the "we don''t want to talk about your topic again" reaction to stop a newbie from posting
1.gif
!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 3:09:53 PM
Author: Bia

2.gif
LOL true true true true

39.gif
36.gif
how you think i feel ?? many of my threads ends in delete or lock.
7.gif
39.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 3:06:10 PM
Author: fieryred33143

2.gif
OMG LOL

This happened to me so many times and I see it happening a lot also. I started a thread once in hangout a while ago and got the same response. I was e-embarrassed.
Ohh thats not nice
7.gif
I use the search function but sometimes its nice to have some up to date thoughts and feelings. There are a lot of new people joining all the time and its nice to hear what they think about something too
1.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It took me a long time to discover hangout... I spent months sifting through all of the info and pics on SMTR and RT, not to mention reading the interesting posts on LIW!

Steel

Ideal_Rock

2.gif
Great point.

This was said to me in a snarky way a few times by a long standing member
20.gif
. It did not come across as being helpful - more like, this is my forum; go away!

Whatever...I didn''t take the hint
35.gif

I have noticed that these days most posts are replied to in some constructive way and usually with linky reference to any older helpful threads. PS is a nicer place these days.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 6:35:05 PM
Author: Steel

2.gif
Great point.

20.gif
. It did not come across as being helpful - more like, this is my forum; go away!

35.gif

I have noticed that these days most posts are replied to in some constructive way and usually with linky reference to any older helpful threads. PS is a nicer place these days.
I hate when that happens. I am sorry Steel. Many times a question has been asked, but could have been a while ago, so why not a new thread. Or at least be nicer in the delivery to the poster... It takes a second to say, hey great question, we just discussed this last week, here is the link to the thread. How hard is that???

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

2.gif
Great point.

20.gif

35.gif

I don''t like snarky-ness. Its unkind and it makes people feel really embarrassed.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 6:52:14 PM
Author: Kaleigh

I think it's because every time a newbie finds hangout and posts what they think is a fun, interesting question, we all jump in to post links that look something like this:

2.gif
Great point.

20.gif

Whatever...I didn't take the hint
35.gif

I hate when that happens. I am sorry Steel. Many times a question has been asked, but could have been a while ago, so why not a new thread. Or at least be nicer in the delivery to the poster... It takes a second to say, hey great question, we just discussed this last week, here is the link to the thread. How hard is that???
Mwuah...Mwuah. Thanks hon!

I have a thick skin and I am glad I stuck around. It is because of this that I try to pop into a newbie's thread if I see it because I like to shake out the welcome rug.

ETA: Yup Maisie, you and me both!

welcomerug.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock

2.gif
Great point.

20.gif

35.gif

I've done this many times (and had it done to me), but I never wrote/read it in such a negative way!! Now I feel bad
7.gif

I just always figure that if someone is curious about the subject, they'd be interested to read whatever other threads have discussed it. That is, unless they're not actually all that curious, they just want to start a chatty thread and/or have people give 'em ego strokes on their "good thread idea"
2.gif
3.gif

Most every topic has been discussed to some degree in the past. With a forum this populated and active, it's inevitable that we'll have repeats. I don't think there's a stitch of harm in re-hashing old topics, but I also think it's helpful/relevant to inform people of the past threads. More information and reading material is always a good thing, right?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 7:15:07 PM
Author: musey

2.gif
Great point.

20.gif

35.gif

I've done this many times (and had it done to me), but I never wrote/read it in such a negative way!! Now I feel bad
7.gif

I just always figure that if someone is curious about the subject, they'd be interested to read whatever other threads have discussed it. That is, unless they're not actually all that curious, they just want to start a chatty thread and/or have people give 'em ego strokes on their 'good thread idea'
2.gif
3.gif

Most every topic has been discussed to some degree in the past. With a forum this populated and active, it's inevitable that we'll have repeats. I don't think there's a stitch of harm in re-hashing old topics, but I also think it's helpful/relevant to inform people of the past threads. More information and reading material is always a good thing, right?
Oh it is Musey, by all means. But I think saying:

"There are lots of threads on this, do a search"

is not a great reply. In fact I can't think why you* would post such an unhelpful response unless it is to come off in a 'go away, this is my sand-pit' way (
23.gif
). I stand to be corrected but I feel where the post says something like this

" Welcome Musey
35.gif
. Ther are lots of threads on (e.g. diamond cluster rings that resemble a stork in flight), just search for storks + cluster. I think (e.g.) Musey#1 had a great stork ring let me check. ETA: Yup here it is linkytocrazystorkring.pricescope.com Or you might be interested in my diamond studs here: steel'searringsthatlooknothinglikeastorkunlessyouareverynearsighted.pricescope.com, they look like birds to me! What do you think?

the OP should be informed and the thread developed.

*ETA: Not directed at the lovely Musey..Mwuah.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I can answer this question, when I was a newbie the only thing I was interested in was the bling
31.gif
now I kinda go everywhere and I have learned so much more about people on pricescope, this is a good place filled with alot of very nice people
5.gif

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I''m a newbie
35.gif

I read a lot of threads in Hangout, but most of the time they sound like conversations between really good friends, so I don''t post because it might seem weird? Like a stranger who randomly butts into a conversation you''re having with a friend - which, I guess I''ve just done. Oops
4.gif
1.gif

I couldn''t have said it better than JCC. I''ve chimed in maybe only once or twice and always kinda felt what JCC just described....

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I''m a newbie
35.gif

4.gif
1.gif

Just wanted to second this... I post a decent amount in LIW I guess, but I know I have something in common with all those ladies! We''re in the same boat. (And it still took me a long time lurking to actually register and post!) Whereas I feel a lot more like a stranger here.

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmmmm.... I think a "De-Lurking Day" thread is in order
27.gif

Now if only I didn''t feel so shy....
20.gif

Sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results