shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have more bracelets or more rings????

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Ok Team!
Huddle up because I’m looking for REAL life answers please and this one is totally subjective and case-by-case I know but I’m just trying to get some input.
Do you have more bracelets or rings?
And why?
The reason I’m asking is I am at the point where I really don’t “need” more of either.
But have the opportunity to purchase one more important one.
Not both.
So if you had to err on the side of more of one type of jewelry, rings or bracelets, which is it?????
TIA!!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Rings all the way! When I think "special piece" I always think of rings first. But I also find a lot of bracelets fiddly or annoying and tend to reserve them for special occasions only.

Rings first.
Earrings second.
Then necklaces.
Then bracelets.

(This is just me!)

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
I have mostly rings...they are less expensive as a rule than bracelets. I have been buying more bracelets lately though. My order of preference is:

Rings
Earrings
Bracelets
Pendants/necklaces

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
This would be an easy one for me—rings! I only own 2 bracelets and they don’t get worn nearly as much as they should. Perhaps they don’t fit properly or it’s sensory but bracelets always seem to get in the way.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think it's a tie actually. In my view one goes with the other so if I have a ring then I NEED [lol] a bracelet.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Rings. Always rings. Easy to admire :) . Next would be earrings, then pendant then bracelet. I do love bracelets but I’m lazy about putting them on.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not counted, however, I suspect I may have more earrings than rings.

DK :))

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another tie here. Going through them off the top of my head, I have around the same number of bracelets & rings!

Only a few necklaces & earrings though.

If you swap out your rings frequently, then buying another ring makes sense: you get more “bang for buck” with rings. If you tend to wear the same LH and RH rings everyday, then a bracelet makes more sense - you can stack them, so the new piece will get more wear.

I would evaluate your collection and see how far are you from completing your “ideal” ring collection or “ideal” bracelet collection; and if the new piece of either category slots into your ideal list or not. Eg if your ideal list contained a tennis bracelet, and you already had one tennis bracelet; and then you had the opportunity to buy another tennis bracelet; would it make sense to buy the second one? Maybe it’s a diff gold colour or a diff caratage (leaning towards yes); but maybe buying that bracelet will make it harder for you to buy a sapphire bracelet for eg, and so you’re delaying “completing” your list. In that sense it may make sense to pass on that new tennis bracelet. If your ideal collections for both are complete, then maybe you need to think of a diff criteria - if both pieces fit gaps in your collection equally well and you’d wear them equally as much; it may just come down to what you like more.

One more consideration - ring size can change. Bracelet sizing is often more forgiving. I can’t wear the same rings in summer and winter. Or maybe you have a kid you want to pass down pieces to - what do they prefer (if you’re truly agnostic)?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok I'm going to be the contrarian! I have more rings. However, since I only wear rings on one finger, I would put my money into a classic 12 carat tennis bracelet versus another spectacular ring (and I know you have at least 2 of those:lol:).

A classic diamond bracelet would go with all of your current rings. Totally subjective, I know.

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
I have more bracelets than rings. Most days I wear a minimum of 5 bracelets/bangles compared to 2 or max 3 rings (3 if I'm going out). Where I live, it is sub tropical, so I find stacking rings to be really uncomfortable.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. Just saw the rest of your questions. I love rings bc there is so much variety and they are relatively less expensive than bracelets. Also. I find them more comfy and easier to swap out. Bracelets seen high-maintenance to me. Being super careful when I wear them can be a drag. But I love each one and each serves a purpose. My everyday bangle. My platinum antique oec is mostly for my collection. My mrb is my bling casual night out. And I have a very romantic vintage vibe one that I wear out on special occasions. I will say that I don’t hesitate to buy rings when I fall in love, but I do hesitate with bracelets bc they are not as comfy to wear.
I put a ban on pendants bc I realize that in the summer, they seem to drag me down.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all!!!
All your input is super valuable and helpful.
I just got wobbly today when I stopped by to see my jewelry guys.
They got this amazing line bracelet in and then I started rethinking Princess Diana (who is in nyc being sized).
I hope im not the only one that gets a little bit of cold feet or FOMO as I get close to closing a big jewelry purchase.
I start thinking things like, “you have too many rings already” or “you always admired that big tennis bracelet of your moms friend growing-up, you should get that” “Princess Diana rings are so three decades ago” “but I will never have an opportunity to buy a honking 6 carat ever again”, etc etc
My process when purchasing seems to be :
1-heart stopping amazement at first sight
2-obsessive love
3-decide to purchase
4-at last minute before I actually pickup the piece, total white-hot panic that leads me to rethink everything
So after some introspection, I realized I’m just going through my process.
This is the 10 carat unheated Australian sapphire diamond platinum bracelet that shook me!!!!!
Correction….still shakes me!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
That bracelet!:love: Sorry, I know I'm not helping!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok. Just saw the rest of your questions. I love rings bc there is so much variety and they are relatively less expensive than bracelets. Also. I find them more comfy and easier to swap out. Bracelets seen high-maintenance to me. Being super careful when I wear them can be a drag. But I love each one and each serves a purpose. My everyday bangle. My platinum antique oec is mostly for my collection. My mrb is my bling casual night out. And I have a very romantic vintage vibe one that I wear out on special occasions. I will say that I don’t hesitate to buy rings when I fall in love, but I do hesitate with bracelets bc they are not as comfy to wear.
I put a ban on pendants bc I realize that in the summer, they seem to drag me down.

@nala , now I must see a link to your OEC bracelet, pretty please. @Efleon sorry to threadjack, but I couldn't find a thread on Nala's OEC bracelet.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
@nala , now I must see a link to your OEC bracelet, pretty please. @Efleon sorry to threadjack, but I couldn't find a thread on Nala's OEC bracelet.

I totally second that request!
Not a thread jack at all.
It would be helpful and save me searching thru all posts by @nala

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
I have a lot of both. Undoubtedly dozens... I honestly couldn't say which I have more of. I have so many & have never really counted.

At one point in my life, I used to always have a bracelet on; except to sleep. Many of my bracelets are gold: white, yellow, two tone. Some are gemstones (ruby, sapphire, garnet,, etc, etc, etc.) ; a couple are diamond, and a couple are CZ in 14K gold. I like CZ for travel.

However in the big picture, I have actually worn rings more. Since I was in grade school, I always have had at least one ring on 24/7: at home, at school, work, going out, sleeping, where ever/whenever.

In addition to rings & bracelets, I also have several nice pendants. Nevertheless, I will now only change out my little "everyday" diamond pendant (worn 24/7) if I'm going out. Even with owning gemstone and diamond pendants that I once lusted after, today, I feel that changing a piece of jewelry, (that I can only see in a mirror) is usually too much effort unless I'm going out & it best matches my outfit. Plus the bigger pieces aren't as comfortable for constant, everyday wear.

Although I used to wear bracelets around the house, I also now will only wear a bracelet when going out in public. I also used to also layer my bracelets. Now, I only wear one at a time. Tastes change. I still like all my bracelets & have no regrets about purchasing any of them. I just don't like the bother of wearing them as much as I used to.

However, I do rotate my right hand rings. Rings you can see all the time. Plus they're very easy to wear.

Except for my wedding band and E-ring, I don't stack rings. Nor do I wear an index finger & a pinkie ring (along with my ring finger rings) like I used to do. I used to be the Queen of Bling. However, these days my tastes are more simple. But I still do like to adorn both of my ring fingers on a constant basis. And change out my RHR. Plus I also like to constantly wear my very simple, small, 3/4 carat diamond pendant that I almost never take off for anything.

The rest of my jewelry (which is a lot) is now only worn when I'm going out in public. Sadly, a lot of my jewelry now seldom gets worn.

Realizing this, I've more or less stopped buying bracelets, etc. Not totally, but more or less... When I travel to various places in the world, that is the only place in the world to have a certain stone that is only mined there, I still get tempted to add a new bracelet or pendant & will pull out the plastic. These things don't get worn as much as a ring.

In addition to fine jewelry, I also have two dresser drawers full of costume jewelry that I haven't even thought to wear in over 20 years: mainly necklaces & bracelets without any base metal except for the closures. Some of those pieces would be fun to still wear today, but I have too much fine jewelry to wear instead.

Until I wrote the above, I didn't realize just how much a jewelry junkie I've been from the time I was in grade school. My mom was an enabler. Then with my very first paycheck I ever earned, my first purchase was a small diamond pendant. I blew my entire paycheck to put it on layaway to be paid off over time. A tourmaline ring then came after the pendant was paid off. After that, there was no going back to costume jewelry. A lot of the costume jewelry now in my dresser came from my mom who has never really owned fine jewelry beyond her wedding band.

Anyhow, for jewelry "most worn", I say it's rings for me these days. My most "number" owned (rings or bracelets) , who knows??? I don't. I like both. But rings definitely win for being the more wearable jewelry for me.

As for what is the best balance for someone else's collection, that would depend on what you like to wear the most & how much money you have to spend. Also think of the long term and how your tastes may change. What do you feel most comfortable wearing? Plus what will you continue to wear after its novelty has worn off?

Vanilla Bling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rings then necklaces then bracelets then earrings buts about to change :lol-2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm.
I have a lot of rings, a lot. Over 50.
I also have a lot of watches, over 30 (I’ve culled).
Bracelets and bangles, over 40, necklaces over 30, earrings over 30. Even brooches over 20.
I favour wearing / buying rings and bracelets/ bangles over other pieces because I can see them and enjoy them more easily.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
For me, I have 5 bracelets, I think. I do have one in production from like 1.5 years ago that I will probably never wear.

3 antique, 2 modern. I wore a watch many years ago and liked the Charriol cable bracelets on the other side.

I have not sold the Charriol bracelets because it's kind of a hassle and I don't think they are worth much second hand. I bought them second hand as well.

Bracelets are finicky to me. They get caught on things and snag. They are uncomfortable for typing.

I prefer rings or earrings.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hahah. Ty! I don’t have a thread on it! Here are the only pics I have handy. Left one is old cut. Right is the vintage style.

Attachments

• 31F49723-763A-4609-A3F4-204B42242D3C.jpeg
    31F49723-763A-4609-A3F4-204B42242D3C.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 17
  • B28307F8-06E3-4C4C-8CC1-DAE5B82F14E3.jpeg
    B28307F8-06E3-4C4C-8CC1-DAE5B82F14E3.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hahah. Ty! I don’t have a thread on it! Here are the only pics I have handy. Left one is old cut. Right is the vintage style.

Thanks for indulging me! They are both :kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only own 4 or 5 'good' bracletes
My lab saphires never worn
Mum's silver & pearl hinged bangle a tad too tight - never worn by me
My great aunty's gold plated jade bangle - never worn by me but i often clean it
my silver cuff i wear the most
and a silver rose on a leather cord worn about once

I have lost 2 silver belcher bracletes

I have lots of rings

ive always wanted a gemstone set bangle

I have some fun costume jewlery bracletes that are worn about as much as the good ones

Except for my silver cuff they are all way too hard to get on and off

I have a necklase of lovelly old faceted garnents that is way too small - i was going to get it made into a braclete with gold findings
But i think im better off just getting some more garnets so i can wear it as a necklase

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I have way more rings, mainly because I like stones more than metal. But now I have too many rings to give each of them the display time they deserve. Like @HollyC I live in warm weather and stacking rings is not too comfortable.

I lose earrings way to often to invest money in them. And I want to see the bling so I’m not that keen on necklaces. Yet I don’t want a giant bracelet collection, because I would rather spend the money on stones than on gold.

Maybe what I need to start collecting is pendants. I can get one 30” chain, swap out pendants, and just come to terms with looking weird sitting around holding my necklace in front of my eyes.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you so much!
Love them both!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results