shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a favorite brand of instant noodles/cup of noodles?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In what flavor? I like this one the most..:lickout:

1589840377269.png

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t eat that so no.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poison!

The RDA, recommended daily adult allowance, of sodium is 2300 mg.
And that's for the entire day!

One package of Top Ramen has 1820 mg. :sick:

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 3.42.18 PM.png

Of course, they try to make it seem like it has only the half the sodium by claiming the package has two servings. :roll:
I'm sure that works for stupid people, who don't know to look at the number of servings in a package.

Yeah Right! o_O
What percentage of Top Ramen eaters eat only half a package?

That would be like eating only 4 potato chips. :wall:

Next, read the long list of unpronounceable chemicals.
Palm oil is one of the most unhealthy fats you can eat.
Of course the flour is white, not whole wheat.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny Many of the asian brands actually package the salt separately. I had a few that come with the noodles, a pack of seasoning, a pack of salt (msg?), and a pack of spicy/flavoured oil. I just leave out the salt.

Anyways, I cant find them here, but theres a brand of japanese ones that I fell IN LOVE with. If/when I go back I'm going to bring an extra suitcase just for all the awesome junk food :lol:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Samyang.jpg

This is our family staple. It is just the perfect amount of spice. We eat it about 1x a week for lunch.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny Many of the asian brands actually package the salt separately. I had a few that come with the noodles, a pack of seasoning, a pack of salt (msg?), and a pack of spicy/flavoured oil. I just leave out the salt.

Top ramen has one packet.

What percentage of people who buy this kind of food are health conscious enough to add only part of the flavoring?
I'd guess fewer than 1%.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the korean ones because the noodles are so chewy

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What percentage of people who buy this kind of food are health conscious enough to add only part of the flavoring?
I'd guess fewer than 1%.
I only use 1/2 of the flavoring.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ate lots of it in college..... these days its a straight no

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think anyone's buying that. ;)2

That's the truth. A full pack is too strong for me, plus I don't ever drink the soup.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy the gluten free ones and eat them occasionally for lunch....

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Doesn't matter much because once you throw the garbage flavor package away they are all about the same.
Then you build up your own broth using much saner stuffs.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gluten free noodles 3 smaller packets in one large packet;

gluten free noodles.jpg

When you have a gluten free diet it's not necessarily about what tastes best but what you can buy that you can eat....

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I love these ones...
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 10.41.49 PM.png

Actually Neoguri is my favorite brand, I love the thickness of the noodles and seafood broth. Samyang is what we usually have on hand because my husband and kids like it, and we buy it by the case!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I'd guess fewer than 1%.

You're thinking of top ramen which is disgusting. There's a whole world of instant noodle out there!

I only use half, sometimes not even half. A lot of the Asian noodles have a spicy oil packet and a salt/flavor packet. In one pot I add the spicy oil, half the salt/flavoring, then add two eggs, 2-3 whole bokchoys, all cooked in one pot. In a separate pot I boil a pot of water then add just the noodles, and cook until noodles, strain. Add water and swirl, then strain again. THEN I put the 1/2 cooked noodles in with the cooked broth/eggs/veggies. After it's all done, sometimes I add a slice of cheese. It sounds gross but it's soooo good.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're thinking of top ramen which is disgusting. There's a whole world of instant noodle out there!

Yes, I'm aware.

Costco dedicates tooooooooooooooons of shelf space to the cheapo brands like Top Ramen and Cup of Noodles, but relatively little shelf space for gourmet noodles.

I'm not commenting on what you, or a couple other PS posters, do.
I'm commenting on the unhealthiness of what (clearly) the masses are buying - as evidenced by shelf space at Costco.

Whaevz.
Now, go eat your noodles. :lol-2:
Sluuuuurrrrrrppppp! :lickout::lickout::lickout::lickout::lickout::lickout::lickout::lickout:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I've only ever tried the Indomie Mi Goreng ones to be honest, sooooo yummy but I usually feel awful afterwards so it's a rare occasion. :(sad

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah I've only ever tried the Indomie Mi Goreng ones to be honest, sooooo yummy but I usually feel awful afterwards so it's a rare occasion. :(sad
oh that's a pain :(2
the alternitives are bland and revolting here,
i usually get the bbq chicken and Gary has the hotter spicier options- personally i dont like satay

but now i want to find an Asian grocery store and see what else is available

once when i was in the army, (they were always in our 3day rat packs) - my friend and i had to make ours with lift (a lemony soda pop) as we had used most of our water on our trucks radiator
i would only recomend this in an absolute emergency !!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel so deprived. Here I was debating between cup
Of noodle and Maruchan! Omg!!! I’ve been missing out!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I'm aware.

Costco dedicates tooooooooooooooons of shelf space to the cheapo brands like Top Ramen and Cup of Noodles, but relatively little shelf space for gourmet noodles.

Interesting, the Costcos near me stock tons of gourmet noodles and not much top ramen. They have udon and soba, too.

But to answer DF's original question, my favorite is this one brand from Taiwan with real braised beef and a gravy-like soup base. This dude post some pictures: https://www.theramenrater.com/2017/03/22/2385-uni-president-man-han-chilli-beef/

I consider this particular type a delicacy since they're illegal to ship or bring home due to the beef, and will drink every last drop of the broth.

s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy the cheap ‘Top Ramen’ ones, but never to make soup; I break up the dry noodles into small pieces and add to salads in lieu of croutons for a little ‘crunch factor’.

If/when I want actual ‘soup’, I usually make my own ... minestrone, MD crab & She-crab.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The Taiwanese ones that come with real meat.

Like this one (which also comes with a pack of rice wine!) but there are so many types in Taiwan... not imported to my part of the world due to the meat content so I buy so many when I travel to Taiwan or I’ll ask people to buy back for me...

99E5AEA1-0E77-4029-9A1D-5D3764C0098E.jpeg

The korean ones are also good - I like the thicker and chewier noodles.

Typically don’t drink all the soup but I make an exception for some of the Taiwanese noodles that comes with real meat and broth. Mmmm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results