shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a favorite brand of instant noodles/cup of noodles?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade can you post a photo best time you manage to get some?

I'm fascinated!!! Meat!!!! In packet noodles!!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy the cheap ‘Top Ramen’ ones, but never to make soup; I break up the dry noodles into small pieces and add to salads in lieu of croutons for a little ‘crunch factor’.

If/when I want actual ‘soup’, I usually make my own ... minestrone, MD crab & She-crab.

LOL I used to do this in college! sometimes I'd take a bag with me to class and "eat raw" *I was a poor college student* rarely used the flavor packets though because the salt content was too much(I would buy mine from a little asian market, never did like the big chain grocery store noodles).

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade can you post a photo best time you manage to get some?

I'm fascinated!!! Meat!!!! In packet noodles!!!

Not my pics as I just googled but something like these. They come in packets or bowls and these are the bowl type but yes actual meat.
9A4CD060-62C6-4CD0-BEA8-25DF49BC2418.jpeg 616340D9-E109-48D7-8777-260527CA47B4.jpeg

super super good when you are really hungry and need a quick meal.

The meat comes in an aluminum foil packaging that you open and pour out when the noodles are cooked. No need to cook the meat, is all precooked. This is making me so hungry...

The beef ones are usually really tender too. Melt in your mouth. There is also a Sichuan veg one that I find super yummy. Fortekitty posted a beef one earlier. There are quite a few flavors and I usually spend so much time in the supermarket when I go over.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL I used to do this in college! sometimes I'd take a bag with me to class and "eat raw" *I was a poor college student* rarely used the flavor packets though because the salt content was too much(I would buy mine from a little asian market, never did like the big chain grocery store noodles).

I do that on occasion now (and ‘not poor’ lol) when I just want a ‘crunchy’ snack, but not anything with sodium/seasoning like most chips and crackers. No shame in my snack game ... ;)2

voce

Ideal_Rock
Top ramen has one packet.

What percentage of people who buy this kind of food are health conscious enough to add only part of the flavoring?
I'd guess fewer than 1%.

I remember eating Maruchan ramen often as a child and a teenager, and we've always only put in part of a packet.

These days I like instant noodles workout the soup, like "hot dry" noodles or "dan dan" noodles.
1354003750409.jpg@300w_225h_90q_1e_1c.jpg
IMG_20200519_152647.jpg

If I were having a full soup experience, I'd want to have the works, like Lanzhou soup noodles or Vietnamese pho.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shin Cup is my favourite, and I always have some in the house!

Shin Cup.JPG

DK :))

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter likes sapporo ichiban, and the ones in the fridge - yamichan. I like the mama shrimp flavor or duck. I usually add bean sprout, romaine lettuce, mushrooms, bamboo, spinach and kale. Sometimes also an egg or dumplings. Gosh I'm hungry now! The salt content doesn't faze me because I eat salt with all my fruits! I think south east Asian cuisine is pretty salty anyway with our salted fish, papaya salads and green mango salads and curries and soup.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think south east Asian cuisine is pretty salty anyway with our salted fish, papaya salads and green mango salads and curries and soup.
I Wonder if any American PSers had tasted salted fish..LOL!

Reactions: AV_

voce

Ideal_Rock
I just had a bowl of tonkotsu ramen….recently discovered this at
Costco! Picture is deceiving though, meat and egg are not included, but the broth is yummy, and noodles al dente. I cracked an egg into the bowl the last minute for a soft poach egg. Delish! E6A50B83-6B5B-4CB6-8B1E-7B6D1F42460B.jpeg

Ooh, I love this, too! So glad that soft poached egg worked out for you, curious how you made it. One of the two times I tried to microwave with an egg in there, the egg white formed a big bubble, and when I burst it with my chopsticks, hot egg liquid exploded onto my eye! No lasting damage, but it makes me scared now to microwave an egg with the ramen noodles.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I love this, too! So glad that soft poached egg worked out for you, curious how you made it. One of the two times I tried to microwave with an egg in there, the egg white formed a big bubble, and when I burst it with my chopsticks, hot egg liquid exploded onto my eye! No lasting damage, but it makes me scared now to microwave an egg with the ramen noodles.

I use a ceramic plate on top of the paper lid so that lid stays down. Microwave for about 2.5 minutes, then take crack an egg into the warm broth, cover again with paper lid and ceramic plate and microwave for another minute.

I don't poke the egg right after. I let it sit in the hot broth for at least 5 minutes after removing it from the microwave, to allow everything to cool a bit before eating it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is our favourite
So i just brought 6 packets because i read last week the price is going to go up because of the price of weat
we dont eat then that often only once or twice a week for lunch with tuna and frozen veg
i have them in my pandemic/ apologise supplies

I just had a bowl of tonkotsu ramen….recently discovered this at
Costco! Picture is deceiving though, meat and egg are not included, but the broth is yummy, and noodles al dente. I cracked an egg into the bowl the last minute for a soft poach egg. Delish! E6A50B83-6B5B-4CB6-8B1E-7B6D1F42460B.jpeg

No fair! My Costco here doesn't have this!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Costco used to have this Nissin tonkotsu ramen which I thought was even better than the Nongshim version, but my store no longer carries it.

Nissin-Raoh-Tonkotsu-Ramen-Costco-2-640x480.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So its kinda cold today
So having a mid morning cuppa-soup

except noodles

wanted to try these out because i put them in our covid/ world apocalyptic kit

Super tasty and i like the big pieces of noodle
Added a wee tin of chillie chicken
There would be so yummy if one had a regular cold - good for unblocking sinesses and making nose run

I wanted to add a handful of frozen veg but Gary just wanted a cup of soup

Screenshot_20220410-131254.png

Something different from everyone else’s response on here but if anyone wants to know what childhood in india tastes like - Maggi is the way to go!

D940E9FB-0A21-4F7D-AB2F-70AD0DF6B84F.jpeg

A food that defined a nation. I don’t know a single person who doesn’t like maggi and won’t eat it from time to time, even my grandmom likes it. Make sure you get the Maggi Masala flavour.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something different from everyone else’s response on here but if anyone wants to know what childhood in india tastes like - Maggi is the way to go!

A food that defined a nation. I don’t know a single person who doesn’t like maggi and won’t eat it from time to time, even my grandmom likes it. Make sure you get the Maggi Masala flavour.

I will look for this next time I'm in the Indian grocery! Looks yummy!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My latest find is this instant “stir fry” spicy noodle. It is very very spicy, so I add Mozarella and an over easy egg to tone down the spice! Actually my teens who are obessessed with watching Korean food binging videos told me about this cheesy Korean food trend, and now I’m obsessed as well. I have been eat this at least 1x a week.

9B6632EA-35C0-4847-9B6C-1B27168B239C.jpeg EE5ACD03-7D58-44E0-A372-9384E5D4E955.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Off on a tangent
The first thing i learnt to cook on my own was Maggi cream of chicken soup with a tin of corn (I'd still happily eat that)
Without Maggi meal bases and soups my '70s childhod would have been even more bland
Still buy their bases for beef stroginov, cottage pie, deviled sussages and apricot chicken and always have some packets of soup in the pantry for extra flavoring
Had a bit if a panic a while back when we couldn't find oxtail soup (we use it in every thing beef in the slow cooker)
But phew they were just changing the packaging

Back in the noodle isle, here we only get Maggi in beef, chicken and Chinese

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Lord :(2
The price of instant noodles seems to have had a bigger jump than just inflation
I guess its the price of weat due to the war in Ukrainev

Im sure we used to buy 2 packs (of 5 ) of indomie chicken bbq for about $6 and now they are $5 for a 5 pack

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Costco used to have this Nissin tonkotsu ramen which I thought was even better than the Nongshim version, but my store no longer carries it.

Nissin-Raoh-Tonkotsu-Ramen-Costco-2-640x480.jpg

Oooh I was going to comment this, so glad I saw them on here—these are the best!!!
But very expensive here in the Philippines o_O A pack of 5 is PHP 1,000 or around 20 USD... compared to the regular local instant noodle kinds where you can get a pack of 5 for 2 USD. :lol-2:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’ve never had Maggi noodle, but we always had a bottle of Maggi seasoning on hand when I was a kid, mainly to add to soups.

Although, according to the company’s website, Maggie’s flavor is tweaked for each country to reflect that country’s taste! :think: :-o

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve never had Maggi noodle, but we always had a bottle of Maggi seasoning on hand when I was a kid, mainly to add to soups.

Although, according to the company’s website, Maggie’s flavor is tweaked for each country to reflect that country’s taste! :think: :-o

I didnt know Maggi was an international brand till this thread

The Maggi seasoning you get in the West is different from the Indian maggi noodles I believe! You can buy the Indian noodles in grocery stores in other countries as well though (check the Indian grocery).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results