shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you feel guilty for not wearing your original rings?

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Evangeline- What you have said in your posts, always mimics just how I feel as well.

Plus, I have seen several marriages break up in the 21 years I am married and it makes me realize, keeping the relationship is the most important :) the rings are just an added bonus!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I've upgraded by original e-ring before we even walked down the aisle and at the time, I didn't feel any guilt and my husband really wanted to make me happy with my ring.

Now we've been married almost 2 years we are talking about baby and house, and other things that costs tons of $$$. Even then I will from time to time get the itch to upgrade again despite the fact that I have a more than sizable and gorgeous ring. I will sometimes talk to my husband about it (mostly to get me off the ledge), and he will ask me how big would be big enough, which is a really good point. He also says that when I get the upgrade bug, he feels that what he gave me wasn't good enough, which makes me sad and then I forget the upgrade idea. So now I'm learning to appreciate what I have, and add on with stackers, RHRs, etc. If I ever did upgrade again though, I'd match it to my wedding band since I would never change that.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
EvangelineG|1452979210|3976905 said:
Nope. Been married for 20 years. My marriage has changed during that time, so have I and so has he. I feel like the new rings are representative of change growth. :))

Ohhhh....like this!

No guilt. Husband was onboard 100% w upgrade. Origional sits in my jewelry box. Sure I will wear it again. The cut quality GIA is only "good".... I will need to muster up the strength. It won't look so good now :(
The original ering is also on its third setting. So, I do agree we all change, grow and desire different things at different points in our lives. I wanted this upgrade for over a decade if not even longer. I saved and woked extra. So no :) not one ounce of guilt!
Nor should you!! :) :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread. I loved reading everyone's stories.

No, I don't feel guilty. I loved my original rings for 16 years. My DH was the first one who suggested I get something new and I resisted for a few years. Once I started upgrading though it was a different story. I've had 5 new diamonds, 5 new erings and 9 new bands since then. I am on my last diamond now but ering and bands I am sure I'll change those out sometime.

I had a lot of sentiment attached to my original ering but DH had no sentiment attached to it. The original center diamond was .15 ct and a ring guard with it had 2 .03 ct diamonds. I had those put in an open heart pendant and still wear that sometimes. The original rings have a color shift spinel in it but I honestly don't wear it anymore.

Halohello

Rough_Rock
Yes! I was just wondering today if anyone feels the same! I am about to reset my solitaire into a pave halo setting, and the guilt is tearing me apart if I'm honest, even though my hubby is on board! I'm dropping my rings off in exactly 1 hour, and I feel so sad about it even though a re-set is what I've been dreaming about for the last 2 years! I guess I never realised how sentimental I am, and now that I have looked into a reset I feel guilty at swapping such a durable and practical setting for a pave halo with all the risks it involves (stones falling out etc). I also feel kinda shallow for wanting more bling and a halo to make my ring "bigger", as if what my hubby so lovingly chose for me is not good enough!

So in short, yes - I feel guilty too.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halohello said:
Yes! I was just wondering today if anyone feels the same! I am about to reset my solitaire into a pave halo setting, and the guilt is tearing me apart if I'm honest, even though my hubby is on board! I'm dropping my rings off in exactly 1 hour, and I feel so sad about it even though a re-set is what I've been dreaming about for the last 2 years! I guess I never realised how sentimental I am, and now that I have looked into a reset I feel guilty at swapping such a durable and practical setting for a pave halo with all the risks it involves (stones falling out etc). I also feel kinda shallow for wanting more bling and a halo to make my ring "bigger", as if what my hubby so lovingly chose for me is not good enough!

Hopefully this thread makes you feel better :)!
Change your clothes, your hair, your ring - just not the husband! ;-) good to go!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
pearaffair|1452821529|3976164 said:
I don't like to wear my wedding band because I find the straight edges uncomfortable. Most of the time I wear a plain comfort fit band because it is soooo comfortable! But I hate that I'm not wearing the band that takes me back to my wedding day. That was one of the best days of my life, and looking and my original rings takes me back to it!

So... Guilt. Also guilt for wanting to upgrade. Anyone else?

I wear my original wedding band (it's just a plain 2mm white gold band) but not my original engagement ring. I don't feel too guilty about not wearing my original engagement ring, but sometimes I feel a pang that this perfectly good diamond is going unworn. My DH said it was fine to reset into a ring I'd wear (have thought about a plain shank halo many times, which I could either wear with my wedding band or as a RHR), but I still feel weird about not having my original ring as-is. Maybe once I have my upgrade on my hand (also a solitaire), I'll feel differently. I feel no guilt for upgrading--I feel I earned that upgrade! :lol:

Halohello

Rough_Rock
pearaffair|1456237417|3994389 said:
Halohello said:

Hopefully this thread makes you feel better :)!
Change your clothes, your hair, your ring - just not the husband! ;-) good to go!

It does! Just in time, too, as the wheels are in motion! :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results