shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you consider diamond hoops a classic/staple piece?

I’ve been wanting diamond hoops for a while now, bought a pair of fakes to test them out and I really like them.

But sometimes I wonder if they’re a sensible purchase and whether I’ll wear them even as I get older. I find Huggies more wearable at any age, but I’m not a fan of the style. I like long round hoops, a min of 2in diameter.

What do you think?

Also, what size of diamonds should I go for, ie, the largest size that seems acceptable on a daily basis?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Not for me. I understand they are popular - and some are really beautiful- but as someone from the U.K. hoop earrings for me will always have connotations of teenage fashion or the 1980s.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I got a pair of Inside/Out hoops last year. They are about 1.75" diameter. I am 61 and have shoulder length hair and I wear them almost every day. I also think nice studs are a classic, probably more of a classic than the hoops, but I love the hoops.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Not for me. I understand they are popular - and some are really beautiful- but as someone from the U.K. hoop earrings for me will always have connotations of teenage fashion or the 1980s.

Same, minus the UK part and add US. However, I don't look at them and think they are necessarily trendy when I see them on others. I just don't want them for myself.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Diamond studs and hoops (including huggies) are classic, IMO. I have both and wear my studs daily and hoops for dressier occasions. I have long hair that is always down, so the hoops are definitely more visible. Mine are 2.5ctw inside out hoops (G VS) about 1” in diameter from Costco.

1674762877098.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I have big fat earlobes, and would love a pair of slim oval/D-shape hoops as round ones stick out too much for me.

I don't like the really trendy oversize hoops, apologies in advance when I say this, however, they look rather trashy/trailer park to me.

If I were to have a pair of hoops, they will be no more than 20-25mm in length and they need to be slim/narrow oval/D-shape huggies for em.

DK :))

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have diamond hoops in both white and yellow gold, both are kind of oval shaped and not large at all either in size, or size of the stones. I've had both for many years and I rarely wear them and generally wear my studs. But I did wear them a lot in the past. Would I buy them again at this point, probably not, but I did wear them and enjoy them when I originally bought them. Maybe it's an age thing? I'm pretty darn old. I think of them as something to wear once in awhile, but my studs are still my every day go to. And when I want hoops, I actually pull out my small gold hoops more often.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I like diamond hoops. I bought nice inside/outside hoops from Roberto Coin, but someday I'd like to have the Tiffany version.

Be careful about going too large with the diamond size and/or the diameter size of the hoop because both of these things will increase the weight of the earring on your earlobe. Heavy earrings get painful very fast and reduces the time you can wear them (true about all different types of earrings, not just hoops.). I tried on a GORGEOUS pair of Harry Winston hoops but they were waaaaay too heavy (I think they were something like 20+ grams) and even if I had the extra $ to spend on them (which I don't) I wouldn't buy them because they'd stretch my earlobes out.

Regarding "classic" vs "trendy" (which could out of style), I think smaller to medium diameter hoops, like the ones @Kaycee2018 has above, and my Roberto Coin pair (which are similar to Kaycee's) are classic. I think that ones larger than ours are in the trendy/will go out of fashion category.

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I have diamond hoops maybe 1.5” in diameter. I rarely wear them

Same, minus the UK part and add US. However, I don't look at them and think they are necessarily trendy when I see them on others. I just don't want them for myself.

Personally, I have big fat earlobes, and would love a pair of slim oval/D-shape hoops as round ones stick out too much for me.

I don't like the really trendy oversize hoops, apologies in advance when I say this, however, they look rather trashy/trailer park to me.

If I were to have a pair of hoops, they will be no more than 20-25mm in length and they need to be slim/narrow oval/D-shape huggies for em.

DK :))

I like diamond hoops. I bought nice inside/outside hoops from Roberto Coin, but someday I'd like to have the Tiffany version.

Be careful about going too large with the diamond size and/or the diameter size of the hoop because both of these things will increase the weight of the earring on your earlobe. Heavy earrings get painful very fast and reduces the time you can wear them (true about all different types of earrings, not just hoops.). I tried on a GORGEOUS pair of Harry Winston hoops but they were waaaaay too heavy (I think they were something like 20+ grams) and even if I had the extra $ to spend on them (which I don't) I wouldn't buy them because they'd stretch my earlobes out.

Regarding "classic" vs "trendy" (which could out of style), I think smaller to medium diameter hoops, like the ones @Kaycee2018 has above, and my Roberto Coin pair (which are similar to Kaycee's) are classic. I think that ones larger than ours are in the trendy/will go out of fashion category.

I do see the point you’re all making, thank you for your opinions! I think especially the style I like - the big hoops - can read kind of young or dated. But I do love the look.

Perhaps I could do baguette hoops? Or hoops with multiple shapes of diamonds?

I think I would like something like 2in diameter and perhaps something in the range of 8-9ctw; so they will be BIG. But I suppose if I grow to dislike the look I can always repurpose the stones in a bracelet. My earlobes are giant and I’ve worn some rather heavy earrings the whole day without any problems, so I think I should be able to manage.

I got a pair of Inside/Out hoops last year. They are about 1.75" diameter. I am 61 and have shoulder length hair and I wear them almost every day. I also think nice studs are a classic, probably more of a classic than the hoops, but I love the hoops.

Diamond studs and hoops (including huggies) are classic, IMO. I have both and wear my studs daily and hoops for dressier occasions. I have long hair that is always down, so the hoops are definitely more visible. Mine are 2.5ctw inside out hoops (G VS) about 1” in diameter from Costco.

1674762877098.jpeg

I had 2ct diamond hoops (about 1 inch in diameter) and I just didn't like them on me. I sold them and now have huggies with 3 diamonds each -- the diamonds are larger, hoops are smaller, and I'm much happier!

I have diamond hoops in both white and yellow gold, both are kind of oval shaped and not large at all either in size, or size of the stones. I've had both for many years and I rarely wear them and generally wear my studs. But I did wear them a lot in the past. Would I buy them again at this point, probably not, but I did wear them and enjoy them when I originally bought them. Maybe it's an age thing? I'm pretty darn old. I think of them as something to wear once in awhile, but my studs are still my every day go to. And when I want hoops, I actually pull out my small gold hoops more often.

I have diamond hoops maybe 1.5” in diameter. I rarely wear them
If I wore earrings, I would definitely wear some inside outside hoops. I love the look.

Inside/out hoops are definitely what I would go for! Glad to see that some of you do wear your hoops even as you’ve gotten older. And @Kaycee2018 your earrings are lovely. The style I’m drawn to is chunkier and bigger than yours but yours are very pretty.

Honestly I wish I liked Huggies or metal hoops because I really do find them more practical and they are more economical than my preferred hoop style, but I just don’t and I don’t know why. I even like them on others but not myself.

Studs are of course way more of a staple but I already have a few pairs at this point, so I don’t see myself ever buying studs again.

I suppose even if I outgrow the hoop style as @lulu_ma and @Lookinagain did, I could always repurpose the stones or pass them on to a child I might have?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I think I would like something like 2in diameter and perhaps something in the range of 8-9ctw...

I think 2 inches in diameter would look nice -- I thought when you said "big" you meant something like this, which I personally don't care for and think will go out of fashion...

In my opinion too large/will go out of fashion:

TREAZY-Rose-Gold-Color-Rhinestones-Circle-Earring-Shiny-Crystal-Big-Hoop-Earrings-For-Women-W...jpeg

But I think 2" is much more of a classic size. I like the 2 inches! When I did an image search for "2 inch chunky diamond hoops" these pics came back. I know these aren't exactly the style you are looking for, but I found the visualization of a 2" diameter helpful.

2-ish inch diameter for visualization purposes:

1 scallop-diamond-hoop-earrings-available-in-three-sizes-in-white-rose-and-yellow-gold-earring...jpg

eternity_12306.jpg

4 GettyImages-866420778.jpeg

3.jpg

I think 2 inches in diameter would look nice -- I thought when you said "big" you meant something like this, which I personally don't care for and think will go out of fashion...

In my opinion too large/will go out of fashion:

TREAZY-Rose-Gold-Color-Rhinestones-Circle-Earring-Shiny-Crystal-Big-Hoop-Earrings-For-Women-W...jpeg

But I think 2" is much more of a classic size. I like the 2 inches! When I did an image search for "2 inch chunky diamond hoops" these pics came back. I know these aren't exactly the style you are looking for, but I found the visualization of a 2" diameter helpful.

2-ish inch diameter for visualization purposes:

1 scallop-diamond-hoop-earrings-available-in-three-sizes-in-white-rose-and-yellow-gold-earring...jpg

eternity_12306.jpg

4 GettyImages-866420778.jpeg

3.jpg

Oh looking at these I think 2-2.5in is actually perfect, thank you for the visualisation! I normally only see Huggies or the 1inch hoops around so to me2-2.5in seemed big. But really I think they’re better described as medium sized and chunky.

I am travelling atm but when I’m back home I might pop in to my jeweler and see if he has anything of the sort in the store. I want to see what 15-25pts each stone hoop looks like, and then I’ll pick the smallest size I like so as to be cost and weight effective :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm old and creaky and to the point I don't care what anybody thinks about what I wear for jewelry lol. I love my diamond hoops and wear them all the time. I have a larger pair, maybe 2.25 in diameter and a smaller pair maybe 1.25 in diameter. The smaller pair I will wear whenever. The larger pair I wear more when dressing up.

DSC_1006.JPG

cmsdiamondhoops3.jpg

diamonds_galore

Rough_Rock
I love them! Mine are oval shaped, 0.30 ct each (total weight 11 cttw!) and I wear them everyday. They are 2 inches in length and Not too heavy (18 karat white gold). I feel so sexy and elegant when I wear them. And boy do they sparkle! Women will stop me and say, I noticed your hoops from across the room! What I love most about them is the way that they were made, they lay on my ears almost sideways so that the diamonds in the back are always visible.
@Wink this is for you
B77B12DC-5ADB-47A0-B832-9F373916AF49.jpeg
56635471-D8B2-4AD1-8AC2-CA5E2436ABA3.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
what's a baguettes hoop
i thought baguettes was a loaf of bread ?

anyway where what you want because you love them not because they are in fashion right now
if you buy them and wear them say 3 days a week for the next 2 years then that's value for money - better than shoes or clothes
i did not have peirced ears in the 80s so i dont remember but the 80's were soooo much fun
i dont see a problem with one or two elemenets from a past decade being worn as part of an outfit today

my diamond huggies are mall jewler, yellow gold and more U shape and not at all large
years ago my SIL gave me her cast off gold huggies that she no longer fitted
i no longer fit them
i sent them for scrap but they were gold plated

i think i read somewhere the ears keep growing so i hope my present pair are big enough

i like hoops, big hoops look young but if you are young at heart why not ?
and well who's ears are they anyway !!!!

I'm old and creaky and to the point I don't care what anybody thinks about what I wear for jewelry lol. I love my diamond hoops and wear them all the time. I have a larger pair, maybe 2.25 in diameter and a smaller pair maybe 1.25 in diameter. The smaller pair I will wear whenever. The larger pair I wear more when dressing up.

DSC_1006.JPG

cmsdiamondhoops3.jpg

Beautiful! I think that ~2in diameter size is definitely what I am looking for.

I love them! Mine are oval shaped, 0.30 ct each (total weight 11 cttw!) and I wear them everyday. They are 2 inches in length and Not too heavy (18 karat white gold). I feel so sexy and elegant when I wear them. And boy do they sparkle! Women will stop me and say, I noticed your hoops from across the room! What I love most about them is the way that they were made, they lay on my ears almost sideways so that the diamonds in the back are always visible.
@Wink this is for you
B77B12DC-5ADB-47A0-B832-9F373916AF49.jpeg
56635471-D8B2-4AD1-8AC2-CA5E2436ABA3.jpeg

Your earrings are stunning!! This is exactly what I am looking for. I love the size and everything!

I've had these for years. I used to wear them all the time but I put them away. I think I need to bring them again.... edit to add they need a good cleaning. :)

hoops.jpg

So pretty!! Yes you must take them out and wear them again!

what's a baguettes hoop
i thought baguettes was a loaf of bread ?

anyway where what you want because you love them not because they are in fashion right now
if you buy them and wear them say 3 days a week for the next 2 years then that's value for money - better than shoes or clothes
i did not have peirced ears in the 80s so i dont remember but the 80's were soooo much fun
i dont see a problem with one or two elemenets from a past decade being worn as part of an outfit today

my diamond huggies are mall jewler, yellow gold and more U shape and not at all large
years ago my SIL gave me her cast off gold huggies that she no longer fitted
i no longer fit them
i sent them for scrap but they were gold plated

i think i read somewhere the ears keep growing so i hope my present pair are big enough

i like hoops, big hoops look young but if you are young at heart why not ?
and well who's ears are they anyway !!!!

I thought of doing the hoop with baguettes - the long thin step cuts. Or perhaps with emerald cuts. Then it would look a bit unique and not like the typical round hoops!

You have a very fair point that even if I wear them regularly for 2 years I would still have gotten my money’s worth out of them!

I think I’m going to do it - will pop in and have a chat (when I’m free) with my jeweler to see what he has in stock and what it’s going to cost me :D

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do consider them a classic, but IMO something is only a staple if it's a staple for YOU. Hoops would never be for me BC I can't sleep in them. I am completely lazy when it comes to earrings. I need things I can sleep in or I won't remember to put them on in the morning. I might be able to make huggies with the comfy clip in the back situation work.

I do consider them a classic, but IMO something is only a staple if it's a staple for YOU. Hoops would never be for me BC I can't sleep in them. I am completely lazy when it comes to earrings. I need things I can sleep in or I won't remember to put them on in the morning. I might be able to make huggies with the comfy clip in the back situation work.

I wouldn’t wear them every day, because I like to switch out my earrings, but reasonably often would be good. I hate sleeping in earrings, luckily, so that’s not a concern!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results