shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you consider diamond hoops a classic/staple piece?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alternating RBs and ECs is an excellent idea! It’ll depend on how expensive it turns out to be, honestly :D

Oh I don’t mind at all! I just wanted to get the discussion going, and I think my hoops journey has stalled until I (finally) get back home. And if I can weigh in on your dilemma, if there was ever a time to go custom @yssie, it would be now. You say you don’t value the brand (and I agree with you. I would also be loath to pay the brand premium for Chanel fine jewelry), so why not contact any of the many great vendors in the US and tell them your exact requirements? Even if you pay a premium for their work it’ll be cheaper than buying from Chanel.

I’ve thought about it but I worry!! Earrings are so challenging to do right, with the clip mechanism - I do also like the idea of having some sort of return/repair option if I just buy off the shelf. I also don’t know that I could actually describe everything that I like about the Chanel pair without owning the Chanel pair :lol:

But you’re totally right, and everything you said is why I haven’t bought them yet!!

I’ve thought about it but I worry!! Earrings are so challenging to do right, with the clip mechanism - I do also like the idea of having some sort of return/repair option if I just buy off the shelf. I also don’t know that I could actually describe everything that I like about the Chanel pair without actually owning the Chanel pair :lol:

But you’re totally right, and everything you said is why I haven’t bought them yet!!

If you have another pair of earrings where you really like how the mechanism works, perhaps go to that vendor?

Actually for hoop huggie earrings like these, my preferred closure is the latch back (I think is what it’s called), where the post threads into the back of the earring and snaps shut. Feels more secure and looks neater than the omega.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have another pair of earrings where you really like how the mechanism works, perhaps go to that vendor?

Actually for hoop huggie earrings like these, my preferred closure is the latch back (I think is what it’s called), where the post threads into the back of the earring and snaps shut. Feels more secure and looks neater than the omega.

Hmm, I think I have some earrings like you mean. It’s where the back actually screws onto the post, all the way into the piercing? They ARE really secure, I had them as a child and never ever lost an earring ❤️

I might reach out to Sako for a quote. I’m really curious what diamond shape you end up with! I suspect you’ll figure out your finally-final in a dream, or in the shower, or sometime totally random :bigsmile:

Hmm, I think I have some earrings like you mean. It’s where the back actually screws onto the post, all the way into the piercing? They ARE really secure, I had them as a child and never ever lost an earring ❤️

I might reach out to Sako for a quote. I’m really curious what diamond shape you end up with! I suspect you’ll figure out your finally-final in a dream, or in the shower, or sometime totally random :bigsmile:

I found a picture of what I meant, if it’s helpful! I only see huggie hoops in India made like this. Actually I think a major reason I don’t want Huggies now is that as a kid those were my daily earrings (thin huggie hoops in gold, and then when I got a little bit older, gold with teeny tiny diamonds), and when I had to dress up I borrowed my mom’s huggies (which were much thicker, fairly similar to these Chanel ones actually!) so I feel like I’ve worn enough huggies and now it’s time for something else :D

D284883E-39C9-4A60-B511-E697FEB1C01E.jpeg
Also, it sounds unromantic as hell, but I think I will figure out my final iteration sitting in front of my jeweler and debating pricing :D of course if the difference is small I’ll go with what I truly want, whatever it is (I don’t know yet haha). But I expect these earrings to be in the thousands of dollars, and if the difference in price between the different possibilities is huge then I’m going to let cost be the deciding factor. Let’s see :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a picture of what I meant, if it’s helpful! I only see huggie hoops in India made like this. Actually I think a major reason I don’t want Huggies now is that as a kid those were my daily earrings (thin huggie hoops in gold, and then when I got a little bit older, gold with teeny tiny diamonds), and when I had to dress up I borrowed my mom’s huggies (which were much thicker, fairly similar to these Chanel ones actually!) so I feel like I’ve worn enough huggies and now it’s time for something else :D

D284883E-39C9-4A60-B511-E697FEB1C01E.jpeg
Also, it sounds unromantic as hell, but I think I will figure out my final iteration sitting in front of my jeweler and debating pricing :D of course if the difference is small I’ll go with what I truly want, whatever it is (I don’t know yet haha). But I expect these earrings to be in the thousands of dollars, and if the difference in price between the different possibilities is huge then I’m going to let cost be the deciding factor. Let’s see :D

Ya know. Nothin’ unromantic at all about figuring out the budget and then sticking to the budget. :appl:

My hoop earrings from India don’t look like that at all! Maybe it’s a north/south diff? These are the only ones I’ve got out of the bank right now - they’re tiny in terms of drop, but also super skinny. And the closure is… Pulling the ends apart a touch and guiding the post into the “socket” on the other side. No hinge, just relies on the gold to flex a bit. The sort you posted looks much more solid!

Attachments

• 8239F775-718B-4544-90F5-790A0041B07B.jpeg
    8239F775-718B-4544-90F5-790A0041B07B.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 0CB27697-E981-4213-A6D5-1BA05C09B889.jpeg
    0CB27697-E981-4213-A6D5-1BA05C09B889.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 19
Ya know. Nothin’ unromantic at all about figuring out the budget and then sticking to the budget. :appl:

My hoop earrings from India don’t look like that at all! Maybe it’s a north/south diff? These are the only ones I’ve got out of the bank right now - they’re tiny in terms of drop, but also super skinny. And the closure is… Pulling the ends apart a touch and guiding the post into the “socket” on the other side. No hinge, just relies on the gold to flex a bit. The sort you posted looks much more solid!

Oh I’ve seen this type of closure too! I don’t think it’s a north south difference as much as it’s dependent on the thickness of the hoop. So my hoops as a child were thicker than this, so it had that click/press/latch sort of back that I posted a picture of. But my mom has a pair of super skinny hoops also that have a sort of dangling jadau charm on them, and they have this kind of closure!

Unfortunately, budget is king when it comes to bling haha. I don’t want to compromise on the colour and clarity of the stones I pick (I like to go FG VS for small stones) because I feel like you can see the difference (especially because my jeweler just offers FG VS and IJ SI), and if I don’t want to compromise on carat, colour, clarity or cost; then something is going to have to give!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I’ve seen this type of closure too! I don’t think it’s a north south difference as much as it’s dependent on the thickness of the hoop. So my hoops as a child were thicker than this, so it had that click/press/latch sort of back that I posted a picture of. But my mom has a pair of super skinny hoops also that have a sort of dangling jadau charm on them, and they have this kind of closure!

Unfortunately, budget is king when it comes to bling haha. I don’t want to compromise on the colour and clarity of the stones I pick (I like to go FG VS for small stones) because I feel like you can see the difference (especially because my jeweler just offers FG VS and IJ SI), and if I don’t want to compromise on carat, colour, clarity or cost; then something is going to have to give!
Ah. Width. Yeah. Makes sense! I don’t have any wider hoops. Actually… I don’t think I’ve ever seen my female relatives wearing wider hoops… Huh :think:

Oh yeah. The earring dangly charms. Earring drops galore. And they’re like socks, in my family at least, you can never find an actually-matched pair :lol:

So question-not-question - what do you think about lab stones? Potential cost savings?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
just have to sneek in and confess im a dork
i got hops and huggies muddled :lol-2:

Ah. Width. Yeah. Makes sense! I don’t have any wider hoops. Actually… I don’t think I’ve ever seen my female relatives wearing wider hoops… Huh :think:

Oh yeah. The earring dangly charms. Earring drops galore. And they’re like socks, in my family at least, you can never find an actually-matched pair :lol:

So question-not-question - what do you think about lab stones? Potential cost savings?

Perhaps the wider (I don’t mean very wide) hoops were more common in the north, or just in my circle? All my friends growing up wore either simple studs (with a coloured stone or a small diamond, or just a gold bead) or a hoop, but they were maybe 1.5-2mm wide; as opposed to the one you posted a pic of, which I’m guessing is like 0.8-1mm?

My mom actually has three pairs that have identical jadau dangly charms, in red, blue and green enamel respectively. I like to mix and match them and wear occasionally :D

As for lab grown stones…. I know they would be the answer to my problem, but the problem is, they just aren’t mind clean for me. It’s not that I don’t think they’re really diamonds or whatever, I just feel weird about it. Like in my head, CZs, moissys and LGDs are all sort of equivalent, even though I know they aren’t really. Or put differently, I think I find LGDs too expensive. If they were the same or similar price to CZs, no question, but because they aren’t, I think I need to stick to EGDs.

The first time the hoops itch bit me I actually got a pair of CZ ones, because I figured it would be good enough - we’ve had this conversation if you remember, about the oddiyanam, and the costume version definitely scratched that itch for me. But the CZ hoops just aren’t cutting it. It’s unfortunate, but for me, when it has to do with sparkly stones, only EGDs will do! :doh:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the wider (I don’t mean very wide) hoops were more common in the north, or just in my circle? All my friends growing up wore either simple studs (with a coloured stone or a small diamond, or just a gold bead) or a hoop, but they were maybe 1.5-2mm wide; as opposed to the one you posted a pic of, which I’m guessing is like 0.8-1mm?

My mom actually has three pairs that have identical jadau dangly charms, in red, blue and green enamel respectively. I like to mix and match them and wear occasionally :D

As for lab grown stones…. I know they would be the answer to my problem, but the problem is, they just aren’t mind clean for me. It’s not that I don’t think they’re really diamonds or whatever, I just feel weird about it. Like in my head, CZs, moissys and LGDs are all sort of equivalent, even though I know they aren’t really. Or put differently, I think I find LGDs too expensive. If they were the same or similar price to CZs, no question, but because they aren’t, I think I need to stick to EGDs.

The first time the hoops itch bit me I actually got a pair of CZ ones, because I figured it would be good enough - we’ve had this conversation if you remember, about the oddiyanam, and the costume version definitely scratched that itch for me. But the CZ hoops just aren’t cutting it. It’s unfortunate, but for me, when it has to do with sparkly stones, only EGDs will do! :doh:

Your guess of 0.8-1cm wide sounds about right. And I think the my mother’s bigger hoops are probably closer to the 2mm, like your memories.

Yeah… My mother stores earring charms in old pill bottles. I think her wedding earrings are in a bigger Centrum bottle. My own organization is overkill-and-beating-the-corpse by comparison :lol: I’m guessing you’ve got your bling pretty well organized as well!!

I’m in about the same place for labs. For me they’re great for non-staples. For me hoops aren’t staples, so I’d do labs for more bling for the buck, but for my staples, or otherwise “important” pieces - I need mined-clean mind-clean. But that might change for me in future.

Your hoops will be showstoppers, whatever shape and exact size you end up choosing!!

Your guess of 0.8-1cm wide sounds about right. And I think the my mother’s bigger hoops are probably closer to the 2mm, like your memories.

Yeah… My mother stores earring charms in old pill bottles. I think her wedding earrings are in a bigger Centrum bottle. My own organization is overkill-and-beating-the-corpse by comparison :lol: I’m guessing you’ve got your bling pretty well organized as well!!

I’m in about the same place for labs. For me they’re great for non-staples. For me hoops aren’t staples, so I’d do labs for more bling for the buck, but for my staples, or otherwise “important” pieces - I need mined-clean mind-clean. But that might change for me in future.

Your hoops will be showstoppers, whatever shape and exact size you end up choosing!!

I’m so organised I overrode my mother’s protests and organised her entire collection as well :lol: we do use some questionable items for storage though (so many nut and biscuit boxes), but I went through and threaded each pair of earrings on to a little piece of card stock, gave them all serial numbers and made her an excel file with descriptions and invoice numbers. I haven’t really checked to see if she’s following my system though because I’m sure it’ll make me cry actual tears to discover that she isn’t :lol:

Okay, digression over! Haha.

To get back to the hoops - I am travelling/working till end of Feb pretty much. Once I get a free minute I will pop in to the jeweler and discuss my ideas with him, get a quote and run it by everyone here!

Also - if you do end up going custom with your Huggies, I’d love to know! I always find custom more mentally satisfying than just picking up a piece from a brand. All the little details are the best part for me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so organised I overrode my mother’s protests and organised her entire collection as well :lol: we do use some questionable items for storage though (so many nut and biscuit boxes), but I went through and threaded each pair of earrings on to a little piece of card stock, gave them all serial numbers and made her an excel file with descriptions and invoice numbers. I haven’t really checked to see if she’s following my system though because I’m sure it’ll make me cry actual tears to discover that she isn’t :lol:

Okay, digression over! Haha.

To get back to the hoops - I am travelling/working till end of Feb pretty much. Once I get a free minute I will pop in to the jeweler and discuss my ideas with him, get a quote and run it by everyone here!

Also - if you do end up going custom with your Huggies, I’d love to know! I always find custom more mentally satisfying than just picking up a piece from a brand. All the little details are the best part for me.

Reorganizing is such a MASSIVE undertaking, so nice if you to do that for your mum ❤️

Please do share what you and your jeweller decide on! There are actually a lot of things to think about with hoops - drop, width, inside-out or not, post placement, curved or straight post, locking mechanism, hinge placement, diamond size and colour, metal colour and type, gallery style… It’s definitely a “big” project! :bigsmile: And really good thing you enjoy custom!! :bigsmile:

Heh. My 2023 bling budget is spoken for already, and so is a good chunk of 2024’s, so… Lots of wishful thinking happening here I’m afraid :lol:

Reorganizing is such a MASSIVE undertaking, so nice if you to do that for your mum ❤️

Please do share what you and your jeweller decide on! There are actually a lot of things to think about with hoops - drop, width, inside-out or not, post placement, curved or straight post, locking mechanism, hinge placement, diamond size and colour, metal colour and type, gallery style… It’s definitely a “big” project! :bigsmile: And really good thing you enjoy custom!! :bigsmile:

Heh. My 2023 bling budget is spoken for already, and so is a good chunk of 2024’s, so… Lots of wishful thinking happening here I’m afraid :lol:

This is probably going to be my big project for the year! I have two projects in mind but I think it’ll also depend on cost whether I’ll do both this year or not. The other thing I want to do is a pair of multi coloured, asymmetric earrings, but I’m still collecting inspiration and also the stones for that. I always wanted something in the spirit of Margot McKinney, Anna Hu, Victoire de Castellane, de Grisogono… but I don’t have millions of dollars to spare, so those are just inspirations. But I digress again.

I think for now the things I know definitively are:
- inside out hoops
- round hoops
- 1.5-2.5in in diameter (will have to go try on pairs to see where I settle, but likely to go for the happy medium 2 inches)
- very little visible metal
- 20-25pts per stone (unless I do something like the baguette hoops I posted up thread, with one stone NS and one EW. Then the NS orientation stone would be 25pts).
- not a simple hoop of only RBs
- 18kt WG with rhodium plating, I want it “bright white”
- prong setting, number of prongs being dependent on the stone size and shape.
- FG VS stones

The rest of the details I would have to go and try on. I think I would like a hinged hoop with either an omega back + push back (for security) or a latch back like I posted upthread. I don’t like visible metal so I would want a thin gallery but I might go for the basic basket design to reduce complexity. Post placement etc I just let my jeweler decide. He measures my ears to get the fit right and so far it’s worked well!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is probably going to be my big project for the year! I have two projects in mind but I think it’ll also depend on cost whether I’ll do both this year or not. The other thing I want to do is a pair of multi coloured, asymmetric earrings, but I’m still collecting inspiration and also the stones for that. I always wanted something in the spirit of Margot McKinney, Anna Hu, Victoire de Castellane, de Grisogono… but I don’t have millions of dollars to spare, so those are just inspirations. But I digress again.

I think for now the things I know definitively are:
- inside out hoops
- round hoops
- 1.5-2.5in in diameter (will have to go try on pairs to see where I settle, but likely to go for the happy medium 2 inches)
- very little visible metal
- 20-25pts per stone (unless I do something like the baguette hoops I posted up thread, with one stone NS and one EW. Then the NS orientation stone would be 25pts).
- not a simple hoop of only RBs
- 18kt WG with rhodium plating, I want it “bright white”
- prong setting, number of prongs being dependent on the stone size and shape.
- FG VS stones

The rest of the details I would have to go and try on. I think I would like a hinged hoop with either an omega back + push back (for security) or a latch back like I posted upthread. I don’t like visible metal so I would want a thin gallery but I might go for the basic basket design to reduce complexity. Post placement etc I just let my jeweler decide. He measures my ears to get the fit right and so far it’s worked well!

Well you've got lot of it sorted out already ::)

I much prefer a hoop that joins with the post at the back of the ear over a J-hoop style. Omega or clip-in or latch. For weight distribution - so that all the weight of the earring isn't hanging off the front of the lobe. So I'm with you there.

I wonder if for a bigger earring like this there would be a noticeable weight difference between different karats of gold? 14k is hard to swing in India though, I know - anything under 23.9 is "barely gold" in some circles :lol-2:

Well you've got lot of it sorted out already ::)

I much prefer a hoop that joins with the post at the back of the ear over a J-hoop style. Omega or clip-in or latch. For weight distribution - so that all the weight of the earring isn't hanging off the front of the lobe. So I'm with you there.

I wonder if for a bigger earring like this there would be a noticeable weight difference between different karats of gold? 14k is hard to swing in India though, I know - anything under 23.9 is "barely gold" in some circles :lol-2:

Lol it is SUCH a task to get 14kt here, I know you know the struggle :lol: my jeweler calls it “fashion jewelry” when he’s in a mood or “gifting jewelry”, as in, the less-expensive stuff you give as gifts for the myriad occasions where you MUST give a piece of jewelry but don’t want to spend the earth (eg as a wedding present to a distant family member); and the very few times I’ve gotten him to make me something in 14kt it’s been like pulling teeth. If I get something made with diamonds it’s 18kt as standard, and the only questions I ever get asked are what colour I want:lol:

As an update: I have decided to put this project on hold for this year and pick it up perhaps next year. It’s a bit more than I wanted to spend considering I have so many things on the wish list at the moment. I don’t think the price is bad - comes to around $7.5k for 18kt WG - but it’s still a pretty chunk of change. So I think for now I will wait since there’s some things I kind of want more :)

Almost a year to the day and I’m picking up my diamond hoops project! I’m super excited!!

Went to the jeweler today and tried on a bunch of different things and finally settled on my plan:

- 18kt WG (rhodium plated)
- round inside out hoops
- 1.5inch diameter
- each stone 30pts ( ~12ctw)
- ECs, all NS orientation
- FG VS

Tried multiple shapes, multiple orientations etc but nothing looked as good as the ECs. I also tried mrb hoops but they didn’t excite me as much so I’ll stick with the ECs!

Thanks for weighing in everyone :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 3cttw inside outside oval hoops but lately I’ve been wearing plain 35mm YG hoops.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore hoop earrings and enjoy wearing different variations on the similar hoop theme. Makes me feel sassy. And to answer the question yes, they are a staple in my jewelry wardrobe despite having many many earrings I reach for my diamond hoops very often

My most comfy and versatile pair...I wear these a lot

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 7.30.23 AM.png

A larger pair that is lightweight when I just have a need for big hoops

diamondhoops.jpg

I don't have photos unfortunately of most of my hoop earrings but here's one more I do have a photo of...these are heavy for me but very blingy IRL. I bought them 20 years ago before I realized I cannot do heavy earrings so unfortunately these remain unworn. I will end up giving these to my sister. I have been giving her the earrings I no longer wear because it is a shame to have them just sit in the safe unworn and unloved

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 7.49.06 AM.png
hoopearrings.jpg

I adore hoop earrings and enjoy wearing different variations on the similar hoop theme. Makes me feel sassy. And to answer the question yes, they are a staple in my jewelry wardrobe despite having many many earrings I reach for my diamond hoops very often

diamondhoops.jpg

I don't have photos unfortunately of most of my hoop earrings but here's one more I do have a photo of...these are heavy for me but very blingy IRL. I bought them 20 years ago before I realized I cannot do heavy earrings so unfortunately these remain unworn. I will end up giving these to my sister. I have been giving her the earrings I no longer wear because it is a shame to have them just sit in the safe unworn and unloved

hoopearrings.jpg

I love your style @missy! I’m excited to get mine ready - they’re currently a bit behind schedule but I should have them by end March.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
I love them! Mine are oval shaped, 0.30 ct each (total weight 11 cttw!) and I wear them everyday. They are 2 inches in length and Not too heavy (18 karat white gold). I feel so sexy and elegant when I wear them. And boy do they sparkle! Women will stop me and say, I noticed your hoops from across the room! What I love most about them is the way that they were made, they lay on my ears almost sideways so that the diamonds in the back are always visible.
@Wink this is for you
B77B12DC-5ADB-47A0-B832-9F373916AF49.jpeg
56635471-D8B2-4AD1-8AC2-CA5E2436ABA3.jpeg

These are stunning

concun

Shiny_Rock
I have hoops in all sizes, plain gold, diamonds. You name it. I do not wear them but I can’t get rid of them because they are classic and I am pretty sure that the moment they are gone, I will feel like I need them again, lol.
Anyway, if I ever wear hoops, it will be a pair of 3 stone huggies, 0.7 to 1 carat each stone… yeah… keep dreaming…

I have hoops in all sizes, plain gold, diamonds. You name it. I do not wear them but I can’t get rid of them because they are classic and I am pretty sure that the moment they are gone, I will feel like I need them again, lol.
Anyway, if I ever wear hoops, it will be a pair of 3 stone huggies, 0.7 to 1 carat each stone… yeah… keep dreaming…

0.7-1ct each sounds like the dream! I wish I could afford those - I'd wear them in a heartbeat!!

ashdawnp

Rough_Rock
I love curved hoop earrings. Both Tiffany and Cartier offer them (although I bought a non-branded pair for less). To me, these or any other diamond hoops will always be classic and beautiful.

inside-out-hoop-earrings-11857035_1016240_ED.jpg

inside-out-hoop-earrings-11857035_1026075_SV_1.jpg

How many mm is your earrings

ashdawnp

Rough_Rock

diamondhoops.jpg

hoopearrings.jpg

How many mm wide are your stones in your hoop earrings the inside out ones and how many mm are the earrings themselves

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many mm wide are your stones in your hoop earrings the inside out ones and how many mm are the earrings themselves

Off the top of my head they are about 1.25" in diameter..I do not remember the size of the stones, sorry. I do not have my calipers here either...they are back in NYC. If I had to guess I would say 8 pointers. These are my favorite hoops because they are lightweight and IMO have the perfect presence

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results