shape
carat
color
clarity

DO not fear VERY strong fluorescence (because it''s beautiful)!

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
Sara, thanks for the reply, the haze thing sounds so cool! Yes, it''s something differentfor sure, and for a RHR I''d love it!

Wishingstar, there are lots of great threads on this forum about fluorescence for more info. Let me precede my comments by saying I''m not a gemologist; I''m just a consumer who decided to do a LOT of research. I''m lucky enought to be near the NYC Diamond District, where I have looked at a lot of stones lately (thought I ended up buying my fluoro stone from Whiteflash). I saw the stone on Blue Nile, but Blue Nile couldn''t tell me anything about the stone''s appearance so I got the GIA number and asked WF to source it, frankly.

It is NOT easy to find milky/oily fluorescent stones (this statement is based on both stones I saw, and the 1997 GIA fluorescence study which you can find links to on the GIA site or via Pricescope). But I can see how it would be upsetting to a consumer if you got a milky stone without expecting it. That''s why I was happy buying through WF (and also knowing that the stone was refundable). If you choose a good vendor, they will be able to tell you, from a gemologist''s standpoint, whether a stone is milky in bright sun or at all, ever. But I looked at over 25-30 fluorescent stones and couldn''t find one overblue one. Either it was just luck, or this phenomenon is rare. Even on this forum there is some disagreement on how common milkiness is with fluoro stones.

As for strong fluoro in a colorless (D/E/F) stone, I would buy one in a heartbeat BUT THIS IS SUBJECTIVE. My earring studs are F color and one of them is strongly fluorescent. The effect is subtle, but there. It''s subtle for sure, because it''s not like people think "Oh my goodness, that woman has one blue earring and one white one!" . It''s not like that at all. My recommendation, if this is possible, is go to a local jeweler and ask to see one (a near-colorless stone with fluoro). and see it in the sun to see how YOU like it. Everyone has a different preference for clarity, color, and level of fluorescence too. For me, I adore the blue effects, and the nice percentage discount is a terrific bonus. Good luck to you.

P.S. I have noticed issues with the Search functionality on Pricescope lately. When it''s beck up, just search for "strong blue" (don''t type in the quotes) and you''ll find a lot of good info.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 6:40:50 AM
Author: sarap333
CCL, I agree with you 100% -- that stone is incredible. Is this the type of stone that holds its blue color across different lighting conditions (as compared with the fluoro more typically seen that fades once out of black light or sunlight)?

zhuzhu, I didn't know your stone had fluorescence! That must look wonderful with the blue sapphires surrounding your stone!

TotalNewbie, thanks for starting this thread -- yes, my stone has fluorescence. It's also an eye-clean I1, so it's really a 'natural wonder'! I'd like to upgrade in size someday, but this stone will be very difficult to give up...

A photo:

Agghhh, PS is not allowing me to upload photos!
It doesn't have Phosphorescence, and it usually is most evident in light with strong UV just like Fluoro caused by Boron.
The photograph has enhanced blue so its really not that dark and appears as more of a haze in strong UV light.

wishingstar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 8:54:57 AM
Author: TotalNewbie
Sara, thanks for the reply, the haze thing sounds so cool! Yes, it''s something differentfor sure, and for a RHR I''d love it!

Wishingstar, there are lots of great threads on this forum about fluorescence for more info. Let me precede my comments by saying I''m not a gemologist; I''m just a consumer who decided to do a LOT of research. I''m lucky enought to be near the NYC Diamond District, where I have looked at a lot of stones lately (thought I ended up buying my fluoro stone from Whiteflash). I saw the stone on Blue Nile, but Blue Nile couldn''t tell me anything about the stone''s appearance so I got the GIA number and asked WF to source it, frankly.

It is NOT easy to find milky/oily fluorescent stones (this statement is based on both stones I saw, and the 1997 GIA fluorescence study which you can find links to on the GIA site or via Pricescope). But I can see how it would be upsetting to a consumer if you got a milky stone without expecting it. That''s why I was happy buying through WF (and also knowing that the stone was refundable). If you choose a good vendor, they will be able to tell you, from a gemologist''s standpoint, whether a stone is milky in bright sun or at all, ever. But I looked at over 25-30 fluorescent stones and couldn''t find one overblue one. Either it was just luck, or this phenomenon is rare. Even on this forum there is some disagreement on how common milkiness is with fluoro stones.

As for strong fluoro in a colorless (D/E/F) stone, I would buy one in a heartbeat BUT THIS IS SUBJECTIVE. My earring studs are F color and one of them is strongly fluorescent. The effect is subtle, but there. It''s subtle for sure, because it''s not like people think ''Oh my goodness, that woman has one blue earring and one white one!'' . It''s not like that at all. My recommendation, if this is possible, is go to a local jeweler and ask to see one (a near-colorless stone with fluoro). and see it in the sun to see how YOU like it. Everyone has a different preference for clarity, color, and level of fluorescence too. For me, I adore the blue effects, and the nice percentage discount is a terrific bonus. Good luck to you.

P.S. I have noticed issues with the Search functionality on Pricescope lately. When it''s beck up, just search for ''strong blue'' (don''t type in the quotes) and you''ll find a lot of good info.
thanks Sara and TN ... will have to locate one locally and compare for myself then!

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
And now, a mounted pic with a UV light shining directly at it! (There''s a thread w/ more pics under Show Me The Bling)

Ering70.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THAT is an incredibly cool photo!!

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
And another (with UV light)... love the arrows!

Ering82.jpg

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, yssie! None of the melee are significantly fluorescent, which adds to the effect under UV (I thinkl)

spicytuna

Rough_Rock
Those are great photos! I love the last photo with the faint blue/violet hue it shows off. VERRRRY NICE!

Mine is also strong blue I/J -- and I love it! (Don''t worry, my hands aren''t really dark purple --it was just the UV box that made me look like that!)

Fluorescence.jpg

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
VERY cool, spicytuna! We should go clubbing together and light up the club with our rings :)

One more...

Ering90.jpg

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 3:25:13 AM
Author: wishingstar

Date: 4/29/2010 9:14:07 AM
Author:TotalNewbie
do not fear STRONG BLUE and VERY STRONG BLUE FLUROESCENCE as long as you have a good vendor who can check the stone for whether it''s overblue (which is rare anyway).
Thank you for for this thread, it''s really helpful to my research!I ''m quite new on PS and am searching for a nice upgrade. I too seem to be leaning towards a fluro stone, I''m love that blue-white color and the price will allow a larger stone. I just have a couple of questions for all you fluro lovers.

1) is it hard to find non-milky fluros and if they look milky, is it only in certain lighting or would it be milky in general?
2) I noticed that the stones mentioned are in the I-J color, what do you think about fluro in colorless stones (D/F or G)? As I know that the fluro helps whiten the appearance of lower colors, would it have negative effects on a higher color or not have any effect?
Haziness is only rarely a problem in fluor stones. There is probably an almost identical proportion of non-flour stones that have haziness.

Fluor is *believed* by many people to have a negative effect on the D-F colours. I disagree. I think that it is no worse or better than in lower colours. However, it is possible that in some lighting conditions, fluor can help improve the colour grade of near-colourless stones, since blue and yellow are complementary colours and therefore the blue may mask some of the slight yellow tint in a near-colourless stone.
In my experience, with D-F colour stones, SB or VSB fluor adds an extra icy hint to an already icy white. Also in my experience, fluor is not as consistently graded as other diamond qualities (it''s almost like an afterthought mention on the certificates); I have several D-F stones with SBF or VSBF, but the VSBF stones aren''t always the most fluorescent in sunlight - perhaps due to the UV wavelength(s) used in the lab being a different combination to the UV wavelengths in sunlight.

If you put a non-fluor D beside a SBF D or VSBF D, then look at them for a few seconds, the non-fluor stone will start to look slightly yellow tinted - presumably because your eyes are de-sensitized to blue by the VSB stone and therefore when you look at the non-fluor stone, your eyes subtract some blue and it apears slightly yellow.
It''s a great way to panic someone into thinking that their non-fluor D has been is-graded.
23.gif
32.gif
11.gif
27.gif

Parisja

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate the information on fluorescence as I have a 1 CT Cut Cornered Square Modified Brilliant with strong fluorescence. J , VVS2 , Very Good Symmetry and Excellent polish ... It is a beautiful diamond and believe that I have taken the J color for granted as white when really it is the fluorescence doing that for me. Lots of Blue flashes ... BUT I can say that if anytime that I''m abit unhappy is in daylight when I think I see a glob of light yellow in my stone. I blame it on my old eyes thinking with reading glasses it looks better. I was even contemplating when the time was right and money in hand I would trade up for a better color. Guess I will re-think that and obviously like the idea that fluorescence is not in abundance!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Re: DO not fear VERY strong fluorescence (because it''s beau

My 1.52 bezel-set solitair with (very) strong blue fluorescence.

P1030187.JPG

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock

ooooh, I like it! zhuzhu, do you also have a photo of that ring in normal lighting?

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Nice photo, zhuzhu! I have to get my own black light one of these days and take some photos!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Nice thread and interesting comments on one of my favorite things in a nice diamond.

Here is the link to the GIA report on fluorescence.

http://lgdl.gia.edu/pdfs/W97_fluoresce.pdf

Wink

Smoothie

Rough_Rock

How would a Medium Blue, I colour compare to a stone with no fluor in H colour. Both would be 1ct round brilliant, excellent cut, both with good HCA scores and eyeclean.

The stone would be set in a 19k white gold band with micropave stones in G colour. Would I notice a blue tint to the I coloured stone, or would it appear whiter than the I colour would suggest.

Thanks!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Smoothie said:
How would a Medium Blue, I colour compare to a stone with no fluor in H colour. Both would be 1ct round brilliant, excellent cut, both with good HCA scores and eyeclean.

The stone would be set in a 19k white gold band with micropave stones in G colour. Would I notice a blue tint to the I coloured stone, or would it appear whiter than the I colour would suggest.

Thanks!!

Unless you were in the presence of a fluorescent light you would probably see no difference, even out of doors.

wink

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock

Thx for the link, zhuzhu. Love the stone -- gorgeous cut, with fluroro to boot. Sweet!

looking4d

Rough_Rock

Got to this thread from the other thread.
I think its pretty cool, I always wanted a strong fluor. ring because I think its cool to have something that glows, it would be like Green Lantern's ring.
But not sure how the girlfriend would think of it.

Question on the picture in the first post: (lets see if I can do this)
file.jpg

Both stones are the same size? (no offense intended!) :oops:
It looks like the top one is a bit bigger...am I imagining it?

The photo is taken with sun...the top stone seems a lot darker (not shiny) than the bottom one.
Is this because the fluor makes it sparkle more? (although I thought fluor mainly affects color)

I know most of you said that strong fluor rarely appears hazy, but from another site:
"you might have read about a certain GIA study claiming that even strong blue fluorescence is almost always entirely imperceptible to the average diamond consumer.
I can tell you with absolute certainty, that their research is bunk. I have seen tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of diamonds in my career and I can tell you without question the following: Strong/Very Strong Blue Fluorescent diamonds usually appear hazy"

This makes me slightly concerned.
Thanks for all the info.

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock

Hi looking4d,

Both diamonds are 1.34ct with almost the same dimensions. It's the halo on the top mounted diamond that makes it look larger.

The top stone has always looked darker. I don't know why it looks that much darker with just one color grade difference, but I wanted to share the difference in the photo with others. I'm just a diamond amateur. But these photos are an accurate representation of how different the two stones look IRL.

The strong fluoro stone in the pic NEVER looks hazy, but you can definitely detect a baby blue hue to it in bright sun (and since I live in Bermuda part-year, there's a lot of sun and it appears baby blue a lot :D ).

iota15

Brilliant_Rock

There's probably also a difference in cut, which makes the I colored one look brighter.

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock

They're both non-branded H&A,both GIA ex/ex/ex. I should add that I enjoy both stones, but probably prefer the fluoro one

tinatark

Shiny_Rock

proto

Shiny_Rock

Necro, but didnt want to start a whole new thread.

Found this diamond while browsing for kicks and it looks like an absolute bargain.

0.9 E VS1

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5015056-0.90-carat-Round-diamond-E-color-VS1-clarity.aspx

http://images.b2cjewels.com/Images//Certificate//5015056.pdf

Optically, the contrast and pattern looks good (to me anyway)

The price is astonishingly good imo.

HCA gives it 0.9 TIC

only negatives are very strong fluorescence, a slightly small table, slightly thick faceted, and internal graining.

Would any prosumers / knowledgeable diamond purchasers consider this stone, assuming B2C confirmed no negative effects or only mildly negative effects of fluorescence? Would ask for scope images etc the usual.

$4,570 seems a bargain, doesnt it???

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

proto|1400408573|3675372 said:
Necro, but didnt want to start a whole new thread.

Found this diamond while browsing for kicks and it looks like an absolute bargain.

0.9 E VS1

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5015056-0.90-carat-Round-diamond-E-color-VS1-clarity.aspx

http://images.b2cjewels.com/Images//Certificate//5015056.pdf

Optically, the contrast and pattern looks good (to me anyway)

The price is astonishingly good imo.

HCA gives it 0.9 TIC

only negatives are very strong fluorescence, a slightly small table, slightly thick faceted, and internal graining.

Would any prosumers / knowledgeable diamond purchasers consider this stone, assuming B2C confirmed no negative effects or only mildly negative effects of fluorescence? Would ask for scope images etc the usual.

$4,570 seems a bargain, doesnt it???

It is a very interesting stone Proto, I am glad you posted it!

My thoughts, yes, I think it's absolutely worth further consideration for someone that wants a well cut diamond but doesn't need the precision of a h&a, although this diamond has h&a images, it isn't sold as an example of that precision cutting style as far as I can see, nor should it be in my opinion.

The girdle measurement is spot on being slightly thick, no problems there, table size is absolutely fine too, internal graining is also not an issue and VS1 clarity very nice indeed, that would please The Diamond Seeker!

I think that could be a lovely diamond Proto assuming the above mentioned VSB checks out and if the wearer might get a kick out of seeing the fluorescence on occasion. I would suggest that an appraiser checks this diamond to make sure there are no hazy or milky effects from the VSB, if not, then it could be a great choice, it's a lot of diamond for the money.

As it's an E with VSB fluorescence, this is probably driving the price to be what it is, assuming there are no negative effects from the VSB and a trusted vendor or appraiser has verified that, it could be well worth further consideration for a ring or pendant stone even.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VERY cool! I wish my J had MBF-SBF... When I was under the UV light for gel nails, I noticed that a few of the pave stones in my setting fluoresce blue and PINK! ...pretty cool! =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results