shape
carat
color
clarity

Do AVC's have a larger face-up spread than other cushions?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do AVC's have a larger face-up spread than other cushions of similar carat weight?

If you own one do you think that they are worth the premium price?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Do AVC's have a larger face-up spread than other cushion

I have looked at some and they did face up larger than many other types of cushions. But you just have to compare them to some other antique cushions when you are looking to see about a specific stone.

I have an AVR and I have seen some AVCs in person, and for me, it was worth the premium. I think I could find an OEC that I'd love, but great antique cushions are very hard to find, so AVCs would be a more likely purchase for me than an antique.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I dont know about the spread vs other cushions. Cushions can have varying spread. A bigger stone can have a lousy cut though. I think it is absolutely worth the cost if you like this particular type of cut, want optimal cut, and you dont care about it being cut recently. Some people want the charm of it being cut back in the old days and are not bothered by it not having ideal light performance.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It depends, most old cut cushions are relatively deep, many being deeper than AVCs so their spread is smaller, many modern cushions are not as deep so they have a better spread than AVCs, it depends on what type of cushions you are talking about.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

On the subject of spread yes it does depend as arkieb said. There are modern faceted cushions that are cut too shallow and will thus have a larger spread but at the expense of optical properties. The sacrifice generally comes in the form of extraneous light leakage as demonstrated via optical technologies like IdealScope/FireScope, AGS PGS and/or ASET analysis. Extraneous leakage results in a few adverse optical effects.

1. Loss of brightness.
2. Loss of fire
3. Color retention making a diamond appear more yellow/brown/gray than a diamond with ideal optics which would face up whiter in natural lighting.

All the best,
Rhino

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have an AVC, and yes absolutely I think it's worth every penny. It's a rainbow light show - and so crisp and bright!

Rena7

Shiny_Rock

I have an AVC myself that I was fortunate enough to find pre owned. I had never seen one in person, now that I have I would feel comfortable paying the extra cost. They really are gorgeous stones. I have never compared the spread of mine to any other cushion so I can't comment on that.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Octo2005|1467423485|4050663 said:
Do AVC's have a larger face-up spread than other cushions of similar carat weight?

If you own one do you think that they are worth the premium price?

Some AVCs may have a larger face-up spread as compared to other non-AVCs, but some may not -- you'd have to compare specific stones.

I did buy a GOG AVC several years ago, but in person found the Maltese Cross too prominent and the AVC I had chosen was a warm color (M) which was also not pleasing to my eyes, so I returned it.

Today, if I were to buy an antique/antique-style Cushion, I'd probably go with a high-color Yoram-cut cushion from Diamonds by Lauren as opposed to an AVC or a Canera Antique Cushion.

If your budget permits, purchase the AVC and have it shipped loose to you so you can examine it in various lighting conditions while still in the return period; this way, you can determine for yourself if the AVC sings to you.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I would also suggest looking at the avc star. I personally prefer the star... the cross is not as pronounced on them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results