shape
carat
color
clarity

DM for price! And other IG sales tactics that suck.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think some IG sellers have diamonds and gems that sell so fast- they prefer to deal with buyers who's least concern is price. It's a great job- if you can get it. =)2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that because I’m so used to EBay deals that I’ve gotten, the prices these vendors DM with is waaaaaay out of any reasonable range I would pay.

I’ll tell you that when I see a piece on IG, I go and check EBay to see if they bought it there and 99% of the time I can’t buy the piece because I can’t justify paying $1,800 for an item they paid $400 for.

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that because I’m so used to EBay deals that I’ve gotten, the prices these vendors DM with is waaaaaay out of any reasonable range I would pay.

I’ll tell you that when I see a piece on IG I go and check EBay to see if they bought it there and 99% of the time I can’t buy the piece because I can’t justify paying $1,800 for an item they paid $400 for.

So true. I think many people would be surprised to find the piece that they bought from an amazing IG seller was originally sold on Ebay. To some people Ebay means junk, but in reality there are a lot of nice items sold at a fraction of their original cost.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
So true. I think many people would be surprised to find the piece that they bought from an amazing IG seller was originally sold on Ebay. To some people Ebay means junk, but in reality there are a lot of nice items sold at a fraction of their original cost.

I love eBay! Just takes more effort to sift. But this is interesting because I thought some of these IG vendors mainly found things in person that they picked through. Most of the ones I am following are in LA. But this is very interesting and I will make a mental note to look up the item to see if it’s found there :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and then I feel funny about what to say if I am not interested in pursuing further. Do I just say thank you and leave it be. Or do I say thank you but it isn't for me? I hate being radio silent but I generally just say thank you and nothing else. Hopefully that is the correct etiquette. I always want to explain and not leave things like that but I feel that is the most efficient use of time. I mean if one just says thank you I think (hope) it is apparent one isn't interested in pursuing further. Yet somehow I always feel bad about just saying thank you and leaving it like that. LOL. Please just list the prices so we don't have to message for them. ::)

I always feel weird about it too but I usually say thanks, I'll get back to you if I like it. Or something like that. If I don't like it or out of reasonable range, usually I'll just thank them.

I’ll tell you that when I see a piece on IG, I go and check EBay to see if they bought it there and 99% of the time I can’t buy the piece because I can’t justify paying $1,800 for an item they paid $400 for.

eBay gives me a headache to look at! I have tried but it is so visually hard to sift through at all. I do think that they can pick up a lot of inventory from traditional online auctions as well that are not on eBay, through some of the auction houses. Those are easier to look at for me.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate having to DM vendors for the price. I feel like most of the time I am wasting their (and my) time because the price is over what I wanted to pay and generally much higher than what I would even consider. That's why I would prefer to see the price listed so I wouldn't need to bother the vendors if it is completely out of my price range. It's annoying IMO to have to contact them needlessly.

IMO transparency is the most professional and efficient way to go about running one's business. I respect that when everything is above board and prices listed for all to see. I respect that in business and respect that in politics (so rare) and respect that in real every day life too.

Amen, don't waste my time and yours. If you want to sell it, price it or I am not interested

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually won't use instagram (I don't even have an account) But I do see that people do and have success with it.

But I do have a question, does instagram even charge the seller a fee for listing items? if not, it could be why so many more use it over Etsy or Ebay.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I actually won't use instagram (I don't even have an account) But I do see that people do and have success with it.

But I do have a question, does instagram even charge the seller a fee for listing items? if not, it could be why so many more use it over Etsy or Ebay.

I don’t think they do with the way some sellers work (post a piece and then email you paypal invoice). I know some sellers have IG link to their websites and one IG seller noted her profile was personal, not professional so she didn’t have all the features.

How could IG even keep track of that? My bet is that’s part of how some sellers keep their pricing lower.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IG recently introduced buying through their app, but I haven’t seen it used that much. A lot of sellers still have their own sites or use Etsy, and the Etsy ones will sometimes offer IG pricing since they don’t have Etsy fees when they collect payment via PayPal. Others offer a lower price on IG to save themselves the trouble of creating a formal product listing.

Interesting thing is that a local jeweler does most of their business through their brick and mortar stores, but customers coming to their website through IG spend more per purchase than when they come through an email link or by typing the web address directly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results