shape
carat
color
clarity

DM for price! And other IG sales tactics that suck.

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by JPie, May 19, 2019.

1. tjkswift
    Rough_Rock

by tjkswift » Jun 19, 2019
    Screenshot_20190619-202751_Instagram.jpg check out third response I received from this vendor after corresponding with him between may 29 and today about 5 different stones regarding 3 different projects.

Rfisher, autumngems and KristyDarling like this.
  2. eapj
    Shiny_Rock

by eapj » Jun 19, 2019
    Wow. I haven't corresponded with this vendor but this makes me less inclined to ever do so.

D&T, autumngems and tjkswift like this.
  3. tjkswift
    Rough_Rock

by tjkswift » Jun 19, 2019
    And if you do, you'd better be ready to buy even if it's not what you're looking for lol.

autumngems likes this.
  4. bludiva
    Brilliant_Rock

by bludiva » Jun 19, 2019
    That's so disappointing, I follow his feed and often see things I like. If he doesnt have tine to answer a series of messages from someone considering a 10k+ sale he must not need the business and there is someone out there who will be more helpful and deserving.

5. tjkswift
    Rough_Rock

by tjkswift » Jun 20, 2019
    You're right..... there's plenty of other sellers that would be interested in my 20k purchase, but his response did indeed catch me off guard.

autumngems likes this.
  6. KristyDarling
    Ideal_Rock

by KristyDarling » Jun 20, 2019
    WOW. That is unbelievably rude! Unfollowing him now.

D&T, kayla17, autumngems and 2 others like this.
  7. elizat
    Brilliant_Rock

by elizat » Jun 20, 2019
    That's a crappy response to you. It was rude.

I think these sellers would do so much better in screening and answering questions if they said something like stone is priced above $15k or priced under $10k or whatever, so there is a bit of guidance. Buying a piece that's in that range is not a split second decision for most.

Or! Just put the price in the post with all details! He does that with some items. Why not do it with all? It would save him and buyers time.

I think this comes down to him being more a dealer than a jeweler. I am not defending the response, because it's rude and not okay, but I think stone sales dealer to dealer or dealer to jeweler to make a piece are less involved and have less questions.

But if you don't want to sell to the consumer directly, don't advertise to the consumer directly. Or put on your bio inventory only available to trade. Easy solution and other vendors do that.

D&T, JPie, autumngems and 4 others like this.
  8. Rfisher
    Brilliant_Rock

by Rfisher » Jun 20, 2019
    In his mind - it’s not rude for him to do so- I’m sure. It’s just business.
    He covered that by asking if he could be honest, first?!?
    Ha!

bludiva, tjkswift and KristyDarling like this.
  9. autumngems
    Brilliant_Rock

by autumngems » Jun 20, 2019
    Tjkswift,
    I am sooo glad you posted that. I have contacted him several times and he has been very rude but I was hesitant to mention it as several people rave about him here and I didn't want to get bashed. You can have great stuff, but if your rude, I quit.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  10. JPie
    Brilliant_Rock

by JPie » Jun 20, 2019
    @tjkswift & @autumngems thank you both for sharing your experiences. I've praised Alex in the past, but clearly not everyone was delighted working with him and it's important to speak freely so others can decide for themselves if he's the right vendor for them.

11. Nikki1415
    Shiny_Rock

by Nikki1415 » Jun 20, 2019
    I have messaged him about some diamonds and he wasn't directly rude to me. His responses throw me off though because he would post something that I'm interested in and he never has the stone in hand to give details (he posts everything when his store is closed and he doesn't have access to it). By the time that he responds, someone put the diamond on hold without waiting for the details. I want to work with him in a few months (when I have bling money) because he does beautiful work, great prices, and nice diamonds. When I know my budget I'll contact him directly and go to his store because messaging him is kind of irritating hahaha.

12. the_mother_thing
    Ideal_Rock

by the_mother_thing » Jun 23, 2019
    Here is - IMO - an example of a vendor who does IG right!
    4E343CC6-94F1-42E9-A60A-DEC26CC3A95D.jpeg
    Commentary about the items posted, deets & pricing easily available by tapping the image, item number to find it on the website for more details & images, etc. Well done DBL! :clap:

D&T, bludiva, kipari and 8 others like this.
  13. Asscherhalo_lover
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Asscherhalo_lover » Jun 23, 2019
    Thank you!!! All of that tagging and data entry is a labor of love :loopy:

14. Calliecake
    Ideal_Rock

by Calliecake » Jun 24, 2019
    I had a wonderful experience buying with ladyloveliescurio. She had two rings that I feel In the love with the settings immediately. If the one ring hadn’t already sold I would have gladly paid double her asking price for the ring. I had never seen a ring like this and knew I would likely not see one like it again. I wished she would have been able to make a reproduction of the ring. I seriously just wanted the ring that bad. The only other ring I loved this much was @redwood66 diamond and ruby ring that she sold. That is another ring I loved so much I would have gladly paid more for it.

I found ladylovliescurio to be kind and accurate with the description. She also posted a picture of the ring on her finger and stated her finger size which I also found helpful at the time.

I’ve called Walton’s Jewelry a couple times asking for a price and a photo of the ring on an actual finger. They have always bent over backward to help and were extremely kind.