shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW DIY Hammered 7.5mm Yellow Gold Wedding Band

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Dave Atlas, Pricescope, and David Klass for this beautiful wedding band that I will put on my fiancé's finger this upcoming June 22nd in Ireland! I had won a $250 gift certificate sponsored by Dave Atlas last year at the Pricescope get-together in Vegas that I finally used!

I went to try on wedding bands with my fiancé immediately after we got engaged, so he can have a look-see at his own bling. We always thought he would get a white metal, but his very pale skin looked much more alive with yellow gold. The first band he fell in love with was a hammered band at Lang's Antiques (in the contemporary section). From there, hammered yellow gold bands were all we looked at. We tried on all widths-- from 5mm to 13mm. He liked the 6 to 8mm range, so I chose 7.5mm.

I loved the idea of making a band myself. I sought out a few jewelers to see who can assist me. DK pulled a {H U G E} favor for me to enter his bench, and do the hand hammering myself on the band. This way, I felt like I helped to make it. Like this wasn't just my money, but also my love and hard work that went into creating the symbol of us forever.

The bench jeweler first handed me a hammer, but the hammer created a larger flatter "dink" per hit. So he helped me create a make-shift "hammer" using a few tools. This resulted in tiny little round "dinks" in the band. This resulted in less of a perfect appearance, and more of an organic look that we loved.

My fiancé is totally in love with the band, and it is just so rich and beautiful. The 7.5mm comfort fit resulted in a hefty 15.1 grams of 18k yellow gold. It feels so luxurious.

Pictures in following posts.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before hammering, the band was made with machine-made "hammering" finish.

_2690.jpeg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bench jeweler showing me how to hammer.

_2691.jpeg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The make-shift tool to hammer with, and some of the tinier "dinks" I made

_2692.jpeg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me working hard!

_2693.jpeg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Machine hammering on the left vs. my additional hand hammering on the right. The result are smaller "dinks" that are deeper and more random/organic.

_2694.jpeg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOOOH!!! that's perfect!! I like the details you put in to it. Such a gift of love to add the special personal connection to a band he will wear forever!

My DH has a 5mm (or is it 6mm??) yg band that was once milgrained on the edges, too, when we were married 30+ years ago... on... JUNE 22, 1985!!! So, you have chosen a great wedding day, in my unbiased opinion! :halo:

And all but 4 of those years, it has rained on our anniversary! Hoping your Ireland wedding is dry and sunny!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1459372334|4013325 said:
OOOOH!!! that's perfect!! I like the details you put in to it. Such a gift of love to add the special personal connection to a band he will wear forever!

My DH has a 5mm (or is it 6mm??) yg band that was once milgrained on the edges, too, when we were married 30+ years ago... on... JUNE 22, 1985!!! So, you have chosen a great wedding day, in my unbiased opinion! :halo:

And all but 4 of those years, it has rained on our anniversary! Hoping your Ireland wedding is dry and sunny!

Aw we will share anniversaries! YAY! :bigsmile:

I hear rain on your wedding day is good luck!

I can't wait.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if it is good luck, we must have had the luckiest 30+ years ever :lol: :lol: :lol:

Toronto, Ontario had QUITE the torrential downpour on our wedding day!! The street gutters filled to overflowing within about a half hour! There was flooding on the streets and it was quite dark from about 2pm onwards and let up only briefly in the evening. I thought I saw an old man with a beard named Noah, stacks of wood and a few pairs of animals, in the distance!!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is seriously awesome! :love: :love: :love:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
So cool that you had a part in the making of your husband to be's wedding band, which turned out beautifully. Congrats and happy upcoming wedding to you and your fiance!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
_lovesvintage_ said:
So cool that you had a part in the making of your husband to be's wedding band, which turned out beautifully. Congrats and happy upcoming wedding to you and your fiance!
^^^This! Congratulations!!!!

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How beautiful and so very special! I know you will love seeing it on his hand, and he will love the work you did for him!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
How neat that you got to be part of the process. Really handsome ring, too! Congratulations on the win and the upcoming nuptials!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this - so incredibly meaningful. I am so impressed with how thoughtful you are, Madelise!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very sweet!

Funny how you felt white metal didn't look good on him. I did something quite similar which resulted in a think gold band for my hubby.

So many men don't even think about what will look good with their skin tone, I feel like. They have an idea in there head and that's that.

I'm glad he decided yg was right for him it's so lux.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Really lovely wedding band for your intended. So cool that you got to help make it.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1459390258|4013504 said:
I love this - so incredibly meaningful. I am so impressed with how thoughtful you are, Madelise!

Thank you. He really deserves it. He is the best thing to ever happen to me, and a 180 difference from what I could've ended up with. He deserves nothing but the best, and the way I know how to show it is through jewelry! :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1459390974|4013508 said:
Very sweet!

Funny how you felt white metal didn't look good on him. I did something quite similar which resulted in a think gold band for my hubby.

So many men don't even think about what will look good with their skin tone, I feel like. They have an idea in there head and that's that.

I totally thought white metals would look better on him since he's cool-toned. But because he is TOO cool toned, it actually looked worse. He is white with pink undertones, a classic grown up ginger. His sister also wears YG, and I realized she probably went with the same conclusion (she's actually more pale with even lighter red hair).

You're right-- YG does look luxe. It also looks "real". With all these alternative metals (tungsten, stainless steel, etc.) being white colored as well.. Yellow gold just feels different. All his friends have white metals.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the sweetest ever! I adore his ring in every way. The added non-uniform dinks as you call them make the ring look original and a tad rustic but in a luxurious way. It's perfect! Would love to see hand shots on your soon to be hubby after the wedding! :naughty: :appl:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is so sweet of you! His ring is now truly one of a kind. I love the sentimentality of it :clap:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that you did this! It's such a personal touch :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madelise, what a gorgeous ring for your FI and I LOVE how special you made this ring for him and the both of you as a couple. Well done my dear and wishing you all the best in your upcoming marriage. A lifetime of love and happiness and blingy good health. :appl:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very wonderful and meaningful! It's beautiful.

Very excited for you!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning result. I love the personal touch you added to the ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1459395831|4013539 said:
Niel|1459390974|4013508 said:
Very sweet!

I totally thought white metals would look better on him since he's cool-toned. But because he is TOO cool toned, it actually looked worse. He is white with pink undertones, a classic grown up ginger. His sister also wears YG, and I realized she probably went with the same conclusion (she's actually more pale with even lighter red hair).

You're right-- YG does look luxe. It also looks "real". With all these alternative metals (tungsten, stainless steel, etc.) being white colored as well.. Yellow gold just feels different. All his friends have white metals.

Gingers make the best husbands! :clap: :lol:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1459371577|4013310 said:
Before hammering, the band was made with machine-made "hammering" finish.
I love everything about this ring! It is so gorgeous and rich looking. I love that you added your personal touch to it.

On a side note, your nails are amazing!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I love this! May he wear it in happiness and good health!

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
I know I already commented on IG, but this is super duper cool!!! Love it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so sweet that you got to put your own touch on it! You did a great job...it reminds me of an old roman empire type look.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results