shape
carat
color
clarity

Distraught need Opinion Lab vs Mine grown studs for upgrade

Do I trade in my studs and get lab grown at larger size, keep my studs or trade in my studs and keep

• Keep your current studs as they are big enough and you've enjoyed them for 10 years

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • Trade in your studs + $$$ to get lab grown 3 carat studs and know for ever they are lab grown

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Trade in your studs for little money and keep saving thousands of dollars for earth mined studs

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
You’ve got in your head that because they may not live up to the EGL grades they are crappy and that’s not the case. If they are well cut and in fact eye clean then they are desirable and not all crappy. You may not get back what you spent initially but you should get a fair amount for them - much more than $2500. She’d want to help you because she gets a commission for selling. And she’s super well known and people respect her. With her listing them you’d have lots of eyes on them and buyers will feel more comfortable buying from a business rather than an individual. When you get the GIA reports back definitely reach out to her before selling at auction through your boss.

PS - some of my favorite things I own are my 1.47 ctw J studs and my 0.5 I1 Eightstar pendant. Not what would be considered top quality by any means but they are gorgeous and there are lots of buyers like me out there that see the value in well cut stones that are of lower color and clarity.

That does put it in perspective thanks....

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
As someone that can do the same thing that you are doing right now and get wrapped up in upset thoughts, I'm going to suggest that you step away from thinking about this for a minute. All you can do is wait for the grading reports to come back and see what your options are.

I know you are upset about your earrings. I know you are upset about what you spent on them and that you are disappointed that you could not get the upgrade when you wanted it.

But objectively, based upon the other posts, your earrings are not crappy or garbage. I do not know much about modern rounds, because that's not my thing, but people with knowledge have pointed out that they probably will score a GIA excellent cut. Also, if you have enjoyed the earrings for 10 years, it doesn't make them crappy or garbage. I don't own a single piece of jewelry that someone would say is a perfect diamond. Just because something isn't perfect, does not mean that it is garbage or crap. You have enjoyed wearing the earrings for 10 years. That's not the marker of something being crap.

Take a step back, take a step away, and just wait to see what GIA says. If this process is giving you that kind of negative feeling, it might be a good idea to focus on something else for the time being. It's not worth the negative energy or feelings over something like diamond earrings.

Saying that you're earrings are crappy helps nothing. It is just going to make you feel bad, when you have no reason to feel bad.

Thanks I think alot of it is pandemic/covid19 related

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I would get the GIA reports and then try listing again several places online or consigning, and look for places that aren't PS-centric.

is Grace still actually accepting smaller consignments? It looks to me like she’s trending more toward new jewelry or things she bought and is reselling. I emailed last year about consigning several things and never even heard back.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I would get the GIA reports and then try listing again several places online or consigning, and look for places that aren't PS-centric.

is Grace still actually accepting smaller consignments? It looks to me like she’s trending more toward new jewelry or things she bought and is reselling. I emailed last year about consigning several things and never even heard back.

Yes, I think she is. She just accepted a number of items from me that were all under $10,000. I don't know what you would look at as far as a small consignment, but every one of my items was under 10K.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

No, you did not. You replied on Pricescope. You mentioned here that you received an email from me through your Loupetroop listing. Reply to that email if you want to discuss it further.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
Yes local dealer $2500 for the pair

Yikes. For both? Not even each? I would completely cut my losses for that price, keep them (as you've enjoyed them until recently it seems?) and save up longer.

If anyone on PS posted about scoring 2.4 tcw (for what might be 3x) for that price I reckon there'd be quite some celebrating.

Definitely wait for the papers. Everyone here is saying the same thing. Wait, take a deep breath and see what you get and then come back here to see what the potential options are, although most are saying sell privately if you want to get the best outcome. You should probably listen!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please breathe. You've enjoyed your earrings for 10 years. We sometimes discuss price per wear and at 10 years, you've done very well even if they aren't what you want now.

This is not devastating situation. This is a situation where you need to just wait for a couple of weeks to get brand new certs and then explore and weigh up your choices. The drama about your earrings being crappy is just, well crappy. You've worn them and enjoyed them for a decade, clearly they aren't crap. You referring them to as such on here really won't help if and when you do try to sell them. They are simply a piece that you've enjoyed and that you'd now like to sell to afford something else. No different selling a property, car, clothes, whatever because you now want something else.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
You are so right. I have to be calm cool and collected in my real life
i think I needed to be dramatic in my jewelry life lol. I am so lucky to be happily married for 34 years and have 3 amazing healthy kids and an annoying but big career job.
So I am venting here about materialistic things because I can.
I will wait and it this isn’t life threatening or even important but this is fun. My thrill is of the hunt anyway so my hunt will just go down a different path than expected I’ll go meditate nameste

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I am excited for you and hope the certs come back creating a pleasurable outcome. Lets manifest the 3 carats you are wanting. Fingers crossed!

Namaste

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just be patient. Get the GIA grading reports Try to sell them 60-70% of retail, either through consignment or through loupe troop. Sending you dust!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Drum Roll .......................

GIA report

1.20 K1 medium florescence 3x
1.21 J12 3x

so 3x .................................................................................................................

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Drum Roll .......................

GIA report

1.20 K1 medium florescence 3x
1.21 J12 3x

so 3x .................................................................................................................

Yay! 3X - That's great news!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Whats the clarity grades?
If your comfortable posting the report numbers it would help find comps.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Whats the clarity grades?
If your comfortable posting the report numbers it would help find comps.

Dont need comps already got the news
$2000-$2200 per carat
I don't have the report number I only have it from the computer the report will come back with the stones Wednesday

The comps are
K colored stoned $2500
J stone $2200

When I get everything back I think I will go to Gary Michael and ask him to buy back the stones that were sold to me as F Si1 stones and see his response
My interested buying party from loupe troupe is on point with the stone comps so she is interested in my selling her at the earrings 30% discount off the $2000
Id rather keep them myself then and just outright by my new studs

hard lesson learned after my talk with Gary Michael my social media expertise might just come in handy .

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
How do you see that the comps are $2000 per stone not so Yay!

Oh dear, I posted before you mentioned that. That's too bad, I'm sorry to hear that.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My interested buying party from loupe troupe is on point with the stone comps so she is interested in my selling her at the earrings 30% discount off the $2000
Id rather keep them myself then and just outright by my new studs

Maybe try FB marketplace, Craigslist
The real real and Now I Don’t.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if it’s already been suggested but could you just halo them until you can save up for a larger pair? Or get jackets or whatever those are?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if it’s already been suggested but could you just halo them until you can save up for a larger pair? Or get jackets or whatever those are?

Already have beautiful jackets

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Honestly all I am so soured about this. I knew they would be a bit lower EGL to GIA but the one earring Was labeled EGL F and came our K
its laughable.
How can a reputable jewelry store in Gary Michaels in Manalapan, NJ sell something this misrepresented.
Honestly I will never wear those studs again.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly all I am so soured about this. I knew they would be a bit lower EGL to GIA but the one earring Was labeled EGL F and came our K
its laughable.
How can a reputable jewelry store in Gary Michaels in Manalapan, NJ sell something this misrepresented.
Honestly I will never wear those studs again.

It is so enraging that places sell things that are so misrepresented. That is a HUGE difference. And am I interpreting your posts right that they are I1 and I2? I fully believe the vast majority of diamonds people buy are misrepresented by this much - think of everyone buying from mall jewelers and wherever.

wifelife

Rough_Rock
I don’t think n the jeweller misrepresented them. They sold the studs as what they were certified as. It’s just unfortunate that EGL and GIA have such a discrepancy in their grading and you didn’t know that at the time.

If you’ve liked the diamonds as they are visually until now, why let the certification change that? But it obviously sounds like you’re just wanting a new pair of bigger studs, so hopefully something works out for you to achieve that end goal!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I don’t think n the jeweller misrepresented them. They sold the studs as what they were certified as. It’s just unfortunate that EGL and GIA have such a discrepancy in their grading and you didn’t know that at the time.

If you’ve liked the diamonds as they are visually until now, why let the certification change that? But it obviously sounds like you’re just wanting a new pair of bigger studs, so hopefully something works out for you to achieve that end goal!

I totally disagree. This jeweler bought EGL internationally certified stones so they could offer an unsuspecting customer large studs at a cheap price . ($14,000) not being cheap. GIA studs this size would almost be double So when you enter this jeweler and see these huge studs at an affordable price you jump on them. Then you join price scope and realize they knew exactly what they were selling you.
Feeling a little ganged up on.
Thanks for the support all.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ganged up on?
Not receiving support?

what support are you looking for?
Someone here to buy your earrings for the price (or very close to the price) you bought them for?
A PS mob backing up your ‘social media expertise’ against the vendor?

I bought an expensive IGIreport ER from Kay’s 25 years ago.
If I had 10k sitting around bored, and I wore earrings, I’d support you.
if I had internet cred or expertise, I’d help you out in the ganging up on the vendor - but I don’t.
I’m sorry.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Ganged up on?
Not receiving support?

what support are you looking for?
Someone here to buy your earrings for the price (or very close to the price) you bought them for?
A PS mob backing up your ‘social media expertise’ against the vendor?

I bought an expensive IGIreport ER from Kay’s 25 years ago.
If I had 10k sitting around bored, and I wore earrings, I’d support you.
if I had internet cred or expertise, I’d help you out in the ganging up on the vendor - but I don’t.
I’m sorry.
No I am not looking for someone here to purchase my earrings. Just venting frustration on a forum of people who love and appreciate diamonds.

This is not a discussion I would or could or have ever had with a single person outside of this safe environment. Which is why I came here to vent.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I am not looking for someone here to purchase my earrings. Just venting frustration on a forum of people who love and appreciate diamonds.

This is not a discussion I would or could or have ever had with a single person outside of this safe environment. Which is why I came here to vent.

I understand the need to vent.
I understand the hurt and frustration.
I apologize if my reply was harsh and snarky. I took your negative comments in post 117 to be geared towards the many helpful and compassionate replies you’ve received in this thread.
If that’s not the case, and I took it the wrong way - I apologize.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results