shape
carat
color
clarity

Distraught need Opinion Lab vs Mine grown studs for upgrade

Do I trade in my studs and get lab grown at larger size, keep my studs or trade in my studs and keep

  • Keep your current studs as they are big enough and you've enjoyed them for 10 years

    Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Trade in your studs + $$$ to get lab grown 3 carat studs and know for ever they are lab grown

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Trade in your studs for little money and keep saving thousands of dollars for earth mined studs

    Votes: 11 24.4%

  • Total voters
    45

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 2, 2015
Messages
3,050
Just send her details, and ask if they are suitable. It literally costs you nothing. If she says yes, great. If she says no, fine.

Either way, good luck to you.
 

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
2,679
Just send her details, and ask if they are suitable. It literally costs you nothing. If she says yes, great. If she says no, fine.

Either way, good luck to you.

I went on the site and there isn't a email to send only the agreement form to fill out. Thanks
 

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
5,206
So just send the stones and forget about them What if they get there and she decides not to consign them they come back. Too much stress

To put things in perspective, you’ve been waiting 2+ years and the stones aren’t sold yet. At this point a few weeks and one more rejection is a drop in the bucket if that happens. She may also say yes!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over, and expecting a different result.

If you don’t change something you will be stuck here in another 2 years from now. Isn’t it exhausting to hold onto this? Free yourself so you can move on.

There’s a reason why cars have small rear view mirrors and larger windshields. Where we are now and where we are going in the future is far more important than where we have been in the past.
 

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 11, 2002
Messages
1,166
I am very confused at this point. It almost seems as though you don't *want* a solution.

Agreed. People have made good suggestions and you seem to just tear all of them down before even trying.


My final suggestion is that you simply take the stones and certs back to your original jeweler and express your displeasure with the difference in grading and ask if they will compensate you in some manner. Either by allowing you to apply the purchase price towards an upgrade or making an offer on a buy back (knowing that you won’t get full price seeing as you did own them and wear them for a significant amount of time.). If it’s anyone’s responsibility to try to make you happy it would be theirs. I caution you against threatening them. That definitely will not help your case. Be cordial but direct about your displeasure. If they sell GIA stones now they likely are aware of the differences between EGL and GIA grading and might be willing to work with you to try to retain you as a customer.
 

AnastasiaBeaverhausen

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 11, 2013
Messages
1,652
Another suggestion OP is maybe to give this a rest for now until things have calmed down a bit? I totally understand becoming so frustrated/upset by a project that I just want to wash my hands of it. But you have the GIA certs and don't need to upgrade to 3ct studs right this minute. Maybe give it some time, then come back to it later and see what you want to do with them?
 

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
5,888
Yeah, while I do think Heidi should think about consigning, and Grace is a good first step, I also thinking people are jumping the gun assuming Grace will accept the diamonds for consignment, and may want to suggest consignment alternatives that aren't just Grace. I know I never got any reply to my contact about consigning things with her.

My final suggestion is that you simply take the stones and certs back to your original jeweler and express your displeasure with the difference in grading and ask if they will compensate you in some manner. Either by allowing you to apply the purchase price towards an upgrade or making an offer on a buy back (knowing that you won’t get full price seeing as you did own them and wear them for a significant amount of time.). If it’s anyone’s responsibility to try to make you happy it would be theirs. I caution you against threatening them. That definitely will not help your case. Be cordial but direct about your displeasure. If they sell GIA stones now they likely are aware of the differences between EGL and GIA grading and might be willing to work with you to try to retain you as a customer.

I agree with this. I'd certainly try it, though go in knowing it was a long shot. The best case scenario here would be I think if the jeweler refunded Heidi a partial refund - the full current worth of these diamonds. I don't think Heidi wants to be trapped into working with this jeweler for an upgrade since she already knows she can't trust them.
 

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
5,206
Good points @distracts. Grace may not accept but honestly Heidi’s at the plate, so she needs to swing the bat. Better to strike out than never have tried.

Before sending to Grace she can talk to the local jeweler. She needs to discuss with the owner & stay calm and collected while making her point. Diplomacy will go a long way when asking for goodwill since the jeweler isn’t really on the hook to do anything. Also, if trading, care needs to be exercised. He could simply give her a higher trade and make it up by over inflating the new stones. Not saying that will happen but due diligence is required.

But again, it’s worth a shot. Doing nothing isn’t working as already evidenced.
 

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
8,954
Grace has plenty of competitors if you don't care for her terms and conditions. The general message you're getting here is that it's likely to benefit you to find a broker rather than to continue the strategy you've used for the last 2 years that doesn't seem to be working out all that well. If she's not the one for you, move on.
 

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
2,679
Grace has plenty of competitors if you don't care for her terms and conditions. The general message you're getting here is that it's likely to benefit you to find a broker rather than to continue the strategy you've used for the last 2 years that doesn't seem to be working out all that well. If she's not the one for you, move on.

I hadn't made any real moves until the stones were GIA certified. Now I know what I'm dealing with I might consign. Either Grace or another consigner. Just need the stones in my hand.
 

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
2,679
Agreed. People have made good suggestions and you seem to just tear all of them down before even trying.


My final suggestion is that you simply take the stones and certs back to your original jeweler and express your displeasure with the difference in grading and ask if they will compensate you in some manner. Either by allowing you to apply the purchase price towards an upgrade or making an offer on a buy back (knowing that you won’t get full price seeing as you did own them and wear them for a significant amount of time.). If it’s anyone’s responsibility to try to make you happy it would be theirs. I caution you against threatening them. That definitely will not help your case. Be cordial but direct about your displeasure. If they sell GIA stones now they likely are aware of the differences between EGL and GIA grading and might be willing to work with you to try to retain you as a customer.

This is exactly my plan. Then I will consign with Grace or another consignment shop . if I get no where with him.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
57,727
Grace really specializes in antique diamonds. I am not sure her audience is going to be the right one for these stones. They could potentially sit there for years and not sell.

I'd go back to your original jeweler. I would NOT commit to an upgrade or credit with them. I would just tell them that you never wear these and want to sell them back to them. Don't mention the GIA reports at first (I'd only ever mention them IF they refuse to buy back the diamonds). Wait and see what they offer you. You paid $14k so you should expect to get half your money back (but you're willing to take $5k which they don't know). If they say they'll give you a credit, say no, you might buy more jewelry but you are not ready to make that decision right now. They should be willing to buy back diamonds they sold. In that case, I'd take them in set in the settings they sold you.

If that fails, I'd go to jewelers again with the GIA reports and see what offers you get. I'd take less money now than waiting on a consignment that might not yield a penny more after consignment fees. My first studs were 1.5 ctw and bought without reports maybe 20 years ago at $2700 and I got $1700 credit from a jeweler and used that money towards a watch. I lost $1000 which wasn't so bad, but that was a mistake that I learned from and have never made again due to learning what and where to buy from PS!
 

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
2,679
Grace really specializes in antique diamonds. I am not sure her audience is going to be the right one for these stones. They could potentially sit there for years and not sell.

I'd go back to your original jeweler. I would NOT commit to an upgrade or credit with them. I would just tell them that you never wear these and want to sell them back to them. Don't mention the GIA reports at first (I'd only ever mention them IF they refuse to buy back the diamonds). Wait and see what they offer you. You paid $14k so you should expect to get half your money back (but you're willing to take $5k which they don't know). If they say they'll give you a credit, say no, you might buy more jewelry but you are not ready to make that decision right now. They should be willing to buy back diamonds they sold. In that case, I'd take them in set in the settings they sold you.

If that fails, I'd go to jewelers again with the GIA reports and see what offers you get. I'd take less money now than waiting on a consignment that might not yield a penny more after consignment fees. My first studs were 1.5 ctw and bought without reports maybe 20 years ago at $2700 and I got $1700 credit from a jeweler and used that money towards a watch. I lost $1000 which wasn't so bad, but that was a mistake that I learned from and have never made again due to learning what and where to buy from PS!

Great minds. Diamondseeker this is exactly where my head is at right now. I heard from Grace and she is interested. I agree her pieces are gorgeous but all had an antique vibe . The studs she had were all miners cuts et al. Some large stones .
I am going to reset the stones in their original setting. bring them to the jeweler And wear them in between raising the funds needed to buy the new ones. I am resolved and hopeful to get in the ballpark of $5000. I. Will wait.

Thank you all for your input. I have clarity now. I will let you know what the. Jeweler says. I am hopeful to have my earrings back by end of. Week.

Thanks again.
 
Last edited:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
2,679
I understand the need to vent.
I understand the hurt and frustration.
I apologize if my reply was harsh and snarky. I took your negative comments in post 117 to be geared towards the many helpful and compassionate replies you’ve received in this thread.
If that’s not the case, and I took it the wrong way - I apologize.

All good sorry
 

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 19, 2013
Messages
3,719
I’m glad your happy and relieved.

if you happen to find out what your boss (that’s in the diamond industry) ends up doing with them, please share. It’s interesting!
 

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
5,206
Your journey has been full of twists & curves. I am sorry it’s been so rough.

However, as I reflect on my own life and many hurdles I’ve faced, i am also reminded that once the storm was weathered, I emerged stronger and grateful for it because it has also helped forge me into the person I am today. I’m still full of flaws and imperfections but try my best to learn from the mistakes so I can soar to new heights later.

I am glad you have found peace & resolve with this matter and wishing you the best as you soar to the next mountain top!
 

Missie1

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2018
Messages
490
So excited for you to finally be able to move forward to your dream pair. I can’t wait to see what your new studs
 

AnastasiaBeaverhausen

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 11, 2013
Messages
1,652
Thank you ...still need to receive my studs back and finalize the sale . once I have the money Ill order my studs. I can hardly wait as well
Appreciate the entire forum putting up with me.

Hope you get your current studs back ASAP so you can go ahead and get your new set! Have you picked out the stones and/or setting for your upgrade already?
 

Missie1

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2018
Messages
490
Thank you ...still need to receive my studs back and finalize the sale . once I have the money Ill order my studs. I can hardly wait as well
Appreciate the entire forum putting up with me.

Yes hopefully that happens soon. Have you picked out your new stones? Are you going with WF
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
57,727
That is GREAT news, Heidi!!! The majority of people out there will be happy with your old studs and you sold them for a fair price! Now you can work on the upgrade! Don't buy without posting here first, though, unless you're going with a vendor like Whiteflash!
 

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
2,679
That is GREAT news, Heidi!!! The majority of people out there will be happy with your old studs and you sold them for a fair price! Now you can work on the upgrade! Don't buy without posting here first, though, unless you're going with a vendor like Whiteflash!

I 100% trust Yekutiel he will work with in my budget and I can drive into the city to pick them up. Probably mid -end June they will be in my ears. I will definitely post
 

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 21, 2017
Messages
783
I’m so happy you’ll finally have the pair of studs that you’ve always wanted, can’t wait to to see photos of them when they arrive.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Jewels of the Week: July 2021
    Jewels of the Week: July 2021
    Throwback Thursdays: July 2021
    Throwback Thursdays: July 2021
    August Birthstone 2021 - Peridot
    August Birthstone 2021 - Peridot

Holloway Cut Advisor



Top