shape
carat
color
clarity

Distraught need Opinion Lab vs Mine grown studs for upgrade

Do I trade in my studs and get lab grown at larger size, keep my studs or trade in my studs and keep

• Keep your current studs as they are big enough and you've enjoyed them for 10 years

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • Trade in your studs + $$$ to get lab grown 3 carat studs and know for ever they are lab grown

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Trade in your studs for little money and keep saving thousands of dollars for earth mined studs

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Who was it told you they have less value than lab diamonds? I can’t believe that’s true! And if they do come back with a great cut grade, as seems likely, even less so. Don’t let it get you down, they look like gorgeous stones on you.
EGL reports are banned on major trading platforms so they are considered a liability when buying back a stone.
That will soon be fixed with some nice shiny gia reports.
Which is the first thing that person would have done if the op sold to him. Instant value increase.

This is based on EGL international grading who even knows if they measured correctly. I’m so soured I’m not sure I even want to put them back in my ears. I thought I’d been wearing pretty studs. Now I find out they have less value than their lab grown counter part. And someone mentioned they aren’t even matched well. I really appreciate your calculating all this it was beyond cool thanks

Anyone who is saying that they have less value than their lab grown counterpart perhaps has some skin in the game, ie they want to lowball you on trade in etc. They certainly have a lower value than an equivalent grade GIA stone, but that doesn’t mean that they have 0 value. You mentioned that you plan to get them regraded by GIA, that is a great idea and will help you move them for a higher price. Also, splitting them up will help you move them not so much because of the way they’re matched but because it’s easier to get someone to buy a single stone, especially at that 1.2ish size which works well for e-rings.

I’m very sure that with some patience and a change in approach you can move those stones (perhaps not the settings, but those can be reused or scrapped). Changing to a GIA report and being open to selling them as individual stones will both make a massive difference to selling strategy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending them off to GIA was the best move forward @heididdl :appl: You're on your way to that upgrade!! I wouldn't spend another moment worrying about what they might come back as. They'll come back as whatever they come back as, and then you'll have a plethora of comparison options - and, I think, a lot more interest!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for making me feel better. When I bought these studs I had just lost my mom. And she has so much custom jewelry and some major bling. I had 1.80 studs so i traded those in sold all her fake jewels and several good gold pieces and bought these. They were bigger than I could imagine I would own and David Michael’s in Manalapan Nj was happy to sell me EGL certified studs for my trade in and in and cash total $14000. They must have seen me coming .
hope to get some restitution even if Gia comes out low I’ll know exactly what what I have . I guess I will continue to wait for my new studs . Meantime my ears are cold. I have the car but they just don’t feel right

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Sending them off to GIA was the best move forward @heididdl :appl: You're on your way to that upgrade!! I wouldn't spend another moment worrying about what they might come back as. They'll come back as whatever they come back as, and then you'll have a plethora of comparison options - and, I think, a lot more interest!

Thank you .
Any one in the trade know the current turn around at GIa in New York for 1 carat stones

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I know how much you want really want your 3 carat studs. The GIA certificate will definitely help move your current stones. Are there any other items that your not using that you could sale to put towards the item.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I know how much you want really want your 3 carat studs. The GIA certificate will definitely help move your current stones. Are there any other items that your not using that you could sale to put towards the item.

I have more dolls to sell however DH doesn’t think i should spend another $14000 to buy new ones so we have to find happy middle ground .

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I have more dolls to sell however DH doesn’t think i should spend another $14000 to buy new ones so we have to find happy middle ground .
I don’t count money I make from selling my items. . Its free money for me to use towards buying something else. Maybe try this with your DH

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point, we don’t know what color and clarity GIA will grade the stones. But in a sense it doesn’t matter. We know as-is the stones don’t make you happy and have a report you & others don’t trust. So regardless what GIA grades, what you are truly gaining is credibility and peace of mind for you and your potential buyer(s).

The bigger issue I sensed and you expanded on is this was a very emotional purchase tied to your mom’s passing, and the dealer you originally purchased from may have made you a bad financial deal. I am not telling you what to do, but I have been in similar situations. The sooner you can remove the personal emotions from those stones and also accept that whatever money you initially spent is a “sunk cost” the sooner you will be able to truly move on.

You don’t get a do over. Nor do you ever get those dollars back. The time & money is gone. It sounds like you did enjoy the stones for a bit so the purchase had some intangible value regardless of what amount of dollars you recoup once they sell.

The dollars you do (or don’t) recoup once they sell and the future stones you will eventually purchase will never in any shape, form or fashion have direct relation to how much you do (or don’t) love your mom. That love is sacred and could be symbolic with the worst 0.30 carat earrings or super ideal 3 carat ones. The most important part is when you look at those earrings they make you smile because you think of your mom and the love and life you shared with one another.

I sincerely hope you find peace with all this.

The GIA certs, pricing correctly and separating as @AllAboardTheBlingTrain suggested should then work in harmony to help expedite everything to the best of your ability.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I don’t count money I make from selling my items. . Its free money for me to use towards buying something else. Maybe try this with your DH

It’s all my money to use he just thinks it’s a lot when I have the other pair. He has contributed quite a bit to the fund

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
At this point, we don’t know what color and clarity GIA will grade the stones. But in a sense it doesn’t matter. We know as-is the stones don’t make you happy and have a report you & others don’t trust. So regardless what GIA grades, what you are truly gaining is credibility and peace of mind for you and your potential buyer(s).

The bigger issue I sensed and you expanded on is this was a very emotional purchase tied to your mom’s passing, and the dealer you originally purchased from may have made you a bad financial deal. I am not telling you what to do, but I have been in similar situations. The sooner you can remove the personal emotions from those stones and also accept that whatever money you initially spent is a “sunk cost” the sooner you will be able to truly move on.

You don’t get a do over. Nor do you ever get those dollars back. The time & money is gone. It sounds like you did enjoy the stones for a bit so the purchase had some intangible value regardless of what amount of dollars you recoup once they sell.

The dollars you do (or don’t) recoup once they sell and the future stones you will eventually purchase will never in any shape, form or fashion have direct relation to how much you do (or don’t) love your mom. That love is sacred and could be symbolic with the worst 0.30 carat earrings or super ideal 3 carat ones. The most important part is when you look at those earrings they make you smile because you think of your mom and the love and life you shared with one another.

The GIA certs, pricing correctly and separating as @AllAboardTheBlingTrain suggested should then work in harmony to help expedite everything to the best of your ability.

I love this response. The only part is i have no sentimental attachment to them regarding my mom. I was just stating I used her pieces to purchase these. I will happily pass what ever studs I have down to my girls upon my passing . So that isn’t in play here :). I truly appreciate all of these responses making me feel better .

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Echoing others about the MMD theory being silly. Glad you are sending to GIA. Have you gone to local jewelers to see what they would offer you though? I also tried to sell my 2ctw stones on preloved. They were uncerted and I was unable to sell them to an individual. I decided to go to a few jewelry stores to see what they would offer me. Two stores offered me 2k below what I paid, but one jeweler offered me only $900 below what I paid. I took that and considered it a win. Just a thought.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
@heididdl I voted for...

Keep your current studs as they are big enough and you've enjoyed them for 10 years

Have you considered a reset into a different setting; 6 or 8 prong to add a little fullness? Maybe you'd fall in love with them again?

I feel like I was somewhat in your position several years ago; I had 2ctw studs (with no grading reports) that were perfectly beautiful that I wore for about 10 years. I felt like I wanted/needed better and/or bigger. It may have been shortly after I discovered PS. I decided to have them recut. In the meantime, I ended up purchasing larger ACA studs in the most lovely crown settings. I really love the settings, I think more than the diamonds. Years later, I had the recut diamonds graded so that I could sell them. They came back as VG polish and resale is much less than I have invested in them, so they continue to sit unloved. Honestly, I wish I could go back and put my original diamonds into the crown settings. I would have saved thousands!

I'm torn about you sending your diamonds to GIA. If they come back lower that you expect, I worry that you will be more sad. I'm hoping they come back with better than you expect results.

I am also so sorry you are feeling distraught and hope it all works out for a happy outcome.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
It’s all my money to use he just thinks it’s a lot when I have the other pair. He has contributed quite a bit to the fund

I think ultimately it boils down to you not being satisfied with the 2.40. You can’t beat yourself up because the previous jeweler overpriced the studs. It’s tough to swallow but you have enjoyed them and now need to be happy. I would sale everything and buy the new mined stones. Once the recert from GIA comes back I would proceed.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Because Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome is real, and the jump up in size from what you have now to 3ctw is really not that large, I'd strongly advise you to purchase your new diamonds from a vendor who has an excellent trade-up policy (such as one of the PS preferred vendors.) That way if you ever decide to trade up again, you won't have all this headache.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
@heididdl I voted for...

Keep your current studs as they are big enough and you've enjoyed them for 10 years

Have you considered a reset into a different setting; 6 or 8 prong to add a little fullness? Maybe you'd fall in love with them again?

I feel like I was somewhat in your position several years ago; I had 2ctw studs (with no grading reports) that were perfectly beautiful that I wore for about 10 years. I felt like I wanted/needed better and/or bigger. It may have been shortly after I discovered PS. I decided to have them recut. In the meantime, I ended up purchasing larger ACA studs in the most lovely crown settings. I really love the settings, I think more than the diamonds. Years later, I had the recut diamonds graded so that I could sell them. They came back as VG polish and resale is much less than I have invested in them, so they continue to sit unloved. Honestly, I wish I could go back and put my original diamonds into the crown settings. I would have saved thousands!

I'm torn about you sending your diamonds to GIA. If they come back lower that you expect, I worry that you will be more sad. I'm hoping they come back with better than you expect results.

I am also so sorry you are feeling distraught and hope it all works out for a happy outcome.

Thank you honestly I just want them GIA graded because as others have mentioned than I know exactly what I'm dealing with and they are certified. Thanks for your suggestions. a lot to think about

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Because Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome is real, and the jump up in size from what you have now to 3ctw is really not that large, I'd strongly advise you to purchase your new diamonds from a vendor who has an excellent trade-up policy (such as one of the PS preferred vendors.) That way if you ever decide to trade up again, you won't have all this headache.

Thank you I am actually . This will be my final upgrade I promise.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Agreed so happy they were sent off and its worth the money to pay for the report. Ill move on from there.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you I am actually . This will be my final upgrade I promise.

I'd encourage you to consider ID Jewelry. Yekutiel is lovely, they do upgrades and their pricing is quite reasonable. I originally bought a pair of 1.20 ctw studs from him in 2014. I upgrade to 2.3 ctw this winter. All I had to do was pick out my new ones and send him the old ones with their reports and my receipt from the original transaction.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Heidi! Just now catching up on your thread. I can VERY much relate to your dilemma because I have been there!

My first studs were ungraded and 1.5 ctw. They were sold to me as H SI. Well, when I went to some local jewelers to try to see if they'd allow me to trade them in towards a larger, better cut pair, I was told they were H color but I1 clarity!!! I was so mad! But live and learn! Thank goodness for PS because I've never made a mistake like that again! I lost about 40% of what I had paid for those diamonds and bought a watch using the credit plus cash at a jeweler. By then I knew not to buy new studs locally because NONE carried diamonds of the quality we expect here!

I ended up at WF and have upgraded several times. I just posted my 3.2 ctw pair today. My last pair was similar in size to yours, so I totally get the desire for 1.5+ cts each! There's nothing wrong with that especially since you have the memories of your mother wearing that size! I realize most people don't even have studs 1.2 cts each, but I am not going to tell someone they shouldn't get 2 cts each because I think they should be happy with what they have!

But, the price to upgrade to that size is a little painful even with trading in stones! I am still a little uneasy about that! I DID consider lab diamonds for my larger studs, but they honestly are still too high priced to make them worthwhile. I found some well cut ones, but I was looking at close to $8000 for a pair of 1.5-1.6 ct (each) at F VS which is recommended for someone who'd want at least H color in a natural diamond.

Honestly, if I was going to loose half or more of the value of these stones, I'd just save them for a daughter and start over. Yes, it's a lot of money and men don't always understand why tiny rocks cost so much, but if you can swing it (now or later), I'd go on and do it! (Whiteflash has a really nice 1.6 I SI1 right now for barely more than a similar 1.5. You could ask if they could access a match!). Or you could see what Yekutiel says about trading in your old stones once they come back from GIA and give him very specific parameters for cut on the new ones.

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband likes cars. He says his cars “like” to have several different style of wheels (Kragars, Americans, Keystones, etc) or hoods (SS, Baldwin, working cowl induction, etc.). Yet he w/couldn’t understand why I might want more than one ring or necklace or pair of earrings or bracelet... or black shoes.

I’m like, dude, we have five cars (not even our daily drivers), and you have like three sets of wheels for each... that’s like 15 sets (of four = 60) wheels. Dont even get me started on tires... BFG, Mickey T, etc.,

Geez, I want three rings (I mean 30) and four necklaces (15), etc. WTF?!?!

So, now he “gets” it. Doesn’t “like” it, but gets it. Maybe your husband has a similar passion that you can equate to yours. Fair’s fair and all that :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very wise, sledge.

@heididdl I think getting the GIA reports is a good move. It will be easier to sell them direct to someone else with those, especially if they come back excellent as the cut nuts have said they will. I have faith that you will get your huuuuuge studs someday soon!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband likes cars. He says his cars “like” to have several different style of wheels (Kragars, Americans, Keystones, etc) or hoods (SS, Baldwin, working cowl induction, etc.). Yet he w/couldn’t understand why I might want more than one ring or necklace or pair of earrings or bracelet... or black shoes.

I’m like, dude, we have five cars (not even our daily drivers), and you have like three sets of wheels for each... that’s like 15 sets (of four = 60) wheels. Dont even get me started on tires... BFG, Mickey T, etc.,

Geez, I want three rings (I mean 30) and four necklaces (15), etc. WTF?!?!

So, now he “gets” it. Doesn’t “like” it, but gets it. Maybe your husband has a similar passion that you can equate to yours. Fair’s fair and all that :)

Mine collects old Porsches. At least my toys can all fit in a small box!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL, I'm never letting my wife hang around you.

Also, just in case you thought I was a girl, I'm the husband that does the mumbling. Well not really. More like the husband that wants to upgrade his wife's diamond for her.

Weird because I'm also a gear head. I absolutely LOVE old muscle cars, and have been lucky to own several hot rods over the years. Never 5 at once though. #goals

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I'd encourage you to consider ID Jewelry. Yekutiel is lovely, they do upgrades and their pricing is quite reasonable. I originally bought a pair of 1.20 ctw studs from him in 2014. I upgrade to 2.3 ctw this winter. All I had to do was pick out my new ones and send him the old ones with their reports and my receipt from the original transaction.

He's my "guy"

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
LOL, I'm never letting my wife hang around you.

Also, just in case you thought I was a girl, I'm the husband that does the mumbling. Well not really. More like the husband that wants to upgrade his wife's diamond for her.

Weird because I'm also a gear head. I absolutely LOVE old muscle cars, and have been lucky to own several hot rods over the years. Never 5 at once though. #goals

No it isn't that . We are not in a financial postion for me to be that selfish . Our kids are all getting engaged weddings, we just moved into a new town house (oh yeah its a year) . My selling my dolls and using the $$$ is fine but he is like I dont think spending $20,30000 right now is the right thing to do. $8-10,000 no issue ....

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
No it isn't that . We are not in a financial postion for me to be that selfish . Our kids are all getting engaged weddings, we just moved into a new town house (oh yeah its a year) . My selling my dolls and using the $$$ is fine but he is like I dont think spending $20,30000 right now is the right thing to do. $8-10,000 no issue ....

Crossing my fingers that your GIA report comes back with helpful information. FWIW, I had an OEC that EGL called J/SI1. David Klass looked at it and thought it was a GIA K/SI1. Another GIA trained gemologist thought it actually was a GIA J/SI1 as well. So, I'm crossing my fingers for your stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results