shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys, I feel I''m really learning a lot to make an informed decision.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/5/2009 6:02:51 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I agree Richard,

But in this case, it''s not just any inclusion, but a big ole black spot right smack in the center of the stone. If it were along a facet edge, it might be concealed by a prong, but the location and the severity of this inclusion might be a bit too much to take. Even in emeralds, although inclusions are expected, black inclusions lower the value more than other types.

I was responding to Stone Hunter''s comment and was speaking generally, not addressing that particular stone. I''ve seen, cut and sold enough spessartites and other gems to have a very good idea of clarity characteristics and how they affect value. Certainly black inclusions are not desirable although black manganese inclusions are typical of Namibian spessartites. I don''t think Mariedtiger said the inclusion was big; in fact it took some time for it to be noticed. It boils down to whether it bothers her enough to reject the stone. Clarity in Type II gems is usually a matter of cost, with top clarity going for more $$$.

Richard M.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for clarifying Richard. Question: if it were a very clean stone with vivid orange color, how much would that affect the price?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/5/2009 11:23:33 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Thanks for clarifying Richard. Question: if it were a very clean stone with vivid orange color, how much would that affect the price?

That would depend on size, type and quality of cut, the market and origin (Namibian stones of proper color bring a premium). Using 1 to 2 ct. Namibian stones as an example and everything else being equal, the difference between eye clean and slightly included stones is currently between 10 and 30%. Stones can vary slightly in value even within the same general grade.

Richard M.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for that. I appreciate it.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread. I learned a lot and decided to keep the spess, as I really like the stone and the black inclusion is visible only when the stone glows, for instance when I cup my hand around it. Learning about what to expect from this type of stone helped me make the decision.

This one will go into a Sally lotus setting, and is perfect for that. A gem with just a touch of pepper
1.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Please do start a thread about your new spess with photos. Also looking forward to seeing it in a lotus setting.
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results