shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so disappointed! I bought a spessartite, got it, fell in love with it. It glows like mad. But having had it for a few hours I noticed it has a black inclusion almost straight in the middle of it. Being of a round shape, it's really distracting. Now that I noticed it, it's all I can see. And I bought it as a VS. Now I'm really torn about what to do...

7.gif
7.gif
7.gif

Thank you for letting me vent.

Edited to add: I'm not adding pictures, because I haven't gotten a hold of the vendor yet. This is more just to give a voice to this disappointment, of falling in love with a gem, and then noticing a flaw that isn't supposed to be there. And I knew you all would understand what I'm talking about
35.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you were disappointed. Spessartites are a type II gem so that VS designation could include eye visible inclusions. It''s rotten that the vendor didn''t mention it though.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, sorry MT! I can relate, it''s a sucky feeling!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shoot! I''m so sorry,,, are you going to return it? hate that feeling... uggggg.... vent away!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 3:01:33 PM
Author: Kismet
I''m sorry you were disappointed. Spessartites are a type II gem so that VS designation could include eye visible inclusions. It''s rotten that the vendor didn''t mention it though.

Thanks for telling me Kismet, I didn''t know this. Okay, it makes me feel just a little bit better.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your sympathies MTG and D&T. I think I''ll look at it in the morning. I don''t want to return it, I really like the little fellow
38.gif

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Aww I''m so sorry.
8.gif
That sucks. Hopefully it will grow on you.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stinks!! I''m so sorry. I hate discovering a flaw.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stinks!! I''m sorry. I hate when I find a flaw.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That sinks. How long do you have to make a final decision about it? If this is something that is going to bug you every time you look at it, I would send the stone back. Give yourself a couple days to see if you can look past it or not.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Sorry you''re sorry MT. Here''s another line of thought, though. I rather like inclusions (within reason). If I wanted perfect, I could buy a synthetic. One black spot in the middle would be fine with me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MT,
Do you think the inclusion would lesen or disappear in a setting? If the color is really great, as you say, and you paid a low price per carat, then it might be worth keeping. Vivid orange spessartites are getting harder and harder to come by. I wish you could show a pic. Even if it''s your pic, it might not be intantly recognizable because it''s a round. I know some fancy shapes and cuts are recognizable, but rounds are not as much.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Well I''m torn. I love great color in my stones, so I would love the stone. However, I don''t like inclusions for something I plan to set. If it were noticeable, it unfortunately would bug me. The stones I have do not have visible inclusions and I super love the ones I have. They make me happy. So I only keep stones that make me really happy because I figure I could use the money from a not so happy stone to buy one that makes me really happy.

Ok, maybe that is a lesson in how to talk in circles...
face21.gif
What I wanted to say is "bummer! With such beautiful color, it is too bad your eye is drawn to that inclusion that is unfortunately right smack dab in the middle"

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/5/2009 4:16:03 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

It''s always puzzled me why some people readily accept GIA''s diamond clarity system and ignore the same organization''s system for grading color!

Some minor natural inclusions, even eye-visible ones, are accepted in Type II colored stones and are proof the stone came from the Earth, not a lab. Visible inclusions are expected in Type III stones like emerald, red tourmaline and some others. Only Type I stones are usually consistently eye clean and some of them can be very beautiful with slight to moderate inclusions.

Using diamond clarity designations like VS is misleading. GIA grades color (using no magnification!) as "Eye Clean," "Slightly Included," "Moderately Included," "Heavily Included" and "Severely Included."

If all colored stones are expected to be loupe clean, we''d have to give up demantoids with byssolite "horsetails," star and cat''s-eye stones whose optical effects are created by inclusions, rutilated quartz, sunstone, etc., etc.

Richard M.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree Richard,
But in this case, it's not just any inclusion, but a big ole black spot right smack in the center of the stone. If it were along a facet edge, it might be concealed by a prong, but the location and the severity of this inclusion might be a bit too much to take. Even in emeralds, although inclusions are expected, black inclusions lower the value more than other types.

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
I really don''t think I could deal with that, it would drive me crazy (be all I see)

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 2:50:55 PM
Author:mariedtiger
I'm so disappointed! I bought a spessartite, got it, fell in love with it. It glows like mad. But having had it for a few hours I noticed it has a black inclusion almost straight in the middle of it.

7.gif
7.gif
7.gif

After having a stone for a couple of hours before notice of an inclusion does not sound like "a big ole black spot" to me. Spessartite is a type II after all.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
I''m so disappointed! I bought a spessartite, got it, fell in love with it. It glows like mad. But having had it for a few hours I noticed it has a black inclusion almost straight in the middle of it. Being of a round shape, it''s really distracting. Now that I noticed it, it''s all I can see. And I bought it as a VS. Now I''m really torn about what to do...

As someone who recently also agonised over this decision, over another spess, I''d say "just return it". There are still spess'' around. Gene''s just put up a lovely one a few days ago, and has more rough, in a round, gemrite has some, Dan said he had more spess around, another vendor will be recutting a ''mandarin'' one...

I''m sure you''ll find one you love. And I''m looking forward to receiving my new one in the next few days! Rounds seem hard to find, though.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Hello everyone, thank you for your comments, I''m learning a lot in this thread. That is why I wanted to post about this.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 4:22:32 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
That sinks. How long do you have to make a final decision about it? If this is something that is going to bug you every time you look at it, I would send the stone back. Give yourself a couple days to see if you can look past it or not.

This is what I have to decide now. Thanks, a couple of days sounds just right.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 4:32:53 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Sorry you''re sorry MT. Here''s another line of thought, though. I rather like inclusions (within reason). If I wanted perfect, I could buy a synthetic. One black spot in the middle would be fine with me.

You know sonomacounty, I completely agree about colorless inclusions. I just never saw black ones until now, so I have to get my mind around it
37.gif
One more thing to learn.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 5:03:31 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
MT,

Do you think the inclusion would lesen or disappear in a setting? If the color is really great, as you say, and you paid a low price per carat, then it might be worth keeping. Vivid orange spessartites are getting harder and harder to come by. I wish you could show a pic. Even if it''s your pic, it might not be intantly recognizable because it''s a round. I know some fancy shapes and cuts are recognizable, but rounds are not as much.

Hi TL, thanks for chiming in. The color is great for me, it is vivid. But it isn''t a cheap carat price at all and is a yellowish orange, especially in some lights, so that is also one reason that I''m considering whether I can accept this.

I will see if I can get a picture of the inclusion from the top.

As this inclusion is in the middle of the stone, it won''t disappear. But when I woke up this morning I saw that the inclusion is only visible when the stone glows. It''s virtually invisible in the overcast daylight we have today.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh, one or two small/medium black inclusions are fine with me, too.
37.gif

I used to have a E/I1 diamond. It had two small "specks of pepper". It made it easy to I.D. and reminded me it was a "real" stone.

Just a different thinking for you.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 5:26:46 PM
Author: Richard M.
Date: 6/5/2009 4:16:03 PM

Author: Stone Hunter

It''s always puzzled me why some people readily accept GIA''s diamond clarity system and ignore the same organization''s system for grading color!

Some minor natural inclusions, even eye-visible ones, are accepted in Type II colored stones and are proof the stone came from the Earth, not a lab. Visible inclusions are expected in Type III stones like emerald, red tourmaline and some others. Only Type I stones are usually consistently eye clean and some of them can be very beautiful with slight to moderate inclusions.

Using diamond clarity designations like VS is misleading. GIA grades color (using no magnification!) as ''Eye Clean,'' ''Slightly Included,'' ''Moderately Included,'' ''Heavily Included'' and ''Severely Included.''

If all colored stones are expected to be loupe clean, we''d have to give up demantoids with byssolite ''horsetails,'' star and cat''s-eye stones whose optical effects are created by inclusions, rutilated quartz, sunstone, etc., etc.

Richard M.

Hi Rick,

Thank you for taking the time to answer and clarify the grading system. These are very new to me as a customer. I had certain expectations based on the VS grading, but now I am seeing they were false for this kind of stone.

I''m actually one of those people who often likes inclusions. You would laugh if you were to see my favorite aquamarine, and those aren''t meant to have inclusions! I''ve just never seen black ones, and to me they seem more distracting than colorless ones.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 6:43:35 PM
Author: colormyworld

I'm so disappointed! I bought a spessartite, got it, fell in love with it. It glows like mad. But having had it for a few hours I noticed it has a black inclusion almost straight in the middle of it.

After having a stone for a couple of hours before notice of an inclusion does not sound like 'a big ole black spot' to me. Spessartite is a type II after all.

You're right colormyworld I woke up today to discover that in overcast daylight the stone looks flawless. It's just in soft Nordic evening light when it starts to glow that it lights up the inclusion like a spotlight. That is probably why the vendor did miss it. It's also why I was so suprised, because in that light the inclusion is really visible.

And I am just now learning what Type II stone really means through this experience.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I followed your story closely
1.gif
I really look forwardto seeing your stone. I was eying yours too
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another fun fact: that black spot is most likely the mineral manganese which is what causes that great orange glow in the first place.

MT: it sounds like your spessartite is accurately graded. If it doesn't show up all the time or is difficult to spot at times, then it is indeed a coloured VS. Since you mentioned the colour is awesome, I would think really hard about it. Pure glowing orange spessaritites are getting more difficult to find.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2009 11:02:49 PM
Author: Chrono
Here''s another fun fact: that black spot is most likely the mineral manganese which is what causes that great orange glow in the first place.
Yes, I learned that on PS the other night from SS''s thread.
34.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mariedtiger,
I''m sorry about your disappointment and hope you can return the stone easily.

Rick,
No byssolites? My stars! I''m with you on the use of diamond clarity terms. To me, it''s a red flag when a vendor does that.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 10:55:26 PM
Author: mariedtiger
Hi Rick,

Thank you for taking the time to answer and clarify the grading system. These are very new to me as a customer. I had certain expectations based on the VS grading, but now I am seeing they were false for this kind of stone.

I''m actually one of those people who often likes inclusions. You would laugh if you were to see my favorite aquamarine, and those aren''t meant to have inclusions! I''ve just never seen black ones, and to me they seem more distracting than colorless ones.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results