shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed with BlueNile - GIA SI1 - "100% Eyeclean"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Have just taken delivery of my BlueNile stone.

I must say I am utterly dissapointed. Stone is SI1 GIA Clarity so I asked Bluenile if it was eyeclean to which they replied:

" The jewelers have said that this diamond is 100% eye clean "

I took one look at it and from some 40cm away could see a inclusion! It''s a feather and is reflected around the whole diamond from any side profile.

The inclusion is as visible as the 1.1ct uncertified one that I had a month or so back. The seller told me it was SI clairty but I dismissed it as a "L" clarity as I could see the inclusion so easily.

Should I just give up on SI1 GIA stones? To me, if you can see an inclusion from some 40cm away it puts it into "l" clarity by most definitions on the web that I have read up on.

Is going to cost me some $50 in return shipping and I have lost confidence in BlueNile and their version of "100% Eyeclean".

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 10:54:50 AM
Author:Postie

I must say I am utterly dissapointed. Stone is SI1 GIA Clarity so I asked Bluenile if it was eyeclean to which they replied:

' The jewelers have said that this diamond is 100% eye clean '

I took one look at it and from some 40cm away could see a inclusion! It's a feather and is reflected around the whole diamond from any side profile.

The inclusion is as visible as the 1.1ct uncertified one that I had a month or so back. The seller told me it was SI clairty but I dismissed it as a 'L' clarity as I could see the inclusion so easily.

Should I just give up on SI1 GIA stones? To me, if you can see an inclusion from some 40cm away it puts it into 'l' clarity by most definitions on the web that I have read up on.

Is going to cost me some $50 in return shipping and I have lost confidence in BlueNile and their version of '100% Eyeclean'.
Postie I am sorry it didn't work out. Regrettably some sellers definitions of eyeclean can vary and not include looking at the diamond at close scrutiny from all angles. I would try VS and above clarity which might be a better fit for you, also read this thread as it might be helpful.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-eye-clean-definition-interpretation-and-taste.30483/

You can find some SI diamonds which are completely eyeclean and some that aren't, but it is really best to work with a trusted vendor who has the diamond in hand and can advise you if it meets your standards or not.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I took one look at it and from some 40cm away could see a inclusion! It's a feather and is reflected around the whole diamond from any side profile.

The inclusion is as visible as the 1.1ct uncertified one that I had a month or so back. The seller told me it was SI clairty but I dismissed it as a 'L' clarity as I could see the inclusion so easily.

Should I just give up on SI1 GIA stones? To me, if you can see an inclusion from some 40cm away it puts it into 'l' clarity by most definitions on the web that I have read up on.

Is going to cost me some $50 in return shipping and I have lost confidence in BlueNile and their version of '100% Eyeclean'.
No, only with BN. They are somewhat known for this. There have been scads of SI1 and even some SI2's bought that are totally eyeclean, but they are from places like GOG, WF, HPD, etc. You need to shop with a tried and true vendor.
28.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try to ask for the shipping fee back too. They promised you an eye-clean stone and that is not, I think that is their fault.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 10:56:46 AM
Author: Lorelei

I was just thinking, is it eyeclean face up? Sometimes those in the industry only consider the face up view when advising if a diamond is eyeclean or not, this doesn't always include the side views, so maybe their ' 100% eyeclean' opinion only meant face up.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 11:37:46 AM
Author: pixley
Just a thought, but are we sure this is a feather and not a girdle reflection?

This thread has some pictures for you to compare to: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/side-view-question.23536/
Hey Pix - EXCELLENT thought, Postie, check these pics out, is this what you are seeing, the line that is about halfway down around the diamond seen from the side? If so it is totally normal and all diamonds do it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 11:42:42 AM

Date: 3/31/2009 11:37:46 AM
Author: pixley
Just a thought, but are we sure this is a feather and not a girdle reflection?

This thread has some pictures for you to compare to: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/side-view-question.23536/
Hey Pix - EXCELLENT thought, Postie, check these pics out, is this what you are seeing, the line that is about halfway down around the diamond seen from the side? If so it is totally normal and all diamonds do it.
hmmm.gif

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
it looks very much like that link
38.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Wanna post some pictures for us?
ETA - and by "us", I mean Ellen and Lorelei.
41.gif
3.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Girdle reflection was my first thought as well; I''d guess that''s what you''re seeing.

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
PS to the rescue!
1.gif
I was just about to to ring BN and tell them what I thought
6.gif

So, do all diamonds have this? I''m sure I''ve seen some in the local shop which don''t?

Will take some pics also.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 11:58:23 AM
Author: Postie
PS to the rescue!
1.gif
I was just about to to ring BN and tell them what I thought
6.gif

So, do all diamonds have this? I'm sure I've seen some in the local shop which don't?

Will take some pics also.
Yes, they all show this, it can be more visible in some lights than in others I find! Great job Pix, I was so busy thinking of inclusions it didn't even dawn on me that this could be it - Pixers rocks!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Take some pics and we can take a look but I think you are sorted and that is what it will be.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 12:12:23 PM

Yes, they all show this, it can be more visible in some lights than in others I find! Great job Pix, I was so busy thinking of inclusions it didn't even dawn on me that this could be it - Pixers rocks!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Take some pics and we can take a look but I think you are sorted and that is what it will be.
Ditto!
9.gif

Yay for happy endings!

And I STILL think this info should come with every diamond.
11.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 12:15:07 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/31/2009 12:12:23 PM

Yes, they all show this, it can be more visible in some lights than in others I find! Great job Pix, I was so busy thinking of inclusions it didn''t even dawn on me that this could be it - Pixers rocks!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ditto!
9.gif

Yay for happy endings!

And I STILL think this info should come with every diamond.
11.gif
Yiss!

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I took one look at it and from some 40cm away could see a inclusion! It''s a feather and is reflected around the whole diamond from any side profile.

I''m glad to see that the issue is merely standard girdle reflection, a lot of clients have mistaken this visual effect for a crack in the structure of their diamond... I even had one client file a claim with their insurance company after they noticed the girdle reflection because they thought they had cracked their diamond!

I just want to make a general clarification regarding your comment about the visibility of inclusions from a side profile in diamonds of any clarity grade to assist other people reading the forum who might also be seeking "eye clean" diamonds of any clarity grade. The concept of "eye clean" with regards to diamond clarity is only considered to be from a Top Down perspective and not from a side profile, this is because diamonds are faceted to minimize the visibility of inclusions from a top down profile and not a side view. Thus it is possible for an experienced grader to be able to find inclusions from a side profile even in higher clarity diamonds... Consumers should expect to be able to see inclusions within a diamond from a side profile, however some inclusions will be more visible than others and working with vendors who provide a more hands-on approach can provide insight into the visibility of inclusions from a side profile.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 12:44:31 PM
Author: Todd Gray

I''m glad to see that the issue is merely standard girdle reflection, a lot of clients have mistaken this visual effect for a crack in the structure of their diamond... I even had one client file a claim with their insurance company after they noticed the girdle reflection because they thought they had cracked their diamond!

I just want to make a general clarification regarding your comment about the visibility of inclusions from a side profile in diamonds of any clarity grade to assist other people reading the forum who might also be seeking ''eye clean'' diamonds of any clarity grade. The concept of ''eye clean'' with regards to diamond clarity is only considered to be from a Top Down perspective and not from a side profile, this is because diamonds are faceted to minimize the visibility of inclusions from a top down profile and not a side view. Thus it is possible for an experienced grader to be able to find inclusions from a side profile even in higher clarity diamonds... Consumers should expect to be able to see inclusions within a diamond from a side profile, however some inclusions will be more visible than others and working with vendors who provide a more hands-on approach can provide insight into the visibility of inclusions from a side profile.
Todd, you are correct. However, we often tell posters to let vendors know what their definition of eyeclean is. And most often, that is to not see anything from the sides either. So it would not be unusual around here to have someone post that they were told a stone was "eyeclean", and then be disappointed to see somerthing from the side.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results