shape
carat
color
clarity

dip an antique?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I''m the proud owner of an heirloom 14K engagement ring, however when looking at white gold wedding bands I''ve noticed that the ering has yellowed and doesn''t look the same next to the brand new wrings. Ive found some gorgeous chevron bands I think I am going to purchase to wrap the ring but want to know if it would be ok to dip it to make it match? Would the rings the yellow together? I don''t mind the look of the white gold as it ages, I actually think its pretty, but want the set to look good together.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
No problem with dipping it - I just bought an estate white gold diamond ring and had it dipped so it would be nice and shiny. What I don''t know is if it would wear the same as a modern ring.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
charbie, can we see a picture of this heirloom ring?
1.gif

I don''t think there would be any problems with dipping your ering. Most white gold is naturally yellow-ish and is rhodium plated to give it that platinum-like whiteness. This wears off over time and needs to be re-dipped. I think if you dip your e-ring then it will ''age'' at the same rate as your new wedding band.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

What about asking if the wedding bands you like can be done, without the rhodium plating - most can be done that way, and have your vintage ring just cleaned and buffed up.

I actually love the hue of white gold that is unplated, and would choose it every time over rhodium plated pieces. I just find the high gloss of rhodium too shiny! I think that''s why I love the patina you get, and rings get a little duller with time, for me, it makes them look...(searching for the right phrase here!) a little more ''genuine/real/classy'' - less of that jewellers shop shine.

I think you will know what I mean.

Do show your ring - and perhaps the bands you are considering? it would be lovely to see them.

1.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will destroy the patina by dipping it. In antigues, this usually destroys a lot of value (since the piece looses that characteristic of time which qualifies it for an antique) and it will generally be worth the same as an used ring. However, it is your ring and your decision.

I, personally, like the colur of antique white gold and I would never plate it. Could you look for an antique band to go with it or get an unplated new one?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-heirloom-engagement-ring.100084/

Here is where I have pictures posted. My computer was stolen so I am missing pictures, but I plan on taking some outdoor shots to capture the sparkles!

I went to my jeweler this weekend and tried on everything they had to offer. A few Tacori pieces (due to the antique look) and thought I wanted some milgrain. Of couse what I thought I wanted and what I got were two totally different rings. I tried on a .5c chevron (more like curved) band and that got the wheels turning. It was a little too big for my ring (I wanted my ering to really stand out)- so he showed me a .07c (basically 7 1 pointers) ring that was the same style. For fun since both rings were out of the case, I wrapped my ring and knew we were on to something. My fiance started wincing, knowing I was now in the market for two bands. My jeweler knew exactly what I was looking for, and pulled out a guard with the two .07 chevron bands...and I was sold almost instantly. I''m pretty simple and didn''t want an overwhelming ring and basically was looking for something that would have diamonds to go from shoulder to shoulder of the ering.

Sadly, I won'' get it back until the 21st, but I''m pretty excited and will post pictures of the set once it is here!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
This isn''t the ring, but similar in style and from a different B&M store.

Also- on the dipping. I don''t have to dip my ring! They polished my ring so I could see how it would look, and with a good cleaning, it looked great since it is a bit hidden by the guard. He said that the guard will start to lose the rhodium dip after a few months, and at that point I should have the look I want.

1257012.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results