shape
carat
color
clarity

Dilemma: Should I sell my diamond?

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I bought this stone for maybe 2 months now, but it is still not set yet, primarily because a) i don't know what I want; b) I haven't had any time to work on this project; and c) I need to save up for the setting.

The stone is a 2ct D, Flawless, Type IIa. I love it, and it looks very special to me. But here is my dilemma, someone is offering to buy this stone from me for a decent price. I am not going to make a fortune, but some profit w/o me doing anything. I wasn't so interested to sell until I heard that for a Flawless stone, once it is set, plus normal wear, it will eventually be downgraded to a IF, is that true?

Do you think it is better to sell it now and make a small profit? I will be sad if my Flawless stone become an IF....

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can sell a preowned diamond that you done want/need and make a profit, you should do that. Most regular people recover only a percentage of what they paid.

That said, do you want to part with it? Could you get a suitable replacement with the sale proceeds?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It really depends on your objectives. As mentioned above, if you want to own a stone, then you’ll need to replace it. Given that, one of the key variables is what the replacement stone will cost. If you replace, would you get another 2/D/FL or something different?

The amount of wear required to drop an FL to IF is minuscule. You’re right, expect this to happen if it’s to be mounted and worn. Actually, the wear to get to VVS1 is pretty darned small too.

seekingshiny

Rough_Rock
ringo865|1464354985|4036931 said:
If you can sell a preowned diamond that you done want/need and make a profit, you should do that. Most regular people recover only a percentage of what they paid.

That said, do you want to part with it? Could you get a suitable replacement with the sale proceeds?

I think Ringo has raised all the salient points. Most people usually sell their diamond at a loss, but if it's going to cost you even more outlay to buy back something comparable, then that's certainly something to consider.

Here is a useful thread on flawless vs internal flawless. I think something to realize is that if you plan on wearing this diamond, over time there likely will be some external wear that would change the grade.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You not only need to weigh the idea of finding a replacement, but the time involved in doing so. If you keep your eye out and scour the internet regularly you may find a diamond that is budget friendly and an upgrade from your current stone. But your time is worth money as well, if the search becomes too cumbersome, you use up the 'profit' or 'upgrade' in time equity. On the other hand - some people find the search process so much fun, it is almost like getting paid to play - the answer is, in many ways, a personal preference.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were mine, I'd sell and get a 2ct F VS1 superideal cut which will look almost identical (or better due to cut) and have lots of money left for a second diamond ring or bracelet or fabulous trip, etc.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Type IIa is very rare and isn't the diamond like the Golconda ones where there is a different kind of transparency like a clear ice cube I think it has been described. Would this not mean it would be very hard to replace this diamond again on top of the Flawless attribute.
Sound like you are not too stuck on it though, do you really love it or the money you would get more?
Can one of the appraisers tell us how rare a Type IIa is, I believe from reading all colorless diamonds are not that type it is more rare than that even. The Type IIb ones have a fancy color tint to the white? Other/most peoples diamonds are all Type 1a or 1b.

Some of the Hollywood people are getting the Golconda diamonds now as they also come in large sizes mostly too.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your input, everyone.

Yes, I hear that Type IIa is pretty rare. I wasn't looking for a D/FL when I first started my search, I was really looking for a 3 ct. preferably near colorless/VS quality stone, the "best value" per, I guess, PS standards. But this one just came across unexpectedly. Someone else ordered it from another country thru a jeweler, and had a change of heart. When the stone arrived, the jeweler saw an attached letter that the stone is type iia. So I got the chance to see it in person, and thought the price was pretty reasonable, without having to pay the premium for it being a type iia stone.

I really like it, but then I worry that once it is set, it will go down to IF or even VVS1, like Denverappraiser said. Then it kind of defeat the purpose if I cannot enjoy wearing it.

Now I have an opportunity to sell, I won't make a big profit, probably enough for a decent setting for another stone, not extravagant, but would be good enough. The person who is interested lives in Asia, she is an acquaintance. She says that a lot of people in Asia like the super white, type ii stones, and she doesn't mind to wait (I will be going for a visit sometime in the fall).

So I am a little torn, I love it, the stone is pretty, I never thought I would be selling it, at least not so soon. But I am afraid to set it....and now coincidently I have an opportunity to sell.

Again, I am contemplating not so much because of the small profit that I can make, I am just really worry about setting it and the normal daily wear....

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SomethingNew|1464507242|4037653 said:
Thanks for all your input, everyone.

Yes, I hear that Type IIa is pretty rare. I wasn't looking for a D/FL when I first started my search, I was really looking for a 3 ct. preferably near colorless/VS quality stone, the "best value" per, I guess, PS standards. But this one just came across unexpectedly. Someone else ordered it from another country thru a jeweler, and had a change of heart. When the stone arrived, the jeweler saw an attached letter that the stone is type iia. So I got the chance to see it in person, and thought the price was pretty reasonable, without having to pay the premium for it being a type iia stone.

I really like it, but then I worry that once it is set, it will go down to IF or even VVS1, like Denverappraiser said. Then it kind of defeat the purpose if I cannot enjoy wearing it.

Now I have an opportunity to sell, I won't make a big profit, probably enough for a decent setting for another stone, not extravagant, but would be good enough. The person who is interested lives in Asia, she is an acquaintance. She says that a lot of people in Asia like the super white, type ii stones, and she doesn't mind to wait (I will be going for a visit sometime in the fall).

So I am a little torn, I love it, the stone is pretty, I never thought I would be selling it, at least not so soon. But I am afraid to set it....and now coincidently I have an opportunity to sell.

Again, I am contemplating not so much because of the small profit that I can make, I am just really worry about setting it and the normal daily wear....

It seems strange to me that the jeweller did not price the stone appropriately if he knew it was a iia.

Who is the stone graded by?
Can you post the certificate number?
Is the only confirmation you have it's a iia a written letter?
Have you had it appraised and valued to ascertain if your acquaintance is making a fair offer?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you buying diamonds to make money? If so, then you should sell the diamond and go on to the next one. No emotions attached.

If you want to own a rare diamond because such a thing suits you in a special way, then wait a few years or some decades and then decide what to do. It likely will still be a very rare version of a diamond. Be sure to retain all your paperwork to prove when you bought it and that it is natural since all synthetic diamonds are also currently only type IIA stones, too. You don't want your diamond to be confused with being synthetic.

If the profit you can make gives you more pleasure than ownership, it is time to do a deal. Hope this helps.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oldminer|1464526738|4037698 said:
Are you buying diamonds to make money? If so, then you should sell the diamond and go on to the next one. No emotions attached.

If you want to own a rare diamond because such a thing suits you in a special way, then wait a few years or some decades and then decide what to do. It likely will still be a very rare version of a diamond. Be sure to retain all your paperwork to prove when you bought it and that it is natural since all synthetic diamonds are also currently only type IIA stones, too. You don't want your diamond to be confused with being synthetic.

If the profit you can make gives you more pleasure than ownership, it is time to do a deal. Hope this helps.

Great, practical advice.

I am also interested in the lab report for this diamond. Any details you can provide?

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium

No... I am not in the trade business. Don't get me wrong, it is an absolutely beautiful stone. I'd really like to keep it, just not sure if that's the most practical thing to do.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Diamond_Hawk|1464535703|4037734 said:

Great, practical advice.

I am also interested in the lab report for this diamond. Any details you can provide?

I was looking for the GIA cert, but I can't find it. Most likely it is in the safe along with the stone. But here is the letter that came with it.
img_3577.jpg

seekingshiny

Rough_Rock
I think a question that you should consider is do you even plan to wear this diamond or not, or is owning it enough? Also, all GIA graded gems can be looked up online through their report number, with the amount of information available depending upon when it was graded.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results