shape
carat
color
clarity

Digital Camera Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone have a suggestion for a really good digital camera? Nothing professional, but a high-quality camera for an amateur who mainly takes pictures on vacations, etc...

The reason I put this in Rocky Talky is because I have seen some wonderful photos of rings/stones, and after my camera failed miserably, I was thinking that I would want my next camera to be able to better capture images of the ring/engagement. If this topic fits better elsewhere, please move it to an appropriate forum.

Thanks everyone! ~4 weeks until the ring is finished!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 4:44:08 PM
Author:boston_jeff

Anyone have a suggestion for a really good digital camera? Nothing professional, but a high-quality camera for an amateur who mainly takes pictures on vacations, etc...

The reason I put this in Rocky Talky is because I have seen some wonderful photos of rings/stones, and after my camera failed miserably, I was thinking that I would want my next camera to be able to better capture images of the ring/engagement. If this topic fits better elsewhere, please move it to an appropriate forum.

Thanks everyone! ~4 weeks until the ring is finished!
I'm currently getting a new personal-use camera too Jeff. Some shutterbugs I respect recommend Canon & Nikon most highly. For my purposes the Canon SD700 IS appears to be the right fit (my current camera is an old Canon PowerShot). YMMV. In examples I've seen the blur reduction and low-light abilities result in very nice amateur jewelry photos.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=13019

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I'm certainly not the best photographer here, but I've had a series of Canon film and digitals and have never been dissapointed. I got my A430 a few years ago, based largely on information from the Digital Camera Resource Page. It's a lot like PS, but for cameras. Check out Jeff's picks for a place to start, then get your macro on!

Digital Camera Resource Page
Favorite picks per price range

p.s. I can't wait to see your final product!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are threads of this here already that you can search for BUT I would love to see a most recent version of this thread :)

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 5:47:55 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
there are threads of this here already that you can search for BUT I would love to see a most recent version of this thread :)

Oh I know, but unfortunately planned obsolescence catches up with those threads very fast... If I went by those threads, I would likely end up with the Best Digital Camera of 2005!

PS- Comparing our avatars is a prime example of why I need a new camera... puke city
15.gif
37.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
canon,
s3
710 IS
g7
In that order.

pocket camera:
PowerShot SD800 IS

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
wanted too add that I think the 710is is likely the best for most people if they dont need the 12x zoom of the s3, the s3 is a lot larger than the others and larger than purse size for most ladies where the 710is will fit in most mid sized purses no problem.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
fujifilm FinePix F30 is another cant go wrong choice.

Nikon p&s have fallen since the days of the 4000 series which where some of the best and id avoid them right now, in a few months that might change as the new models actualy hit the stores and review sites.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 5:59:16 PM
Author: boston_jeff

Date: 4/10/2007 5:47:55 PM

Oh I know, but unfortunately planned obsolescence catches up with those threads very fast... If I went by those threads, I would likely end up with the Best Digital Camera of 2005!

PS- Comparing our avatars is a prime example of why I need a new camera... puke city
15.gif
37.gif
hehe... actually jeff when I went through my pics (obviously I have no new ones ::waaaah
5.gif
I was inspired by your pic because I have some that are similar and was looking for them and was reminded of how springy this picture was. I used to have a small bit of it as an abstract avatar but never the whole shot so I thought I''d do it :) This pic is the one I was looking for because it reminded me of your pic which I love of your stone :)

cbOMC86.jpg

The top pic on this page is my avatar :)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cbs-omc-pix.50194/page-6

I really don''t like my camera though so I won''t recommend it. I admit that in manual it takes some fairly good macro shots, but they aren''t awesome IMO and it really fails to take other types of shots which is important for a camera you''re going to use for other than diamonds LOL!!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 6:20:23 PM
I admit that in manual it takes some fairly good macro shots

understatement of the year.

but they aren't awesome IMO

ridiculous statement of the year

and it really fails to take other types of shots which is important for a camera you're going to use for other than diamonds LOL!!

good point.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 6:35:13 PM

but they aren''t awesome IMO

and it really fails to take other types of shots which is important for a camera you''re going to use for other than diamonds LOL!!

good point.
okay I chuckled, and I thought of putting in a disclaimer, but I don''t think my shots are *crisp* like I would like them to be.

Honestly, I think my camera is myopic. I think that''s why it can take pictures of my diamond but pictures of my kids in a pool - everything is blurry. It is easily confused LOL

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 6:42:40 PM

okay I chuckled, and I thought of putting in a disclaimer, but I don''t think my shots are *crisp* like I would like them to be.

Honestly, I think my camera is myopic. I think that''s why it can take pictures of my diamond but pictures of my kids in a pool - everything is blurry. It is easily confused LOL

Did you see my thread? it looked like I was using a camera phone... and a bad one at that.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Jeff, I own the Canon SD700 IS that John Q. mentioned above, and I can vouch for its excellent performance.

For what you''re saying you need (vacations and macro of jewelry), it''s a perfect fit. Here''s a link to a thread with pictures I recently took of jewelry with this camera: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/woo-hoo-the-hardware-party-in-providence-ri.60154/

Features that I like about the camera: image stabilization (reduces hand shake for sharper pictures), and it''s decent in lower light situations (an improvement up from the SD550); it has variable ISO for lower light situations.

The primary diff between the SD 700 and 800 are these: 700 does macro at only 2cm, 800 requires a full 3cm. Also, range of 700 is 35mm-140mm; 800 is 28mm to 105mm. So, the 800 does a slightly wider angle shot (good for landscapes), but it won''t zoom in as closely as the 700, and you sacrifice a bit on the macro (which is where you get all the cool jewelry shots!). Also, the 700 is a 6mp where the 800 is a 7mp, but honestly, won''t make a hill of difference unless you''re printing posters! (Here''s where you can see the comparison for yourself: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd700is%2Ccanon_sd800is&show=all)

Other features: you can set color options (vivids or black/white) either pre-shoot or edit after shots. Has several pre-set scene options that take the guesswork out of portraits, kids/pets, etc.

It''s very intuitive and user-friendly, and it''s small so it''s easy to take along on vacation.

I used to have an older Nikon Coolpix, and my biggest gripe with it was how LOOOOOOOONG it took the camera to power up. The Canon - like a dream.

Amazon is having a sale on this one now; it''s also available online through Dell and through Newegg. I like it so well, I''m going to give it as a gift to my pseudo-niece who''s about to graduate from high school.

Hope this helps.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock

I have a Canon PowerShot SD800 IS. I Love it, love it, LOVE IT!

Here's a sample of what it can do.

SuzyQz3StoneRadiant.jpg

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 6:49:34 PM
Author: SuzyQZ

Here''s a sample of what it can do.

If I had the budget, right now, I''d run to Best Buy for this camera...what is the price range?

Great photo, BTW !

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 6:55:20 PM
Author: asquareguy

If I had the budget, right now, I''d run to Best Buy for this camera...what is the price range?

Great photo, BTW !

On sale for $349 @ amazon right now. That seems to be a good price, as it is up to $399 elsewhere.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my Canon PowerShot SD800 IS when it first came out for $399.

I just did a quick price search on Mysimon.com and got a price range of $277 to $356. I''m sure there are deals to be had out there!

This camera is the easiest to use and the shots are incredible, both macro and regular "people" shots. Landscapes are awesome with the wide angle lens!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 6:35:13 PM

but they aren''t awesome IMO

and it really fails to take other types of shots which is important for a camera you''re going to use for other than diamonds LOL!!

good point.
okay okay you''re right... it isn''t a bad camera LOL
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/spring-break-animals.60615/
but it still takes some shots really poorly... it''s a fujifilm camera... there are others that are better I''m sure, this one eats batteries like no tomorrow. I loved my old olympus camera that was stolen on my birthday a couple years ago
7.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say HP all the way.I am not good at taking pics but my friends are great with it.Their support is fantastic.You can call 24/7 and they will help you out on anything to do with it.( best kept secret) Give it a try... one of their high end models.You can ask them on www or telephone support before you purchase.If you need help with your camera ( which is great) go wih HP...

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock

FANTASTIC picture!!!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 9:25:16 PM
Date: 4/10/2007 9:19:17 PM

Author: Rock Candy

FANTASTIC picture!!!

Well if you liked that one, here''s the thread I started when I got my new camera. It''s chock full o'' pics
31.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-camera-lots-of-pictures.53106/

Holy Cow SuzyQZ - those are CRAZY FANTASTIC!!!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I love my Canon S3 Powershot. It is the EASIEST camera (IMO) -- the controls are located where they should be, but often aren''t on other cameras. Very user friendly. It''s very lightweight, and such a perfect size because it''s not too big and bulky, but it''s not tiny (which for me is also difficult). I also like that I can take short videos with it, and they come out pretty good. That''s a nice feature for vacations. Also you can use regular AA batteries -- I use rechargables. But you don''t have to have a special charger for it -- you could just use alkaline batteries. It''s very easy to be spontaneous with this camera. I know there are more sophisticated cameras that probably take better pictures, but they aren''t much good to me if I have to spend a lot of time thinking about the shot -- I''m no professional, and when I want to get a shot of the kids, or the cat, or whatever, I''ll miss the shot if I''m fooling with the settings. And because I''m able to get more shots, I''ve gotten much better and faster about composition and really get better shots. OH! It takes amazing available light photos. I highly recommend this camera.

I had a Sony Cybershot before this one. It took very amazing pictures, but it was bigger and heavier, and the controls were less logical to me. I had to set up a shot much more and it was less intuitive. I really had to think a lot more about how to set it, and I lost a LOT of shots. It also took a lot more time to be ready to shoot the next picture. But, it did take slightly better pictures, and the newer Sony models look very interesting to me. The controls are still not as well placed as the Canon''s, though.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I dont have any jewelry pics to share with the new camera, but we have a Nikon S9 and couldnt be happier. DH can easily slip it into his pocket, or I can toss it in my purse and take it places. Its a high quality, casual camera that can go anywhere. Lots of built-in features. Wish I had some pics to share...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 11:16:23 PM
Author: lumpkin
I love my Canon S3 Powershot. It is the EASIEST camera (IMO) -- the controls are located where they should be, but often aren''t on other cameras. Very user friendly. It''s very lightweight, and such a perfect size because it''s not too big and bulky, but it''s not tiny (which for me is also difficult). I also like that I can take short videos with it, and they come out pretty good. That''s a nice feature for vacations. Also you can use regular AA batteries -- I use rechargables. But you don''t have to have a special charger for it -- you could just use alkaline batteries. It''s very easy to be spontaneous with this camera. I know there are more sophisticated cameras that probably take better pictures, but they aren''t much good to me if I have to spend a lot of time thinking about the shot -- I''m no professional, and when I want to get a shot of the kids, or the cat, or whatever, I''ll miss the shot if I''m fooling with the settings. And because I''m able to get more shots, I''ve gotten much better and faster about composition and really get better shots. OH! It takes amazing available light photos. I highly recommend this camera.

I had a Sony Cybershot before this one. It took very amazing pictures, but it was bigger and heavier, and the controls were less logical to me. I had to set up a shot much more and it was less intuitive. I really had to think a lot more about how to set it, and I lost a LOT of shots. It also took a lot more time to be ready to shoot the next picture. But, it did take slightly better pictures, and the newer Sony models look very interesting to me. The controls are still not as well placed as the Canon''s, though.
look up jpg options in the manual.
set:
saturation 1
sharpness -1
leave the rest at 0
That will give you the saturated slightly soft pictures your used too with the cybershot.
I like the s3 default slightly better if your not going to do heavy editing.
If you want to do your own processing set everything to 0 except sharpness to -2 then use photoshop to bring up the sharpness and saturation on an image by image basis.
More work but better images once you get good at it.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 11:21:50 PM
Author: Skippy123

I have the Canon PowerShot SD900 IS

One quick note - the SD900 isn't an IS camera.....it doesn't have Image Stabilization. The SD700IS and SD800IS do have it, but the SD900 does not.

Not a big deal for macro photography, but since B/Jeff says he also wants it for vacations and general use, the IS feature may be important to him if he's taking pictures of people, etc.

Also, the SD900 is a 10mp camera, so the files are bigger and eat more of your storage memory.

Most people don't go much above 8x10 reprints, so the 10 mp capacity is overkill for most......a 6 or 7mp is more than capable.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 11:22:00 AM
Author: strmrdr

I love my Canon S3 Powershot. It is the EASIEST camera (IMO) -- the controls are located where they should be, but often aren't on other cameras. Very user friendly. It's very lightweight, and such a perfect size because it's not too big and bulky, but it's not tiny (which for me is also difficult). I also like that I can take short videos with it, and they come out pretty good. That's a nice feature for vacations. Also you can use regular AA batteries -- I use rechargables. But you don't have to have a special charger for it -- you could just use alkaline batteries. It's very easy to be spontaneous with this camera. I know there are more sophisticated cameras that probably take better pictures, but they aren't much good to me if I have to spend a lot of time thinking about the shot -- I'm no professional, and when I want to get a shot of the kids, or the cat, or whatever, I'll miss the shot if I'm fooling with the settings. And because I'm able to get more shots, I've gotten much better and faster about composition and really get better shots. OH! It takes amazing available light photos. I highly recommend this camera.

I had a Sony Cybershot before this one. It took very amazing pictures, but it was bigger and heavier, and the controls were less logical to me. I had to set up a shot much more and it was less intuitive. I really had to think a lot more about how to set it, and I lost a LOT of shots. It also took a lot more time to be ready to shoot the next picture. But, it did take slightly better pictures, and the newer Sony models look very interesting to me. The controls are still not as well placed as the Canon's, though.
set:
saturation 1
sharpness -1
leave the rest at 0
That will give you the saturated slightly soft pictures your used too with the cybershot.
If you want to do your own processing set everything to 0 except sharpness to -2 then use photoshop to bring up the sharpness and saturation on an image by image basis.
this would probably make my diamond pics better - the only thing I ever edit is size.... I should try messing with the sharpness.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 11:22:00 AM
Author: strmrdr

set:
saturation 1
sharpness -1
leave the rest at 0
Hey, thank you for the tip! I will do that. I edit nearly every picture I use. I have found that with available light photos I don''t need to do much to the contrast or color, depending on the available light source. Outside with indirect sunlight, or diffused (cloudy) sunlight, the colors are wonderful. I just don''t get that super sharpness I got with the Cybershot when I zoom in close from a distance, so I will definitely experiment and try the settings you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results