shape
carat
color
clarity

Digital Camera Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I just got the Canon A640~10mp...and I haven''t really had too much time to *play* around with it (or read the manual), but I''m impressed with it so far! Have taken about 400 pics and am still on the same set of rechargeables with lots of life to go!! I also got the 2G UltraII Sandisk SD card, so I''m set!

It''s not a teeny little camera though, but it''s the same size and body style as my 5yr-old 2mp Canon so I''m already comfortable with it!

While I was researching, I noticed that Canon had 10 out of 20 top cameras!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
OK... so I''ve narrowed it down to Canon, and I want Image Stablization for my shaky hands,

so...

S3 IS
SD700 IS
SD800 IS

Anyone have any strong support for one or the other, aside from the issues already mentioned?

Will I find the lack of zoom on the SD800 (28-105mm) annoying, or is it worth sacrificing some of that zoom to be able to wider than the SD700 (35-140mm)?

Is the S3 a better camera, ignoring size?

Thanks so much, sorry for the repetitive questions...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 1:32:16 AM
Author: boston_jeff
OK... so I''ve narrowed it down to Canon, and I want Image Stablization for my shaky hands,

so...

S3 IS
SD700 IS
SD800 IS

Anyone have any strong support for one or the other, aside from the issues already mentioned?

Will I find the lack of zoom on the SD800 (28-105mm) annoying, or is it worth sacrificing some of that zoom to be able to wider than the SD700 (35-140mm)?

Is the S3 a better camera, ignoring size?

Thanks so much, sorry for the repetitive questions...
s3 better... yes
The new 570IS is pretty sweet too for the price.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Part of what helped me decide on the S3 was that the critics LOVED it. I have never read a bad review of this camera.

Now, my husband is more prosumer than I am. He was a photographer on the yearbook staff back in high school, and he really knows the ins and outs of setting aperture, Fstop, etc. He''s looking at one of the Canon SLRs. Seems like a lot of the makers are coming out with new models within the next month or two, so we''re looking at sales on the current models. Seems like we always do that, not purposely, but it just works out that way.

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
We bought a Canon 20d used at National Camera. It fit my Tamron lenses I bought for an Elan II I have had for a long time, but it will also accept the Digital lenses canon has been making. The nice thing about buying the 20d used was it cost less than a new digital rebel. The mp count is less, but set to Raw I can take uncompressed pictures. So far as being able to work on them in Photoshop I just run the CR2 file through iphoto and save as TIFF. So far as space on the card, with a Gig flash card I get hundreds of images. Now the price of 2 gig cards is coming down.

I kept the Elan II body so I can run infrared film. TAKE THAT HAZE BWAHAHAHAHA!

Something to keep in mind, if looking for a dslr:
NIKON HAS EVER CHANGED THEIR LENS MOUNT.

Any Nikon lens fits a Nikon camera. If you don't mind a manual lens to have 30 years worth of inventory to choose from. Their stubby 50mm f1.9 lens has awesome optics. But the old automatic lenses also fit.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Hi strm,

What makes the S3 better than the SD700/800?

And will some of its added capabilities be lost on someone who is not an avid photographer? i.e., will it still be OK for someone who tends to shoot in "auto" mode most of the time?

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone else? Thanks
37.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you mind if I ask a quick question here Jeff?
1.gif

When I am looking for this macro thing - what should I be looking for? One of the canon ones I have seen (A710 IS) says 1cm..... will somebody please explain what this means?

Thanks

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Nikon CoolPix4600 and this is what I can do...not one of my best, but a favorite...but this camera has not been replaced with one as good as it...so like Strm says Canon is the best route for now - but I would not change my Nikon :}

Strmsring.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Maisie-- The Macro function is designated by a flower icon.

1cm means that you have to be at least 1cm away from the object (i.e., the bling) in order for the Macro function to work properly--- 1cm is very good!

Hope that helps!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 1:20:46 PM
Hi strm,

What makes the S3 better than the SD700/800?

And will some of its added capabilities be lost on someone who is not an avid photographer? i.e., will it still be OK for someone who tends to shoot in 'auto' mode most of the time?
more zoom range, larger lens, larger sensor, lower pixel density (less noise), faster AF, more options, less lens distortion.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2007 1:24:13 AM
Hey Maisie-- The Macro function is designated by a flower icon.

1cm means that you have to be at least 1cm away from the object (i.e., the bling) in order for the Macro function to work properly--- 1cm is very good!

Hope that helps!
Thankyou Jeff!
9.gif

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
So DH went out and bought me the Sd800, which is cool, except.. I can''t figure out how to change the language display! It''s all in Japanese..

Did anyone figure this out? I''m reading through the manual, but can''t find it, even though I''m following the steps. Well I think I am.

thanks Joan

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
Never mind, I found it! Had to take a quick course in Japanese.. :) Actually found it on another site that provided pictures of the setup menu.

Now I can pull out all my jewelry and snap away.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results