shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference specs on AGS preliminary report and final report?

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I was wondering if anyone has encountered a large difference between the preliminary specs and final specs on an AGS report. We had my moms diamond recut by BGD and we finally received the finished ring today with the AGS report.

When they sent the ring to AGS they said they got a preliminary report in and that the color was E VVS2. We just got the report with the diamond and it is listed as an I VS1. That is a HUGE discrepancy and we are so confused! We just emailed BGD to see if they have any idea whats going on.

Any insights would be welcome! I'll also post pics in SMTB tomorrow once I see the ring in person. My mom does say its stunning.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
Re: Difference specs on AGS preliminary report and final rep

What were the stats before the recut? Color/clarity? Are you sure the preliminary stats came from AGS and not the vendor?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

I imagine it's the difference between someone (not sure who--at BGD?) estimating the specs vs. an AGS gemologist actually grading the stone. I probably wouldn't worry too much about it; BGD will likely have a good answer for this.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Sadly the diamond only had a very poorly done appraisal a long time ago that I don't trust too much... that person called the stone a mine cut which it clearly wasn't. But they did say it was D/E.

When BGD told us it was an E VVS2 it was after it was off to AGS and they said that is what AGS preliminary said it was. I guess the person who told us that could have been confused, or we are confused. I guess we will just have to wait to hear back from our BGD contact.

I just feel so bad for my mom as this has been a LONG process! We mailed her diamond way back in the middle of December! And while she thinks the diamond is stunning, she is also very confused and sad by the discrepancy.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock

As far as I understand, a recut should not drop a stone's color grade so many steps. Coming back VS1 when originally quoted as VVS2 seems plausible. But I assume the huge color drop could be someone who gave the prelim stats wasn't really looking at it and just went by cert or off first glance. It's possible you have a strong flourescence which is tricking the color grade. Maybe AGS or the vendor mixed up the stones. I don't know. However many people do trust AGS but I've caught them several times being off from GIA grading by a couple steps. So I think they're good at grading cut but I still put my trust in GIA for stats.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

That sounds wrong. I would ask to speak to Brian or Lesley at BGD.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can't imagine that large a discrepancy - I'm sure they will sort it all out for you. Please keep us posted!

piano

Rough_Rock

That's odd.
I wish you a lot of luck.
Is there anyway you can check to see whether it is your stone, the one you sent in for recut, and not some other random mix-up?
Man, that's tough!

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Just heard back from Katie that Leslie is out of the office until Monday so it will be a few more days until we hear back. I'll keep you all updated. It is just so strange!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't think the fluorescence has anything to do with it as I remember reading that GIA grades stone color under a special light which removes the affect of fluorescence. Diamonds with fluorescence only look whiter in light with that aspect in it, like the sun or disco lighting.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kemurphy|1464899472|4039506 said:
I was wondering if anyone has encountered a large difference between the preliminary specs and final specs on an AGS report. We had my moms diamond recut by BGD and we finally received the finished ring today with the AGS report.

When they sent the ring to AGS they said they got a preliminary report in and that the color was E VVS2. We just got the report with the diamond and it is listed as an I VS1. That is a HUGE discrepancy and we are so confused! We just emailed BGD to see if they have any idea whats going on.

Any insights would be welcome! I'll also post pics in SMTB tomorrow once I see the ring in person. My mom does say its stunning.
Did BGD send the complete ring, with diamond mounted, to AGS -- and it was AGS who sent the ring to your mother? Or did AGS grade the recut diamond when it was loose & return it to BGD, who then mounted the diamond and shipped off the ring to your mom?

AGS is now offering reports on diamonds mounted in jewelry, but those reports not only do not include a cut grade, they also do not assign a specific color grade; rather, these reports apparently always describe the mounted diamond as being within a 2-grade span, e.g., E-F or G-H:
https://www.americangemsociety.org/en/mounted-diamond-evaluation-report
So, the report you received doesn't sound as if it was one of AGS's mounted diamond evaluation reports.

On the other hand, if AGS assessed the recut diamond while it was loose, seems odd that BGD didn't immediately advise you -- before setting the diamond -- that AGS had "downgraded" the stone from what AGS preliminarily indicated.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock

pyramid said:
Don't think the fluorescence has anything to do with it as I remember reading that GIA grades stone color under a special light which removes the affect of fluorescence. Diamonds with fluorescence only look whiter in light with that aspect in it, like the sun or disco lighting.
That's not right. GIA grade would have any effect of fluorescence embedded in the colour grade.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium

The fluorescence on the diamond is negligible so that can't be the source of confusion. It was recut, sent to AGS, returned and then mounted and then received by us. We didn't have the AGS report number so we were very surprised when we picked it up and had the official AGS report!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Any updates? I'm very curious to hear what might have happened here.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Sadly I still haven't heard a reply. I emailed again yesterday so hopefully they will reply soon. As soon as I get word I'll report back!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kemurphy|1465507196|4042370 said:
Sadly I still haven't heard a reply. I emailed again yesterday so hopefully they will reply soon. As soon as I get word I'll report back!

WTH?? BGD has always had bad communication in my experience. It's not right that you have to keep waiting to hear an explanation. I wonder why BGD didn't tell you about the stats as soon as the diamond came back?

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock

Laila619|1465509059|4042384 said:

WTH?? BGD has always had bad communication in my experience. It's not right that you have to keep waiting to hear an explanation. I wonder why BGD didn't tell you about the stats as soon as the diamond came back?

Ask for Leslie....poor Leslie, she's the one to fix everything when things hit the fan at BGD :shifty: She's very good and effective! Good luck! I am very interested in how this turns out for you as well! Good luck.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LaineyRod said:
Laila619|1465509059|4042384 said:

Ask for Leslie....poor Leslie, she's the one to fix everything when things hit the fan at BGD :shifty: She's very good and effective! Good luck! I am very interested in how this turns out for you as well! Good luck.

This. Call and ask to speak to Leslie. They seem to do better with calls vs email. I'm really interested to see what happened as well.

Lainey....your new avatar is such a tease!!!! I want to see that honker on your hand, LOL!!!!

Skhii

Shiny_Rock

Hi kemurphy,
Were you able to get an explanation from Brian Gavin? Also looking forward to the seeing the ring in SMTB!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results