shape
carat
color
clarity

Did Your Preferences Change After Trying on Rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone,

I found that the look I liked going into my first store to try on rings (princess cut solitaire or with baguettes) really wasn''t what I liked when I could actually see them in person (cushion with pave). Did most of you find that you liked the same styles when you could try them on that you had expected to like ahead of time?

a) Yes, my original idea was pretty much what I ended up with.
b) I stuck with my same center stone shape, but got a different type of setting.
c) I got the same type of setting, but with a different center stone.
d) I got a different center stone plus different setting.

Just curious! :)

Hunali

Rough_Rock
I picked a) Yes, my original idea was pretty much what I ended up with.

Three years ago, I had absolutely fallen in love with the look of three stones (all rounds).
30.gif
And when my bf and I started looking for rings this summer, I secretly hoped that they would look good on me, and they did! We played around with the setting, and fortunately the look of the exact setting was all his idea.
19.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock

I started off thinking I wanted a princess with trillion sapphire side stones (which I still love), and ended up with an oval center stone set in micro-pave....and had a bazillion ideas in between.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock

It was unfortunate that living in the Middle East and not being able to find shops with delicately styled engagement rings, I had to dream about what I thought I wanted. I started out wanting a round diamond solitaire, but then (thanks to all the fabulous rings displayed on Pricescope) I did the whole circle of then wanting a Princess solitaire, then a Princess 3-stone, then a 3-stone round, then a cushion cut, then back to a round stone, then back to a cushion cut and then finally, after deciding on a round stone with pave. However, when we reached the States and looked in the stores, I ended up with a round stone with prong set side diamonds round the band and matching wedding band, which looked and felt good when tried on. I made the right choice for me, but I still love the look of a large round center stone and a pear either side. Next week I''ll probably hanker for something else!!!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I guess I''m a "b". I knew I wanted a princess cut stone, but I originally wanted trillions on the side or a three stone princess cut ring. But, after gaining a lot of knowledge here and learning I could get more bang for the buck without sacrificing cut, I opted for the solitaire setting
1.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never liked halo settings made with melee in bezels until I started looking for a canary diamond. When I first saw my canary in its halo setting, I knew I wanted the stone and thought I would have it taken out of the halo setting and get it set as a solitaire. But when I tried it on, I fell in love with the way it was set and didn''t make any changes. (It''s on page 4 of the "show me your rings with halos" thread.)

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Gotta go with D.

I changed my orginial idea completely.

At first I wanted a radiant...then I tried it on..... nope... Then I wanted a princess... and I stuck with this one for a LLLOOONNGGG time.

THEN... I had to have an OMC!! HAD TO!!!!! NOpe.

The funny thing was... I knew... without a doubt.. that I did NOT want some boring ole round stone...
31.gif
I refused to have the same shape as soooo many others did...
41.gif

Of Course I should have known that this close mindedness was going to get me in the end. So once... I went into try on rings and I though.. what the heck.. lets try on a round. HELLOOOOOO LOVED IT!! But I was not 100% convinced yet.

Then I wanted them only in a solitare setting. I loved the tulip setting... but then I tried on a ''crown'' setting. I LOVED IT!!!

But then I tried on a bezel set like Etienne and I was really in love. But then... I started thinking.... I did not wanta white diamond... I wanted something with a little color... and that is when the OMC with the lower color came in. I dappled a while with the thought of a yellow diamond... BUt THEN I decided a scrumptous congac or champange diamond would just be AMAZING!! I tried one on at a MAUL store, in an diamond halo and I LOVED IT LOVED IT!!!! I knew I wanted a halo setting then.

Then I looked into Mokume, but had none to try on. Then I saw a Manderin garnet in a Mokume setting... *drool*

So Then I started to think.. hmmm... colored gemstone in a white gold halo setting.....

YES!!! Then I fell IN LOVE with the Richard Homer cuts and I HAD to have a round and I knew that I wanted that orangy red color of a spessertite..and voila....

MY yummy!!!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Mine,
I love the evolution of your decision. You really thought about what you wanted and didn''t just pick something or buy a diamond because that''s what everyone does when they get engaged. I love your halo e-ring with coordinating bands. I know I''ll never see another one like it on anyone in the real world. That''s really cool I think.

My original e-ring (over 20 years ago) was exactly what I had in mind. I knew I wanted a marquise with baguettes on either side. It was the 1980''s and there really were not a lot of choices. I knew I did not want a round, and the ring had to sit flush with a wedding ring. I liked pear at that time too, but since I had gotten a diamond from a previous failed engagement that was a heart shape (I was really young at that time), the pear look too similar to that, which is why I went with marquise. There were no asscher, princess, radiant, etc. cuts way back then -- only round, marquise, pear, heart or emerald.
20.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 11:21:05 AM
Author: diamondlil
Mine,
I love the evolution of your decision. You really thought about what you wanted and didn''t just pick something or buy a diamond because that''s what everyone does when they get engaged. I love your halo e-ring with coordinating bands. I know I''ll never see another one like it on anyone in the real world. That''s really cool I think.
Thanks Diamondlil~ But the main thing is... I never would have opened my mind to new things if I had not come here to Pscope!! I would probably be stuck with something that I loved... not ness something I adored.

With the information and the education that I recieved from all the wonderful people on Pscope, I was able to make my choice with CONFIDENCE.. and that is a wonderful thing.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I'd have to go with D.

I was POSITIVE I wanted an asscher. Searched high and low for one that I liked but they sure are hard to come by. Plus I had no idea what kind of setting I wanted. Looked at settings with baguettes, other side stones, just couldn't figure it out.

Then a jeweler tried to sell me a princess as a consolation prize for not having any asschers to show me. I liked it but wasn't in love. Although he did put it in a pave setting and that's when I decided I loved the idea of pave.

Then I tried on a JB Star cushion cut with halo and simply encrusted in diamonds. That was it. I knew. I was in love. It didn't look too engagement ring-ish which was a big deal for me. So using that ring and the Tiffany Legacy as inspiration, my jeweler created something that I'm just crazy about.

But I will get that asscher one day...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the information and the education that I recieved from all the wonderful people on Pscope, I was able to make my choice with CONFIDENCE.. and that is a wonderful thing.
Well said Mine. I will say A for me. I am a very traditional with jewelry and prefer mine very plain and with yellow gold. I have always known what I like best and my dream ring which I was so lucky to get recently is exactly what I always wanted. I have been waiting for it for many years. The choices now are overwhelming with all the prong styles, golds, diamonds, coloured stones, pave, it must be so hard to choose! PS is terrific for being able to see exactly what is out there, and to help bring to life what may as yet only be in your imagination. I really enjoy looking at all the lovely stones and styles and admire them, yet know I have exactly what I wanted - as Mine said, to make the choice with confidence. Still I have more fingers, ears, and even toes yet to adorn!
31.gif

Hamster

Rough_Rock
b) with a little bit of d) thrown in.

I started out wanting a princess cut in a plain platinum basket setting. I had seen some pre-mounted e-rings at Birks and thought FOR SURE this is what I wanted. When I started looking around the US for something similar to the Birks setting (platinum basket setting with no criss crossing at the bottom), I happened upon the Ritani Endless Love pave set basket setting. I had been so certain that I wanted a traditional solitaire setting, but when I saw the sublte sparkle of this setting and how the thin band looked so delicate, I was sold.

Then, during my search for a princess cut diamond, I started to become disillusioned by all the "blah" looking diamonds I was seeing. Of course, when the salesperson showed me a round brilliant next to the blah princess, I thought I would prefer the same setting with a round diamond.

But then I found out about the AGS-0 Princess cuts and I was back to wanting a princess diamond. If it hadn''t been for these, I think I would have dropped the idea of getting a princess. The one we ultimately chose was an incredibly beautiful AGS-0 princess cut diamond and I couldn''t be happier. Can''t wait to get the finished ring back in a few weeks!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My preference changes weekly, really
9.gif
But I figured a 6 prong Tiffany-style setting, while definitely plain, will always appeal to me, whether now or in 35 years. It''s just that I have to add to the collection!

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
My ring looks NOTHING like I imagined I would pick...but when I saw it, it was "the one"...I always wanted an emerald cut w/ baguette sides...still DROOL over them but my asscher in it''s art deco setting is "mine", and paired w/my wedding band it''s perfect!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I got my first choice...an Asscher. I have loved the cut since I was a kid...

My friend wanted an asshcer...but got an Emerald cut first since it looked larger (table) and then switched to an oval for a little more sparkle. She was never happy though and eventually switched to her first love, an asscher.

Good luck!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2005 11:13:09 PM
Author:SoonIHope

c) I got the same type of setting, but with a different center stone.

Just curious! :)
I had a long drawn out frustrating situation...and I almost just didn't want a ringat all anymore. My original e-ringS came from Tiffanys and were NOT rounds. Tiffany's messed up a few times and by the 3rd shot we gave up. So we waited it out, and started over. I came upon this cut, a modified round, and we both loved it. We ended up going with that. I also didn't know if Id stick with a simple solitaire but I did. And I like the simple solitaire. Til I add pears.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep definitely .... the first things we really tried on were HOF dream stones and a stunning setting at a jeweler in san luis obispo. i was convinced THAT was the set for me. but lo and behold 3 months later and after trying on countless rings and stones, what i got was sooo different than what i tried on at first. i think that''s part of the fun...to keep an open mind and see what you feel you love the best in the end!!

but then again, as some others noted, our tastes can change from DAY to WEEK...sometimes i wish i had interchangeable rings for different days of the week..hehehe.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My answer is C - same setting, different center stone.

I originally intended on getting a princess cut and even walked out of the jewelers with a princess solitaire, but after less than a week, I changed my mind and traded it up for an ideal cut RB.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I gotta say "B"

I knew the exact stone style/specs that I wanted, but had no idea as to the type of setting I wanted...Until I tried about 100 on, I finally found what I was looking for.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
{{{Did Your Preferences Change After Trying on Rings?}}}}

It seems that they change with the wind!

Actually, not totally, but I changed my original setting during engagement (to me it looked a lot different with a finished ring, than an empty "semi-mount" in the store with a stone set on top, and you can''t move your hand because the diamond will fall out, with jewelry store lighting, etc. etc. etc..) , and now am going to change it again. (Which I kind of knew I might) As for the stone, I let my hubby pick it, but in theory my taste in stone shapes changes all the time too. :)

I also find that I love a lot of rings that folks here on PS have, BUT - would I like them on my hand? It seems I have to wear the ring myself for a month to know for sure....... sigh....

laney

Brilliant_Rock
b) I stuck with my same center stone shape, but got a different type of setting.

I did want a round. That was easy - and I got it set in a plain tiffany setting. Which I thought was just fine. Until I started looking at wedding bands and everything went out of the window.

So now I have 3 sided pave w/miligraining and small sidestones. DEFINATLY not what I started out with..

njc

Brilliant_Rock
B for me. I went from a VERY modern Scott Kay tension type setting to my lovely little antique-y Tacori.
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jessesgirl .. did you ever post your wedding band with your ring. I was always curious what band you''d pick with your halo? Did you get it at Hummingbird too? I looked there after you did & love all their things. Will probably get a band from there myself. Thanks! Sorry to hijack thread ...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
In answer to the thread though ... B) but I don''t have it yet so I can''t say "long run" how it will end up. Wanted an Asscher in an octagonal split shank halo ... tried on lots of settings & ended up w/ no halo, no split shank ... more solitareish with prongs that square-out the stone (thought I HATED that in pictures, not in person). Also ended up choosing something much higher than I thought I wanted, cathedralish-even ...
HANDS CHANGE EVERYTHING!

molly3795

Rough_Rock
d) amazed that what I thought I wanted and what I ended up buying were so different!! thought I had to have a radiant with side stones, ended up with a solitaire pear...couldn''t be happier!! just keep an open mind!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B for me.

When we first got engaged, I was POSITIVE I wanted a round brilliant solitaire in platinum. After wearing it around for 2-3 months, I decided I wanted something a little more ornate. So we re-mounted the diamond in a Tacori that had a little baguette on either side and filligree detail. I realized that I liked this style after noticing the antique look on other women (not because I had tried on other styles).

Fast forward to several years later, I'm now on the hunt for a new stone and I've come full circle -- it'll be set in a simple platinum solitaire setting. :)

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
KristyDarling,

Darling,

Would you be willing to expand on your "full circle" experience? I am about to mount my stone, for the upgrade...and can''t decide on the simple sleek solitaire...or the ornate 3 sided square pave.

I feel you surely have a few great points to share that I as well as others may learn from. If you are willling, please spill the beans, ...Darling.

Door Knob

Oh the condensed answer for me is B...the board can''t take a play by play on this year and a half journey on my ring hunt...my story would over load the server. B...just B.
37.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Door,

I'm happy to share. I apologize in advance if I'm hijacking this thread.
21.gif
I'm afraid there's nothing especially enlightening about my experience. I've just decided to keep things simple with my upgrade. I started out with a 6-prong Tiffany style platinum solitaire band when I got engaged. A few months later, and after noticing many other San Francisco ladies with intricate and delicate antique style settings, I just HAD to switch to a Tacori setting. I love it, but since DH and I have decided to upgrade my stone, I'm faced with the happy dilemma of needing to choose a new setting since my Tacori won't accomodate a much larger stone.

DH and I are headed to an appraiser's office tomorrow to examine 2 potential RB stones: a 3.01 and a 3.56, both AGS ideals (under the old standards) and both HSI1. I have a size 4.5 finger, and I don't want sidestones or any other detail that will detract from the stone. I want it to be front and center. The size of the stone itself is overwhelming enough, and I think having other bells and whistles around it will just look odd on me (I'm a jeans and t-shirt Subaru-driving girl). So, as much as I admire halos and bead-set designs and micropave, I just don't think it'll look right on me. Not with this new honker of a stone. Now, as for sidestones? Maybe someday, when I can more convincingly carry off that magnitude of blingage....say when I'm in my 40's (just a few years away, eek). But right now, I think a sleek, simple platinum solitaire will be so elegant and perfect. Paired with my eternity wedding band (2mm, antique style engraved, .5cttw), it'll be classic and clean-looking. And, if/when I want to switch the stone out to a new setting, I won't feel so guilty about leaving this simple, fairly low-cost setting by the wayside (but with a new occupant -- perhaps a gorgeous cornflower blue sapphire!)
11.gif

Demelza had started a thread in her search for the perfect solitaire setting...you may want to check it out (see below) since there are TONS of gorgeous solitaire pictures in it. I think the thread is called "Scott Kay pave band." In that thread, I found the PERFECT setting. It was available at a store called Lockes Diamantaires and I'm thinking of having a local jeweler here make something like it.

Unless I fall in love with a different solitaire setting, this will be it! (it's the first ring at the top of the page, also attached below)
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/scott-kay-pave-band.34492/page-7

Lockes Diamantaire.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the detailed insight. It makes perfect and logical sense...I think you shed some light on my delimma.

Your new honker will be as wide as your finger! OOoo weee...you be sure to post as soon as you get home. Too excited for you to have already found your perfect setting. It is and will be fabulous with that 3.5+ carat. man it is going to really look huge with the flair of the head shape and your little fingers.

Thanks for directing to the thread on solitaires. It was most informative.

Darling, have fun meeting your new best friend tomorrow!
36.gif

Door Knob

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Doorknob. I''m excited but am a bit apprehensive about the H color. My current stone is an E and I have a feeling the difference will be noticeable to my eye. We''ll see though. Good luck to you on your search as well!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results