color
clarity

Did you regret changing your setting?

Did you regret changing your setting?

• Total voters

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The side stones I picked are from IDJ. They gave me a great price on side stones and to make the ring for me. At least I think so! I asked to see the stones in person before committing to a ring.

Okay! In that case you need to ask them to show you picture of their three stone settings and then once you choose that, you can tell them any other preferences such as prong style, etc.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Okay! In that case you need to ask them to show you picture of their three stone settings and then once you choose that, you can tell them any other preferences such as prong style, etc.

They did send me this lovely ring to see if I like it. Maybe it’s a PSer’s ring :) I know for me, right off the bat I want a thinner band. I also think I want gold this time around with a platinum head. Something different for me and I like gold with my skin tone.

Attachments

• 71FBE4C1-CCE8-4C1C-97ED-C2F6ACC9AD96.jpeg
    71FBE4C1-CCE8-4C1C-97ED-C2F6ACC9AD96.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 60

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my concern. You gave me something to think about. I’m not a technical person and very laid back by nature. I’m concerned it will be too flat or too straight across and look like a RHR. I also don’t like a lot of prongs and thick tab like looking prongs. I don’t know how to say all that without it all getting lost in translation.

For me, that is why who I choose to make it will make or break the ring. I also cannot micromanage the person making the ring. The vendor would need to know exactly what would be beautiful and wearable. There are very few vendors I would trust. And I have to have seen examples of other 3 stone rings they have already made to be certain I like the way they make prongs, the height of their settings, workmanship, etc. I don't like looking at CADs and don't trust myself anyway.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
For me, that is why who I choose to make it will make or break the ring. I also cannot micromanage the person making the ring. The vendor would need to know exactly what would be beautiful and wearable. There are very few vendors I would trust. And I have to have seen examples of other 3 stone rings they have already made to be certain I like the way they make prongs, the height of their settings, workmanship, etc. I don't like looking at CADs and don't trust myself anyway.

Good post! Who do you trust? Can you share your list and example pics if you have any? I’m nervous about looking at CADs tbh.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good post! Who do you trust? Can you share your list and example pics if you have any? I’m nervous about looking at CADs tbh.

Sorry to say but only Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch and Leon Mege. That's just me. I've seen only Victor Canera's and Steven Kirsch's work in person. I love how Leon Mege's rings look, on his website and the examples I've seen on PS. These are the only people who I would send over my stones and say I want this ring. Can it be done with X size ring and these size stones? And if they say yes, I'm good to go. And if they say no, it's back to the drawing board, but with their recommendations. I can only get it from Victor if I buy all my stones from him, so that's a no go. I realize they are pricey but for me, it's worth it given my personal limitations.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That’s actually a great idea! Thank you. I may do that.

I would try Berricle....I love their rings..I’m wearing a asscher solitaire on my right hand. They looks so real so you would get a good idea if you like it for the long term.

K98

Rough_Rock
Here’s the side profile:

607E3CC2-8719-45DF-A940-FF04FC1EEDD6.jpeg

In a side profile, pay attention to how the inner prongs of the side stone angle against the prongs of the center stone. If they’re close together and nearly parallel, the stones will look more “meshed together,” especially if the center stone is set higher than the side stones. The one you showed is very similar to mine, and I feel my stones do look more continuous rather than distinct. E0B03CDB-D9D5-4093-B885-EF1E7663C15A.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would try Berricle....I love their rings..I’m wearing a asscher solitaire on my right hand. They looks so real so you would get a good idea if you like it for the long term.

I agree! I've bought 5 berricle 3 stone rings. Each has helped me figure out what would and would not work for me. I have the asscher 3 stone, and as gorgeous as that would be if they were real diamonds, I found myself getting bored of the straight lines in less than a week. I would never have guessed. Thank goodness I test drove some square and emerald cuts before committing.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones in this setting look lovely and distinct if that is what you're aiming for.
You wouldn't think this would look great cause the diamonds look too separated. But when you look at the video, it looks perfect.
1611270610087.png

This is a setting I love. You do get the wall of bling look, but not a complete wall. They are separate enough to see 90% of the outline of each stone. I am also the biggest sucker for tri-wires.
1611270565461.png

1611270767050.png
And this one below is from Steven Kirsch, which I also love. I really love that he does not set the side stones too low, and that they are actually quite angled to achieve separation.
1611270517638.png

Last edited:

K98

Rough_Rock
The stones in this setting look lovely and distinct if that is what you're aiming for.

This is a setting I love. You do get the wall of bling look, but not a complete wall. They are separate enough to see 90% of the outline of each stone.

Ooh, you know what else really makes a difference in this example is the prong orientation—with a traditional four prong basket for all three stones, the inside prongs of the side stones sit right in the corners of where the stones meet and make it seem more continuous. In your trellis example, they’re not there, and that really shows the distinction! This is a great idea.

Mine are definitely distinct on the side view, but you can see how the prongs blur it all together on the head on view

Attachments

• CF942473-9A2E-4DB3-8EB1-11E24E81DB7E.jpeg
    CF942473-9A2E-4DB3-8EB1-11E24E81DB7E.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 140
  • CA656A86-85B9-46B6-9FDD-7E72D6A55D07.jpeg
    CA656A86-85B9-46B6-9FDD-7E72D6A55D07.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 129
  • BE655693-2914-4F7D-8A91-954BAA7415D7.jpeg
    BE655693-2914-4F7D-8A91-954BAA7415D7.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, you know what else really makes a difference in this example is the prong orientation—with a traditional four prong basket for all three stones, the inside prongs of the side stones sit right in the corners of where the stones meet and make it seem more continuous. In your trellis example, they’re not there, and that really shows the distinction! This is a great idea.

Mine are definitely distinct on the side view, but you can see how the prongs blur it all together on the head on view

Good point karen! The prongs would result in more white reflections. I think your 3 stone is very well done. I can certainly see a distinction between each stone. But also I think each person's level of desired distinction is different, so what might be enough for me may not be enough for someone else. It is also another reason why prong work matters.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
You wouldn't think this would look great cause the diamonds look too separated. But when you look at the video, it looks perfect.
1611270610087.png

This is a setting I love. You do get the wall of bling look, but not a complete wall. They are separate enough to see 90% of the outline of each stone. I am also the biggest sucker for tri-wires.
1611270565461.png

1611270767050.png
And this one below is from Steven Kirsch, which I also love. I really love that he does not set the side stones too low, and that they are actually quite angled to achieve separation.
1611270517638.png

I love love love the tri wire band that forms a trellis by VC. I’ve seen that more and I gravitate towards that look. I think I want the separation bc I don’t want a ring that goes straight across. Does that make sense? And the Kirsch iteration is amazing too!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock

Your ring is amazing! I’m leaning towards the angled look like yours. Who made your ring? Your prongs are so subtle. I’m not a fan of a heavy prong look that you typically see in a 3 stone.

K98

Rough_Rock
Your ring is amazing! I’m leaning towards the angled look like yours. Who made your ring? Your prongs are so subtle. I’m not a fan of a heavy prong look that you typically see in a 3 stone.

Yeah, neither was I! Especially with a small finger, I knew I didn’t want big blunt prongs.

The ring was done by Joe Escobar diamonds, a local multi-generational family place, and all I’ve got for info on the setting is a 6 digit item number on my paperwork that doesn’t match anything on Stuller’s site, which is where I’d have assumed it was from, because it was not on the JE website and it was definitely not custom (the stamping, if there ever was any, got lost in the resizing). To me, it looks like a very standard basket setting. They just had it in stock already and brought it out to me.

The baskets for the side stones were actually a millimeter too large, since I wanted slightly smaller side stones, and I was worried they might end up looking almost bezel set, but I didn’t want to go full custom (like you, I live in fear of CADs!). They reworked them just a touch by scooching the top and bottom of the basket girdle closer together by about half a millimeter so it didn’t show all the way around the stone, and the metal is just visible along the band line at the inner and outer edges of the side stones (you can see this if you zoom in on the angled shot). Waiting to see what they did with that was enough “customization” drama for me! I prefer stock everything because then I can see exactly what it’s like before I decide.

The mounting (most mountings) comes with long “raw” prongs before it‘s set, so you should be able to tell them how you want them shaped (within reason). I asked for as sharp of claw prongs as they felt were appropriate for the stone size and facet pattern, and they really delivered.

I actually got a fake sterling replica* on Etsy and it’s almost identical, except the side stones are a tiny bit higher and the prongs are blunt, and the prongs really make a difference, you’re right. Definitely don’t be afraid to request the prong finishing you want, and give them pictures if you need to.

If you go search Stuller’s website you can see a ton of three stone rings that are set further apart than the standard without having to go the route of ornate vintage Edwardian style If that’s not your thing.

*when he saw how convincing the replica was, which I had intended for travel, my husband said “we could have saved a whole lot of money on this endeavor” LOL.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All!
Let’s talk about setting regrets! I know some of you have mentioned you changed your setting for whatever reason and regretted it. And as we know, settings can be costly and a quick way of having your money flush down the toilet. Now that I’m looking for side stones and purchased a pair-I’m wondering, will I regret it? Will I regret going from a solitaire to a 3 stone? If you have done this can you share your thoughts and experiences?

Both looks are classic - I know, but to me me there’s something so special about a classic solitaire.

What are your thoughts?

That's a tough question. Solitaire is classic. Three stone is also a classic. Both elegant and beautiful in their own ways. You cannot beat a 3 stone for finger coverage but you also cannot beat a solitaire for classic elegance. With a 3 stone it is more about the ring as a whole and the line of sparkle vs a solitaire where it is more about the center stone IMO. Proportion is critical.

I am no help at all because there is no wrong or right but just what you love and want at this time. Keeping in mind tastes and preferences change and that doesn't make your decision right now wrong. It's just what you want right now and will enjoy wearing the most.

If you do go for a 3 stone just keep your solitaire setting and you can always change back if you so choose. And you can take the 2 sidetones and create earrings from them. :)

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree that proportion is critical with a 3 stone. A 3 stone is just as much a classic as a solitiare is. I don't think you'd regret a 3 stone, provided you are sure what proportion of side stones is most pleasing to you. Personally, I don't want them smaller, not competing with the center stone. Have fun, take your time deciding, and look at lots of photos.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent point about proportions - there can be a big diff in looks - personal preference.
For ME, I went with colored side stones so as not to blend with my diamond.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that proportion is critical with a 3 stone. A 3 stone is just as much a classic as a solitiare is. I don't think you'd regret a 3 stone, provided you are sure what proportion of side stones is most pleasing to you. Personally, I don't want them smaller, not competing with the center stone. Have fun, take your time deciding, and look at lots of photos.

My center is 1.02 and the sides I purchased (they should be arriving today) are .40.
things:

1) I don’t want my center stone to look smaller.
2) and I don’t want the ring to go st across.
3) I don’t want to notice the prongs. I’m not a fan of thick heavy prongs.

Like @karendiben mentioned the prongs are important to me and CADs overwhelm me.
Plus there are so many different style baskets.
I want the stones to flow beautifully but still have their own presence. Is that even possible? I don’t know.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent point about proportions - there can be a big diff in looks - personal preference.
For ME, I went with colored side stones so as not to blend with my diamond.

Colored stones sound AMAZING!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
That's a tough question. Solitaire is classic. Three stone is also a classic. Both elegant and beautiful in their own ways. You cannot beat a 3 stone for finger coverage but you also cannot beat a solitaire for classic elegance. With a 3 stone it is more about the ring as a whole and the line of sparkle vs a solitaire where it is more about the center stone IMO. Proportion is critical.

I am no help at all because there is no wrong or right but just what you love and want at this time. Keeping in mind tastes and preferences change and that doesn't make your decision right now wrong. It's just what you want right now and will enjoy wearing the most.

If you do go for a 3 stone just keep your solitaire setting and you can always change back if you so choose. And you can take the 2 sidetones and create earrings from them. :)

I think I’m going to take a step back. I purchased the side stones, but if I love them I don’t want to rush in making the ring. I’m not great at describing specifics of how I want the ring to look, but I have an idea. Sadly, I suck at drawing too. I want to love the 3 stone and I know I will if I take my time.

There are so many styles of a 3 stone that I want to get it right the first time.

*when he saw how convincing the replica was, which I had intended for travel, my husband said “we could have saved a whole lot of money on this endeavor” LOL.

Better than what my DH said when he saw my Berricle set: "Oh, I like that more than the old one you had", as in my actual wedding set! :x2

Reactions: K98
I think I’m going to take a step back. I purchased the side stones, but if I love them I don’t want to rush in making the ring. I’m not great at describing specifics of how I want the ring to look, but I have an idea. Sadly, I suck at drawing too. I want to love the 3 stone and I know I will if I take my time.

There are so many styles of a 3 stone that I want to get it right the first time.

I hear ya. I'm the same way. I need help with nailing down specifics on why I prefer one design over another. Definitely important to find a jeweler who clicks with you and is able to help you articulate exactly what you want.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree completely. Do not settle. I feel like that is my motto on PS and I am always sharing that advice. Take your time. Do not settle. Try enjoying the process. I also suck at drawing and I get that it can be difficult to illustrate how you envision the ring. Look at all the 3 stone styles you can online. There are so many gorgeous styles of 3 stones. Almost infinite in choice it seems. And look at all the vendor sites where there are so many beautiful examples. VC has amazing 3 stone options. But there are so many others too. Good luck.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, neither was I! Especially with a small finger, I knew I didn’t want big blunt prongs.

The ring was done by Joe Escobar diamonds, a local multi-generational family place, and all I’ve got for info on the setting is a 6 digit item number on my paperwork that doesn’t match anything on Stuller’s site, which is where I’d have assumed it was from, because it was not on the JE website and it was definitely not custom (the stamping, if there ever was any, got lost in the resizing). To me, it looks like a very standard basket setting. They just had it in stock already and brought it out to me.

The baskets for the side stones were actually a millimeter too large, since I wanted slightly smaller side stones, and I was worried they might end up looking almost bezel set, but I didn’t want to go full custom (like you, I live in fear of CADs!). They reworked them just a touch by scooching the top and bottom of the basket girdle closer together by about half a millimeter so it didn’t show all the way around the stone, and the metal is just visible along the band line at the inner and outer edges of the side stones (you can see this if you zoom in on the angled shot). Waiting to see what they did with that was enough “customization” drama for me! I prefer stock everything because then I can see exactly what it’s like before I decide.

The mounting (most mountings) comes with long “raw” prongs before it‘s set, so you should be able to tell them how you want them shaped (within reason). I asked for as sharp of claw prongs as they felt were appropriate for the stone size and facet pattern, and they really delivered.

I actually got a fake sterling replica* on Etsy and it’s almost identical, except the side stones are a tiny bit higher and the prongs are blunt, and the prongs really make a difference, you’re right. Definitely don’t be afraid to request the prong finishing you want, and give them pictures if you need to.

If you go search Stuller’s website you can see a ton of three stone rings that are set further apart than the standard without having to go the route of ornate vintage Edwardian style If that’s not your thing.

LOL that’s funny! Is your replica still available on Etsy? I was going to check out Berricle too like @MamaBee suggested as well as Amazon. @tyty333 posted some nice replicas too. I’m one of those ppl that’s ok with stock settings too. My previous ER was custom and I was not happy with the outcome. I didn’t even reinvent the wheel with that setting but the basket was all wrong IMO. And true to form, I kept it without complaints and wore it for many years until my marriage ended. Also I hear that 3 stones can sit “too low” sometimes? Is yours set high or low? I can’t tell from the pics.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better than what my DH said when he saw my Berricle set: "Oh, I like that more than the old one you had", as in my actual wedding set! :x2

I have to say the Berricle 3 stone is pretty awesome. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results