carat
color
clarity

Did you regret changing your setting?

Did you regret changing your setting?

• Total voters

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I may buy this one bc its pretty close to my current proportions. Thoughts?

I have to say the Berricle 3 stone is pretty awesome. :love:

Oh oops sorry for the confusion. I actually got this set from Berricle.

Berricle 1ct vintage ring pic 1.jpg

It has a 1 ct equivalent center stone with these leafy/marquise details on the shank that I still absolutely love after all these years. I paired it with their 10-point eternity band. It's one of my favorite looks. Every so often I toss around the idea of resetting my current wedding set. But then I get sentimental and totally backpedal.

I may buy this one bc its pretty close to my current proportions. Thoughts?

That looks pretty good! If I did the math right, it has a 66% or 2:3:2 ratio, which is the ideal look that I like. I find that any bigger (like a 1:2:1 ratio), it starts to look more to me like a solitaire with some extra bling on the side as opposed to a 3-stone setting.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Also, I was out all day today for work and the stones were delivered. I was going to wait until Monday for Fed Ex to deliver again, but could not wait.
It’s dark out. Very dark as I live in the Northeast. In person these stones look great but tmrw in the daylight will be the real test. But so far they have a lot of fire. Remind me of my ACAs. Small yet mighty. But we shall see if they are THE ONES.
What do you think so far? Hard to tell, probably. Sorry for the not so great quality.

Reactions: K98

K98

Rough_Rock
LOL that’s funny! Is your replica still available on Etsy? I was going to check out Berricle too like @MamaBee suggested as well as Amazon. @tyty333 posted some nice replicas too. I’m one of those ppl that’s ok with stock settings too. My previous ER was custom and I was not happy with the outcome. I didn’t even reinvent the wheel with that setting but the basket was all wrong IMO. And true to form, I kept it without complaints and wore it for many years until my marriage ended. Also I hear that 3 stones can sit “too low” sometimes? Is yours set high or low? I can’t tell from the pics.

My replica just came in 8mm center/5mm sides, so it wouldn’t give you the same sense of what your ratio would look like, but it looks like you’ve already found a good contender downthread!

Mine is set pretty low, which is what I wanted—the cutlet of the center stone is about a mm higher than the bottom of the gallery (certainly this is specific to stone size, too). From finger to top of center stone is 6mm (my solitaire was 9mm height). But I don’t think I’ve heard the complaint that three stones generally sit “too” low—this was a lower one than some of the others they showed me. I do think maybe a more fitting criticism of three stones is that they’re generally set gallery style against the finger instead of mounted “up” on a band, and therefore pairing wedding bands with them is a real pain unless you’re someone who likes the gap look. If that’s important to you, I don’t doubt a jeweler can create a setting where a band could sit flush.

K98

Rough_Rock
Also, I was out all day today for work and the stones were delivered. I was going to wait until Monday for Fed Ex to deliver again, but could not wait.
It’s dark out. Very dark as I live in the Northeast. In person these stones look great but tmrw in the daylight will be the real test. But so far they have a lot of fire. Remind me of my ACAs. Small yet mighty. But we shall see if they are THE ONES.
What do you think so far? Hard to tell, probably. Sorry for the not so great quality.

Fire sounds good to me! When my side stones came in, the jeweler asked me to come look at them before they set them, and my main concern was that they didn’t look prettier than my center stone, lol! If they’d been too amazing, I might have sent them back for crappier ones! :)

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Fire sounds good to me! When my side stones came in, the jeweler asked me to come look at them before they set them, and my main concern was that they didn’t look prettier than my center stone, lol! If they’d been too amazing, I might have sent them back for crappier ones! :)

Funny you say that bc these little stones look great so far! They may outperform my center. My center would fall in line with a 60/60 stone so you see a lot of brightness which I do like and under the right lighting I do get tons of fire.

These little ones seem to be more balanced of brightness and fire.

I should have thought this thru more for inspection bc I have no tools to inspect loose stones. Oops. :lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I totally get that. I would have done the same thing.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
...vs this one, which is set with the prongs further apart and gives more separation/distinction. Also, being at a more similar height to one another helps them seem more distinct to me. EFA5F15B-B33C-4522-BDD0-2BDBD3C0C71A.jpeg

I find the view down the finger of the gallary is every bit as important as looking at the top of the hand, as that is what you will be looking at a lot of the time

i fiund this out the hard way so im always interested in this view on other people's rings

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I find the view down the finger of the gallary is every bit as important as looking at the top of the hand, as that is what you will be looking at a lot of the time

i fiund this out the hard way so im always interested in this view on other people's rings

Do you have examples so I can get a better idea of what you mean?

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Do you all think a 60/60 could be paired nicely with smaller more balanced stones that have equal brightness and fire to them?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have examples so I can get a better idea of what you mean?

Hang on ive got a ring handy ....
This is just my 'covid' ring i wear when i go out to to the shops to stop me touching my face/ rubbing nose, eyes etc
Its white saphire and peridot in silver so please excuse all her mall 'qualities'

16114403607831919548191.jpg
Top how you might admire your ring or show her off to others

Bottom pix doing things at a desk, or watching tv and things throughout your day

Attachments

• 1611440960817544143626.jpg
    1611440960817544143626.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hang on ive got a ring handy ....
This is just my 'covid' ring i wear when i go out to to the shops to stop me touching my face/ rubbing nose, eyes etc
Its white saphire and peridot in silver so please excuse all her mall 'qualities'

16114403607831919548191.jpg
Top how you might admire your ring or show her off to others

Bottom pix doing things at a desk, or watching tv and things throughout your day

@diamondsR4eVR
I had trouble getting my words to match the right photo but ive got it right now
Sorry the bottom pictute is sideways
I hope you get what i mean
This is aganist my breakfast plate

This is only on a $300 mall ring but i would really hate all this ugly metal with little design on a more exspensive one

Attachments

• 16114412139781451804937.jpg
    16114412139781451804937.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 15

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
@diamondsR4eVR
I had trouble getting my words to match the right photo but ive got it right now
Sorry the bottom pictute is sideways
I hope you get what i mean
This is aganist my breakfast plate

This is only on a $300 mall ring but i would really hate all this ugly metal with little design on a more exspensive one

You are so right! I am a visual person so this help me. I do look at my current ring from the side a lot too as well as down of that makes sense.

very pretty ring!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
This site is fantastic! I received my Berricle 3 stone ring today and I love it! I made sure the proportions were as close to my own stones as possible. It’s wall to wall bling just how I like

below are the pics of the 3 stone plus a little dainty ring I also picked up for fun!

Two questions:

1) how can I inspect loose stones without proper tools. I received the loose stones from IDJ and they look good but I’m scared to take them out of the box and lose one.

2) the side stones seem to be a nice balance of fire and brightness. Would you still pair with a 60/60 center stone.

337EBC8E-069D-464D-A5ED-6704C3952D54.jpeg

Attachments

• 004560EC-97DA-4582-8F64-37E4689DFA2A.jpeg
    004560EC-97DA-4582-8F64-37E4689DFA2A.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 47
  • AC7BE311-180C-4873-A854-70574F3F56FF.jpeg
    AC7BE311-180C-4873-A854-70574F3F56FF.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 16A7C455-D457-4FCC-8325-9892DB2E8FE8.jpeg
    16A7C455-D457-4FCC-8325-9892DB2E8FE8.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 52

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Late to the party as usual, but I'm working on a similar project as OP. For my 20th anniversary I got a 2.8 ct OEC in a solitaire type setting, which made me put aside my 1.8 ct solitaire.

I am now in the process of resetting the 1.8ct into a 3-stone. I already have a platinum 3-stone setting (travel ring I set with CZ's a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time ago) and now I'm ready to set real diamonds (mixed of mined and lab grown into the 3-stone setting.

Anyways, answer to your original question, I don't think I will regret resetting, because as of now I NEVER wear my 1.8 ct solitaire (7.8mm), I think I will wear it as an alternate e-ring or size it as a RHR.

In the pictures below, the solitaire stone is going into the 3-stone CZ setting (5mm, 8mm,5mm) below it. Still on the hunt for sidestones. I took a picture of the side to show how a 3-prong in sides can give the illusion of having a different shape sidestone.

Attachments

• BD18469E-9EE4-4791-BA47-83F90D0DE67E.jpeg
    BD18469E-9EE4-4791-BA47-83F90D0DE67E.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 8
  • A7971135-19FB-49DE-9345-76A1725B7837.jpeg
    A7971135-19FB-49DE-9345-76A1725B7837.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 8E70F04F-3F74-4A36-A674-E83ED16D81A9.jpeg
    8E70F04F-3F74-4A36-A674-E83ED16D81A9.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Late to the party as usual, but I'm working on a similar project as OP. For my 20th anniversary I got a 2.8 ct OEC in a solitaire type setting, which made me put aside my 1.8 ct solitaire.

I am now in the process of resetting the 1.8ct into a 3-stone. I already have a platinum 3-stone setting (travel ring I set with CZ's a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time ago) and now I'm ready to set real diamonds (mixed of mined and lab grown into the 3-stone setting.

Anyways, answer to your original question, I don't think I will regret resetting, because as of now I NEVER wear my 1.8 ct solitaire (7.8mm), I think I will wear it as an alternate e-ring or size it as a RHR.

In the pictures below, the solitaire stone is going into the 3-stone CZ setting (5mm, 8mm,5mm) below it. Still on the hunt for sidestones. I took a picture of the side to show how a 3-prong in sides can give the illusion of having a different shape sidestone.

Side note: This project will also allow me to use this 3-stone setting because I was not wearing the ring due to the crappy CZs in it!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Hey! Just wanted to show an example of a three stone mounting (my avatar)that is lower set and more of an 'antique' style. I love that it sits pretty low and has the slight tilt to the side stones.

itskcc

Rough_Rock
Fun project and so much to think about! I made the switch from solitaire to 3-stone about a year ago and am thrilled with the result. I know I made the right choice when I'm not constantly scrolling for ring ideas and wondering "what if?". That being said, it took me a looooong time to nail down all of the components: budget, side stones, size/quality of side stones, and all of the elements of the setting: overall height, height of center stone vs. sides, pitch/angle of side stones relative to center, prongs, and other details of the setting. I am a fanatic about the side view/profile of a setting and rejected probably hundreds of options because they looked pretty from the top view but from a side angle there was no detail, or the proportions were off to me. And I have a thing about prongs too and spent a lot of time working on that part. I tried on as many options as I could in person, ordered lots of CZ options just to play around with all of the elements and figure out what worked for me. The only mistake I felt I made was that I wished I had gone a little bit thinner on the bottom of the band. I like to stack rings and I wish I could taper the bottom of the shank a bit but other than that I'm so happy with my finished ring.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Fun project and so much to think about! I made the switch from solitaire to 3-stone about a year ago and am thrilled with the result. I know I made the right choice when I'm not constantly scrolling for ring ideas and wondering "what if?". That being said, it took me a looooong time to nail down all of the components: budget, side stones, size/quality of side stones, and all of the elements of the setting: overall height, height of center stone vs. sides, pitch/angle of side stones relative to center, prongs, and other details of the setting. I am a fanatic about the side view/profile of a setting and rejected probably hundreds of options because they looked pretty from the top view but from a side angle there was no detail, or the proportions were off to me. And I have a thing about prongs too and spent a lot of time working on that part. I tried on as many options as I could in person, ordered lots of CZ options just to play around with all of the elements and figure out what worked for me. The only mistake I felt I made was that I wished I had gone a little bit thinner on the bottom of the band. I like to stack rings and I wish I could taper the bottom of the shank a bit but other than that I'm so happy with my finished ring.

Great post I like stacking too! I like the 3 stone CZ I just purchased but the height of it seems high but I know I don’t want a flat ring if that makes sense. Aw man you are speaking my language with height, prong details, profiles and pitch/angles. Can you elaborate more on that and share your ring please? I have all the stones now but want to save more money and do it right the first time. Plus, do I want an enhancer ring or a traditional 3 stone. I have no idea and I’m confused.

itskcc

Rough_Rock
Great post I like stacking too! I like the 3 stone CZ I just purchased but the height of it seems high but I know I don’t want a flat ring if that makes sense. Aw man you are speaking my language with height, prong details, profiles and pitch/angles. Can you elaborate more on that and share your ring please? I have all the stones now but want to save more money and do it right the first time. Plus, do I want an enhancer ring or a traditional 3 stone. I have no idea and I’m confused.

Here's a link to the thread I wrote when my ring was finished that has some pics. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/solitaire-to-party-of-three.256491

My best advice is not to rush it. I found that I made decisions in a linear way. First figuring out that the 3-stone was the way to go, next was the size of the side stones. Tiffany's ratio is that the carat weight of the side stones equal the weight of the center but I felt that was too big on my finger and looked a little clunky. For me, it also made the center stone not pop the way I wanted but it took me a lot of try-on sessions and playing around to settle on that. Once I nailed down the size, I searched for the stones while building idea boards for the setting. I had definite issues with prongs - Tiffany prongs are too knobby for me and I don't love 6 prongs on a round stone either. I wanted pointy claws and ended up with double claws in the center. I tried to find photos of how I wanted them spaced as well. I sound like a psycho but it's the first place my eye goes when I look at a ring! I used the Tiffany setting as my baseline for figuring out what I wanted to do with height of the stones and the pitch and angle of the sides. I needed one visual to work from which helped me develop my plans.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

good repurposing! I bet you'll get a lot more use out of it now.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a link to the thread I wrote when my ring was finished that has some pics. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/solitaire-to-party-of-three.256491

My best advice is not to rush it. I found that I made decisions in a linear way. First figuring out that the 3-stone was the way to go, next was the size of the side stones. Tiffany's ratio is that the carat weight of the side stones equal the weight of the center but I felt that was too big on my finger and looked a little clunky. For me, it also made the center stone not pop the way I wanted but it took me a lot of try-on sessions and playing around to settle on that. Once I nailed down the size, I searched for the stones while building idea boards for the setting. I had definite issues with prongs - Tiffany prongs are too knobby for me and I don't love 6 prongs on a round stone either. I wanted pointy claws and ended up with double claws in the center. I tried to find photos of how I wanted them spaced as well. I sound like a psycho but it's the first place my eye goes when I look at a ring! I used the Tiffany setting as my baseline for figuring out what I wanted to do with height of the stones and the pitch and angle of the sides. I needed one visual to work from which helped me develop my plans.

I love this version of a three stone. The french sides are such a nice accent, and the tilt is perfect for the size of the side stones and the size of the ring. Three stones are so hard to figure out because everyone has a different opinion about how much of an angle they want the sides stones, and how high they are set, and all must be in relation to the size of the ring itself, as well as the size of the center stone. So many variables. good luck @Dmndsr4evr11. It's a fun and daunting project, but you'll get there.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I love this version of a three stone. The french sides are such a nice accent, and the tilt is perfect for the size of the side stones and the size of the ring. Three stones are so hard to figure out because everyone has a different opinion about how much of an angle they want the sides stones, and how high they are set, and all must be in relation to the size of the ring itself, as well as the size of the center stone. So many variables. good luck @Dmndsr4evr11. It's a fun and daunting project, but you'll get there.

@LLJsmom, I think you meant to send this response to @diamondsR4eVR :). But thanks for the the special mention ;-). I hope to see your completed ring from WF soon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results