shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you have any side effects from the COVID vaccine?

Did you have any side effects from the COVID vaccine?

• No side effects!

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Just a sore arm

Votes: 50 22.6%
  • Minor side effects (no fever)

Votes: 65 29.4%
  • Fever

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • Major side effects (including fever)

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • Still waiting my turn to get the vaccine

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • I don't plan on getting the vaccine

Votes: 19 8.6%

• Total voters

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH got second Moderna shot yesterday around 11 am. Sore arm, achy, tired and loss of apetite today. Starting to feel better this evening.

I got my 2nd dose of moderna yesterday afternoon. Feeling pretty awful today. Aching everywhere, nausea, weird temp fluctuations. But fingers crossed I'll feel fine tomorrow.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 85 year old mother has had both Moderna shots. Dose 1: She only had a sore arm. Dose 2: Extreme fatigue the day after. I'm so relieved as she lives alone.

My husband and I both received the first dose of Moderna yesterday. We both only had sore arms.

I was worried because I can't afford to be out from work due to a reorg. I booked my 1st appt assuming there were no real side effects after the 1st dose...and then began hearing stories about a few folks I know having a bad day after the 1st shot. So I am relieved. (My 2nd dose is April 1st so I will have a long weekend to recover from any side effects)

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I got my 2nd dose of moderna yesterday afternoon. Feeling pretty awful today. Aching everywhere, nausea, weird temp fluctuations. But fingers crossed I'll feel fine tomorrow.

Hope you feel better soon. DH feeling much better today. Seems to be more common with Moderna. Have several people I know who had Moderna with 24-36 hours of symptoms. Most of them symptomatic after the second dose. Take care.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you feel better soon. DH feeling much better today. Seems to be more common with Moderna. Have several people I know who had Moderna with 24-36 hours of symptoms. Most of them symptomatic after the second dose. Take care.

I wonder (just surmising here) if the more common reaction with Moderna is because of the extra material in the Moderna dose. Pfizer has 30 μg/dose vs the 100 μg/dose Moderna contains.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder (just surmising here) if the more common reaction with Moderna is because of the extra material in the Moderna dose. Pfizer has 30 μg/dose vs the 100 μg/dose Moderna contains.

That is a good point.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been more than 24h since I had my first dose of AZ, apart from the sore arm, all is good.

DK :))

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had my first shot yesterday. I was exhausted last night, fell asleep early and got nearly 10 hours, getting up just once. That's important, only because I usually get up a couple times in a shorter period of time.

Was that just because it was Friday? I don't know.

Today, my arm is barely sore, thankful for that.

ksage92

Rough_Rock
Wish I could get one...Florida is a hot mess. First I needed a drs note and now they want a form? Just moved and can't get an appointment for months.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Update - body aches, headache, slight sore arm and fatigue in middle of night and this morning (I always have fatigue so I’m not sure that’s any different.). Now feeling better.

Both my daughter and I thought the J& J vaccine hurt a bit. Not horrible.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wish I could get one...Florida is a hot mess. First I needed a drs note and now they want a form? Just moved and can't get an appointment for months.

I think the form is something everyone needs to fill out. But sorry Florida is such a mess.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Phoenix so glad that your dad is on the mend!

I am not yet eligible for the vaccine but my 75+ parents got their second Pfizer shot on Wednesday. I was super worried that they would have an adverse reaction but they got lucky. The only side effect-sore and achy arms.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix so glad that your dad is on the mend!

I am not yet eligible for the vaccine but my 75+ parents got their second Pfizer shot on Wednesday. I was super worried that they would have an adverse reaction but they got lucky. The only side effect-sore and achy arms.

Thank you, Lulu.

So happy for your parents. My dad is quite a bit older (90+) and has several existing health conditions. So he should never have got the shot in the first place, imo. He should, in fact, have never done anything that would put him in the hospital. I actually told him and my siblings this but I got out-voted. As it turned out, one of the other patients in his ward tested positive for Covid. So now my dad is in quarantine! :cry2:

What I don't understand is why they didn't test the patients as they came into the hospital!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Lulu.

So happy for your parents. My dad is quite a bit older (90+) and has several existing health conditions. So he should never have got the shot in the first place, imo. He should, in fact, have never done anything that would put him in the hospital. I actually told him and my siblings this but I got out-voted. As it turned out, one of the other patients in his ward tested positive for Covid. So now my dad is in quarantine! :cry2:

What I don't understand is why they didn't test the patients as they came into the hospital!

ugh @Phoenix I'm so sorry to hear that! My dad was hospitalized in January and had to quarantine when he got out too! It's so scary for loved ones to be hospitalized right now. I hope that it's smooth sailing for your dad from now on:pray:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got my first dose of Moderna on February 11 at noon.. I just got a sore arm at night just before bed. I noticed it when I was turning over in my sleep. It was pretty sore. I get my second dose on Thursday..hopefully!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Phoenix I’m so sorry about your poor dad! I hope he feels better soon..

ksage92

Rough_Rock
I think the form is something everyone needs to fill out. But sorry Florida is such a mess.

Florida has a new physicians signature form for high risk under 65 to receive fax. Gov DeSantis changed his mind again last week .

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the first dose of Pfizer today. Arms a little sore. I can't tell if it's from the shot or carrying 50lbs+ of groceries up and down the subway (had to do grocery after my shot). I'm still worried I'll have a reaction. Oooof.
I went to Memorial Sloan. It was very neat and orderly, they used the infusion cubicles for each person. The nurses spent 15 minutes going over procedures and concerns and afterwards I spent 15 minutes in observation. I also got information to register with the cdc to submit my symptoms (just a code you scan with your phone, so pretty neat).

@Phoenix omg I'm so sorry about your father. Sending many wishes for a quick and full recovery.

Thank you. x

I hope you'll be fine. 50lbs+ of groceries will do that to you! lol

voce

Ideal_Rock
@MRBXXXFVVS1 I would really strongly advise you and your husband to get the mRNA two dose vaccines, not an adenovirus based one. I was doing a little digging for my own curiosity and am alarmed by what had turned up...

The Johnson and Johnson vaccine, according to the information off of JAMA, uses a form of adenovirus 26, which is in itself incapable of reproducing but injects DNA for the spike protein into human cells' nuclear DNA. These adenoviruses work via the CD46 protein receptor the same way as a whole lot of other natural viruses, except I don't know that those natural viruses contain DNA that's supposed to enter the cell's nucleus.

According to Wikipedia, the CD46 protein has some role in the process of fertilization, and therefore I would logically infer that there are CD46 receptors on the sperm and egg cells, or on developing embryos. Depending on the dose and how the vaccine is administered, any adenovirus 26 that makes it to sperm or egg cells to change the DNA, would be statistically small but not zero. After the cell's DNA is changed, the cell itself makes spike proteins and invites attack by the immune system. Therefore, maybe this might reduce the absolute number of eggs available, or might cause the mother's immune system to attack the embryo? Depending on when the cellular spike protein is expressed, there could be an indefinite period between when you get pregnant and when the spike protein is expressed. I'm not sure the extent of the effect of the second dose of mRNA vaccine, but since the spike proteins are made more immediately, without having to wait for transcription to occur naturally, once you are vaccinated, then it's safe to try to get pregnant.

Sorry if this is rambling. I invite anyone with better biology/medical knowledge to comment and correct me if I said anything wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210309-043653.png
    Screenshot_20210309-043653.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210309-044015.png
    Screenshot_20210309-044015.png
    337.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20210309-044124.png
    Screenshot_20210309-044124.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 9

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
@voce Thank you so much for the detailed write-up and information. This is very helpful!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce Thank you so much for the detailed write-up and information. This is very helpful!

Hi, I wish to follow up because I did a little more digging. I want to share what I found.

First, I want to say that there doesn't seem to exist any satisfactory, comprehensive study of the effect of adenoviruses or adenovirus vectors on eggs that can be found through Google.

1615322188983.png

Conclusion A: we needn't fear widespread integration of viral DNA integration into the human genome, as they have been found to integrate at a very low frequency of 1000 to 100000 per cell (which I interpret as 500 to 50000 cell divisions before even 1 instance of viral DNA material is recombined during mitosis) . Admittedly, this was using the serotype 5 adenovirus, while the serotype 26 that's being used for the J&J vaccine wasn't tested, but there's no reason to think the aspect of integration into human DNA would be different between the two serotypes of adenovirus.

Conclusion B, not made by me, but from another study on human reproduction from back in 2002: adenoviruses are not likely to insert foreign genetic material into the germ line, but they can prove toxic to embryos in development.

1615322950265.png

A lot of this was done for my own peace of mind, should my fiancé living in a different country at the moment happen to get an adenovirus-based vaccine.

I would still advise the mothers-to-be to get the mRNA vaccine based on what I know and understand, but I guess we don't have to worry about adenovirus vaccines affecting testicular tissue and changing the DNA of sperm long term. My remaining concern is I don't know how long the latent period would be between when the DNA for the spike protein gets into the host cell's nucleus and when it gets translated to the protein and becomes expressed on the outer membrane of a cell. At least with the mRNA vaccines I have good confidence that the proteins are made immediately and by the time you stop feeling symptoms after the second dose, your own body is no longer making spike proteins that could affect reproduction.

I hope what I'm saying is making sense. What I have concluded for myself is that after I no longer feel symptoms after the second dose of an mRNA vaccine, I'm safe to start making babies, but if my male partner gets the one-dose adenovirus-based vaccines, I don't know when it will be safe for him to start with making babies.

MsCocoChanel

Rough_Rock
I received my second dose of Moderna in mid-February and had very few side effects. Sore arm accompanied low grade fever on the first night and fatigue for several days. As a healthcare professional, I definitely felt the benefits outweighed potential risks given patient exposures and seeing several healthy, young colleagues (< 40 years old, no pre-existing conditions) become critically ill secondary to COVID. There is little data to support infertility claims - based on the mechanism and delivery vector for Moderna and Pfizer I would not anticipate this as an adverse effect. It’s interesting as mumps orchitis was a common cause of infertility until the MMR vaccination was available. If men are concerned they can always sperm bank before vaccination. All my coworkers at NIH and former colleagues at FDA have felt comfortable getting vaccinated and are anxious for other family members to receive their doses.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My twin sister got our Johnson and Johnson vaccines this past Friday. She felt fine and for the most part, so did I. The only thing I thought was weird was that Saturday night I simply could not keep my eyes open from about 7:30 on. My husband drives a truck and usually calls between 8:30 and 9:00 PM when he gets stopped. He called and I could barely wake myself up enough to talk to him. Sunday, I was fine. The shot injection site on my arm was pretty sore up until yesterday. Today, I feel better. My twin only had the sore arm. That was it. My husband had his 1st shot of Moderna Friday and had a pretty severe headache all day Saturday and Sunday. After that, he was ok. So for the most part I'd say the side effects were mild. I wonder how he'll do with his 2nd dose of Moderna. We shall see.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
My twin sister got our Johnson and Johnson vaccines this past Friday. She felt fine and for the most part, so did I. The only thing I thought was weird was that Saturday night I simply could not keep my eyes open from about 7:30 on. My husband drives a truck and usually calls between 8:30 and 9:00 PM when he gets stopped. He called and I could barely wake myself up enough to talk to him. Sunday, I was fine. The shot injection site on my arm was pretty sore up until yesterday. Today, I feel better. My twin only had the sore arm. That was it. My husband had his 1st shot of Moderna Friday and had a pretty severe headache all day Saturday and Sunday. After that, he was ok. So for the most part I'd say the side effects were mild. I wonder how he'll do with his 2nd dose of Moderna. We shall see.

Is your twin identical or fraternal? Just curious how the vaccine side effects vary based on genetics or chance!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is your twin identical or fraternal? Just curious how the vaccine side effects vary based on genetics or chance!

We are fraternal, 57 years old, and I thought it was definitely interesting to see how she and I would react individually but all in all, it wasn't very different. Neither of us ran fever. The shots were given to us at the exact same time. The lady I work for got her J&J shot the same day we did. She felt terrible...chills, fever, and aches. She said if the had to get another shot she didn't think she could do it. Her husband got his at the same time....he did great. I did read a New York Times article that said studies show that men may have less side effects than women.

DanerBananer

Rough_Rock
I'd say my 2nd Moderna shot was severe side effects for about 8-10 hours. I'd do it again, but jeez I was not prepared! There is no chance I'd put my children through it if it was an option. They're no where close to being old enough though.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd say my 2nd Moderna shot was severe side effects for about 8-10 hours. I'd do it again, but jeez I was not prepared! There is no chance I'd put my children through it if it was an option. They're no where close to being old enough though.

Did you take anything before to alleviate some of the side effects? This is what my sister sent me from a friend of hers because my husband will be taking the second Moderna shot. A81B9396-46A8-4FC2-9EEC-90626162FE52.jpeg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you take anything before to alleviate some of the side effects? This is what my sister sent me from a friend of hers because my husband will be taking the second Moderna shot. A81B9396-46A8-4FC2-9EEC-90626162FE52.jpeg

Not sure if the guidance has changed as a pharmacist I know (who works at a major hospital) suggested taking Tylenol (but not ibuprofen) before the vaccine. But everything I've read said the CDC says NOT to take Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc because it can dampen the immune system...but it's okay to take after if you start having symptoms. If anyone has an update or more information, I'd love to know before going for my second dose.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure if the guidance has changed as a pharmacist I know (who works at a major hospital) suggested taking Tylenol (but not ibuprofen) before the vaccine. But everything I've read said the CDC says NOT to take Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc because it can dampen the immune system...but it's okay to take after if you start having symptoms. If anyone has an update or more information, I'd love to know before going for my second dose.

My son and his fiance were told to not take Tylenol or Ibuprofen before the vaccine to let the immune system do its work. My son had a rough day after but his fiance was ok. Amazing how differently it affects different people.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results