shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I get a deal or a fake-EBay purchase of Tiffany ring

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
I just won a Tiffany shared setting half eternity wedding band (platinum, .27 tcw) on EBay for $1500. The MSRP is $3900. This is the link to the description on the Tiffany site: http://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/rings/shared-setting-band-ring-GRP00005

The seller has 100% positive reviews and appears to have been a seller of very high end jewelry and watches for at least 2 years. He does not have a glut of inventory and appears to sell a few high end pieces every few months. The auction photographs of the ring looked ok to me. The Tiffany & Co. and PT 950 stamps appear to be in the right places, though the Tiffany & Co. stamp is partially obscured by a sizing bead. I know this would bother some people, but it doesn't bother me so long as the piece is authentic. He guarantees authenticity, so I can return the item if it turns out the ring is fake.

I paid on Friday and expect to get the ring sometime next week. I intend to take the ring to Tiffanys to remove the beads and get sized (1/2 size) and for a retail price update for insurance purposes. I assume that if the ring is fake, Tiffanys will let me know before sizing and will not give me a retail price update.

In the meantime, I am reaching out here to quell my paranoia. I would really be so grateful if I could get some of your thoughts on the photos (below) and your experience with taking pieces purchased from the secondary market to Tiffanys. Also, if anyone owns this ring, can you please post photographs of the stamps so I can compare them?

Thanks so much,

BB.

top.png
side.png
tiffany___co.png
pt950_close.png

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
You were smart to check out the seller's history. Unfortunatly, I cant help you determine if it is authentic. The good news is you'll get your money back 100% if it is fake. EBay will protect you.

I have purchased some great deals on authentic preowned Tiffany jewelry on Ebay.

GL!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know about Tiffany. But with hand bags, you can take it to a boutique store and ask for it SPAed or repaired. They only accept authentic items. Or take it to a consigment shop. Maybe take the stone to Tiffany boutique and ask for free cleaning?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flyingpig|1457299026|4000674 said:
I dont know about Tiffany. But with hand bags, you can take it to a boutique store and ask for it SPAed or repaired. They only accept authentic items. Or take it to a consigment shop. Maybe take the stone to Tiffany boutique and ask for free cleaning?

Many boutiques - Tiffany, Cartier included - will happily clean any piece you ask for without charge. Free servicing doesn't in any way imply authenticity :(sad

These houses will only do work you pay for on authentic pieces, however, so having a thorough polishing or resizing is - for most people - a stand-in for proof. They will also issue valuations for insurance, which will explicitly claim authenticity, but these are pricey - often far pricier than basic servicing!

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I am no expert but it looks good to me. I have seen some 18k yg eternities (I've been looking for a channel set band) where someone have placed a piece of metal with a really bad hallmark.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Tiffany offer of 'free' sizing and repairs is not transferable beyond the original purchaser and I'll be a little surprised if they agree to do what you want, even if you agree to pay them. Let us know how it plays out. I've even heard of difficulties for people who have received their things as gifts or through inheritance. They are specifically hostile to purchases on the secondary market (like ebay). They are more cooperative if you've got the original paperwork and even more so if you've got the same surname as the original purchaser. Refusal is not evidence of a fake item by the way. It's just the way Tiff's does things. That said, it shouldn't be particularly hard to find someone who can do the job if they decline.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks real to me. Their settings are pretty distinctive. That is a lovely band. They don't do updated valuations anymore for second hand buyers. If you want to insure it, you'll just need to go to another jeweler who does appraisals. They can just look up the current cost of the ring to determine value.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input.

My intention was to tell Tiffany that I had inherited the ring, but I was not aware that they might refuse to size the ring. I was also unaware that they no longer issued retail updates for second hand purchases.

The ring shipped today so I will post pictures of it when it arrives for further inspection and I will keep everyone updated!

Thanks again for your help!

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post an update. I do not have the ring yet, but it is on track to arrive tomorrow.

Last night, I went to Tiffany to inspect the shared setting ring in person. To my very untrained eye, the photographs of the ring I posted from the auction appear to match the main hallmarks inside the ring, so that made me feel more confident.

I have an appointment with an appraiser recommended by many PSers on Friday, who I hope will confirm the specs and confirm that the piece is authentic.

I also spoke to Tiffany directly and was told that they *WILL* repair/size Tiffany jewelry, even if it was purchased second hand and lacks paper. Assuming the appraisal confirms the specs, I will walk the ring to Tiffany right after to begin the resizing process.

*Edit* The repair/resizing is not free. However, I was quoted what I think is a very reasonable price for resizing platinum and for removing the sizing beads.

I forgot to ask whether Tiffany would issue a retail update on second hand jewelry. I don't think I will need it since I am having it appraised, but I will ask if I go on Friday so PS can know.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice! I hope I am not disappointed when the ring comes tomorrow!

BB

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried on the exact ring at T&C and ultimately had a dupe made for $900. Here are the pics I took though, in case they help

real ring on the right, my ring on the left
sidebyside_0.jpg

close.jpg

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
HappyNewLife|1457477763|4001782 said:
I tried on the exact ring at T&C and ultimately had a dupe made for $900. Here are the pics I took though, in case they help

real ring on the right, my ring on the left
sidebyside_0.jpg

close.jpg

Happy, your set is gorgeous! Your jeweler did a fabulous job. Thank you for posting these pictures. They will come in handy when I see the ring tonight (delivery today).

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Okay everyone, I got the ring tonight. I'm certain it's authentic and hope I am not disappointed when I get it appraised on Friday.

I've taken some pictures of it and I would love to know what you all think.

p1030141__1_.jpg p1030140__1_.jpg p1030137__1_.jpg p1030142__1_.jpg p1030143__1_.jpg p1030144__1_.jpg

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous! The hallmarks look good to me. I bought T&Co shared prong ring on ebay too. I had the paperwork, though. Tiffany charged for the current retail value report for my insurance company. The were nice enough to give me a new black box and little blue box & ribbon. You should ask for a box when you get your's sized. It will be all shiny and new when you get it back. Congrats!

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
hearts-arrows_girl|1457579438|4002361 said:
It's gorgeous! The hallmarks look good to me. I bought T&Co shared prong ring on ebay too. I had the paperwork, though. Tiffany charged for the current retail value report for my insurance company. The were nice enough to give me a new black box and little blue box & ribbon. You should ask for a box when you get your's sized. It will be all shiny and new when you get it back. Congrats!

Thank you H&A! I will find out tomorrow whether Tiffany will issue a retail valuation report for me. I actually do not need to get the ring sized after all, but do need to get the beads removed as they are extremely uncomfortable. I wonder if Tiffany will restamp the hallmark after removing the beads.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you take the beads out, you might have to have it resized. I have a ring where I had them take the beads "down" (but not off) which made it more comfortable, still kept it from spinning, and wasn't as loose as it woulda been had they removed them.

bste06

Rough_Rock
Thank you H&A! I will find out tomorrow whether Tiffany will issue a retail valuation report for me. I actually do not need to get the ring sized after all, but do need to get the beads removed as they are extremely uncomfortable. I wonder if Tiffany will restamp the hallmark after removing the beads.

Hi there - I stumbled across your post as I am in the same scenario as you were. I purchased a second-hand Tiffany ring that had sizing beads, which when removed left the hallmark damaged. Were you able to get your ring re-stamped by Tiffany? Thanks!

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Hi there - I stumbled across your post as I am in the same scenario as you were. I purchased a second-hand Tiffany ring that had sizing beads, which when removed left the hallmark damaged. Were you able to get your ring re-stamped by Tiffany? Thanks!

Tiffany restamped my ring, but I also had the sizing beads taken out by them so they saw the original hallmark before they had to restamp. I'm not sure what they will do if the hallmark is already damaged/difficult to see. Definitely worth a call though before going!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results