shape
carat
color
clarity

Knot si2

phanct

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I keep reading about how one should avoid knots at all costs, but just how likely is a knot going to become a cavity? Has that actually ever happened to any PS'er? I'm asking because I keep going back to an F si2 diamond from a highly recommended and trusted local jeweler (one that's been reviewed on PS multiple times before) and the owner assured me that the knot is not going to be a problem. He said that I could cover it with a prong if I'm that worried about it. It's a 2.23 carat round diamond, F color, less than $20k, and throws off incredible fire in outdoor lighting. I can't find another big diamond that's also F color that is priced better, so that's why I'm asking if knots are really that risky.

Thank you in advance

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I asked a similar question regarding the knot in my VVS2 and got varying answers and opinions. Seems as though some won't ever recommend or touch a stone with a knot and others base their decision on clarity grade, location and size of knot, etc. I also specifically inquired about the knot with my appraiser and my local jeweler and they both told me not to be concerned with it. GL!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be far less worried about a knot (or any inclusion) in a VVS stone than a knot (or other inclusions) in an SI2 stone.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, so I keep reading about how one should avoid knots at all costs, but just how likely is a knot going to become a cavity? Has that actually ever happened to any PS'er? I'm asking because I keep going back to an F si2 diamond from a highly recommended and trusted local jeweler (one that's been reviewed on PS multiple times before) and the owner assured me that the knot is not going to be a problem. He said that I could cover it with a prong if I'm that worried about it. It's a 2.23 carat round diamond, F color, less than $20k, and throws off incredible fire in outdoor lighting. I can't find another big diamond that's also F color that is priced better, so that's why I'm asking if knots are really that risky.

Thank you in advance

Knots can be a big problem. Knots can be a big mind clean problem. Knots can be inconsequential. It depends on the knot.

You are dealing with a local jeweler who you say is highly recommended and trusted. He tells you that it is not a problem. We cannot see the diamond or even its diamond grading report. We can not give you good advice without seeing it.

Wink

Last edited:

phanct

Rough_Rock
Knots can be a big problem. Knots can be a big mind clean problem. Knots can be inconsequential. It depends on the knot.

You are dealing with a local jeweler who you say is highly recommended and trusted. He tells you that it is not a problem. We cannot see the diamond or even its diamond grading report. We can not give you good advice without seeing it.

Wink

20190325_153358.jpg 20190325_183955.jpg Screenshot_20190325-153147_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hi wink! I'm attaching the GIA photos

phanct

Rough_Rock
I asked a similar question regarding the knot in my VVS2 and got varying answers and opinions. Seems as though some won't ever recommend or touch a stone with a knot and others base their decision on clarity grade, location and size of knot, etc. I also specifically inquired about the knot with my appraiser and my local jeweler and they both told me not to be concerned with it. GL!

I saw that you purchased your diamond about 1 year ago. Any issues with the knot so far?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely no issues. I actually just had it cleaned and inspected by my local jeweler on Saturday and it is perfectly fine.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Could be ok as the knot is the 5th inclusion listed. I'd still get it independently appraised in the refund period. It's a good price for sure on that looks like an otherwise beautiful diamond, especially as you've seen it in person.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, I have seen the damage that a knot getting knocked out leaves behind and it can be much larger than the knot.
There are just to many diamonds out there to take a chance on a diamond with a knot on the crown unless its a super special one of a kind stone and the knot has a lot of covering material with just a small percentage showing.
I used to be in the it depends camp but have become more cautious after seeing an example of the damage in person.

phanct

Rough_Rock
Yes, I have seen the damage that a knot getting knocked out leaves behind and it can be much larger than the knot.
There are just to many diamonds out there to take a chance on a diamond with a knot on the crown unless its a super special one of a kind stone and the knot has a lot of covering material with just a small percentage showing.
I used to be in the it depends camp but have become more cautious after seeing an example of the damage in person.

Thank you. I just needed to know that it's actually happened to someone. I'll pass on this diamond and continue the search for my unicorn stone !

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Between @Wink, @gm89uk and @Karl_K I think you got some really solid advice.

Really, at the end of the day it's all about risk and your aversion to risk. Having a knot in an SI2 is more risky than a knot in a VVS2. However, having a knot as a grade setting inclusion on an SI2 is worse than being the 5th (and last) inclusion on the clarity plot of an SI2 stone.

I might even add I believe size of the stone and actual size of the inclusion (knot) come into play.

The real kicker is what kind of compensation are you being offered for the risk you are taking? And is that enough compensation to make the risk worthwhile? As you can imagine, the answer to those questions will vary widely from person to person. However, generally speaking, the more risk you take the more you should be compensated.

If you can find a level of risk you are comfortable taking that others find uncomfortable, then a unique opportunity called "leverage" arises. In those cases, the seller likely knows they will have difficulty selling their risky product so when a buyer comes along that is willing to take the risk then the buyer has a more effective position to negotiate a better deal for themselves. Other things like time on the market will increase your leverage position as well.

Having bought & sold several houses & cars, I prefer ones that have some imperfections as it allows me an opportunity to negotiate a more financially favorable outcome for myself. That said, I can do quite a bit of work on both and also know people that can help with projects that will likely scare others. So to me, some of those risks are less concerning than an average buyer.

But if I'm taking a 25% risk and only getting a 10% discount, it makes no sense for me to take the risk. On the flip side, if I'm taking a 25% risk but getting a 40% discount then I am intrigued.

A few years back I bought a Jeep Wrangler. At the time I preferred to find a good used Jeep but I quickly learned they hold their values very well. At the time, I could either buy a brand new Jeep for about $24k, or buy a 1-2 year old Jeep for $20-21k. All vehicles were in great shape, but the discount for slightly used wasn't substantial enough so I paid more and bought new. I also had the peace of mind of knowing the vehicles entire history, which is a big deal with those vehicles as many people (myself included) take them in mud pits, creeks, over rocks, etc.

I took the very long way to say that I would probably side with Karl on this. Why spend $20k on something you aren't 100% sure about? I'd rather spend a little more and have the warm fuzzies. Plus taking risk on a stone (that I don't wear, as I'm a guy) is not something I want to deal with if there ever was a problem. My girl would feel she got something subpar. I'd have to replace, etc. Just not worth the headache to me to be honest. Now if I could get a $40k diamond for $20k, maybe I'd feel different. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results