shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond with crown angle of 36 - is this ok?

Michelle CHen

Rough_Rock
This is my first time posting so I'm not too sure if this is the right place - I've tried to look up as much information as I could but I feel like the more I look the more lost I am.
The diamond proportions of the one I'm looking at are:

Depth62.5%
Table57%
Crown Angle36.0°
Crown Height15.5%
Pavilion Angle40.6°
Pavilion Depth43.0%
Star Length50%
Lower Half80%
GirdleSlightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
CuletNone

1603263099170.png

My concern is whether the crown angle of 36 will cause light leakages? Do the arrows not being black in the image mean anything? The HCA score is 1.6 however, and the shop lady has told me this is an Ideal cut. I was not provided an ASET image and I'm hoping any experts out there will be able to help me out / give me more information.

Thank you heaps!

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi @Michelle CHen and welcome. I'm pretty new too so I'd leave the advice to the experts. But just so you know I've had the same experience. Sales people are showing me diamond certs saying they are H&A diamonds with premium prices. But after getting expert advice here, I found out that they are no where near the measurements needed to be considered super ideal, or even ideal.

By the way, what's the carat weight of the diamond you are looking at?

Last edited:

Sparkly_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
This is my first time posting so I'm not too sure if this is the right place - I've tried to look up as much information as I could but I feel like the more I look the more lost I am.
The diamond proportions of the one I'm looking at are:

Depth62.5%
Table57%
Crown Angle36.0°
Crown Height15.5%
Pavilion Angle40.6°
Pavilion Depth43.0%
Star Length50%
Lower Half80%
GirdleSlightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
CuletNone

1603263099170.png

My concern is whether the crown angle of 36 will cause light leakages? Do the arrows not being black in the image mean anything? The HCA score is 1.6 however, and the shop lady has told me this is an Ideal cut. I was not provided an ASET image and I'm hoping any experts out there will be able to help me out / give me more information.

Thank you heaps!

Hi, I too am relatively new to this board but have learned enough from everyone here to know that this is not an ideal cut stone. And definitely not H&A! As you suspected the CA is too steep, to pair with a 40.6 PA it should be 34.5-35. Also the stone is too deep - for an ideal cut the depth should be no more than 62 max. I do not believe that the arrows not being black means anything but I’ll let others chime in re that. The people here will guide you in the right direction and help you identify better stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ladies above are correct that this stone isn't within the usual parameters we'd consider superideal cut. I think this diamond might work better if it had a crown angle up to 35.5. I have seen a lot of diamonds with a 36 crown angle with 40.6 pavilion angles, and all the ones that had idealscope or ASET images did have a ring of leakage. I also do not look at stones deeper than 62.3 and prefer 62 or less. The deeper the stone, the more you lose in diameter (but 62.5 isn't horrible). The arrows are not an issue in this stone. The black circle near the center is more of a concern to me.

That said, this stone is likely far better than most. But I wouldn't buy it, personally. However, if I could see it in person or see an ASET image, I might consider it if it was at an excellent price. Buying retail from a jewelry store is rarely going to result in great pricing, though.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As above, 36 crown with 40.6 pavilion still 'works' in terms of light return, in the angles are complementary. The HCA score of under 2 illustrates this.

There may be some potential leakage when looking at the stone with only one eye, but Serg's comments on here (and his discussions with Garry H) have included comment on how binocular vision means each eye sees different things, so slight leakage visible with one eye will not be visible with the other, therefore some level of leakage at certain angles is acceptable.

Depth of 62 is not a hard cut-off - the generally-recommended proportions I've seen on here go up to mid-62s.

(IIRC)

Have a read of this thread :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
80% lgf == likely no leakage in this combo.
The picture is awefully taken and useless.
Gia gross rounding of the numbers means in reality this one can go either way and needs IS/ASET images to help you.

Michelle CHen

Rough_Rock
As above, 36 crown with 40.6 pavilion still 'works' in terms of light return, in the angles are complementary. The HCA score of under 2 illustrates this.

There may be some potential leakage when looking at the stone with only one eye, but Serg's comments on here (and his discussions with Garry H) have included comment on how binocular vision means each eye sees different things, so slight leakage visible with one eye will not be visible with the other, therefore some level of leakage at certain angles is acceptable.

Depth of 62 is not a hard cut-off - the generally-recommended proportions I've seen on here go up to mid-62s.

(IIRC)

Have a read of this thread :)

Wow this thread is very informative! Thank you

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results