shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond vs. Sapphire 7mm+ Round

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Wanaka I love your beautiful sapphire! It has a gorgeous color with maybe just a tiny hint of teal. The Montana sapphires have a wonderful moodiness, and they do tend to be found in smaller stone rough. I can see why yours captivated you! It changes so much, and all the colors are pretty! Enjoy!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! It’s great to see the video. My eyes were immediately drawn to yours. The smaller stone of the two. It has such presence and character. If it were for me I would not have had any doubts in choosing THE one.

The other blue is also really nice, but personally I hugely prefer yours. Great choice!

Curious to see your other projects progressing

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some more setting inspiration pics. All settings by Alistair Kelsey.
A bezel:
2F642074-A633-49DF-B7C0-EA04415E5315.jpeg
I love the curve shape of the Floret design. You could ask him to translate it to a ring. The bottom needs to be open though for cleaning:
3E0C07D0-7899-4B4A-8617-04835BB96EF5.jpeg
The Floret translation he made for my black opal:
CA5F2A3E-5F56-427B-9269-5F33ACEB99DE.jpeg
Selection of elegant chique designs:
1CD43BD2-74F1-4907-A5D4-441183130746.jpeg 7854A544-3F62-41ED-8992-25C787200A02.jpeg

Attachments

• DE7442E8-6A7B-4D43-8AD2-6DBD6AAB85DB.jpeg
    DE7442E8-6A7B-4D43-8AD2-6DBD6AAB85DB.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 13

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Wanaka I love your beautiful sapphire! It has a gorgeous color with maybe just a tiny hint of teal. The Montana sapphires have a wonderful moodiness, and they do tend to be found in smaller stone rough. I can see why yours captivated you! It changes so much, and all the colors are pretty! Enjoy!!!
Thank you! Dana and Rachelle called this colour "steely blue to blue-green" and what really drew me was the sparkle - they said "very very slight inclusion not seen with naked eye" and I don't have a loupe so can't see anything, it looks pretty darn perfect to me ::)

Wow! It’s great to see the video. My eyes were immediately drawn to yours. The smaller stone of the two. It has such presence and character. If it were for me I would not have had any doubts in choosing THE one.

The other blue is also really nice, but personally I hugely prefer yours. Great choice!

Curious to see your other projects progressing
Everyone I've shown the video to has said the same thing, it's amazing because we would have gotten the big one if we hadn't seen the side-by-side performance and light return of the smaller. Just goes to show that size isn't always the decider... my heart went pitter patter as soon as we saw the video and how the little one sparkled. As for my other projects, hehe, I will post tomorrow about a ruby I just found... on top of the emerald we have on the go right now! :lol-2:

Next post will be a settings inspo for my sapphire engagement ring! :mrgreen2:

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you all who have shown me some settings inspo especially you @Acinom! Thought I'd gather the current thinking of my man and I on setting the my sapphire.

My man loves providing input into the setting process and based on previous experience with our tbc anniversary ring, we have quite similar tastes and ideas, which makes life pretty darn easy, yay! The key words he would like to keep in mind for setting this are elegant, refined, and timeless. I'd like to add minimalist to the list too.
  • I have a US size 6 finger and the sapphire is a 5.6 mm round.
  • Definite no's so far: No bezel, no halo, no knife edge (not comfortable for me at all).
  • Potentially open for discussion: Multi-stones to a max of three including the centre sapphire, but we both strongly prefer a 'true' solitaire setting.
  • No. of claws: I know six is the norm for a round, but what about a four-claw set north-east-south-west? Four-claw is an attractive idea as we have heard it helps make a gem look spreadier, is this true? I just want to avoid having a 'boxy' look as my emerald anniversary ring is a squarish emerald cut, and I don't want to have 'same same' shapes in my (currently Spartan!) jewellery collection.
  • Ring width: I would prefer a slim band (of course overall engineering durability is a must) and am guessing 1.8-2 mm would suffice?
  • Wedding band: I will be wearing my wedding band separately from my engagement ring, so no need to consider band or stacking limitations.
  • Metal: Definitely platinum.
Inspiration so far:

Thanks to @Crystal_Dreams on RockyTalky, I have stumbled across the work of the Japanese artist Kataoka. Almost everything on that website is my aesthetic and I have a personal connection and fondness for Japan. The downside is that I don't know if they will work with outside stones, and the cost may be excessively prohibitive. We may end up getting wedding bands from Kataoka as a compromise (not set in stone yet...)

Here is the general 'look' or aesthetic I like (Kataoka twisting vine ring):
Kataoka Twisting Hand Side.png

My absolute favourite part about the Kataoka twisting vine ring is the basket (am I saying that right?). It seems to be forged or cast as part of the rest of the ring:
Kataoka Twisting Vine Close Up 2 (Head).png
@Acinom I noticed that Alistair's baskets seem to be soldered on separately? Not sure if that is the case with your rings, can you please check and let me know?

Here is a side view of the Kataoka twisting vine ring, I love the twist to the shoulders:
Kataoka Twisting Vine Close Up 1.png

I would like a slim band but of course balancing that against construction durability... my man is an engineer so he would definitely want some decent structural work, lol. I am open to having a tapered shank running between the shoulders to the claw basket bits.

I also really like the idea of a twisted or swoop-y shank, similar to the below (not sure if this can work with a Kataoka-style basket though?):
Inspo - Twisted Shank.jpg

And stalking other PS threads, I came across this ring, where the defined shoulders (looking from above) look nice:
Inspo - Shoulders (Anchor 31) 1.jpg Inspo - Shoulders (Anchor 31) 2.jpg

So in short - is it possible / structurally possible to have a head like the Kataoka ring, with a tapered / twisted shank, and possibly some shoulder definition to add interest?

Any other ideas guys and gals?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great list. I think you have narrowed it down to some elegant essentials. I love the Kataoka inspiration ring.
Hope others will chime in about the aspect of safety. 2mm is definitely regarded as safe.

If you cannot work with Kataoka, I would contact David Klass. He is great to work with and works with outside stones. He is quite the PS darling nowadays and has made some stunning jewelry pieces.

Regarding your question: Alistair makes handforged pieces mostly. I have rings made out of one piece and rings with a separate head (white gold gor the head and RG for the shank).

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVELY stone! Going with a lighter blue sapphire is very much my preference. Dana is very good at cutting sparkly sapphires.

My personal vote is for 6 prongs. I have noticed that 4 prongs tends to make round stones look square. My sapphire from Dana is set into a 6 prong solitaire setting.

Filtered bright sunlight.jpg

Now see how this round stone in 4 prongs looks a bit square. Sorry it's such a poor photo I am terrible at ear shots. My husband actually mistook it for a square stone the other day.

20180720_154451.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
I love how you have everything planned out, going for understated elegance :geek2:...but did I just see you talk about getting an emerald anniversary ring before you have your engagement ring? o_O

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are some more pics of the sapphire (hmm @Bron357 I might have to call upon you for a name please, hehe). Just taken with my phone and not edited in any way, so probably not the best!

Oh and my ring size is US 6. And yes my nails are always that short due to where I work LOL

Morning light outside but in the car so somewhat shaded/diffuse:
1 Outdoors Shade.jpg

Indoors at the office, a combination of overhead office lighting (fluorescent probably) and morning sun coming in through the window:
2 Indoors Fluoro and Natural.jpg

Probably my least favourite, indoors at the office again away from the window, with my head blocking the overhead office lighting (still can see some sparkle though?):
3 Indoors Fluro Dark.jpg

And finally, indoors at the office, away from the window, just overhead office lighting as a light source:
4 Indoors Fluoro.jpg

My skin tone is all over the show too! LOL
Lovely! Can’t wait to see what you decide for setting. And I agree with the thought that diamond melee would wash out the color a bit.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kataoka’s pieces are STUNNING. And they DO work with outside stones for custom orders! Their settings don’t come cheap (at all), but for such a unique and beautiful look... I love their stuff.

Unfortunately I have not had a custom piece made with them, but I do own several ready made pieces.

Please send Anis an email and ask about them making a special ring for you. It would be absoltely spectacular.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another person whose work you might like looking at these inspirations is Melanie Casey. I think your inspirations will help that sapphire really sing on your hand. It’s a beautiful stone (and was totally the more mesmerising of the pair in that video, wow!)
In answer to your question earlier, in Christchurch I get stuff done by Canterbury Manufacturing Jewellers. They have a slightly uninspiring website but a ring they made for me off my inspiration drawings and some additional pics is in my Rose cuts thread in the Fabulous Fashion Jewelery forum (easiest way to get there is to tap my username and look at threads I’ve posted). It turned out really well and is one of my staple daily pieces.
That basket style you like in Kataoka’s ring looks like quite an old style and is very elegant - I think @Niel or @Tourmaline have similar settings.
Who is making your anniversary ring? I hope you’ll share pictures with us!

kitten24

Rough_Rock
Hello from another kiwi :wavey: just wanted to say that your sapphire is gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing how the ring comes together. Blooms Fine Jewellery in Napier have made a couple of (very small) items for me over the years, their site could be worth a look?

:wavey: Ohh haaaaaaaii there @foxinsox, are you in Jafaland too? I wonder how many of us Kiwis are here! I think "dire" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what we don't have available here. We went to a few other stores too and they were just pushing carat, carat, carat for diamonds. I did get to see a fancy yellow diamond though - 10 carats or something nuts like that, tried it on and decided I'd rather have an Aston Martin :lol-2:

@Mrs_Strizzle Thank you for your nice words about my sapphire. I don't know anyone else (bar one of my friends whom I directed to MasterCut Gems) who is engaged here without a diamond too. Would love to see your collection of pretties!

@Acinom Thanks for your kind words too, I know you from PS as a collector so really nice to see your thoughts. Moody - my Montana is definitely that - I will post up some photos below actually. I have been following Alistair Kelsey on FB because I saw you had commented on him previously. I LIKE your blue zircon too btw! Really pops in that setting! Oh and @lovedogs too, may I ask you ladies if Alistair was ok with setting other stones not sourced from him? He is based in Oz so "across the ditch" from me, hmm, wonder if taxes will be an issue for us... Or I could hop over for a shopping trip to IKEA...? :mrgreen2::mrgreen2::mrgreen2:

@Bluegemz Subtle is a great descriptor, oh you guys are really helping me put words to this stone as all I can really do is dribble hehe. Thank you! Yes it is really sparkly in the right lighting and I feel so frustrated as I can't get any decent pics of it. On RockyTalky they talk about super-ideal cuts and I wonder if some of the angles Dana used when faceting are similar to those MRB super-ideal proportions? My sapphire looks bigger to me than its size, but well I'm not exactly experienced. See pics in next post :bigsmile:

@Arkteia I wish you lived closer to NZ or visited more, well next time you come we must have a mini PS catch up. Would be only too happy to show you around! Can you imagine trying to find sapphires that match the blues that you can see in our lakes and glaciers?! Oooooh that could be my next project????!!! :cheeky: I am definitely enjoying this sapphire - luckily my man is supportive and interested in the gem hunt and custom setting, so with you guys here I am well aided and abetted in this new little hobby of mine :lol-2:

@AnastasiaBeaverhausen Yes I am concerned that having diamonds in the setting may out-bling or wash out the sapphire. I'm not sure... will post more below as I start thinking through the actual setting process. I'll definitely be asking you guys for advice! In the meantime I like those gold (?) shoulder things on the James Meyer inspo ring you posted here. I don't know what they are called?

I think those should things are called "cuffs"? I've also seen them on rings by Sally from Heart of Water on Etsy. She's based in Thailand though... But I'm assuming it's a detail that shouldn't be too difficult to include for most bench jewelers? PSers, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
HOW cuffs.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BC8E2665-EA85-495B-857C-13CD393CF34B.jpeg 14EBACD3-2570-408E-8CFD-033FEF28B7F4.jpeg
I think those should things are called "cuffs"? I've also seen them on rings by Sally from Heart of Water on Etsy. She's based in Thailand though... But I'm assuming it's a detail that shouldn't be too difficult to include for most bench jewelers? PSers, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
HOW cuffs.jpg
Yes, I think she is referring to the cuffs. Any jeweller will be able to create them. Here is an example of my ring by Victor Canera with diamond cuffs. Without diamonds it will have the understated elegant look you are looking for @Wanaka.

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
LOVELY stone! Going with a lighter blue sapphire is very much my preference. Dana is very good at cutting sparkly sapphires.

My personal vote is for 6 prongs. I have noticed that 4 prongs tends to make round stones look square. My sapphire from Dana is set into a 6 prong solitaire setting.

Filtered bright sunlight.jpg

Now see how this round stone in 4 prongs looks a bit square. Sorry it's such a poor photo I am terrible at ear shots. My husband actually mistook it for a square stone the other day.

20180720_154451.jpg
Ooh, that is a lovely sapphire, is it a Montana too? What's the size in mm (helps me visualise)? And hmm yes the four-claw does make your earring look a little square, LOL at your husband, bless, at least he noticed ::) Oh, and what is the mm size of your earring please?

I love how you have everything planned out, going for understated elegance :geek2:...but did I just see you talk about getting an emerald anniversary ring before you have your engagement ring? o_O
Hehe, sorry, more confusion from me again :oops: The anniversary ring was the first project we started together, my man wanted to get me one to commemorate our last year together. I wanted an emerald (just 'cause) and it started us into browsing online, looking at PS, etc. and also helped us start to discuss our engagement ring. I guess the simplest way to look at it is that these are two projects going on in tandem - separate yet intertwined! I am so happy that he is cheerfully aiding and abetting our jewellery habit, he will definitely be involved in every piece we purchase/design :kiss2:

Edited to add: Oh and @foxinsox my emerald anniversary ring is being made by Yvonne Raley on Etsy, I have posted a pic of the emerald on the Emeralds thread here

Last edited:

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
Ok so following on from everyone's input so far, here is the list of potential jewellers to set my sapphire:
  • Kataoka - :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky:
  • Alistair Kelsey - Based in Oz so near-ish and with a time zone advantage, @Acinom eee I am so excited he hand forges, I have a really romantic idea about an artisan working on my ring. Please would you post a photo of the one-piece he has made for you, I'd like to have a look at the head/basket/someone give me the right term please :lol-2:
  • Melanie Casey - Need to do some Google and IG stalking on her.
  • Canterbury Manufacturing Jewellers - Local-ish based in CHC so worthwhile checking out, thanks @foxinsox, need to do some PS stalking too.
  • Blooms Fine Jewellery - Also local-ish to me as based in Napier, thanks @kitten24. Can you please post up a pic of the pieces they've made for you?
I will discuss with my man but at this stage it looks like I'll send Anis at Kataoka an email first. @Crystal_Dreams is Anis fluent in English? My Japanese is pretty shoddy and I am actually looking at taking lessons later this year, but I don't think in time to hold a complicated email conversation about a setting :lol-2:

Not sure if this post is OK as I thought it'd be good to have a 'run sheet' of everything so far, it helps me think and process and I can also show this to my man - who says hello to y'all btw ::)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I guess the simplest way to look at it is that these are two projects going on in tandem - separate yet intertwined! I am so happy that he is cheerfully aiding and abetting our jewellery habit, he will definitely be involved in every piece we purchase/design :kiss2:
:P2OK, that makes more sense. Yay for DF aiding and getting involved in your jewellery projects! Always happy to have a partner who shares in your hobbies. Please post about your emerald and how that project is going, I don't believe I have seen it. :geek2:

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
Ok and now to the more technical nitty-gritty, your input is welcome please ladies and gents ::)

So thanks to @Acinom and @AnastasiaBeaverhausen I have learned a new word - cuffs! I quite like the look of them. Just concerned that it could be one design element too many for my ring, but I guess we can review that when there is a drawing or CAD to see. Definitely without the diamonds though for a future project, diamond cuffs like yours Acinom could be very pretty! It also looks like the Kataoka twisting vine ring has something cuff-like anyway? (See pic, circled in blue:)
Kataoka Twisting Vine Side.jpg

Has anyone got any comments on the width of the band from a safety perspective? I guess I should be glad I don't have a huge rock because then I'd be worrying heaps about a big stone on a slim wee band :mrgreen2:

Also would love to hear more from anyone who has a four-claw but set in N-E-S-W orientation.

What about thoughts on a six-claw cutting out light and therefore potentially de-sparkling my erstwhile sparkly sapphire?

And finally... I found a pair of unused eyebrow tweezers in my bathroom drawer, is it ok for me to use that to pick up my sapphire? :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2: Otherwise if someone can point me in the direction of a decent tweezer/holder thing for stones I would appreciate it. Thinking of getting a lighted loupe too, this isn't going to be our last loose gem purchase after all :mrgreen2::mrgreen2::mrgreen2:

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
:P2OK, that makes more sense. Yay for DF aiding and getting involved in your jewellery projects! Always happy to have a partner who shares in your hobbies. Please post about your emerald and how that project is going, I don't believe I have seen it. :geek2:
I think I have stuffed up the link in that post responding to you and fox, let me try here:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-me-your-emeralds.183829/page-11#post-4328458 That's just the emerald and I will post now about the progress update on that one :mrgreen2:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 12

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, that is a lovely sapphire, is it a Montana too? What's the size in mm (helps me visualise)? And hmm yes the four-claw does make your earring look a little square, LOL at your husband, bless, at least he noticed ::) Oh, and what is the mm size of your earring please?

Thanks @Wanaka It is from Tanzania and it is a 7.3 mm round. It is the largest colored stone I've set. It's on a size 5.75 finger. The earring is 6 mm.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Wanaka, yes Anis speaks English! Actually, I don’t think he’s Japanese. I wonder if maybe he’s French...(?) his surname is Boundraa. I’m still waiting to hear back from him re: my own custom piece which unfortunately fell off the tracks a bit for them in terms of communication, but I will keep updating on the other thread on how it all plays out...

ETA, Alistair Kelsey is LOVELY. I always meant to have him make me a piece too and haven’t had it done yet, but I have spoken to him several times and he is sooo accomodating and his communication is amazing. I accidentally bent/broke one of my Jbg bangles and he fixed it for me and polished it back up even though it wasn’t one of his pieces with no charge. I am determined to have him set something for me one day.

Melanie Casey is also on my list of jewellers to have something from... but for the pieces, I find the prices steep. They’re very pretty and the aesthetic is the closest to Kataoka, but don’t have the same level of uber boutique one of a kind feel that Kataoka has..

I mean, Kataoka is expensive!! But the man does EVERY PIECE by himself. In this tiny little corner in his shop in Tokyo! All the gold they use is from recycled electronics and they mix it all themselves. then there’s the cost of labour of something handmade in Japan by a Japanese master jeweller...
(You can probably tell despite my issues with communication with them, that I really favour this brand lol...)

I don’t know about sparkliness being affected by the number of prongs... but I WILL say that my ex-ering had 3 prongs and that stone lit up far more than other people’s erings around me. It wasn’t a super ideal cut either (though it was a GIA XXX) so I actually do believe the amount of light entry with different settings makes a difference. Same for my 6 prong BGD studs vs the 4 prong setting I got my mum... vs my Barbara bezel BGD pendant. All of those smaller stones are super ideal cut... and I DO notice a difference in sparkle factor between settings. Having said that, I too favour the look of 6 prongs vs the more squarish appearance of 4. Very much up to personal preference!

Last edited:
Ok and now to the more technical nitty-gritty, your input is welcome please ladies and gents ::)

So thanks to @Acinom and @AnastasiaBeaverhausen I have learned a new word - cuffs! I quite like the look of them. Just concerned that it could be one design element too many for my ring, but I guess we can review that when there is a drawing or CAD to see. Definitely without the diamonds though for a future project, diamond cuffs like yours Acinom could be very pretty! It also looks like the Kataoka twisting vine ring has something cuff-like anyway? (See pic, circled in blue:)
Kataoka Twisting Vine Side.jpg

Has anyone got any comments on the width of the band from a safety perspective? I guess I should be glad I don't have a huge rock because then I'd be worrying heaps about a big stone on a slim wee band :mrgreen2:

Also would love to hear more from anyone who has a four-claw but set in N-E-S-W orientation.

What about thoughts on a six-claw cutting out light and therefore potentially de-sparkling my erstwhile sparkly sapphire?

And finally... I found a pair of unused eyebrow tweezers in my bathroom drawer, is it ok for me to use that to pick up my sapphire? :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2: Otherwise if someone can point me in the direction of a decent tweezer/holder thing for stones I would appreciate it. Thinking of getting a lighted loupe too, this isn't going to be our last loose gem purchase after all :mrgreen2::mrgreen2::mrgreen2:

I think if the prongs are done well and the basket is open enough, then a 6-prong should perform similarly to a 4-prong.

I have a 4-prong NESW but they're not claws. It's this setting -- vendor semimount.jpg
I felt like it added to the vintage look I was looking for.

And I'd hesitate to use any ol' tweezers you find lying around. I bought a pair of gem tweezers and it has these lil teeth/ridges that help grip the stone without scratching it. Not sure if regular tweezers might damage your stones. I'm fortunate enough to live near a shop that carried accessories for jewelry (tweezers, loupes, calipers, gem boxes, etc.) so I was about to play around with everything before buying. Otherwise I have had to to order things online.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, that’s not a cuff after all in your inspiration ring. The shank is actually ‘twisted’. You should show this pic to the jeweller you will select and ask if it can be made.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B6C6C50D-C933-4184-8E4B-79C63BC7CA76.jpeg C8962864-07F4-4C42-A7BF-37F94A5911B4.jpeg D42406D2-C53C-47BD-9A74-3E3D37EB1A43.jpeg
Re. your question: here is a pic of the head/shank connection on one of my AK rings (I actually have 7 rings from him). Mine is a WG head with 6 wire prongs, but he can make the head as you like: 4 prongs, more ‘peg-head’ like etc.

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Wanaka, yes Anis speaks English! Actually, I don’t think he’s Japanese. I wonder if maybe he’s French...(?) his surname is Boundraa. I’m still waiting to hear back from him re: my own custom piece which unfortunately fell off the tracks a bit for them in terms of communication, but I will keep updating on the other thread on how it all plays out...

ETA, Alistair Kelsey is LOVELY. I always meant to have him make me a piece too and haven’t had it done yet, but I have spoken to him several times and he is sooo accomodating and his communication is amazing. I accidentally bent/broke one of my Jbg bangles and he fixed it for me and polished it back up even though it wasn’t one of his pieces with no charge. I am determined to have him set something for me one day.

Melanie Casey is also on my list of jewellers to have something from... but for the pieces, I find the prices steep. They’re very pretty and the aesthetic is the closest to Kataoka, but don’t have the same level of uber boutique one of a kind feel that Kataoka has..

I mean, Kataoka is expensive!! But the man does EVERY PIECE by himself. In this tiny little corner in his shop in Tokyo! All the gold they use is from recycled electronics and they mix it all themselves. then there’s the cost of labour of something handmade in Japan by a Japanese master jeweller...
(You can probably tell despite my issues with communication with them, that I really favour this brand lol...)

I don’t know about sparkliness being affected by the number of prongs... but I WILL say that my ex-ering had 3 prongs and that stone lit up far more than other people’s erings around me. It wasn’t a super ideal cut either (though it was a GIA XXX) so I actually do believe the amount of light entry with different settings makes a difference. Same for my 6 prong BGD studs vs the 4 prong setting I got my mum... vs my Barbara bezel BGD pendant. All of those smaller stones are super ideal cut... and I DO notice a difference in sparkle factor between settings. Having said that, I too favour the look of 6 prongs vs the more squarish appearance of 4. Very much up to personal preference!
So I checked out Melanie Casey, I see what you mean about her style being similar to Kataoka. The pricing is fairly similar too from a really quick look, so at the moment I am leaning towards Kataoka still. Is this your first custom with Kataoka (everything else has been ready-made so to speak)? And I can definitely see why you like him! Small artisanal details like that, I really appreciate and respect that.

Tbh one of the things that made me go with the sapphire was that it's a U.S. gem, mined in the U.S. and cut by an American (Dana). It seems almost like a 'gate-to-plate' but for gems, quite a cool concept.

The six vs. four claws decision is starting to do my head in!!! :wall: :lol-2:

Ehrmigod this is an AMAZING design, wow wow wow it is so unusual! So bold! Definitely vintage feel, kind of art deco to my eyes (I hope that wasn't an insult!) Did you custom that?

And I'd hesitate to use any ol' tweezers you find lying around. I bought a pair of gem tweezers and it has these lil teeth/ridges that help grip the stone without scratching it. Not sure if regular tweezers might damage your stones. I'm fortunate enough to live near a shop that carried accessories for jewelry (tweezers, loupes, calipers, gem boxes, etc.) so I was about to play around with everything before buying. Otherwise I have had to to order things online.
Ummm whoops so I had a play before I read this, and now I hope I haven't munted the girdle on my sapphire... :cry2: I am a bad girl, ok back it goes into the cotton wool and paper wrap and plastic baggie it lives in... I need to find some jeweller bits and pieces, stat!

Ah, that’s not a cuff after all in your inspiration ring. The shank is actually ‘twisted’. You should show this pic to the jeweller you will select and ask if it can be made.
Seven AK rings, you go girl. I take that as a high recommendation for sure! As for the twist/cuff... I rather like that it's twisted at the same approximate location that a cuff would sit. Could be the best of both worlds for me, a cuff-like design element but more subtle than an actual cuff, even if the cuff is minus diamonds?! And I can prevail upon my man to make the next ring :mrgreen: with proper cuffs :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert and could be wrong, however, sapphires and rubies are heavier and tend to be cut deeper than diamonds, as such, a 6.5mm diameter stone is likely to be heavier than a 6.5mm diameter diamond.
In CS, the norm is to talk in size as in face up cut size.
Check out Jeff White's galleries of cut gems and his clients' rings set with his stones for inspirations.
He is my go-to cutter, easy to communicate and offers great customer services. His cutting is superb, of course.
Enjoy spec'ing your ring.

DK :))

@Wanaka art deco definitely isn't an insult! I didn't design that though. It's from mydiamondzone (I think it's what Ivy & Rose used to be called...) Anyways, they have a store on ebay.

I hope I didn't scare you too much about using tweezers! Most likely they're fine. It's more when we accidentally drop the gem or it gets pinged away into oblivion by one of these things:
DIS407GD_l.jpg

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think if the prongs are done well and the basket is open enough, then a 6-prong should perform similarly to a 4-prong.

I have a 4-prong NESW but they're not claws. It's this setting -- vendor semimount.jpg
I felt like it added to the vintage look I was looking for.

I Don’t mean to thread jack but I have been thinking of getting the exact setting you have! Could you share an in real life pic? The vendor didn’t share it with me. Super curious to see how the prongs look on the stone

I Don’t mean to thread jack but I have been thinking of getting the exact setting you have! Could you share an in real life pic? The vendor didn’t share it with me. Super curious to see how the prongs look on the stone

Sorry they're not the best pics as I took them in my living room at night, but hopefully they'll give you an idea of how the prongs turned out:
20180726_213151.jpg 20180726_213324.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results