shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond table size and viewability

sjors86

Rough_Rock
I'm new in the jewelry and just bought my first ring with diamonds. It contains 4 princess cut diamonds each with a diameter of 2,5mm. Something that I noticed, is that under more than a few angle you can see the table of the diamond, more then I expected. Under bright sun light it seems less, but when hold in dimm light or with a lamp it happens.

I'm not sure if this has to do anything with the quality of the diamond or that this is something every diamond has. I have had this ring made and the jeweler told me she always uses vvsi grade diamonds.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I think we may have a terminology problem. The table of the diamond is the flat surface cut on the top of the diamond. It is surrounded by crown facets. So all diamonds that have a table facet will have the table visible since it is right at the top center of the stone! So I am not at all sure of what you are meaning. It has nothing to do with clarity.

sjors86

Rough_Rock
I'm talking about the table like you defined, but what I mean is that when the table is visible (shining towards your eyes like the glass of a watch) it's not like a sparkle, but it's more like it "sucks away" all other sparkle and you only see something that looks like a flat surface of glass and your not impressed by it quality.

I know this sounds weird, I will see if I can catch it on a cam.

Ps. Thanks for the quick reply

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sparkle comes mainly from the pavilion facets (lower half of the stones), but the whole diamond needs to be well cut to sparkle. The table is always visible, 100% of the time. If the table is at an angle and reflecting light shining on it, then yes, that flat surface isn't supposed to sparkle.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think what you're seeing is table glare. The table of a diamond is a large flat surface so, if light hits it at an angle, it will give a very large chunk of 'sparkle' - so large your eyes register it as glare, not sparkle. The pretty kind of smaller sparkles come from the smaller facets of a diamond reflecting light, like DiamondSeeker explained. Princess cuts are cut with large tables so I guess are prone to giving more glare than cuts with smaller tables.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if you have VVS or IF clarity, if the cut is not optimal, your sparkle will be subpar.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results