shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs...what setting and what size would you get?

What type of setting would you get for diamond studs?

• 3 prong martini

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • 4 prong basket

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • bezel with milgrain

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • bezel without milgrain

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love diamond studs and I'm deciding which style to get. I keep thinking that I'd get one style and then I change my mind. Over and over again. So, if you were getting studs, what setting would you get and why?

I'm not sure what the budget is yet, but I'd like something over .30 ct. each ear. I have those already and I'd like something more substantial. The potential budget is $2000 tops (setting and diamonds together). I'd be thrilled to get something for less though.

No matter what I go with, I've decided against screw backs. From everything I've read, they seem like a pain to deal with.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Diamond studs...what setting and what size would you get

I'm voting for milgrained bezels, 'cause I looooooooooove mine, and I like to share the love. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, they're secure: you never worry about losing a stone. They add a little bit of diameter, which never hurts. And, speaking personally, they look a little vintage-y, which goes with my style perfectly. So ... no downsides, baby!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

i love the martini settings cuz they are much easiler to clean.my wife's basket setting are PITB to clean.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the bezels but ended up getting a three prong martini. I love how they kind of float on your ear. I found a picture in the
stud thread with a martini and a bezel stud side by side. My DH and daughter both liked the martini better.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd like to get a smaller pair to do the milgrain bezels, but I chose 4 prong baskets for my .65 each pair. I'll have to say though, if you already have a pair of .30 each, I think you might consider saving to get .5 each at least (.6-.65 even better). Otherwise you'll have two pair that are too close in size, in my opinion.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have .7cttw pre set bezel studs from BGD and I think they're perfect. I like the look of bezels in just about any situation, I think they add some size to the stones and they just look smooth and clean.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think I might get something like this.

That said I agree with the other posters, I would save up to get a more noticeable bump in size. I

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock

I was looking for something in the .90 range until I started reading about different options. Now I'm looking for something around 1.00 tcw and they will be set in a four prong basket setting. I just like the traditional look.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

my vote is for the 3 prong martini studs. I love how understated and "all diamond" they are...

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock

I voted 3-prong-martini. I love how the diamonds pop more and how they sit a bit closer to the earlobe with no droop at all. (My second choice would be 4-prong-baskets). I don't think you could go wrong either way; they are all beautiful classics!

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock

I said 4 prong because that's what I picked. But I picked that because it looked best in my ear - gave the diamonds a more square look as I find I really don't like the round look on me. My Dad agreed too who was buying them for me at the time! I'd pick what looks good on you. I would love some with a halo :love:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a pair in three prong martinis and love them, they are so comfy. But I do adore bezels! I really like plain, sleek bezel set studs, gorgeous!! And the increase in diameter can't be beat :wink2:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks for the votes everyone!

I'll either go with WF or BGD.

If I go with the martini setting, I'll be leaning toward .60-.70 ct. preset WG studs from BGD. I don't think I could go wrong there, and I don't mind that they'd be preset.

I'm not sure about the bezels. I LOVE milgrained anything, so if I went with bezels, they'd most likely have milgrain. I'll have to look into these more though.

Oooh, I keep forgetting about ID Jewelry. Maybe I'll look there too. They seem to be getting more PS business these days.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I vote for the 3-prong Martini studs. I am going that route when I upgrade my studs.

My goal is 1.80ctw studs :cheeky: I currently have a 1.02 I VVS2 RB that I am going to have recut and will find a matching stone for studs. :naughty:

Bosie

Shiny_Rock

3 prong martini setting vote here!
Also consider the LaPousette backs.
Best of luck

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm actually surprised there aren't more votes for bezels. Huh.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Can you upgrade the studs you have?

Would you ever want to upgrade these ones?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

I voted for milgrained bezels! Maybe we'll be stud twins too. I'm working on putting together a pair of 0.6-0.7ctw OECs, and they'll either be studs or paired with a bezeled colored stone in a drop.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1307912733|2944225 said:
Can you upgrade the studs you have?

Would you ever want to upgrade these ones?

I can't upgrade the studs I have now. They were a gift from my parents for my 21st birthday. They were bought at a local jeweler who doesn't have any sort of upgrade policy.

As far as upgrading a new pair someday, I'm not sure if I would. Possibly but not definitely I suppose.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Selkie|1307918512|2944280 said:
I voted for milgrained bezels! Maybe we'll be stud twins too. I'm working on putting together a pair of 0.6-0.7ctw OECs, and they'll either be studs or paired with a bezeled colored stone in a drop.

Sounds gorgeous!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock

I like the Martini. Wow, I didn't realize how affordable the pre-sets were. Now I am droooling over them! I just asked DH (very nicely) if we could get these instead of paying our rent this month. We'll see what he says :cheeky:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

megumic|1307968335|2944631 said:
I like the Martini. Wow, I didn't realize how affordable the pre-sets were. Now I am droooling over them! I just asked DH (very nicely) if we could get these instead of paying our rent this month. We'll see what he says :cheeky:

I know, right? The pre-sets are really affordable, and I know they'd be great quality.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Zoe, aren't the ones from BG almost the same size as the ones you already have? Do you just not wear the old ones?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1307970139|2944652 said:
Zoe, aren't the ones from BG almost the same size as the ones you already have? Do you just not wear the old ones?

The studs I currently have are .30 ct. each. I like them but they look really small in my first hole (they're better in my second holes). I'm thinking about getting .60-.70 ct. each ear. Sorry if I confused you!

Frenchgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Mine are 0.40 and 0.41.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Zoe|1307972995|2944682 said:

The studs I currently have are .30 ct. each. I like them but they look really small in my first hole (they're better in my second holes). I'm thinking about getting .60-.70 ct. each ear. Sorry if I confused you!

Yeah, it sounded like .30 per ear ;-) Not all of us know you have studs already (LOL!)

Do martinis stretch out ear lobes? I thought they do or has that been proven to not be the case?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

MC|1307984910|2944791 said:
Zoe|1307972995|2944682 said:

Yeah, it sounded like .30 per ear ;-) Not all of us know you have studs already (LOL!)

Do martinis stretch out ear lobes? I thought they do or has that been proven to not be the case?

I mentioned it above in my first post. Sorry if I confused you, MC. I haven't heard that martinis stretch out ear lobes. I'll go take a look and see if I find anything that mentions it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

late to the party ::) but If I could do it again, I would get bezels with milgrain :love: so my vote for .60-.70ctw bezel milgrain :appl: but my preference has always been for more metal, so I'm biased. What do you like? Less metal more diamond? more metal accentuate the roundness and size of diamond?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oooh, fun project!

I would go bezels with milgrain, no question, in the largest size my budget could manage. I just plain love that look, so it's an easy one for me.

I feel like a lot of martini prong owners say the studs seem to get lost in their earlobes--am I making this up? I swear I've read that on here before. I have mushy earlobes, so that would concern me about the martini-style prongs if it's an actual thing people report and not a figment of my imagination. :bigsmile:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

D&T -- I love these: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gog-avr-bgd-bezel-milgrain-puddle-of-love.157256/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gog-avr-bgd-bezel-milgrain-puddle-of-love.157256/[/URL]
I seriously go to the "show me your studs" thread several times a day and browse.

I love the milgrain work that BGD does, and I'd love to work with them someday. The bezel and milgrain are so delicate and beautiful, and I love the profile.

I'd look at IDJ for the price, mostly. I haven't seen a bezeled profile that I'm in love with from them, but I'd consider looking some more in order to save money.

About what I want more -- I'm not sure. Ack! I was reading your questions and I answered "yes" to all of them. :bigsmile:

Haven -- it's so funny that you wrote what you did. I was actually wondering the same thing. I have a few pairs of earrings that get kind of lost in my ears because I push the backs so far in. I'm paranoid about them falling out, so I guess I go to extremes to make sure they won't. If that makes sense.

Here's a pic of e-prong martinis from WF that I really like. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-wf-martini-studs.53239/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-wf-martini-studs.53239/[/URL]

I almost didn't start this thread because I'm so darn indecisive and it takes me forever to make a decision about anything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results