shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs...what setting and what size would you get?

What type of setting would you get for diamond studs?

• 3 prong martini

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • 4 prong basket

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • bezel with milgrain

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • bezel without milgrain

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Diamond studs...what setting and what size would you get

I think I would make sure to get stones you can upgrade, not presets, because you might want that option later.

And since you don't plan to upgrade anytimes soon, to maximize size I would get the milgrain bezels!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1307996461|2944943 said:
I think I would make sure to get stones you can upgrade, not presets, because you might want that option later.

And since you don't plan to upgrade anytimes soon, to maximize size I would get the milgrain bezels!

Good point about the presets. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I hadn't really thought of that actually, so I'm glad you pointed it out, DD. Thanks! I have also decided that when I do go ahead and order them, it will be bezels with milgrain.

:appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, .60-.70 per ear makes more sense! My new ones are .65 each and that size is a great value since there is a price jump at .70.

I would not spend the money on milgrain bezel setting unless they are your forever pair, though. Too much money down the drain if you think you might upgrade later. I adore the milgrain bezel on my pendant, but I am not sure I want to commit to that on my studs. I sort of want to buy a smaller pair of about .40 each to do the milgrain bezels and still have the others in a prong setting. One of the many non-essentials on my wish list! :lol:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

I certainly don't know if I'm going to be of any help. I'm upgrading my studs too. My previous were .70tcw, and my new will be 1 carat. I had the 3 prong martini and they got soooo dirty so quickly because they were always so far into my ears. I have small and thin earlobes, so I had to keep pushing them into my earlobes to keep them from drooping. I'm kind of worried that any open backed earrings will continue to get dirty by being in direct contact with my ears. So, I think I'm going old school and doing a version of the basket four prong to keep them off my lobe and continue to be sparkly. Since I choose vintage stones, they aren't ideal cut, thus they benefit from light coming into them from all angles to be their most sparkly. Now, I'm not thinking of going old fashioned regular baskets, but have some other ideas. We'll see if those work out without being too bulky.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1. Absolutely agree since you are not too sure now, meaning that you might want to some day. So I'd go with something that'd give you that option, you could then choose whether or not to upgrade.

And I also vote for milgrained bezels. I love both martini's and bezels but bezels definitely add a bit more width (and would make the new ones stand out from your current studs). Milgrain is so elegant, in an understated kind of way. If I get another pair of studs (like a pair of Octavia's) I'll def 1000% go with milgrained bezels - esp since those asschers face up so much smaller than RB's; but anyway, I digress.

Martini's, from what I understand, can stretch out the holes in yr lobes if i) there isn't a dome "thingy" at the bottom of the 3 prongs and ii) if you push them in too far. Mine have domes and my holes are not stretched.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Zoe|1308005331|2945070 said:

Good point about the presets. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I hadn't really thought of that actually, so I'm glad you pointed it out, DD. Thanks! I have also decided that when I do go ahead and order them, it will be bezels with milgrain.

:appl:

Oh, yaaaaaaaaaaaay! I am very glad you decided on this route - I didn't want to be the pushy person who cheerleads her own choices, but, honestly, I am so happy with mine, and I think you'll love yours. I'm just like you in terms of not planning to upgrade for a long time, but ... still wanting the option. And, honestly, I think the settings amortize quickly, especially if you can get premade bezels - much cheaper than handmade, almost identical looks. If I ever get "forever" studs of a gazillion carats (which, frankly, grows less and less likely all the time, given how much I lurve these), then, maybe I'll think about gussying up my settings.

diamondseeker2006 said:
Okay, .60-.70 per ear makes more sense! My new ones are .65 each and that size is a great value since there is a price jump at .70.

Huh, really? I thought the price jump was at .75 ... d'oh!

alvina

Rough_Rock

hey...... i like 2 prong martini.... i have two pairs with the same setting

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results